Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vampires or Casters?

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited September 2019
    Vampires Always Vin
    Honestly, being a spellcaster has made things become way too easy. As if the game wasn't already pretty easy to begin with, a high-rank spellcaster with no consequences to their actions makes them eventually boring to play in the end. Once they reach the highest of the high, it's over and done for me. Yet here I am still playing vampires after 2 years of its release, and while I've overdone the occult a bit too many times, I still return to them in the end.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    I found vampire are fun and cool, but spellcaster is petty much overpowerful, sure drinking to stay young time to time, but vampire had to drink plasme everyday. I dislike aliens, male get baby? no thank. Mermaid is underwheling, need some buff.
    I like all of them, but some need work like alien and mermaid, sadly I don't think EA will redo alien and Mermaid like some company do like total war warhammer 2 factions.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    It's a hard call, but I like vampires better. Though I'm sure there's a lot about spellcasters I haven't explored yet.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Casters Put The Magic in Magical
    Both for now, because I have a sim xmen Storm that needs her white eyes & lightning powers.
  • davidsaradavidsara Posts: 117 Member
    normally i'd go vampire because undeath is just more appealing but sims 4 casters trump vampires in every way.
    they even trump the science career, the guys who literally try to break the laws of known physics.
    they stole the freeze ray, potions and need less time+ingredients to achieve the same stuff.
    casters are to good in my opinion they should have had a weakness :(
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that mermaids wasn't even an option. Which says everything anybody needs to know about mermaids :/

I'm only asking about the two lifestates with an entire dlc dedicated to them not 'side' monsters.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    If RoM were done better, then it'd win. But comparing both packs personally I think Vampires are WAY more detailed and fun gameplay wise. Spellcasters would have won if they added actual pet dragons sims 1 style, spell ingredients (magical ones, like dragon scales, mermaid tears, eyes of newt, etc), more magic items (scrying ball, tarot cards, etc), more spells (or replace overused emotional ones with fun spells like invisibility, shrinking, frog rain, bees,), more spell animations/sparkles/colors to make them more whoa, and magic realm be more fun, perhaps with quests, funky shops, etc.
    I personally feel out of all Sims games, vampires vs magic of all 4 generations, Vampires sims 4 wins hands down, and Magic I think Sims Makin Magic and Sims 3 tie, because sims 3 had over 40 potions, and well makin magic is self explanatory.
    Angellulu wrote: »
    If RoM were done better, then it'd win. But comparing both packs personally I think Vampires are WAY more detailed and fun gameplay wise. Spellcasters would have won if they added actual pet dragons sims 1 style, spell ingredients (magical ones, like dragon scales, mermaid tears, eyes of newt, etc), more magic items (scrying ball, tarot cards, etc), more spells (or replace overused emotional ones with fun spells like invisibility, shrinking, frog rain, bees,), more spell animations/sparkles/colors to make them more whoa, and magic realm be more fun, perhaps with quests, funky shops, etc.
    I personally feel out of all Sims games, vampires vs magic of all 4 generations, Vampires sims 4 wins hands down, and Magic I think Sims Makin Magic and Sims 3 tie, because sims 3 had over 40 potions, and well makin magic is self explanatory.

Er... Okay then Vampires have more to do then... Casters... I have no words to that opinion
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Angellulu wrote: »

Er... Okay then Vampires have more to do then... Casters... I have no words to that opinion

I don't feel like they do
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    As someone who owns both races I can honestly tell you in my opinion Casters have more to do. I'm not saying Vampires are stupid go Casters. I've played hours of Vampires I even made my celeb a vampire just to complete aspirations and have less needs to handle. No I'm saying in my honest to Thoth legitimately unbiased opinion Casters have more content then Vampires.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    I think on an ongoing basis I’ll be more likely to play with vampires more often than spell casters (or, as I think of them ‘spellers’ ;) ). Spell casters have more to do but I’m not sure I’ll want to go through the rigmarole of learning spells and potions every generation and I’m a generational player.
  • scoedscoed Posts: 91 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    As someone who owns both races I can honestly tell you in my opinion Casters have more to do. I'm not saying Vampires are stupid go Casters. I've played hours of Vampires I even made my celeb a vampire just to complete aspirations and have less needs to handle. No I'm saying in my honest to Thoth legitimately unbiased opinion Casters have more content then Vampires.

Casters has more powers and abilities then Vamps, that is for sure. But Vamps have more game play than casters. I know this is counter intuitive, but here me out.

Casters have abilities that eliminates game play, and they get them early. One of the first potions you learn fills all needs and only costs one apple to make. Your sims no longer have to shower, socialize, have fun, sleep, eat, or take restroom breaks. Since you no longer have spend much time at all you no longer have to balance your sim needs vs skill gains (magical or otherwise) and a great many skills become obsolete like cooking, gourmet cooking, baking, hardiness and more as magic does what they did, but better. This simplification of game play eliminates challenge reduces effective game play in my opinion.

And Vampires have weakness, real ones. Weakness add challenges and overcoming challenges adds gameplay. Casters sure they can get curses, but let's face it they are super easy to purge, and aren't that common.

Now let's look at time to fully level a caster vs a vamp. Casters have at least 3 perks aiding up gains, learning every spell and potions comes easily as the activities that gain you new spells gain you caster xp and remember an apple removes all your needs. In just over 2 sim days it is possible and honestly not remotely challenging to learn every spell, become a virtuoso spell caster and earn both aspirations. You can not become a grand master vamp in that time frame, let alone earn the aspirations by then.

So I agree Casters have more abilities and powers, but after you have them maxed then what? Game play is on easy mode unless you wish to make it hard. Growth as a caster isn't really possible as most things are maxed. Several skills are officially unnecessary as magic does what the skill is needed for. Heck potions and their ingredients can be copied so you don't even need to gather ingredients or anything. Vampires take longer to max, needs can't be wiped away with a potion, weaknesses must be managed. Yes after much gameplay vamps too go on easy mode, but not as easy as casters do very early on.

I love casters but vamps have more actual gameplay in my opinion inspite of casters having more abilities and more interactions. I have both, I super-maxed both. It takes longer and is more challenging to super-max a vamp. To me that is gameplay and things to do. Not having the most abilities to spam. I love all the life'sstates even the temporary ones. Casters are fun as turning an annoying sim into a gnome puts a smile on my face. But vamps are where the gameplay is.
  • ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    Casters are more powerful and we don't need to care that much about them, I think we have to be extra careful with Vampires because they have weakness so I have to make them eat plasma or bite someone every day and stuff... but I love them both, I just chose casters because they are easier
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    After reading all these comments, I now picture a group of vampires and casters, more than a little intoxicated, argue about who's best. xD

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited September 2019
    Vampires Always Vin
    ceinwynie wrote: »
    Casters are more powerful and we don't need to care that much about them, I think we have to be extra careful with Vampires because they have weakness so I have to make them eat plasma or bite someone every day and stuff... but I love them both, I just chose casters because they are easier

I disagree there. My vampire needs bite someone once a day. That's it. He doesn't need to bathe, or socialize, or use the bathroom, or worry about his mood, and unless he uses a lot of powers or gets caught in sunlight he doesn't even need to sleep. That leaves him during the day, while housebound, with the entire time from dawn to dusk to do whatever he wants, and then he goes out at night to live it up. Objectively, he has far fewer needs than other sims, spellcasters included.

And everyone loves my vampire. He's made so many friends in pursuit of their blood that his reputation is Pristine and people call him all the time get to know him, ask for dates or offer him jobs. He's like a vampire Gustavo Fring -- a pillar of the community and the great evil hiding in plain sight.
  • Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    edited September 2019
    Vampires Always Vin
    I had no problem with spellcaster so far, it's true spellcaster make whole lot of easy game, I find vampire more fun to play, not because of limited, not because spellcaster are powerful (I had no problem with powerful to make game easier) but roleplaying, sneaking in night time for some reason. I might keep one or 2 sims spellcaster to support whole sims who are not spellcaster, by set up shop to gave potions to many sims who need it and make life easier for sims who are not spellcaster, Vampire can't do that while spellcaster can help all kind of sims with potion and spell like rise from dead like a priest/healers of sort, lol. Don't need many spellcaster, just few.
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    casters
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited September 2019
    scoed wrote: »

Casters has more powers and abilities then Vamps, that is for sure. But Vamps have more game play than casters. I know this is counter intuitive, but here me out.

Casters have abilities that eliminates game play, and they get them early. One of the first potions you learn fills all needs and only costs one apple to make. Your sims no longer have to shower, socialize, have fun, sleep, eat, or take restroom breaks. Since you no longer have spend much time at all you no longer have to balance your sim needs vs skill gains (magical or otherwise) and a great many skills become obsolete like cooking, gourmet cooking, baking, hardiness and more as magic does what they did, but better. This simplification of game play eliminates challenge reduces effective game play in my opinion.

I've found it worthwhile to continue to use cooking, gardening, and handiness, but that might just be my playstyle.

Relying on the Delicioso spell means you don't get to choose what you eat - which could be problematic if you want to entertain vampires and conjure up Garlic Noodles, or to make a cake to age up your kid (or want to put your sim on a diet). Yes, the basic cake is only level one, but I'd rather not risk burning the house down because my Sim has never used a stove... Also I don't think Grand Delicioso counts as a Grand Meal for holidays (if you have seasons)

Florialoral and Herbio - well, Herbio has the same "random" issue as Delicioso, and Florialoral means you don't increase your gardening skill while weeding or watering. Which means it takes longer to learn to graft and super sell.

Repario - This one and Scruberoo I use a lot, but if I want to go fishing in the Forgotten Grotto, I don't think Repario is going to get me through the boarded up entrance. And I'm not sure if you can use Repario on computers (the one time I tried, she was already auto-repairing it the manual way and Repario didn't come up under magic options.) And certainly Repario won't help with the chance cards in Jungle Adventure.

Also I find it a waste to use the Needs potion if I'm only down one or two things, but again, that's probably just me.

Casters do have a lot of cheats, but like with Cheats in real life - there's a penalty to using them. If you're just powering through becoming a Caster, then maybe you won't see that penalty. If you're going for a more integrated playstyle, they could present a problem.
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Your post doesn't ring true for me either @scoed. For me I'm given the tools to play the way I want to play. Yes the need potion is there but I don't need to use it.. do I want to? Sometimes and sometimes frequently on certain characters. Or I might use it to get out of a bind on others... or I might give it (and in the future sell it) to other sims to use when they need.
    I know some players can't seem to restrict themselves and although that might sound disrespectful it isn't... I think for some if it's there you have to use it. I don't have that problem. I have made an all powerful spellcaster (they know all branches) mostly to see what's there. I still haven't had the time to use every spell and see both good and bad effects though.
    When you make a caster you can decide to learn only one school if you want. You can practice it all on your own without the help of a sage.. you don't even have to go to the realm. You do have to make them a caster in CAS though or have them born of casters or have another caster who has the right of ascension make them a caster. You can decide to never practice the other branches at all... It's your choice as a player of the game. I started playing a witch last night that I had another sim use the ascension spell on. I don't think I'll ever send her to the realm. She has a cauldron and she's the stereotypical cackling green hag of a witch. I'm also going to have her practice mischief magic. I plan on limiting her myself.
    I actually can't wait to see if challenges crop out from this and how people will navigate what rules people will have to follow. I've mused on a number of scenarios myself :).
    I understand what you mean with it takes longer to make vamps powerful... but for me gameplay is playing all aspects of the game and I don't plan on limiting my witches to just being all powerful witches and done.
    They will have failings some will want to be normal people who want to fit in. Some will use their gifts in secret.. Some will use them to become rich and powerful but undetected.. and I could go on and on. To me giving them so many options just gives me more possibilities not less.
    egTcBMc.png
    Vampires Always Vin
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I understand what you mean with it takes longer to make vamps powerful... but for me gameplay is playing all aspects of the game and I don't plan on limiting my witches to just being all powerful witches and done.

In fairness, it is possible to simply have your sim research vampires on the computer to level them up in about 36 sim hours as well, so it is more how you play it. While not doing that will take a very long time for a vampire to level, playing your spellcaster without dueling for knowledge or just having them practice magic and going to make yourself a sandwich will produce similar results as far as the time to mastery.

OEII1001 wrote: »

In fairness, it is possible to simply have your sim research vampires on the computer to level them up in about 36 sim hours as well, so it is more how you play it. While not doing that will take a very long time for a vampire to level, playing your spellcaster without dueling for knowledge or just having them practice magic and going to make yourself a sandwich will produce similar results as far as the time to mastery.

Actually I didn't know that about vampires... I have to try it out. Leveling vampires isn't or wasn't that fun to me but if I can see it from the top down I might be more inclined to explore it further. Thanks :).
    I also gotta say I always enjoy your posts and bent mind .. the great evil hiding in plain sight is basically my favorite type of character.
    egTcBMc.png
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Vampires Always Vin
    vampire no question.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited September 2019
    Vampires Always Vin

Actually I didn't know that about vampires... I have to try it out. Leveling vampires isn't or wasn't that fun to me but if I can see it from the top down I might be more inclined to explore it further. Thanks :).
    I also gotta say I always enjoy your posts and bent mind .. the great evil hiding in plain sight is basically my favorite type of character.

I appreciate the compliment. Thank you.

The devs said that you weren't supposed to get additional vampire XP from searching for vampires on the internet and it was left in as a bug. I don't think they'll ever change it, as it gives people the option to progress quickly if they don't want to grind it out over weeks and months. I think that would be a good call, as it gives both you and I the option to do what we want. I want to slow-play things, and I can. You want to push through, and you can.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member

The devs said that you weren't supposed to get additional vampire XP from searching for vampires on the internet and it was left in as a bug. I don't think they'll ever change it, as it gives people the option to progress quickly if they don't want to grind it out over weeks and months. I think that would be a good call, as it gives both you and I the option to do what we want. I want to slow-play things, and I can. You want to push through, and you can.

I'm pretty sure it's been fixed. When I got vampires (just last month) continuing to research Vampires on the computer made my character bored and didn't result in any new vampire discoveries. I'll admit I didn't pay attention to if it increased the vampire's power or not.

I know you were being general but for me I want to push through the first time to see how it works. The second, third and umpteen times after that I want to tell in game stories with what I know can happen. I have to see it and experience it to fully digest it. That's kind of why I liked that for casters it was all just laid out. You could do everything basically on one. Maybe not get all the perks but you can get most. For vamps you have to play it out and although that is gameplay for some it's a grind to me. I want to play them when I know what they can do so I know how to set them up better.
    We are all very different in how we play and what we appreciate.
    egTcBMc.png