March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone died of Magical Overload yet? New ghosts are not what they promised.

MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
Anyone died of Magical Overload yet?
I've had 3 consecutive overloads with the warning moodlet on - no death.
Is it because I'm in the Magic Realm?

Edit:
Got it, but the new ghosts are not quite what they promised.
Post edited by Morkovka on

Comments

• MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    No. Then again, I gave my spellcaster the carefree reward treat specifically so that she couldn’t die of overcharge :p
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    My evil old witch would have been dead by overload three times now if not for the saving intervention of her familiars. Maybe that's what saved yours too, @Morkovka?
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    edited September 2019
    Well, I wanted the ghost because in the livestream they said it'd be a constantly charged ghost who can't overload = constant overpowered spells.
    I got it after 6 overloads outside the Realm (all without familiar).
    In reality it's a ghost who charges up like any other spellcaster, gets negative moodets from it like any other spellcaster, overloads and blows up like any other spellcaster and the only perk is that it can't die again.
    Kinda lame :(
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2019
    Oh... well that kind of stinks. I thought it did a little more than that. I did plan on having a caster die so I could snag the trait, and then bringing them back to human form so that I could continue playing like usual. It would still be worth it to me if they won't die again as a revived sim, but if they have to stay in ghost form... I won't bother with it. :/

I could have sworn they said the sim would stay in a charged state, though. Maybe it's a bug?
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    edited September 2019
    Morkovka wrote: »
    Well, I wanted the ghost because in the livestream they said it'd be a constantly charged ghost who can't overload = constant overpowered spells.
    I got it after 6 overloads outside the Realm (all without familiar).
    In reality it's a ghost who charges up like any other spellcaster, gets negative moodets from it like any other spellcaster, overloads and blows up like any other spellcaster and the only perk is that it can't die again.
    Kinda lame :(
    Technically the ghost of a spellcaster who died of any cause would have this perk, since no ghost can die again. So, it was a bit disingenuous of them to imply that the ghosts of spellcasters who died of overcharge would get some special unique perk, if this is the only bonus they get.

Perhaps the perk is that when you resurrect the ghost of a spellcaster who died of overcharge that spellcaster won’t die again from overcharge?
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Yeah, I'd love to know if a resurrected spellcaster would keep that perk! I can actually see unscrupulous spellcasters drinking a Potion of Prompt Resurrection then deliberately overcharging to get the perk and be constantly OP.
    Dead or resurrected - the dissapointing part is that they don't stay charged.
    They charge up, overload and lose charge after it like any other spellcaster.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    Almost had mine die once- it was a close call but I have been lucky since then.

Definitely got me sweating a bit. 😬
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I’ve had a spellcaster die twice by overload but also had him revived by his familiar both times. I think that the perk the gurus mentioned (of not dying again by that method of death) applies to a sim who has died and been brought back to life by his/ her family by using necrocall and dedeathify — that sim can get overcharged again and never die (as others have pointed out) by that death type. As for the ghosts, they emit a bright glow from their chest area. It looks pretty nice actually.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Where did you get the idea that they would stay charged as a ghost? I don't remember them ever saying that. In the live stream they said that the ghost of a spellcaster couldn't die from overcharge again, not that they would stay charged.
    @RememberJoy Indeed it's possible that I misinterpreted what they said.

@MaggieMarley I did what you suggested and resurrected the ghost and she died of overload just fine right after that.

I'm just trying to figure out what's so special about this death type then, because any ghost can't die again, overload or otherwise.
    Morkovka wrote: »
    @RememberJoy Indeed it's possible that I misinterpreted what they said.

@MaggieMarley I did what you suggested and resurrected the ghost and she died of overload just fine right after that.

I'm just trying to figure out what's so special about this death type then, because any ghost can't die again, overload or otherwise.

I feared as much. How disappointing and yet predictable :(
  • Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    edited September 2019
    New ghosts are a joke and completely useless.

Just have "tense" moodlets disabled by perks - not only your sim won't die from overcharging and won't have any negative effects from it, a sim will also keep its charge high, almost full, most of the time, if you are using magic, of course.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Would be cool if they at least charged faster than normal
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif