Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinions of Familiars?

SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
For me, they're a little lacking. Don't get me wrong, I love how cute some of them are and I really like the fact they made something for everyone and every Sim. However... I was expecting a little more than a glorified death flower. :( The only things I can do with my familiars on my Spellcaster is dismiss them or rename them, I can only have one at a time (which is ok, but imagine having a dragon, bunnerfly and leaf bat at the same time?!) and as far as I know, they only do 3 things total: Save your sim from death (this I haven't tested as I dismissed my familiar before my Sim died of magical overload), boost exp gain rate on your spellcaster (not 100% sure about this), and "talk" via notifications that you may or may not miss in the middle of the game.

I kinda wanted to be able to pet them and feed them (which I understand wouldn't work for all of them), have them do more than just be like the streaming drone following your Sim around. As a Sims 1 player who loved the dragons in that game, I was really excited when I learned dragons would be an option. I spent like 3 days in-game waiting for the dragon to come up, and while it's a perfect dragon for Sims 4's art style, it could've been so much more than it is.

However, this is just what I've experienced, and I'm curious what your opinions are on the subject, especially as I haven't found any threads about them!
Story_Banner.png
Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)

Comments

• WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Their cute and this is a GP everyone keeps wanting bigger features. But JA didn't have that much either...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't necessarily disagree. I wish the little fellas could do more also, but I do use them when my sim is getting overcharged or just to "catch them all". I've never been a big stuffed animal lover though so I have a feeling they might start only being useful to my gameplay when I feel they are needed.

I do however... love, love that you can make your pet a familiar and summon them.. and dismiss them. That they get sparkles when you do. I'm not sure yet how effective they are.. I have gone to duel and my sims pet ran over to the duel area which made me feel better about it. I kept going though and eventually she was a bit farther away. I haven't seen how effective real pets are yet, but I intend to find out.. if I can stop getting cursed instead of dying.
    Having that option has made me want to have pets more often, usually I only play them in my shorter term rotational houses.. I get a taste then move on.
    egTcBMc.png
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2019
    I expected them to be limited and they are. As I’ve said before, they are glorified drones .

I’ve been wishing for proper pet dragons for ages. So I got excited about the dragon familiars until I discovered that they don’t have needs or anything.

Aesthetically though, they are well done. And they are a nice feature to have even if they could have been better.
  • ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    I like them because kids can have them, so at least a witch kid can have some magic around. I wish we could at least talk to them.
  • mandyssims93mandyssims93 Posts: 122 Member
    I'm disappointed too. I wish there was some interactions we could do with the familiars.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Although I wish there was more to do with them they are so cool and cute I’m not super disappointed in them. I think it’s really cool unique feature even if they don’t do a ton. The team who designed them deserves massive praise they look really good.
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I wasn't really expecting much since the gurus did say you could neither pet them or feed them and they practically acted like the drones. BUT, I still wish you could. They are your familiars for goodness sake! It's kinda weird that your sims doesn't even acknowledge them. I would at least be able to talk to them and get your social meter up. Hearing their cute noises while talking would be cute. At least they talk to us sometimes... :|
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2019
    When I saw the trailers and listened to the devs I thought that they were gonna act like some sort of protection from other spellcasters who could cast spells on you. While they do protect you from death from for example overcharge the spellcasters does not seem to cast spells on you randomly.

I kinda hoped that they would act as a shield all the time and make you be careful about dueling and interacting with other spellcasters so that there was a sense of danger with walking around in the magic realm which would also prevent you from leveling up too quickly.

Doesn't sound impossible to do with mods actually, if casting spells are the same as any action, maybe you could add so they cast spells on each other autonomously.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I was hoping I could talk to them to fulfill social need. Pretty disappointed that I cant do that.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    The only opinions my familiars have are the ones I give them.
  • AirakaleAirakale Posts: 97 Member
    I am still mad over the fact that we got bunnerfly and phoenix familiars even before we got pet rabbit and bird.

Just kidding, but seriously I really hope that it doesn’t exclude us from getting a proper pet dragon and phoenix in future packs, like, idk, in a back to the medieval EP?
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    I love them, I think they're adorable. I wish I could do more with them but I'm okay with them just hovering.
    1500x500.jpg
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I was hoping I could talk to them to fulfill social need. Pretty disappointed that I cant do that.

Weeeeell you can if you set your cat or dog as your familiar. I like that there is that integration between packs.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I actually like them, the Owl, the Fairy, and the Crow are what I’ve seen so far.

I like that they have glowing eyes too.
    How many familiars can we have summoned at once again?
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    My only gripe with them is that you can't talk to them. It would've been a neat little way to fill social need, and I would've really enjoyed getting the occasional sarcastic answer in conversation. Other than that, I think they're okay? Idk I won't use them a ton. At least not the pokéball familiars. Actual cat familiars, however, I will use all the time! :)
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I actually like them, the Owl, the Fairy, and the Crow are what I’ve seen so far.

I like that they have glowing eyes too.
    How many familiars can we have summoned at once again?

Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I think they're adorable, and I love the personalities displayed in their commentary when you have them up when brewing a potion. I haven't had multiples of the same kind yet, so I don't know if the personalities are by familiar type or if they vary within types.

I agree that it would be nice if they could be talked to as well, but I'm okay with them just being there occasionally commenting on the notification wall.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    They are cute but I will keep using my cat most of the time. Also I had my cat in familiar mode at home and went to the realm. Summoned the Starry Owl and my cat also showed up still as a familiar. So you can have 2 out if one is a pet right now. Of course it was probably a bug so who knows how long it will last.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited September 2019
    I wish I could pet them. Hug them. Play with them. Talk to them. Interact more!!

How come we can't do that? Is it the animations? Probably the animations. But come on.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    They're very cartoony-looking, so I will probably only use them for kids, some sort of His Dark Materials reference.
    unknown.png

It makes rubber ducky noises
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    I wish I could pet them. Hug them. Play with them. Talk to them. Interact more!!

How come we can't do that? Is it the animations? Probably the animations. But come on.

Agreed. I thought they were going to be a little like the daemons from His Dark Materials in that they follow the sim around, but could be dismissed at will, and I assumed you could treat them as a sort of pet. I like them but I would like them even more if sims could interact with them.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • _starfrog_starfrog Posts: 84 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    The only opinions my familiars have are the ones I give them.

i am so stoked you said this
    still using fabric softener
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I was actually surprised that we got familiars. They are a bit cartoony but they are supposed to be "magical" creatures, so I'm okay with it. Plus, you can make your pet dog and/or cat a familiar which was also a pleasant surprise. All in all, I'm okay with the familiars. They are a lot for it being a GP. And, if you'll forgive a HP reference, I can give all my Potter sims an appropriate familiar.

Harry - owl
    Ron - Leafbat
    Hermione - cat
    Dumbledore - phoenix
    Snape - skull
    Hagrid - dragon
    Neville - glowfrog
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I like them, but I never bother using them because they're so irrelevant. Tbh, I'd gladly give them all up for one familiar -say, a dragon- that I can hatch, raise and take care of.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017