March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm starting to think it's not gonna get better.

Comments

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think that I might not need some of the features that others think are missing from TS4. In terms of gameplay, sure, I welcome some of that but I also don't want to be overly directed either.

Personally, I think we might finally be getting to the point where they can add some concepts that haven't existed in previous versions of the game rather than starting all over. I obviously have with each version but that doesn't mean I will again.

My main opposition to TS5 is that I'm generally pretty happy and I don't want to start over again with all the same types of packs and concepts that would need to be added to a new game. Yeah, I like the Sims and I'd probably ultimately spring for TS5 but I don't know. I can't say that I'd jump on repeating everything yet again just to have it in an open world.

In terms of consequences, I tend to make those for myself but I've also liked packs like JA that go in a slightly different direction than what we've seen before.

I think I'd like to see some more new content that adds new elements to TS4 rather than throwing it out. At the same time, I am not deeply unhappy. Yes, sometimes the emotions may be off the wall but I probably just laugh at things that annoy other people.

Like, ok, the laundry pack wasn't my idea. I got it mainly for the CAS/BB but most of my sims do their laundry. It's not the highlight of my game but it does add realism. It's one more thing for them to manage as they go about their business. Clothes pile up. That said, yeah, I'm always open to new gameplay and new game styles. Yes, I'd be open to seeing them offer more complicated attraction. I just don't want everything to be decided by the game through simple automated reactions. I think I probably fill in the gaps where others might think some thing is missing.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • thelawtman wrote: »
    I am honestly surprised that anyone would listen to what a youtuber says about a game. Why not just play and make your own opinion?

Ummm, I've played this game for 5 years and agree on every point they've made???

That doesn't mean everyone else should consider this important :)
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    If this type of simulation game was easy everybody would be making one. Seeing Maxis's problems with it probably makes others shudder and say We're not doing one!" Being lazy I expect game-changers to find out all the faults, so appreciate them but just wish EA/Maxis gives them more time to find them out and notifying back before making videos with all the OMGs and screaming that goes on.

There have always been problems with all of the games and the complexity of a 3D type as compared to 1 and 2 must be difficult to program. I'm surprised there are so few. (unpopular opinion)!

I expect Sims 4 will survive. I hope it does as I couldn't go back to 3, maybe 2 though. I'm enjoying ROM and taking it slow. Apparently it's coming out of CAS etc., too fast is one of the problems and I haven't come across that yet. Frequent Saving is my advice! :)
  • ItsJanier wrote: »
    First of all, thank you OP for making this post.
    BreeNilla wrote: »
    musteni wrote: »
    A missing door and wrong coloured roof don't ruin a pack. Whatever.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So James was complaining about islands not matching counters and this girl is complaining about a roof?

I’d like to know who is avoiding buying the pack based on the reasons mentioned above?
    simm621 wrote: »
    A missing door, a roof not completed and missing cupboards. It would be sad to judge an entire pack on those few things.

I think y'all are missing the big picture here. James even said he wanted to open up conversation about the issue in his video, and while he only focused on a few, he knows there are way wayyy more problems with the game.

James and lilsimsie are both builders and they care a lot about what they do. They care about the quality of the game and they want it to be good. But it’s not. This isn’t a new game, it’s 5 years old. This isn’t a small company, it’s EA/Maxis. Sure, bugs and mistakes are going to happen. But a house without any toilets (GF), a misplaced fruit bowl rendering the counter unusable (Strangerville), stairs that lead to nowhere (RoM), island counters that are made incorrectly after waiting 3 months for them when a modder made one days after release (IL), no special animation for mermaids (IL), no matching cabinets with new counters (GF), another missing island counter (JA), etc., it’s like lilsimsie said. Sloppy. Mistakes that would be caught during playtesting and features with the quality intentionally lowered.

Not once did they say the pack/game is bad because of the things they pointed out. Not once did they say not to buy or play it. They’re just bringing up reoccurring problems that are really annoying to see in such a big name game, and one they love to play. You may have a different play style and therefore don’t care about their gripes. I’m not a builder, I get my houses from the gallery and I never would’ve noticed the columns or counter problem, but the fact still stands that the quality we’ve been getting is low.

I still haven't gotten RoM. I was so disappointed by Island Living that I refuse to buy another pack at full price. At least until they fix/update/overhaul the base game.

&
    But having cute sims is fine and dandy but there’s nothing to do with them that has any real depth. The cute sims are just clones of each other. Sims 3 changed a lot and definitely not all good but sims 4 has made this game franchise a shadow of it former self. The sims 4 has a huge focus on being a safe space where we can all learn and grow according to their CM and that’s half the problem. It wants to be a tool not a game.

Sims 4 running better is subjective. I have a friend with a nvidia 2070 graphics card, for her the game hasn’t stopped crashing since she was given RoM. On the contrary she runs sims 3 beautifully. Sims 4 is full of bugs and that will only get worse.

I for one, am glad to see that others are starting to talk about this game in a more frank way.
    https://youtu.be/RisemHUmYWE

I agree with you two @BreeNilla and @MidnightAura so much. Your comments are great!

I have been playing The Sims games from the beginning. It's one of my favourite game franchises and for me TS4 is the worst entry yet. It's just boring, too easy and safe. It's pretty for sure but fresh paint doesn't really cover the biggest things that this game is lacking. Depth.

TS4 is good for people who wants to control every little detail, who doesn't want anything bad to happen and who are looking for a "safe space". But to me that isn't what a life simulation game is supposed to be. Life isn't all Disney. There are things you can't control in real life and that just makes The Sims 4 too shallow for me.
    I only play The Sims 4 when I want to build houses because that's something this game does well. When I actually wanna play The Sims I play TS2 or TS3.

I get it that some people really want to micromanage everything when it comes to games and TS4 is perfect game for players like that. And yes there are also players who just happens to like TS4. But then there are those people who defend The Sims 4 because they have invested so much time and money on it. It's understandable because that's how humans work. We try to defend our actions and don't want to admit that we may have done not so smart choises.. That's why criticizing and pointing out the "little" and not so little mistakes that devs have done is needed so the devs/maxis/ea knows what players want and why the players aren't happy.

There will always be people who disagree with you because taste is subjective. We should still respect their opinions.

See , this is the problem. It's very hypocritical to ask that people respect all of your criticisms, when you can't even respect that some people like sims 4. You were condescending at several different points.

People who need "safe spaces" for their mental/emotional health is a totally unrelated conversation. And they are not your punching bags.But literally has nothing to do with 'The Sims' at all. And liking sims 4 doesn't mean , we wouldn't welcome some challenge. Im tired of seeing intolerance for other people on this forum. The people who need "safe spaces" comment is baseless and unnecessary. Seems the other side can't critique sims 4 without attacking the fanbase for Sims 4. None of the sims games have been incredibly gritty or difficult, so let's not act like Sims 3 or Sims 2 were much less disney'esque'.

And it looks like you edited out the part where you maybe "admitted" some of us just LIKE sims 4. And it's not because of the reasons you invented . I didn't even like sims 3. And I would not play sims 3 or sims 2 for FREE. I have recently re-played both and didn't see what was so much better about them at all gameplay wise @ItsJanier

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    Simmify wrote: »
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    So James was complaining about islands not matching counters and this girl is complaining about a roof?

I’d like to know who is avoiding buying the pack based on the reasons mentioned above?
    A missing door, a roof not completed and missing cupboards. It would be sad to judge an entire pack on those few things.

I think y'all are missing the big picture here. James even said he wanted to open up conversation about the issue in his video, and while he only focused on a few, he knows there are way wayyy more problems with the game.

James and lilsimsie are both builders and they care a lot about what they do. They care about the quality of the game and they want it to be good. But it’s not. This isn’t a new game, it’s 5 years old. This isn’t a small company, it’s EA/Maxis. Sure, bugs and mistakes are going to happen. But a house without any toilets (GF), a misplaced fruit bowl rendering the counter unusable (Strangerville), stairs that lead to nowhere (RoM), island counters that are made incorrectly after waiting 3 months for them when a modder made one days after release (IL), no special animation for mermaids (IL), no matching cabinets with new counters (GF), another missing island counter (JA), etc., it’s like lilsimsie said. Sloppy. Mistakes that would be caught during playtesting and features with the quality intentionally lowered.

Not once did they say the pack/game is bad because of the things they pointed out. Not once did they say not to buy or play it. They’re just bringing up reoccurring problems that are really annoying to see in such a big name game, and one they love to play. You may have a different play style and therefore don’t care about their gripes. I’m not a builder, I get my houses from the gallery and I never would’ve noticed the columns or counter problem, but the fact still stands that the quality we’ve been getting is low.

I still haven't gotten RoM. I was so disappointed by Island Living that I refuse to buy another pack at full price. At least until they fix/update/overhaul the base game.

&
    But having cute sims is fine and dandy but there’s nothing to do with them that has any real depth. The cute sims are just clones of each other. Sims 3 changed a lot and definitely not all good but sims 4 has made this game franchise a shadow of it former self. The sims 4 has a huge focus on being a safe space where we can all learn and grow according to their CM and that’s half the problem. It wants to be a tool not a game.

Sims 4 running better is subjective. I have a friend with a nvidia 2070 graphics card, for her the game hasn’t stopped crashing since she was given RoM. On the contrary she runs sims 3 beautifully. Sims 4 is full of bugs and that will only get worse.

I for one, am glad to see that others are starting to talk about this game in a more frank way.

I agree with you two @BreeNilla and @MidnightAura so much. Your comments are great!

I have been playing The Sims games from the beginning. It's one of my favourite game franchises and for me TS4 is the worst entry yet. It's just boring, too easy and safe. It's pretty for sure but fresh paint doesn't really cover the biggest things that this game is lacking. Depth.

TS4 is good for people who wants to control every little detail, who doesn't want anything bad to happen and who are looking for a "safe space". But to me that isn't what a life simulation game is supposed to be. Life isn't all Disney. There are things you can't control in real life and that just makes The Sims 4 too shallow for me.
    I only play The Sims 4 when I want to build houses because that's something this game does well. When I actually wanna play The Sims I play TS2 or TS3.

I get it that some people really want to micromanage everything when it comes to games and TS4 is perfect game for players like that. And yes there are also players who just happens to like TS4. But then there are those people who defend The Sims 4 because they have invested so much time and money on it. It's understandable because that's how humans work. We try to defend our actions and don't want to admit that we may have done not so smart choises.. That's why criticizing and pointing out the "little" and not so little mistakes that devs have done is needed so the devs/maxis/ea knows what players want and why the players aren't happy.

There will always be people who disagree with you because taste is subjective. We should still respect their opinions.

See , this is the problem. It's very hypocritical to ask that people respect all of your criticisms, when you can't even respect that some people like sims 4. You were condescending at several different points.

People who need "safe spaces" for their mental/emotional health is a totally unrelated conversation. And they are not your punching bags.But literally has nothing to do with 'The Sims' at all. And liking sims 4 doesn't mean , we wouldn't welcome some challenge. Im tired of seeing intolerance for other people on this forum. The people who need "safe spaces" comment is baseless and unnecessary. Seems the other side can't critique sims 4 without attacking the fanbase for Sims 4. None of the sims games have been incredibly gritty or difficult, so let's not act like Sims 3 or Sims 2 were much less disney'esque'.

And it looks like you edited out the part where you maybe "admitted" some of us just LIKE sims 4. And it's not because of the reasons you invented . I didn't even like sims 3. And I would not play sims 3 or sims 2 for FREE. I have recently re-played both and didn't see what was so much better about them at all gameplay wise @ItsJanier

I shouldn't worry about it. We get these threads all the time when new bugs come up in new Packs. A majority of the objects in ROM are beautifully done, especially the worlds, windows and doors and I hope the problem ones get attention as they have been noted by the game-changers. I just go on enjoying Sims 4 regardless and when it no longer sells that's ok with me. I've got enough to go on with.

These threads might even help by getting particular Sims 4 staff more help from the bosses, not enough of them, overworked employees etc... Don't let it descend into the personal arguments. They get terminated as do the 1x2x3x4 ones!.
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited September 2019
    I really hate the mentality of "if you find problems with the game then you shouldn't play the game." Because for a start that means you'd never play any game ever because they all have issues at least somewhere.

..//

This. I still love the game, but I should also be allowed to feel disappointed and frustrated, because I think it could be so much better and I don't understand why it isn't by now.
    thelawtman wrote: »
    I am honestly surprised that anyone would listen to what a youtuber says about a game. Why not just play and make your own opinion?

Sometimes watching an EA Game Changer's review let's you see things in the packs that you wouldn't notice until you've been playing it for a while already, since they get the packs a few days' before release. In a way, they have an opportunity to "break" the game to see what may or may not be wrong with it. Ideally, they wouldn't have to tell us about all the bugs, but rather just do a review about the new gameplay and items in it. I also find that if one YT'er has a similar playing style to mine, I can usually trust them to reveal anything that is flawed or that is excellent.
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    thelawtman wrote: »

they arnt stood there telling people that they need to agree with them and mindlessly follow everything they say. Someone expressing a personal opinion on youtube is no different to someone starting a thread here in the forum to express their own opinions. Its using a platform to open up a discussion, where we all have the ability to use our free will to form our own personal thoughts and feelings and express our own opinions.

I really cant understand why so many people in this thread have shown such ambivilance towards youtubers expressing their own thoughts, like they think they are an authority on the subject and everyone should follow them. I've watched all the videos and would say that aside from lilsimsie none of them are making out that their own opinion is all that matters and we should all agree with them, and i honestly dont think that is what lilsimsie thinks or feels about her own opinions either.

So why all the hate for youtubers? Its just another platform for discussion, plumbella even made a video specifically looking at the opinions of everyday game players who filled in a survey she made to try and understand how the "general public" feel about the game. The whole idea of e.a. having game changers of ALL types, not just the youtubers, is to allow them early access to the game to form honest opinions on the new DLCs and share them with players so that they can form their own opinions about wether or not they want to buy a pack.

Just because people enjoy watching youtubers and seeing what their thoughts are about a game doesnt mean we havent played the game for ourselves and formed our own opinions...
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

And who ever said that the roof was an accident? The default roof actually looks good with some builds.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Carl’s review is here: https://youtu.be/U5rbwXvEJ98

I have seen all this feedback and I am glad it’s being talked about openly. It makes me respect the GCers more for putting it out there.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    @babyjayne. Yes, that was the video I mentioned a few pages back. I'm not a big RPG player but in packs like Makin' Magic, Superstar, Showtime, Vampires etc. one expects there to be some challenge to getting powers, and skills and many ways to achieve the goal, and for there to be some consequences. Yes, the floating world etc. is a new twist, but once you make a pack like Makin' Magic, the problem becomes you have to live up to that legend and if you can't maybe not try. TS2 and TS3 magic seems even more involved and challenging than this pack and witches in TS2 were not even in a dedicated pack about them. I just don't understand why we keep accepting low brow gameplay over quality and depth.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @babyjayne. Yes, that was the video I mentioned a few pages back. I'm not a big RPG player but in packs like Makin' Magic, Superstar, Showtime, Vampires etc. one expects there to be some challenge to getting powers, and skills and many ways to achieve the goal, and for there to be some consequences. Yes, the floating world etc. is a new twist, but once you make a pack like Makin' Magic, the problem becomes you have to live up to that legend and if you can't maybe not try. TS2 and TS3 magic seems even more involved and challenging than this pack and witches in TS2 were not even in a dedicated pack about them. I just don't understand why we keep accepting low brow gameplay over quality and depth.

I agree, there’s no challenge anymore therefore no real satisfaction from achieving anything in this game. I might be interested if the spells brought more innovative gameplay. But it’s just more of the same old, same old. Change an emotion. Duplicate an object. Refill needs. Start a fire that’s not even that dangerous. They’ve just continued adding more ways to achieve the same old results. I suppose there’s a bit of a throwback to “Influence to...” with getting other sims to do things, but that’s not enough for me to want this pack. I don’t really care for magic but I did enjoy having a good witch in a past Sims game. So I was on the fence about this one until reviews came out. Maybe it’s not all my cup of tea but I still think I could have gotten into trying something different if the rewards were compelling.

Like the stairs update (which I am very happy about) we need gameplay that takes us in new directions, and more complex personalities even if they are limiting (that’s the point).
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I'm not sure about hundreds. But there were a ton released recently. They opened up all (or most?) of the dev items that used to only be background things. Now we can use them. They make great scenes but are not interactible.

Oh, I know about those - but I take issue with calling them "free". They were all created by environment artists for various DLC packs and used as world decor, which means they were created for games we paid for. Ticking a box to allow them to be selected in build/buy does not mean we are being provided with hundreds of pieces of free content, which seemed to be the implication.
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    edited September 2019
    Simmify wrote: »
    ItsJanier wrote: »

&

If you had actually red my comment without being triggered by it you would have noticed that it does say that "And yes there are also players who just happens to like TS4". I may personally not think that TS4 is the greatest The Sims game ever but I know people who happens to think so. In my comment I was actually trying to be nice for those who happens to like what TS4 has to offer. It has it's good and bad points. And asked people respect different opinions about the game because some of the comments seemed a bit too harsh. I just wanted people to be able to continue talking about this subject more but whatever.

And just FYI the only things that I edited were my spelling errors. I have dyslexia and English is my 3rd language so sometimes I need to edit my comments a bit if I notice spelling errors. So next time don't assume.
    Post edited by ItsJanier on
  • techcity33techcity33 Posts: 3 New Member
    Idea – Bug Smash Report Posted Before Each Pack’s Release

Hi,

For any dev reading this, can a Bug Smash report be posted to the forums before each pack’s release? I know it’s a long shot. This request is not the norm in the software industry, much less game development. However, I think it would be great for the franchise. Sims 4 players are running into problems playing the game due to bugs. We agree it’s frustrating since we all want The Sims 4 to be the best it can be.

It’s impossible to catch and fix every bug, and this report won’t reduce the number of bugs on release. However, a Bug Smash report gives players a peek at the process. Having a Bug Smash report release is an open and honest game development practice. Players will be more informed on the game’s new content. The Bug Smash report can help them decide whether to purchase the new pack. Knowing more about the game could increase sales over the long term. And the report can show EA higher management what players value in Sims 4 content.

The Bug Smash report should list common penetration testing and bug tracking statistics on each pack. The testing tools used by the game’s testers likely generates these statistics automatically.

The report should have the:
    - Hours logged searching for bugs
    - Total bugs found
    - Total bugs smashed
    - Hours logged smashing bugs
    - Names of packs tested with the new pack
    - Percentage of penetration testing on the new pack, out of total function calls in the new code
    - Percentage of penetration testing on the new pack including the other packs tested with it (out of function calls in the new and old code)

These statistics can change to be more relevant to testing practices. Time will tell if players can trust a report like this, but I believe this is worth giving a try.

Keeping the report simple yet informative would give players a glimpse of the work and time dedicated to new packs before release.
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    This game needs to be cancelled and Maxis needs to rethink all the situation with the franchise. The Sims has been launching games and packs for 20 years non-stop. The cow is so dry now they can't simply provide good content for the game.

The Sims 4 has been a mess since 2014 it was very clear they would never achieve the same level of gameplay depth we've seen in The Sims 2 or The Sims 3. They tried? Of course they did, but the game is broken and the engine is plum. I play the game and need to stop just because I can't stand all the bugs and things not working, or Sims teleporting while walking, or Sims resetting... This game has survived just because of all the recycled content they reused over and over and over.

At this point I even think The Sims franchise needs to rest for some years before they launch a new game. Of course EA isn't gonna do it but oh well.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    *yawn*

Why should I care about lilsimsie since I'm not a builder?

@PlayerSinger2010 thats exactly why you should care, cuz you're going to be stuck with EAxis broken houses beside other problems.
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    It'$ only been 5 year$ or more $ince the $im$ 4 came out, give them $ome time to finally make the game good with lot$ of additional, paid-for content$. Give them some more chance$, I'm $ure they'll come through.

@Bagoas77 five years and maybe we'll finally have the first DLC's fixed. You guys are going to have to wait 5 years to see RoM fixed (if they fix it).

@Chazzzy It takes a very innocent person (not to say dumb) to think that the game problems end up in a missing door and non-matching counters. Even animations have been recycled.

Oh no, they forgot to put a door on a house. What a tragedy. It's not like houses I download off the gallery are missing doors, walls, are completely broken because of MOO...

@PlayerSinger2010

I'm curious what sort of things do you find that are broken with moo in gallery houses? I'm wondering because I've uploaded a few houses using moo but not for every object. I build my houses for my Sims and playtest them for a while before uploading them. When I playtest I try to remember to use every object and make sure the Sims can route fine. But maybe there are some things I need to look out for.
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    You know the game’s bad when you have to work your way around it in order to have fun. That’s all I’m gonna say, because the people on this thread seem to be living in a “dream world” where even if the devs are selling us worthless and plum products then it’s ok because of the few positive things, and I don’t feel like being attacked today. At least those youtubers and commenters on their videos know what’s really up 🤷‍♀️
  • Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    let's just hope the Uni pack for nov 15 makes up for some of this stuff. I have a feeling they're gonna make some kind of comeback for lackluster gameplay soon.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    You know the game’s bad when you have to work your way around it in order to have fun. That’s all I’m gonna say, because the people on this thread seem to be living in a “dream world” where even if the devs are selling us worthless and plum products then it’s ok because of the few positive things, and I don’t feel like being attacked today. At least those youtubers and commenters on their videos know what’s really up 🤷‍♀️

My 131 no mods no CC hours begs to differ. I enjoy my time and don't need to 'go out of my way.' to enjoy it.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

Preach!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    This is interesting too on how Simmers really feel about the game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RisemHUmYWE
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NakkihevariNakkihevari Posts: 22 Member
    There are a lot of comments saying that it's silly to take into consideration what these YoutTubers are saying, because they're somehow irrelevant or they play The Sims 4 the wrong way or some other reason I don't fully understand. But these YouTubers have huge platforms with which they can reach the devs. I think a lot the concerns they have voiced are valid. The Sims community has always been very active and vocal, and these YouTubers are just a new addition to how the community interacts and communicates with the game developers.
  • WolfNate wrote: »

My 131 no mods no CC hours begs to differ. I enjoy my time and don't need to 'go out of my way.' to enjoy it.

Agree :) Just because some aren't having fun and have to "try" doesn't say anything about the game really <3