Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bring back Whims!!!

Seriously, why in the world were they abandoned instead of getting fixed? I'm a goal-oriented player and LOVED having some kind of direction about what my Sims wanted to do.

Now I feel that there's not even any point in directing them and I should just leave them in free will... then what's the point of playing?

I'm so disappointed.

Comments

• Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    What's wrong with whims?

My sims still get those little thought bubbles on what they want to do, on the left hand side?

The ones you can lock, right?

Or are you talking about something else?

I remember they were missing after an update, but I found where to turn them back on in the options, I think.
  • Options
    sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    Agreed, I've not noticed any difference since any patches etc?
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Seriously, why in the world were they abandoned instead of getting fixed? I'm a goal-oriented player and LOVED having some kind of direction about what my Sims wanted to do.

Now I feel that there's not even any point in directing them and I should just leave them in free will... then what's the point of playing?

I'm so disappointed.

Are you saying since they gave us the option to hide whims, they haven’t included any new ones for the latest packs? Interesting
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Just bring back wants and fears, and actually design them well around our Sim’s personalities, interests, environment, recent occurrences, etc.

It’d also be great if it tied into a redesigned trait system that allowed us to unlock additional traits for our Sims. And I’m not talking about the cheaty reward traits. Why not allow us to unlock more than 3 traits through a wants/fears system?

I’m all for anything that gives us meaningful rewards. I don’t care for some pop-up reward store that makes an easy game easier.
  • Options
    I like the idea of having wants and fears back - I like having fears in general because it let you mess with sims...
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I've honestly started getting worried about them fixing the whims. The fact that they haven't added any new ones since the option to disable them has me concerned. :/

Either they haven't added anymore because they're revamping the entire system and they didn't see a point to adding new ones because the programming is set to change soon (which I really hope is the case)

or

They've decided to just drop them and don't plan to do anything to fix them which is why they decided to just hide them for all new games (which I'd absolutely be disappointed by)

I really hope they're working on a way to overhaul the system so that they make sense and are enjoyable and that they won't just abandon them completely.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Its their solution to everything. Getting abducted too often? Nerf it. People not enjoying repetitive whims? Hide them. Problem solved.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    I'm tired of seeing the same ones and miss wants and fears as that actually had consequences. An upgraded version of this that actually tied in to a Sims traits would be ideal and makes each character more individual and their stories more meaningful.
    I'm hoping an overhaul is on the way, hence a rebrand etc... But I'm not holding out hope
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I loved playing with them too. I had a save game where I can only follow my sims whims. Even in my regular saves, I like to mainly follow whims to decide what my sims are going to do. Now it's not fun since the latest packs haven't added any new whims. Honestly it's made me lose interest in the sims 4 since they seem to have dropped my play style.
  • Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'm so disappointed.

What is so great about having a system like wants/fears, or even whims, is they provide you with some short-term objectives before you reach a larger objective. In the past, such as in TS2, it worked perfectly, because wants were integrated very well with the one aspiration you chose for your Sim and the one, big aspiration goal they'd have to reach before they passed on. Everything was woven so nicely together in TS2, that it felt like an actual game with a purpose.

In TS4, I'm usually bored out of my mind because there truly isn't much to work for, or unique experiences to be seen in each Sim's life. I'm only given those specific goals in the aspiration system that have been the same since 2014, and are not open-ended whatsoever.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I didn't play with whims unless my sim was just doing what was popped up usually. I didn't mind them but kept them turned off when it became the standard for the game to start with them off. I think they stopped doing them because of complaints mostly.. maybe the telemetry showed they weren't being pursued.. who knows?
    I know I don't want want's and fears Sims 2 style back ever. I hated my sims aspiration score (happiness) being dependent on doing them and always had to get a mod to be able to lock more of them. Yeah I know some people want them back but please just no... well unless they give us a way to lock everything we want too or to chose what would make our sim happy.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    I think the current method, whims showing up but if you don't fulfill them it's not a negative thing, works just fine. They just need to update whims to make sense with each pack available.

I like the idea of fears for sims I don't like, or ones I'd like to make miserable. It's too easy to keep a sim happy.
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    I remember Grant responding to someone asking for an overhaul of systems like whims, traits and aspirations. He said something that sounded like they were considering it but were worried that people that like it how it is now would be unhappy. It's possible that they stepped away from them to see how people reacted. I hope they are re-vamping them, rather than stepping away altogether. I enjoyed them in TS2 and TS3 but they left a lot to be desired in TS4. They need to feel like meaningful short-term goals, that are actually tied to each individual sim.
  • Options
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    I remember Grant responding to someone asking for an overhaul of systems like whims, traits and aspirations. He said something that sounded like they were considering it but were worried that people that like it how it is now would be unhappy. It's possible that they stepped away from them to see how people reacted. I hope they are re-vamping them, rather than stepping away altogether. I enjoyed them in TS2 and TS3 but they left a lot to be desired in TS4. They need to feel like meaningful short-term goals, that are actually tied to each individual sim.

Well, given they have them disabled by default, and people have never praised the system, I don't see how anyone is happy with the way it is now.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I, personally, don't care about whims at all. I see them as a way to earn satisfaction points, and that's it. But I do think they should add more, for the people who do.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm surprised they don't add new ones to the game with new packs and or patches. That's just lame. Whims are supposed to be the evolution of wants/wishes. Not to do anything more with them is just cheap.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I've honestly started getting worried about them fixing the whims. The fact that they haven't added any new ones since the option to disable them has me concerned. :/

Either they haven't added anymore because they're revamping the entire system and they didn't see a point to adding new ones because the programming is set to change soon (which I really hope is the case)

or

They've decided to just drop them and don't plan to do anything to fix them which is why they decided to just hide them for all new games (which I'd absolutely be disappointed by)

I really hope they're working on a way to overhaul the system so that they make sense and are enjoyable and that they won't just abandon them completely.

me to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    no since ido not play whims not all players are the same
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    I got tired of them always disappearing because my sim's mood changed before I could fulfill them, and seeing the same three over and over. I've had them hidden since the option appeared. An overhaul would be nice.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    I wish that they would bring whims back but only after a major overhaul. It doesn't make sense that every sim wants to buy a bee box. I'm with everyone else who wishes that they'd bring back wants and fears because that was catered more toward the individual. It seems like they've given up on making the sims feel less cookie cutter all together. We need more traits and aspirations. We need new animations instead of the same ones recycled over and over again. I don't understand how TS4 is still behind all the other iterations in almost every single aspect of the game. If they do come out with TS5 I hope they take into consideration every single thing they've done wrong with TS4 because there is a lot of room for improvement I mean a lot of room. I've been playing the sims since it first come out and I love the series but honestly TS4 has been nothing but underwhelming.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I prefer the wants and fears the Sims 2 had. Whims seem useless without failure to them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    no since ido not play whims not all players are the same
    but even if you don't use whats wrong with other people having them @friendlysimmers
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I use whims but it’d be nice if they cut down on the wishes for stuff like pools and other luxuries. It’s nice when they can remind me that I forgot a dishwasher though.
  • Options
    ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    I turned my on to have something to do but I quickly got so frustrated. “Buy a dishwasher” alright lets buy one. Next whim “buy a dishwasher” :| all whims are exactly the same for all sims. Think i’ve noticed it more since recently playing TS3. Whims are different for all sims depending on their traits. Its fun. Sims 4 tho is just repetitive and glitchy. Half of the time when you complete a whim it doesnt even register it.
  • Options
    sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    I agree with whims needing an overhaul, I don't remember being a kid and wanting to buy a dishwasher or a washing machine

I used to like whims, they kind of gave me an idea of what this particular sim wants, wishes, likes etc. but now when I play with whims turned on they don't make any sense anymore, not that they made sense to begin with but it wasn't as bad. I especially hate that they disappear when I let my sim travel. For example my sim had the whim to get engaged to his girlfriend so I thought he could take her to dinner and then propose but one loading screen later he suddenly wants to buy a litterbox or something because apparently he owns a cat (he doesn't, maybe he was just getting nervous but honestly I'm just trying to interpret it in a way it makes sense xD)