The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I do this?

Hello fellow simmers,
Long time player here who has been missing sims 3 a bit recently. I love my sims 4 families and could play them all day long, but I have this hankering to play sims 2 or 3 (2 have everything but the base game so that’s out the window). Every time I try to play 3 I feel so uninspired by the sims I create and I get bored. I hadn’t played it in years until around last October I tried it again. But I can’t get into any of my families I make they don’t have the same spark that the old families I had did.

I’ve come up with a possible solution. So when I stopped playing 3 initially it was because my favorite family wouldn’t load well on my laptop that was royally struggling to play sims 3 in general. The game loaded eventually but even the it took forever for textures to reload every time I slightly moved off lot and it lagged. I also had to get a new laptop for school and ended up choosing one that couldn’t even play sims due to money partially. I was bored with sims 4 at the time and to play sims 3 I felt like I would have had to get a much better computer and it wasn’t worth it. Long story short I got really into sims 4 on the computer that I couldn’t really play it on and then invested in a decent gaming desktop to play.

Sims 3 runs okay on this desktop it isn’t perfect but it works with minimal lag with mods installed. My question is this. I still have that super old laptop with sims 3 installed on it with that save file in it and the computer still loads up (a little shocking it’s been off for like 3 years 😂). Can I still transfer those saves over with a flash drive to my desktop and will they work? Even if all I can do is save the family and their house (which of course I never did) and then create a new save file with them. I don’t want to try loading it up on my old laptop to do some because it was having crashing issues before it was off for three years. I don’t want to risk actually killing the computer. I’d love to get back into 3 again with my same family I got to 6 generations with. I adored them. I miss 3, even though I really love 4, there are things about 3 I miss.

This may be a very dumb question but I just know that they are old save files so I wasn’t sure they’d still transfer right. Also is transferring CC files from that sims 3 folder to my current one dumb? I worry that some would have corrupted by now.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I don't think there should be any problem it's not like they updated the game in the meantime or changed anything.

You could try it anyways and see how it works.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    It should work fine to transfer your files over. As far as I know, I don't think cc or any other files get corrupt by sitting there but rather by use. Occasionally, if I make a new game folder and transfer my mods folder over (which in my case is almost all game mods as opposed to cc), one of my mods won't work and I need to reinstall it, but that's an obvious problem and easily resolved. If you have your cc in package format, you might want to add a few at a time and make sure they're ok, then add more.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes... You can transfer save files (no matter how old they are). :)Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves
    There you will find folders for each save. Make a copy of the save folders you want onto a flash drive, external drive, disk, or whatever... You can even upload it onto a file host site or e-mail it to yourself. Place that copy into the same location on the computer you want to use.

Make sure the correct packs are in place. Example: The save file takes place in Moonlight Falls but you don't have Supernatural installed. The save won't load because of this. mods/CC & store stuff won't carry over with the save file. That will have to be installed too.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited July 2019
    Perfect thank you guys. I figured I could since there haven’t been any updates but wanted to make sure. Good to know about cc too if this works well I don’t want bald sims wandering around since they all have CC hair 😂.

I’m actually super excited to try this. I’m away till next Sunday but can’t wait to see my old sims again. You get attached and sometimes it’s hard to get attached to new families when you loved the old one so much.
  • WainwrongWainwrong Posts: 89 Member
    I once transferred my old savefile to a newly installed sims 3, but most of them I did'nt really want to go back, except for one, the immortalwright save, but it was at a point in which boyd and susan weren't immortal yet, and it was at a point in which sam and the unborn babies are still toddlers anyway.
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    Here is what I did with an old save. I saved the old save to an usb stick; then installed on new computer; I opened Sims 3 and then the save. I put whatever furniture, objects, etc that I wanted to keep in the family inventory. I then copied the family to my library. Now I can create a new save on the new computer with the old family. The only thing is that the old relationships are no longer there and you will have to start over.
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Done!! Back to my desktop and found the family and am so excited to be playing them again. Thanks for the help everyone it was for sure easy to transfer.
  • SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    Akl500 - Yes, you can put your old save files in the new game. I suggest only putting one in at a time just to be sure they are not corrupt. I have done this