Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Anybody Else Think About This?

As you (hopefully) know, there have been some "building mistakes" in The Sims 4 Realm of Magic. There's a staircase to nowhere, but that's not what we're here to talk about I'm talking about the roofing pattern on the bar.

If you haven't realized yet, the roof pattern is the default one. And I've seen people get completely freaked out about it! But did you ever stop to consider that it was intentional? The default roof pattern, unlike the default wall pattern, is completely usable for certain builds. And it can even look good.
funny-gifs20.gif

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    People just dont have enough to complain about I guess :p

Has anyone seen the builds in S2 those are pretty terrible. :D
    5vJrxmT.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I think that’s the roof Simsie was complaining about
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    The roof patterns don’t match, that’s why people are upset.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

But they're not complaining about the roof patterns not matching, they're complaining about it being the default. At least from what I've seen.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Maybe that roof developed a bad leak with rot and when they re-roofed that area, there was no more of those shingles because they don't make them any more so they just bought the next best thing. Running a bar can be hard and expensive. :D
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Yes! I do think it's intentional!

And the staircase to nowhere. I feel like that stairway is something to be expected in a strange, magical house. I mean, it could still be just an error. But when I first saw it, I thought it was supposed to be that way because it looked peculiar.

Same possibility for the roof. I have a feeling they were going for that quirky, mismatched whimsy of a place where magic is hidden. You only find these places if you know what to look for. There's a story there:

"You're a Spellcaster and you know that there are others secretly living amongst the mundane Sims. You know enough to go to Glimmerbrook, so you wander around there until you spot these strange, subtle signs that signify something is 'off'. You go into the bar and, sure enough, you encounter other magical folk. You've found your tribe!"

Simsie, the Game Changer who "outed" the builds, is a completely realistic player. I think the whole concept of the magical world and the style of it just went right over her head. :D
    #Team Occult
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    @LiELF True she is a rather.. vocal anti fantasy simmer but you must give her credit in the fact the houses and HQ are very bland.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    Personally, I thought they were trolling her, specially with that missing door.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

But they're not complaining about the roof patterns not matching, they're complaining about it being the default. At least from what I've seen.

In lilsimsie’s video she technically complains about both. That the roof patterns are different and the one that doesn’t match is the default one.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    edited September 2019
    WolfNate wrote: »
    @LiELF True she is a rather.. vocal anti fantasy simmer but you must give her credit in the fact the houses and HQ are very bland.

The houses are made the way they are so that they load easily and quickly on any computer or laptop, as not all players have high-end setups. They also can only use base game items and items exclusive to the pack the house came with, which will severely limit what the creators can use, especially in a game pack with a very limited amount of content. Also, the developers probably want to encourage players to make the houses their own, so they only place what they need to in them. HQ was probably created with the same idea in mind, but it's also purely meant as an area to practice magic. It doesn't need to function as anything, nor does it need to look a certain way, so, frankly, I think we should just be happy that it exists at all.

I wish people would understand this and stop complaining about the houses. I'm sure the developers know they're not great, but that's likely on purpose. So far, I think the only legitimate housing complaint was the missing toilets from Get Famous. The rest are just this fandom being completely unable to enjoy anything we are given. If we really are getting a university pack this year, I worry that the complaining will only get worse.
    Post edited by floridameerkat on
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
    The missing door and the odd roof are what we got. They aren't going to change it and it's shipped out to us and we are playing it. If it's an issue, fix it. YouTubers really only complain about stuff like this that doesn't really matter (because it doesn't affect game play) so we'll watch their videos. They don't want to be known as YouTubers that have drank the Maxis Kool-Ade. I replaced those lots any way.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    The houses are made the way they are so that they load easily and quickly on any computer or laptop, as not all players have high-end setups. They also can only use base game items and items exclusive to the pack the house came with, which will severely limit what the creators can use, especially in a game pack with a very limited amount of content. Also, the developers probably want to encourage players to make the houses their own, so they only place what they need to in them. HQ was probably created with the same idea in mind.
    If you compare to basegame houses, also fairly empty but with much more character, this defense of EA does not hold.
    There's even a recent thread about it.

And yes, let's "encourage" players to edit the lot uneditable without cheats, makes perfect sense. What about the many sims players (the majority probably) who play their game without ever looking up cheats or only basic money ones ? Add a loading tooltip to give them the cheat ?

I will never understand people bending over backward to excuse this laziness and pretending it's quirky. You know what's quirky and magical ? Basegame bookcase hidden doors. I haven't seen any in Glimmerbrook.
    If the patio roof being different was intentional, the base game metal texture was right there. Something to clearly say "this is a late addition to the existing roof".

What's the intention behind different height windows btw ? Every house in Glimmerbrook has some so it has to have a secret purpose.
    happyopi wrote: »
    The houses are made the way they are so that they load easily and quickly on any computer or laptop, as not all players have high-end setups. They also can only use base game items and items exclusive to the pack the house came with, which will severely limit what the creators can use, especially in a game pack with a very limited amount of content. Also, the developers probably want to encourage players to make the houses their own, so they only place what they need to in them. HQ was probably created with the same idea in mind.
    If you compare to basegame houses, also fairly empty but with much more character, this defense of EA does not hold.
    There's even a recent thread about it.

And yes, let's "encourage" players to edit the lot uneditable without cheats, makes perfect sense. What about the many sims players (the majority probably) who play their game without ever looking up cheats or only basic money ones ? Add a loading tooltip to give them the cheat ?

I will never understand people bending over backward to excuse this laziness and pretending it's quirky. You know what's quirky and magical ? Basegame bookcase hidden doors. I haven't seen any in Glimmerbrook.
    If the patio roof being different was intentional, the base game metal texture was right there. Something to clearly say "this is a late addition to the existing roof".

What's the intention behind different height windows btw ? Every house in Glimmerbrook has some so it has to have a secret purpose.

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the uneditable lot in the magical realm. It may not be to the preference or style of everyone, and parts of it are a little bland, but it's complete (although slightly amateur looking with base game limitations but they don't use anything from other packs so this is partly why) and it functions without routing problems. The devs only suggested editing it for people who want to put beds in there for their Sims to stay, not because it's somehow incomplete.

As for the regular lots, I've never felt like even the base game houses were anything special to see, either. And I felt the exact same way when I played Sims 2. The houses have always been simplified. Part of the point of the Sims games is the building, customizing, and decorating to the player's preferences. I've always replaced or altered most of the lots because of this.

Now, with all of that said, I'll be real here... I do think they are struggling lately to keep every new pack within the game's minimum specs limit and the 32-bit boundaries. And honestly, they need to just let this go and bump up the specs and switch to 64 because it's looong overdue and yes, the builds and content are suffering for it. Since University is rumored to be right around the corner, I'm really hoping that they don't extend this out through that EP because it will drag it down and then there will be rioting. We don't need another Island Living fiasco.
    #Team Occult
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2019
    LiELF wrote: »

And the staircase to nowhere. I feel like that stairway is something to be expected in a strange, magical house. I mean, it could still be just an error. But when I first saw it, I thought it was supposed to be that way because it looked peculiar.

Same possibility for the roof. I have a feeling they were going for that quirky, mismatched whimsy of a place where magic is hidden. You only find these places if you know what to look for. There's a story there:

"You're a Spellcaster and you know that there are others secretly living amongst the mundane Sims. You know enough to go to Glimmerbrook, so you wander around there until you spot these strange, subtle signs that signify something is 'off'. You go into the bar and, sure enough, you encounter other magical folk. You've found your tribe!"

Simsie, the Game Changer who "outed" the builds, is a completely realistic player. I think the whole concept of the magical world and the style of it just went right over her head. :D

Honestly, as much as I love the pack, these are just typical EA oversights. I like furnishing stuff - but I mind having to do it. Staircases leading nowhere, mismatched roof patterns, and an exceptionally bland (technically uneditable) HQ aren't intentional quirks, they're lazy oversights. It might look funny, and some of us don't mind fixing this stuff, but some people are either not great at it / don't want to do it / simply feel that they shouldn't have to replace the very houses the pack came with to have a nice looking game. I mean .. the before/after of what we did with Glimmerbrook and what it actually looked like by default are telling enough :joy: Older packs were, in that regard, done miles better.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    The missing door and the odd roof are what we got. They aren't going to change it and it's shipped out to us and we are playing it. If it's an issue, fix it. YouTubers really only complain about stuff like this that doesn't really matter (because it doesn't affect game play) so we'll watch their videos. They don't want to be known as YouTubers that have drank the Maxis Kool-Ade. I replaced those lots any way.

Lol to me that's so spot on... of course I don't watch a lot of videos and ones that are just made to nitpick about something for clicks and views even less. You gave me a good laugh :).

I'm not worried about the empty houses... I agree HQ should have been looked over a little more thoroughly because I don't like using cheats but the homes out in the world are made that way possibly because they only have the basegame and the pack to use. They just leave it to the simmer to fill it as they see fit for the type of sim family they want to live there. It works well for me it might not work well for those that want something heavily decorated. So who's wrong.... no one really. If you want it decorated do it your way, use the gallery.. or decorate it as your sim makes money to fill it to make it theirs.
    I actually didn't think about the impact furnished big homes have on the computers ability to run them @floridameerkat. Even though I do limit very large lots myself because I can notice problems with certain builds.
    I'm able to run HQ fine though.. and that was a relief, especially after the dueling started.
    egTcBMc.png
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Honestly, as much as I love the pack, these are just typical EA oversights. I like furnishing stuff - but I mind having to do it. Staircases leading nowhere, mismatched roof patterns, and an exceptionally bland (technically uneditable) HQ aren't intentional quirks, they're lazy oversights. It might look funny, and some of us don't mind fixing this stuff, but some people are either not great at it / don't want to do it / simply feel that they shouldn't have to replace the very houses the pack came with to have a nice looking game. I mean .. the before/after of what we did with Glimmerbrook and what it actually looked like by default are telling enough :joy: Older packs were, in that regard, done miles better.

I think you missed their point. These aren't issues your'e supposed to fix. They were intentionally added because they're meant to be weird and quirky spellcaster houses with stairways that don't appear to lead anywhere or items to don't seem to match. It seems the creators were playing off the stereotype that witches and magical sims in general, don't follow social norms, and that includes how they decorate and build their houses.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner

I think you missed their point. These aren't issues your'e supposed to fix. They were intentionally added because they're meant to be weird and quirky spellcaster houses with stairways that don't appear to lead anywhere or items to don't seem to match. It seems the creators were playing off the stereotype that witches and magical sims in general, don't follow social norms, and that includes how they decorate and build their houses.

No I got the point, I just really don't think that's what happened :joy: If you compare the houses in Granite Falls or the Vampire pack or even the base game to how houses were furnished in Sulani and now RoM, you can see a definite decline in the amount of effort and style that was put into building and furnishing them. The gurus even said that they had very strict limitations as to how much stuff they could put in the builds, if I'm not mistaken. I don't mind that much, because the gameplay in this pack is really good, and I do think that some of the game changers are a tiny bit "whiney" about this (forgive the term, I can't think of a better one right now) but yes, it's noticeable and it's a little bit lazy. Some of these builds barely even include items from the pack. And, yes, I can understand that some people find that annoying. In the end, you do pay good money for all these packs and I think it's fair to want them to deliver a finished product. Having nice-looking builds that can be played in as they are without a ton of player intervention is a part of that. That's why I like to use Granite Falls as an example because you might not like the style of the houses, but they're fully furnished and they look like I would expect such holiday homes to look. But then the gameplay in that pack was the bigger problem, so there's that. But really: are these trade-offs really necessary?

No I got the point, I just really don't think that's what happened :joy: If you compare the houses in Granite Falls or the Vampire pack or even the base game to how houses were furnished in Sulani and now RoM, you can see a definite decline in the amount of effort and style that was put into building and furnishing them. The gurus even said that they had very strict limitations as to how much stuff they could put in the builds, if I'm not mistaken. I don't mind that much, because the gameplay in this pack is really good, and I do think that some of the game changers are a tiny bit "whiney" about this (forgive the term, I can't think of a better one right now) but yes, it's noticeable and it's a little bit lazy. Some of these builds barely even include items from the pack. And, yes, I can understand that some people find that annoying. In the end, you do pay good money for all these packs and I think it's fair to want them to deliver a finished product. Having nice-looking builds that can be played in as they are without a ton of player intervention is a part of that. That's why I like to use Granite Falls as an example because you might not like the style of the houses, but they're fully furnished and they look like I would expect such holiday homes to look. But then the gameplay in that pack was the bigger problem, so there's that. But really: are these trade-offs really necessary?

I get what you're saying, the builds in this year's packs have been a little more noticeably bare, and I can agree with that. And as I said above, I think it's because they are forced to stay within the boundaries of the game's minimum specs and the 32-bit crowd and that really needs to be changed because the packs are suffering for it.

But despite these limitations, I still think the staircase was intentional. I looked at it and immediately thought of the teleportation spell, and thought that it was the wizardly entrance to the house in the back. It's a magical pack, so I just expected there to be magical explanations, I guess. But it made me think that they might have liked to have built a house with no common entrance so you'd have to access it only by magic, but that would have been pushing it too far because Spellcasters don't begin with teleportation and they wanted people to be able to access it normally as well.
    #Team Occult

I get what you're saying, the builds in this year's packs have been a little more noticeably bare, and I can agree with that. And as I said above, I think it's because they are forced to stay within the boundaries of the game's minimum specs and the 32-bit crowd and that really needs to be changed because the packs are suffering for it.

But despite these limitations, I still think the staircase was intentional. I looked at it and immediately thought of the teleportation spell, and thought that it was the wizardly entrance to the house in the back. It's a magical pack, so I just expected there to be magical explanations, I guess. But it made me think that they might have liked to have built a house with no common entrance so you'd have to access it only by magic, but that would have been pushing it too far because Spellcasters don't begin with teleportation and they wanted people to be able to access it normally as well.

Maybe :D I mean we won't know, and I prefer your explanation to them just having forgotten it, but yeah. But again, it doesn't matter all that much in the end, I just hope that next time they give us something like HQ, that they do it a bit differently ^^
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member

Exactly this! It's expected that the lots are going to be a bit bare to give you the oppurtunity to use stuff from other packs but lately the builds just aren't good! Brindleton Bay wasn't a huge town but all of the builds are functional amd look decent enough. It's even harder to justify that in the Strangerville pack. The purpose of that pack is to create a hero Sim and play the story! Not worry about creating builds. There's absolutely no excuse for the non buildable lots. Not everyone uses the cheats so they are stuck with extremely sparce builds!

The Maxis gallery used to compensate for this by having a few decent builds in there but lately they will post a few trailer sims weeks after the pack is out. As I mentioned in a previous thread, the build buy items are really good, surely they want to showcase these with some good builds?
  • EricTheLoonEricTheLoon Posts: 20 Member
    Part of me wishes wishes they had made the house completely insane. Take a page out of Sarah Winchester and make the house completely insane. Why just one staircase to nowhere when you can have ten?
    Sul Sul!
    Is it just me, or does the one tile bookcase look flat? Like the ball pit did(does). The bigger one looks fine, but the smaller one looks like the books are a picture and has no depth.