Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think I kind of like it, she's not a vampire, but she's still immortal

First I was disappointed that you couldn't make a spellcaster vampire, and ended up making a human duplicate of my vampire, Alexandra, who I've been playing with since TS3, but now I kind of like how things turned out.

She's still powerful and immortal, and has lived about a thousand years. Except that she's not immortal because she's a vampire, but because she regularly makes and drinks the potion of rejuvenation. I think it's actually a kind of nice story. She could just grow old and die, but to stay a young adult forever, she just has to take care of getting the potion (of course she could still die of anything human sims can die of). I mean, who says spellcasters couldn't live forever with the help of magic?

Anyway, I'm loving this! Now two sisters have moved in with her, one of them is already a spellcaster, but does not know it yet, only suspects it, and the other one is still a human, and isn't really interested in becoming a spellcaster. But I think she'll end up being one, too, and then Alexandra can teach both of them.

Who else is playing with the immortality/rejuvenation theme? How are you doing it? Does anyone else have an ex-vampire as an "immortal" spellcaster?
01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

Comments

• WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Rejuv isn't perm?
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Rejuv isn't perm?

I thought it was, too, but I checked, and the days that my sim has until ageing up are still going down. Even thought they started from the beginning again after drinking the potion.

• MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2019
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Rejuv isn't perm?
    No, it is identical to the potion of youth from the rewards store and the age away serum from GTW. It just resets your sim’s age to the beginning of the current life stage but they will continue to age unless you keep making them take the potion.

I’m not thrilled by this personally. We already have two potions which reset the age bar in game (one of which is available to all sims via the rewards store) so I’d have liked them to do something different and create a potion which permanently freezes ageing. But I’m glad others like it.
  • Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    kati77 wrote: »
    Who else is playing with the immortality/rejuvenation theme? How are you doing it? Does anyone else have an ex-vampire as an "immortal" spellcaster?

I had a really big plans on it, I hoped to turn many of my vampires to spellcasters, also some sims who are simple "humans" but constantly uses age away serum from GTW. But when I learnt that the potion of rejuvenation doesn't have permanent effect and just another version of GTW serum or the potion of youth from the rewards store my plans had to change :(
  • TX12001TX12001 Posts: 46 Member
    Well it would make the immortality potion redundant if it just kept you at your current age forever now wouldn't it?

I mean you cannot really die of old age if you do not age at all.
    edited September 2019
    TX12001 wrote: »
    Well it would make the immortality potion redundant if it just kept you at your current age forever now wouldn't it?

I mean you cannot really die of old age if you do not age at all.

I don’t think so. The immortality potion stops you from dying of old age but still lets you age. That means you will end up as an elder for eternity. But a potion which froze aging would stop you from dying of old age and let you stay eternally young. That’s different enough for me and a lot of people do want it.

If you don’t think it’s different, consider this: if you were told that you wouldn’t die of old age, would it matter to you whether continued to age physically? I rather think it would make a difference to you whether you had immortality with eternal youth or immortality but would spend most of eternity in the body of a very old person.

Besides, the current potion of rejuvenation stops you becoming an elder if you keep taking it. So that equally makes the immortality potion redundant.

And you could say that the fact we already have things such as death flowers and the reaper’s friend serum from GTW that the immortality potion is already redundant ;)

Additionally, you could say that the potion of rejuvenation, as it is, is redundant, because we already have the potion of youth from the rewards store and the age away serum from GTW, both of which do the exact same thing as the potion of rejuvenation. And since the potion of rejuvenation is in its current form “redundant”, they should have made a potion which permanently froze aging instead or in addition.

I agree that they would both end up stopping your sim dying of old age (and hence being immortal in some sense) so perhaps they would need to rename the immortality potion to reflect the fact that it wasn’t the only potion which makes you immortal. Or they could call the potion which freezes aging something like “potion of eternal youth and immortality”
  • TX12001TX12001 Posts: 46 Member
    > @MaggieMarley said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I don’t think so. The immortality potion stops you from dying of old age but still lets you age. That means you will end up as an elder for eternity. But a potion which froze aging would stop you from dying of old age and let you stay eternally young. That’s different enough for me and a lot of people do want it.
    >
    > If you don’t think it’s different, consider this: if you were told that you wouldn’t die of old age, would it matter to you whether continued to age physically? I rather think it would make a difference to you whether you had immortality with eternal youth or immortality but would spend most of eternity in the body of a very old person.
    >
    > Besides, the current potion of rejuvenation stops you becoming an elder if you keep taking it. So that equally makes the immortality potion redundant.
    >
    > And you could say that the fact we already have things such as death flowers and the reaper’s friend serum from GTW that the immortality potion is already redundant ;)
    >
    > I agree that they would both end up stopping your sim dying of old age (and hence being immortal in some sense) so perhaps they would need to rename the immortality potion to reflect the fact that it wasn’t the only potion which makes you immortal. Or they could call the potion which freezes aging something like “potion of eternal youth and immortality”

You seem to have misunderstood, Immunity to Dying of Old Age (What the Immortality potion does) would be a side-effect of simply not ageing therfor if you took this Potion of Everlasting Life you would automatically be immune to dying of old age simply by virtue of not ageing therefor it would make the Potion of Immortality which prevents you from dying of old age redundant.
    edited September 2019
    TX12001 wrote: »
    > @MaggieMarley said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I don’t think so. The immortality potion stops you from dying of old age but still lets you age. That means you will end up as an elder for eternity. But a potion which froze aging would stop you from dying of old age and let you stay eternally young. That’s different enough for me and a lot of people do want it.
    >
    > If you don’t think it’s different, consider this: if you were told that you wouldn’t die of old age, would it matter to you whether continued to age physically? I rather think it would make a difference to you whether you had immortality with eternal youth or immortality but would spend most of eternity in the body of a very old person.
    >
    > Besides, the current potion of rejuvenation stops you becoming an elder if you keep taking it. So that equally makes the immortality potion redundant.
    >
    > And you could say that the fact we already have things such as death flowers and the reaper’s friend serum from GTW that the immortality potion is already redundant ;)
    >
    > I agree that they would both end up stopping your sim dying of old age (and hence being immortal in some sense) so perhaps they would need to rename the immortality potion to reflect the fact that it wasn’t the only potion which makes you immortal. Or they could call the potion which freezes aging something like “potion of eternal youth and immortality”

You seem to have misunderstood, Immunity to Dying of Old Age (What the Immortality potion does) would be a side-effect of simply not ageing therfor if you took this Potion of Everlasting Life you would automatically be immune to dying of old age simply by virtue of not ageing therefor it would make the Potion of Immortality which prevents you from dying of old age redundant.

There’s no need to insult my intelligence. I understood what you meant.

I accepted that what the potion of rejuvenation does (namely, prevent death by old age) would be a side effect of a potion which permanently freezes ageing. But I explained that I didn’t think that this make would therefore make either a potion which permanently freezes ageing or the immortality potion redundant because not dying of old age but continuing to age and therefore spending most of eternity as an elder is a sufficiently different effect, for me, to a potion which permanently freezes ageing.

Perhaps you think that if a potion which froze ageing permanently were available, the potion of immortality would be redundant because nobody would want to use it? But I don’t think that’s the case either. People might want a sim who gets old but never dies of old age for story telling purposes. And people might want a sim who never dies of old age because they stay young forever for story telling purposes. Since both could be achieved only by one of the potions, neither makes the other redundant.

I then pointed out that, in your terms, the potion of rejuvenation currently makes the potion of immortality “redundant” anyway because if you continue to take it, you won’t die of old age.

I also observed that the potion of rejuvenation itself is redundant, in your sense, because we already have the potion of youth from the rewards store and age-away serum from GTW which do the exact same thing as the potion of rejuvenation. But we don’t already have a potion which freezes aging permanently. So if redundancy is your issue, then it would seem that adding a potion which completely freezes ageing, rather than a potion which only temporarily prevents it, would have resulted in the least redundancy: yes, the former would prevent death by old age as the potion of immortality does but would not have the exact same effect since it would also give the drinker eternal youth; meanwhile the latter does the exact same thing as two potions already in the game.

This is my opinion. You’re welcome to have a different one and to share it. But please be polite. I do not wish to become embroiled in an online argument.
    Post edited by MaggieMarley on
  • alex_alex09alex_alex09 Posts: 188 Member
    In my story vampires and witches are enemies, a vampire witch is an abomination :D
  • kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    I’m not thrilled by this personally. We already have two potions which reset the age bar in game (one of which is available to all sims via the rewards store) so I’d have liked them to do something different and create a potion which permanently freezes ageing. But I’m glad others like it.

I think I was vaguely aware that there were other ways to reset age. But I wouldn't really use them on humans, I want to keep my humans as human as I can, which means they age and eventually die. I think, this potion of rejuvenation being connected to alchemy and magic, is what I like about it. It fits the story better than my spellcaster making it through science (which I suppose the GTW serum is made through), or bought it from the reward shop. So, for my story purposes, a potion my spellcaster needs to make herself using alchemy is better than the two other options.

But I agree, in general, it's kind of useless to have several similarly working potions or serums. And I did wish this potion would just really freeze my sims age like it says in the description of the potion.

• RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    edited September 2019
    Well, to fit with the theme of witches I definitely think the immortality potion should be kept in game, Buuuutt...

On further thought I kinda which the potion of rejuvenation was either

A) a potion that literally bumped you back a life state age (if you are an adult, it bumps you back to YA). Maybe made it so teens couldn’t use it, that for YA sims it would just set it back to the first day of that age range, and for the others it would bump you back into a different younger age state. That would’ve been different from the aspiration award and VERY fun.

Basically could have people play Mother Gothel figures with that.

Or

B )had the potion of rejuvenation just do the age bump back a entire stage thing, while making a new potion that did the usual aspiration award thing to give us another way to make it.