Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Even Occult Bro? (Discussion)

FrieaFriea Posts: 54 Member
So! With the addition of a new occult Sim, I find myself sitting there staring at CAS not wanting to be ANY of the occult options. I have my gripes about all of them honestly but here's the thing, I always tend to just make a normal sim. I find the occult Sims to be... novelty. Cool for the moment when they come out and maybe neat to have in your game here and there but I just don't go out of my way to be any type of occult Sim.

Don't get me wrong I am sure there are plenty that feel opposite and enjoy them but man I just... don't wanna micromanage things that come along with them. While spellcasters can live a relatively normal life with no micromanagement, I sincerely can not play vampires.
Vampires thirst is annoying to manage because the blood packets don't fill needs enough (I feel) and then if you have an introvert Sim, finding someone to bite is sometimes a challenge... and then sometimes the bite fails. The sun situation is understandable but annoying if you want to go to a festival or something.

I don't know why but I just don't enjoy the Occult sims past maybe a week after their release so here's my question, what is your favorite occult and what is your most hated? Why?

My favorite I suppose is Spellcasters because it has the smallest impact on lifestyle
My most hated is Vampires because they are annoying to manage.
fT4P3EZ.jpg
♥ Learn to Love Yourself

Comments

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2019
    I feel you about vampires. It's why I've never liked them all that much. I find it annoying to go out and look for suitable plasma sources. However they don't need to be social, just find a sim, compel for deep drink. Done.

Witches, on the other hand, I have always loved. Nearly all my sims in 3 are witches and things will probably be similar again in 4. There are exceptions though :) but like you said, you can also just play them as normal sims or spellcasters that never level up at all.

All that being said, I'm sort of itching to do an all-occult household (that is a household with one of each occult type, minus aliens). But that will be sometime after my magical school :D
  • FrieaFriea Posts: 54 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I feel you about vampires. It's why I've never liked them all that much. I find it annoying to go out and look for suitable plasma sources. However they don't need to be social, just find a sim, compel for deep drink. Done.

Witches, on the other hand, I have always loved. Nearly all my sims in 3 are witches and things will probably be similar again in 4. There are exceptions though :) but like you said, you can also just play them as normal sims or spellcasters that never level up at all.

All that being said, I'm sort of itching to do an all-occult household (that is a household with one of each occult type, minus aliens). But that will be sometime after my magical school :D

That would be really neat I think! It would be challenging though.
    Vampires I know don't need to be social but when compel for deep drink fails its just annoying to go around and find people.
    I wish the "Vegan" Vampire lifestyle was more of an option with plasma packets or plasma fruit.
    I tried the vegan way and I just couldn't sustain my sim.
    fT4P3EZ.jpg
    ♥ Learn to Love Yourself
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Most of the sims in my legacy save have been vampires. I also like playing normal sims but I find vampires so much easier to take care of (and sometimes they can be more fun to play). With the right combination of vampire perks, you can have a sim who:

- Doesn’t need to sleep (dark meditation all the way!)
    - No bladder need
    - No hygiene need
    - No social need
    - No fun need

So the only need you’re left with is thirst and they won’t even die of that. My vamps usually live next to a fishing spot so that they can fish without leaving the lot. That means they have an ample supply of fish for lots of free plasma packs. I also get them an orchard of plasma fruit trees and they complete the food vampire aspiration so that others usually don’t deny their requests to drink. Honestly I don’t find the third need challenging to keep up with.

The fact that they have so few needs leaves them with lots of time to make a fortune by painting and they can complete lots of aspirations to earn themselves a money tree for more $$$

The vampiric speed and teleportation powers are so useful. I hate how slowly normal sims walk sometimes!

And there’s a power to speed up skill gain by a lot at night. That’s very helpful. Stacked with reward traits which also speed up skill gain (such as top notch toddler, the childhood aspiration traits, the scouting aptitude trait)m you can max out skills very quickly.

The burning in the sun thing is annoying but I always get my vamps level 3 sun resistance which gets rid of that issue.

The ‘eternally welcome’ reward trait which enables a vampire to enter any house uninvited is a lot of fun. I’ve had more than one kleptomaniac vampire burglar.

And obviously they are immortal. I like that. It means I can keep many generations of the family around.

I have played with spellcasters enough yet to form a comprehensive opinion on them, but they also seem fun! I don’t know whether they will replace my beloved vampires yet but we shall see.
    Most of the sims in my legacy save have been vampires. I also like playing normal sims but I find vampires so much easier to take care of (and sometimes they can be more fun to play). With the right combination of vampire perks, you can have a sim who:

- No bladder need
    - No hygiene need
    - No social need
    - No fun need

So the only need you’re left with is thirst and they won’t even die of that. My vamps usually live next to a fishing spot so that they can fish without leaving the lot. That means they have an ample supply of fish for lots of free plasma packs. I also get them an orchard of plasma fruit trees and they complete the food vampire aspiration so that others usually don’t deny their requests to drink. Honestly I don’t find the third need challenging to keep up with.

The fact that they have so few needs leaves them with lots of time to make a fortune by painting and they can complete lots of aspirations to earn themselves a money tree for more $$$

The vampiric speed and teleportation powers are so useful. I hate how slowly normal sims walk sometimes!

And there’s a power to speed up skill gain by a lot at night. That’s very helpful. Stacked with reward traits which also speed up skill gain (such as top notch toddler, the childhood aspiration traits, the scouting aptitude trait)m you can max out skills very quickly.

The burning in the sun thing is annoying but I always get my vamps level 3 sun resistance which gets rid of that issue.

The ‘eternally welcome’ reward trait which enables a vampire to enter any house uninvited is a lot of fun. I’ve had more than one kleptomaniac vampire burglar.

And obviously they are immortal. I like that. It means I can keep many generations of the family around.

I have played with spellcasters enough yet to form a comprehensive opinion on them, but they also seem fun! I don’t know whether they will replace my beloved vampires yet but we shall see.

Im glad someone loves Vampires. Maybe I will work on trying to enjoy them more but for now, they remain the bane of every game for me.
    Teleportation power is fun with a spellcaster sim, makes walking obsolete so I can see how that is an awesome perk.
    With perk's though you can get the never hungry, tired, ect as well as being a normal sim they just are a little more costly but I understand how they are useful for a vampire. I just hate the sun and thirst aspect I suppose.
    fT4P3EZ.jpg
    ♥ Learn to Love Yourself
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I love the occults, especially vampires there is just so much to them and I do not find them hard to manage, just gotta get the hang of it and know which perks to pick (mine always have sun resistance maxed out, unless I want to play a more "traditional" vampire).
    Mermaids are next, I just always loved mermaids and for a sidefeature they are pretty well done imho, I enjoy evil mermaids the most, trying to drown sims and such >:)
    Aliens are kinda boring, they can't really do much interesting stuff but I still like having some.
    Plantsims...not much to them either, plus you can't be one permanently and can't change their hair...
    Ghosts are fun for a little while.

I don't have spellcasters yet, since I am on console and got to wait till october, but I have a feeling they will become my number 1 occult.

in general I just love a good mix of realism and magic/weird in the sims and the world (like buildings/venues some are normal and some are...different).
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I like Spell casters and Vampires the most. I like that they have that whole extra UI skill point thing going on. Vampires become a lot easier to manage if you invest time into them and choose your skill points wisely.

Mermaids and Aliens are quite boring to me compared with the above two occults because they feel rather lacking.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Friea wrote: »

- No bladder need
    - No hygiene need
    - No social need
    - No fun need

Im glad someone loves Vampires. Maybe I will work on trying to enjoy them more but for now, they remain the bane of every game for me.
    Teleportation power is fun with a spellcaster sim, makes walking obsolete so I can see how that is an awesome perk.
    With perk's though you can get the never hungry, tired, ect as well as being a normal sim they just are a little more costly but I understand how they are useful for a vampire. I just hate the sun and thirst aspect I suppose.
    That’s true. Somehow I never do get those perks for my normal sims, though. It kinda doesn’t feel right unless they’re occult.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    For me it's just preference for the stories I want to tell and am attracted too. I have started out vampires multiple times but .. well I think I want it to be much darker than it is for me to put that work into it, because those are the stories I grew up with and the only stories that I want to tell and those stories are harder to tell in this game. Maybe it's just that vampires aren't simmish to me. I can see witches as kind of goofy to normalish (trying to live in a normal world like a normal person) and still have fun with them I can play them as sims... and I guess since I'm seeing all they can do it's easier to come up with more options to tell different stories or see more scenerios as I actually engage with it. I'm engaged and it opens my eyes to seeing more possibilities. Heck I even do this with scientists... I don't make normal scientists they are mad scientists or evil or megamind types that want to take over the world.

When I play vamps I can usually feed fairly easy in the beginning depending on traits... I have an aversion to trying plasma packs. I'll have blood dolls in my basement or get my blood like a classical vamp or nothing thank you very much. I think if I went further with it..actually allowed myself too I'd be more open to trying them out more. As it is though I like having them as silly adversaries and since I'm enjoying witches so much I'm tempted to try a household with a witch and a vamp. I'm guessing some nice spells/potions can work on vampires to help the fledglings I make get to a more powerful state faster... then maybe I'll enjoy them more.
    egTcBMc.png
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I love em all except zombies but I guess they need love too? I always had 1 or 2 in my game. Vampires and aliens are my favorite occult since sims2. Vampires were harder to manage in sims 2 because they would burn in their house if there were windows! Anyway, I give occult’s normal jobs, have them raise children like anyone else, and vampires can only feed on their spouse, or make plasma salads, eat the fruit and so forth. I enjoy their slight differences from the normies. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    For me it's just preference for the stories I want to tell and am attracted too. I have started out vampires multiple times but .. well I think I want it to be much darker than it is for me to put that work into it, because those are the stories I grew up with and the only stories that I want to tell and those stories are harder to tell in this game. Maybe it's just that vampires aren't simmish to me. I can see witches as kind of goofy to normalish (trying to live in a normal world like a normal person) and still have fun with them I can play them as sims... and I guess since I'm seeing all they can do it's easier to come up with more options to tell different stories or see more scenerios as I actually engage with it. I'm engaged and it opens my eyes to seeing more possibilities. Heck I even do this with scientists... I don't make normal scientists they are mad scientists or evil or megamind types that want to take over the world.

When I play vamps I can usually feed fairly easy in the beginning depending on traits... I have an aversion to trying plasma packs. I'll have blood dolls in my basement or get my blood like a classical vamp or nothing thank you very much. I think if I went further with it..actually allowed myself too I'd be more open to trying them out more. As it is though I like having them as silly adversaries and since I'm enjoying witches so much I'm tempted to try a household with a witch and a vamp. I'm guessing some nice spells/potions can work on vampires to help the fledglings I make get to a more powerful state faster... then maybe I'll enjoy them more.

I really like stories and I find mods help make them darker ... sort of. Have you tried any of the mods that make things more interesting?
    fT4P3EZ.jpg
    ♥ Learn to Love Yourself

- No bladder need
    - No hygiene need
    - No social need
    - No fun need

That’s true. Somehow I never do get those perks for my normal sims, though. It kinda doesn’t feel right unless they’re occult.

I guess it does feel a bit cheap doesn't it?
    fT4P3EZ.jpg
    ♥ Learn to Love Yourself
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member

I really like stories and I find mods help make them darker ... sort of. Have you tried any of the mods that make things more interesting?

Yes I do play now and then with enhancement mods... and yes I've gotten a little farther with vamps that way but I won't go into details why lol. The updating bugs me though so I usually end up clearing them out of my game for months at a time. I just can't find consistency doing it that way and I do like my game otherwise so at this point it's not worth the battle to me.
    egTcBMc.png

Yes I do play now and then with enhancement mods... and yes I've gotten a little farther with vamps that way but I won't go into details why lol. The updating bugs me though so I usually end up clearing them out of my game for months at a time. I just can't find consistency doing it that way and I do like my game otherwise so at this point it's not worth the battle to me.

but I won't go into details why

I know why ;)
    fT4P3EZ.jpg
    ♥ Learn to Love Yourself
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited September 2019
    Idk I like my vampire sims
    don't have rom yet so idk about spellcasters
    mermaids and aliens could deal with more but I never expected more tho

i just mostly have my vampires "order food" by hiring mixologists or cooks or pianist or such because i am too lazy to have them hunting and idk i just feel it shows off the wealth they have gathered in their eternal lives

i also love that i can just make them hibernate and several generations later show up like "there is food in the house? nice."
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimmermartySimmermarty Posts: 44 Member
    I don't momentarily have Realm Of Magic so my favourite occult is probably mermaids. Though, they are only compatible in The Island Living world.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    It's been a great year for occult simmers but I'm a realism simmer so have none of these packs (except Vampires, which I've disabled).

I bought Vampires when I was very new to TS4 and found myself just going around killing sims. When the novelty wore off I returned to rotational play with human sims.

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question but thought I'd express my thoughts.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I have read sci-fi and fantasy books since I was a kid, I watch TV those types of shows too. But, in Sims, I just don't care to play with the Occults, I prefer regular Sims.

I have vamps, ghosts, and aliens modded so they have minimal impact on my game and I didn't buy IL, Strangerville, or RoM either and have no plans to in order to avoid mermaids, monster plants, and witches.

Honestly, I didn't buy GF either cause I have no interest in playing KIM KARDASHIAN type Sims either. I just happiest playing regular old Sims who do normal everyday things.

That's the great thing about Sims, it appeals to a lot of different gameplay styles. Personally, I am hoping the new upcoming packs will be more reality based, it feels like non-reality gameplay has been the focus for long enough.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    So I’m very much a typical realistic family style player. I’ve been this way since sims 1 so occult’s aren’t usually my thing. In sims 3 supernatural I think I played each occult once and was pretty uninspired by most. Fairies were okay. However I’ve always kind of enjoyed alchemy and witches in sims games. I had a few in sims 3 if I remember correctly including one in my 6 generation legacy. I was so excited when ROM was announced and so far I’m having an absolute blast with my spellcaster. I love the sims 4 but opening the game hasn’t made me this excited since I got seasons. I find spellcasters to be one of the best magical sims we’ve ever had mainly because you can make them so unique. Now I didn’t play making magic because I didn’t own much dlc for sims 1 so this is my favorite right now. I see myself using spellcasters more than I used witches in sims 3 tbh.

As far as least favorite it’s always always always been vampires. I hated them in sims 3. In sims 4 I’m not a fan of the break ins but thinking about it it’s kind of funny and random when it does happen which is nice to have in sims 4. I haven’t really played with them much in 4 even with having the pack about a year. ROM has inspired me though my spellcaster is going to get with this sim I like for her and he is going to become one. So holding off full judgement on sims 4 vamps till I play them. Just hadn’t gotten to it yet I did want to try them when I bought the back. Funny thing is I loved vampire novels in high school when sims 3 was my game, just never enjoyed them so much in sims.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    One of the saves I'm currently playing is a safe house in Glimmerbrook for odd balls. In it I have a vampire, alien, plant sim I modded to stay permanent, three spell caster siblings (one for each branch of magic), and their fearless leader who runs around at night possessed by the Mother and has just become a spellcaster to pursue alchemy.

My favorite occult has and always will be vampires. I just love how they have different needs than your average sim, which is why I also actually really enjoy playing with the plant sim as he can only fill his hunger bar by being outside on a sunny day or by depleting the plants in his garden. The mermaid is also helpful in this as she can clear the skies for him on cloudy days (the vampire does not appreciate this though lol). I'd have to say the alien is the least interesting odd ball in the bunch as all he can really do is erase sim's memories and empathize with them.

Here are my odd balls if you wanted to see them. https://imgur.com/a/jIeKHmo

So in order from favorite to least favorite:
    1. Vampire
    2. Spellcaster
    3. Mermaid
    4. Plant Sim
    5. Alien
    6. Ghost
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    edited September 2019
    @RavenSpit About the Plantsims .... In the CAS, choose the Plantsims hair for your sim in all the clothe styles, everyday, formal, etc. When you'll go back in game, your Plantsims' hair will change by itself at every change of emotions or situations, etc. It changes randomly with every hair their is in your CAS. You can't control it, but it's fun to see. I don't know if it's a bug, but it works like that in my game. I play Vanilla.

Favorites

Spellcaster
    Vampire
    Plantsim
    Ghost
    Mermaid
    Alien
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I only play occults now.. I used to hate them but somehow along the way I started to really enjoy them. My favourites are still vampires thought. The teleport spell just doesn't compare to the fly here as a bat vampires have.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I enjoy playing both supernatural and 'realistic' sims/stories. Often I also like to combine the two e.g. good vampire trying to live like a human. I love all things supernatural, but vampires have always been my favourite in stories and gameplay. There is just something that really appeals to me about the horror and tragedy of the immortal vampire with an eternal thirst for 'plasma'. TS4 vampires are so versatile and full of character. I wouldn't want to play without them, in fact my main sim is a vampire.

There isn't really an occult I dislike, but I suppose my least favourite so far is probably aliens (or plant sims if they even count). I'm just not as into sci-fi. It wouldn't be Sims without them though.

My order from favourite to least:
    Vampire <3
    Spellcaster (I still wish other occults could learn magic or at least alchemy, child/toddler spellcasters had some magical abilities, and adults had more interesting abilities e.g. telekinesis, weather and time manipulation etc.)
    Mermaid (would be second place if we could go underwater with them. I have always loved mermaids)
    Ghost (would be second or third place if they were more than transparent sims, invisible to living sims, had different needs, 'unfinished business', and other abilities/interactions)
    Alien
    Plant Sim

I would love to see mermaids and ghosts expanded on. I am also hoping for werewolves and fairies.
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I mostly only enjoy vampires and spellcasters, but mermaids are definitely at the bottom of the list imo. I just don't see the point? They don't really have any decent abilities besides changing the weather for a few hours at a time and their 'power' depletes so quickly. I've never really been excited over mermaids, but vampires and spellcasters keep me entertained for longer I guess because you have to work to gain powers on the skill tree which keeps my game interesting for longer.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I love the occult and now that I bought Magic I refuse to play anything but a mage. But vampires are irritating at times...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I only have Vampires and Mermaids, putting Vampires at the top and Mermaids at the bottom easily.

Vampires have the skill tree, mermaids do not, and I don't have any other occults to compare them to :(
    funny-gifs20.gif