Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Regular townies turning into spellcasters?

Comments

• Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
    Hopefully this is a glitch and I’ll just play on my ROM save for now.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    I have installed the mod to prevent premades being turned into Spellcasters. Before I installed it, I did meet Moira Fyres walking in Glimmerbrook. It looked like she was coming from the Portal.

09-10-19-4-37-44-PM.png

She is a played character of mine, and she was NOT turned into a Spellcaster. I am pretty appalled at the situational outfit the game made her wear though. Eyeball ring and everything.

If she had been turned, I would have been OK with it in her case. I mean she is a freelance botanist, and in my game has studied herbology. She could easily have made a wrong turn heading to Granite Falls. Had it been Don Lothario, for example, I would not have been happy.

Which mod is that? I installed a mod but so far I'm still getting randomly generated townies as spellcasters
  • wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    Vampris wrote: »
    I feel like they should stop with the occults being forced into the shadows and just add an OFF button already like in Sims 3.
    Boom, both sides satisfied

Yes. I don't see why this would be so hard for them to do. Then you could toggle it off or on depending on the type of game you want to play at the time.

They should have done this with aliens and vampires too. As well as the story line for Strangerville, so that you do not have to play out the "story" there every time you start a new game.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't mind certain premades being Spellcasters, but not all of them.

The first premade Sim I saw in Realm was Mila Munch and I liked it. I actually thought of playing with her character on ROM, but because there are so many other Sims in Munch household, I changed my mind. Maybe I'll do it later.
    The second Sim I saw in Realm was Don Lothario and it made me laugh... really, game? Lol.
    The other Sims that I didn't care to see there were Johnny Zest, Penny Pizzazz and Makoa Kealoha. In fact, I didn't even notice randomly generated townies in Realm in my game, everyone except the sages seem to be premades. I wonder why they made it like this.

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think they made it this way to keep from generating too many sims... eventually it's going to just be too many with new packs still coming in. Like if we get a Uni pack I doubt they will pull normal sims into Professor jobs and we will need generated students ect. Our game generates a lot of sims and it weighs in the background.
    I can see it becoming a problem when I move to another save but if I know what to do about it before hand prep wise I'm good with it personally. I plan on playing the sims I want to keep safe and using that suggestion to make a spellcaster household - unplayed. So the game can pull them in.
    egTcBMc.png
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    EdithV wrote: »
    I have installed the mod to prevent premades being turned into Spellcasters. Before I installed it, I did meet Moira Fyres walking in Glimmerbrook. It looked like she was coming from the Portal.

09-10-19-4-37-44-PM.png

She is a played character of mine, and she was NOT turned into a Spellcaster. I am pretty appalled at the situational outfit the game made her wear though. Eyeball ring and everything.

If she had been turned, I would have been OK with it in her case. I mean she is a freelance botanist, and in my game has studied herbology. She could easily have made a wrong turn heading to Granite Falls. Had it been Don Lothario, for example, I would not have been happy.

Which mod is that? I installed a mod but so far I'm still getting randomly generated townies as spellcasters

It's called "Don't Turn My Sims Into Spellcasters" by Zero.
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    They only autonomously practice magic in the Magic Realm. Extra spellacasters aren't needed until you go there, so just don't visit and your save will be fine.

There will be premades in the world though, and these will likely regenerate as randoms if you delete them.

What the point of owning the pack if I never visit? I just want the magic to stay there and not spellcasters appear in other worlds?

And where these premades you talking about? In other normal worlds? Or in magic realms? I don't want spellcasters townies to spawn in other worlds and see them walking around, in the magic world its fine of course..

Why would you buy the pack if you don't intend to use it?

I want to use it just I don't want to ruin my other realistic play, it's pretty simple..the magic should stay in the magic world..I dont want spellcasters in my realistic saves wondering around everywhere..I like both realistic and fantasy..but I don't like them to be mixed..simple.

And I want witches and randomness, less realism. This is going to be a problem if they can't please both. I am afraid they are going to water things down again because everyone complains. Without a toggle feature, you are always going win and us occult simmers always lose out which means more work for us to add them all in or stuck with mods that break.

Nothing wrong with wanting randomness as long as it done appropriately, if these things happened too often and in the same frequency it won't be rare and it'll lose its shine and become boring, EA don't know how to implement randomness properly in game for it to be fun enough..

Sorry but where's the fun in seeing celebrities everywhere you go? Even in a freakin tiny small bar in strangeville (literally everytime you go there)? Where's the fun in vampires knocking out ur door everyday? Vampires were fun in sims 2 because they were rare and only appeared at midnight at some nightclubs..in sims 4..they're everywhere..aliens..almost everywhere..especially at alien bar nights

If that's is fun to you then it's ok and we both need a toggle to enjoy our gameplay equally, but please dont try to make bring down people who prefer different type of gameplay or prefer the randomness thing in game to be done at least appropriately or tuned down..
    There're already occult lovers here who think their gameplay is more important than other players (look in the comments) and even making fun of us and call us doll-housers..sunshiners..etc

Well sorry if I'm boring to you, I like to play realistic play more becuse I never had a real loving family and a rough childhood, I just want experience what it feels like to having a loving family..why I cant have that?

In sims 2 even the realistic players never complained about occults because they had an element of surprise and didnt show up everywhere, you had to work harder to look for them which made the game more challenging and fun (compare this with people wanting everybody to be spellcasters)
    Post edited by graventhe on
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    For a moment it looked like the game was trying to convert some of the sims I created. Like their portraits in Manage households some sims were wearing new pack content, and I had filled all their clothing category options so I was afraid the game was trying to make them wear content and convert my sims to spell casters, but they were fine. Just another glitch.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Thanks for this thread. I was able to take precautions in my game to mostly avoid any existing Sims from being chosen by the game as Spellcasters. What I did was, I went to the Gallery and downloaded a bunch of Spellcasters and stuck them in Newcrest, then evicted them and went to the household manager and un-favorited them. I also tried to choose a variety of ages. I did this before going into any households to send Sims to the Realm. When I finally got there, I recognized some of the Sims I had downloaded.

Unfortunately, it's not failsafe, as one of my own Sims that I haven't played yet but who lives in Sulani, a pirate, turned up there casting spells. But as it turns out, he looks really suave as a Spellcaster so I might just keep that as his little secret. Maybe it will help him catch that Mermaid he's been chasing. >:)
    #Team Occult
  • NoniNoni Posts: 1 New Member
    > @robjoneskid said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I love magical and fantasy content myself! I just am a little uneasy with pre made townies from base game and other packs being spell casters without my intervention. I guess i thought it’d be like vampires where only some randomly generated sims would have the occult type.

there is a mod for it now. (its free) https://www.patreon.com/posts/quick-mod-for-my-29866791
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    I opened the filter, Vampires, Alien and Mermaids are blacklisted, they can't be choosen as NPCs Spellcasters... Anyway, I edited the filter and made a mod to stop non occult sims from being turned into occults at random, too... you can find it here

https://forgottenhollow-secretgarden.tumblr.com/post/187627434911/quick-mod-for-rom-dont-turn-my-sims-into

Just wondering, do you still get the population in the realm with your mod @SiliClone . I haven't loaded my true save that I want to play yet, considering whether to add my spellcasters to it, just wondering whether the game generates randoms or not?
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Dglbr1969 wrote: »
    I opened the filter, Vampires, Alien and Mermaids are blacklisted, they can't be choosen as NPCs Spellcasters... Anyway, I edited the filter and made a mod to stop non occult sims from being turned into occults at random, too... you can find it here

https://forgottenhollow-secretgarden.tumblr.com/post/187627434911/quick-mod-for-rom-dont-turn-my-sims-into

Just wondering, do you still get the population in the realm with your mod @SiliClone . I haven't loaded my true save that I want to play yet, considering whether to add my spellcasters to it, just wondering whether the game generates randoms or not?

Yes, the game will generate them. you can also use bienchen mod if you don't want randoms, here https://www.deichschafblog.de/s4/sonstige-mods/ townieoverhaul_lessfame, her mod will only pick homeless sims to be turned into spellcasters, mine totally blacklist non occult sims from being turned into mages.
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    That is awesome! thank you @SiliClone
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Bearly_MediaBearly_Media Posts: 124 Member
    Personally don't like the fact that ROM turns your sims into spellcasters. I wished they had created a roster of spellcasters with meaningful backstories and personalities to discover like what I saw in the trailer. Or, at least give the option to disable spellcaster townie generation--even if, that meant ROM Magic HQ would be mostly empty save for the 3 sages.

In fact, I would enjoy building up the magic town, slowly over time, by adding spellcasters to populate the world as walkbys; dueling, brewing & astral projecting their wares in Casters Alley. There are 3 vendors and 3 sages, and each one could initially be tended to by a sage's astral projection or magic clone--then, as you created more spellcasters, those jobs would be delegated and the overall population would become bigger and more diverse.

I was planning to bundle Island Living, Moschino, and ROM together, but now I won't be getting the packs. For about a month I'd been thinking about how I wanted to incorporate ROM into the rest of the worlds, but I don't have any interest in the chore of removing spellcasters from the world population. It's not that hard to manage households and turn a sim back to normal, but what if I don't notice a townie has been turned? I would have to be vigilant and that's not how I want to play.

This isn't related to the topic, but its not like the rest of the gameplay seems very interesting. Magic is so easy, overpowered and the world doesn't have much to explore. Townies partake in less than a handful of actions and seem as vapid as ever. I was hoping to add depth to the world and some storytelling, but like I said, the mechanics force the opposite effect.

This pack looks great for modders though. I'm sure it will spawn a thousand mods just tweaking spells, potions & talents, but it just doesn't personally suit my play style.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I thought it was pretty funny to see Eliza Pancakes with her nose in the air, doing that silly snooty walk through the magic realm. But otherwise I'm just making a few premade spell casters to plop into my world so I don't get any weird changes. Like Marcus Flex or Nancy Langraab. They just don't mesh as magical beings for me.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread. I was able to take precautions in my game to mostly avoid any existing Sims from being chosen by the game as Spellcasters. What I did was, I went to the Gallery and downloaded a bunch of Spellcasters and stuck them in Newcrest, then evicted them and went to the household manager and un-favorited them. I also tried to choose a variety of ages. I did this before going into any households to send Sims to the Realm. When I finally got there, I recognized some of the Sims I had downloaded.

Unfortunately, it's not failsafe, as one of my own Sims that I haven't played yet but who lives in Sulani, a pirate, turned up there casting spells. But as it turns out, he looks really suave as a Spellcaster so I might just keep that as his little secret. Maybe it will help him catch that Mermaid he's been chasing. >:)

I took it a step further and went through all my worlds and the sims in them. I went and "played" some of those who have just been in the world for background in stories for relationships, etc. I don't want to see them in the realm. I deleted the households in Glimmerbrook and sent them to "other households" and added some from the gallery.

"Hopefully", I don't see any of my regular sims in the realm.
  • HeatherInMyHeartHeatherInMyHeart Posts: 7 New Member
    I don’t like that random sims are being turned into spellcasters but the thing that really bothers me most is the random outfits, they’re horrible and unacceptable. Sims are wearing Christmas hats, pirate hats, skiing sunglasses and all these other horribly mismatched items. What was whoever is responsible for this thinking? People have already made threads about this issue and they continue to add this nonsense in. Why can’t they just wear the clothes I assigned them? Omg this 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off when I see sims looking a mess like this. I wish they’d just go away I don’t want to see their awful outfits. It’s not funny, it’s annoying. This is probably the thing I hate most about this game, the dumb random outfits.
  • Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member

As I see it the mod is useful for those who just start to play. It can't do much if all townies are already spellcasters...

09-10-19-4-37-44-PM.png

Thanks! I have that mod installed but i'm still getting random spellcasters, but I actually quite like it, as long as I'm not over run by them it's quite fun and makes sense my sims wouldn't be the only ones.
    I don’t like that random sims are being turned into spellcasters but the thing that really bothers me most is the random outfits, they’re horrible and unacceptable. Sims are wearing Christmas hats, pirate hats, skiing sunglasses and all these other horribly mismatched items. What was whoever is responsible for this thinking? People have already made threads about this issue and they continue to add this nonsense in. Why can’t they just wear the clothes I assigned them? Omg this plum me off when I see sims looking a mess like this. I wish they’d just go away I don’t want to see their awful outfits. It’s not funny, it’s annoying. This is probably the thing I hate most about this game, the dumb random outfits.

Tell me about it! I wish the team would correct this, same with festival outfits, who actually enjoys that part of the game.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    WolfNate wrote: »
    @fullspiral People are... Odd and want the pack for build mode content and whine about fantasy plaguing them when they bought a fantasy dlc

You're partly right about that. However, people like me don't only buy packs for build/buy items. Sometimes, it's about the world. You see, in TS4 it's impossible to get new scenery and additional real estate without having to buy it. As small as it is, Glimmerbrook is a world that doesn't look like anything else in the game. The closest resemblance is to Granite falls, which is non-residential.

That leaves players like me wondering: is it worth the hassle of dealing with magic-users in order to gain more variety in the game environs? Now that there is a mod to stop the unfettered magic-user creation, my 'to buy, or not to buy' meter is sliding a bit closer to the 'yes' side -- at a deeply discounted price. (Once again, modders to the rescue. Thank you, Zero!)

The 'net is full of cc items that I find more attractive and closer to my tastes, all for free. Unfortunately, I can't download a new world anywhere.

So, instead of some of the players in this thread blaming other gamers for spoiling the fun, perhaps, fingers should be pointed at the true culprit, EA. If EA provided a world-building tool, it would alleviate some of the crossover players for these types of packs. Moreover, if there were toggles in the game, there would be no issue whatsoever.
    I will fill you in:

Alien visits
    Fires
    Vampire visits/attacks
    Weather related deaths

I think there’s more but, I get so frustrated when I talk about this stuff I forget. But yes, they give a feature to introduce random happenstance into the game. A vocal minority complains loudly and then quietly in a patch unannounced in the patch notes they drop the occurrences of these features to the point where the barely exist. Features that were in fact advertised elements of the game/pack that people paid money for because they wanted those features. So now the only time something “random” ever happens in your game is if you work very very hard to absolutely force it to happen.

Please see my previous response. You're blaming the wrong people.

Plus:
    • How do you know that the players who prefer more realistic gameplay are in the minority?
    • Also, why do random events in the game necessarily have to be tied to something supernatural? I would like more random events in the game, too. (Perhaps that would make me want to actually play it, rather than taking interesting pictures.)

Unfortunately, EA seems to have the same mindset as in my latter point. A lot of their effort is obviously put into occults. Yet, a lot of realistic players don't want the happy-happy, joy-joy that we are being accused of either.

Random events can happen in a myriad of ways that don't need to be related to the supernatural. Unexpected pregnancies than can add to the adoption pool and deepen the stories in the different Sim communities; a random nemesis; a random relative that comes knocking at the door; more career opportunities that have real consequences such as demotion or dismissal; a surprising rent hike that would force a Sim to take make more income or they will have to move; a troublesome boss who keeps giving players random tasks to complete and extra hours on the job which causes a Sim to work harder, quit, or start their own competitive business...

EA could have added anything that would add some surprise and challenge for players as a whole.

As well, toggles should have been a mainstay of the game from the very beginning. They should have been a consideration when developing the engine, not as an afterthought. Especially since the only way to get certain elements into our games also means having to say yes to Aliens, Vampires, Mermaids, Witches, and whatever EA happens to dream up next.

The problem is not the players, the problem lies with the EA suits who make all of these alienating decisions.
    Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I think the players ok with the premade spellcasters are confusing game features with game mechanics. The game has to fill the magic realm with spellcasters---feature. The game does not have to create spellcasters from existing premade sims--- bugged mechanic.

Nothing about that is random or unique, it's actually the opposite. Why on earth would it be a feature to have any pre-established sim show up in this "secret" dimension. It's one thing to make those characters magical through gameplay but the player doesn't even get to experience it with them. I could understand it if these sims found their way to Glimmerbrook and snuck through the portal and went about the process to become magical but instead it's like hey you're here too... and 4 levels above me. It would also make more since if there was a new trait that would make a regular sim seek out magical things. That way you could give that trait to any unplayed premades and they'd show up in the magical realm.

I just think there should be more purpose and exclusivity to the spellcasters otherwise there's no point to having this seperate world. If this is an intended feature it makes magic more akin to a situational skill as opposed to being an exclusice feature for the spellcaster lifestate.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member

09-10-19-4-37-44-PM.png

Thanks! I have that mod installed but i'm still getting random spellcasters, but I actually quite like it, as long as I'm not over run by them it's quite fun and makes sense my sims wouldn't be the only ones.

Random generated spellcasters are by desing.. I didn't touch that part in the mod, the venue requires those otherwise it would be empty. Still, if you have enough mages the game will stop generating them (around 12 are enough)
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I have a side save in which I am currently designing my own spellcaster townies. When I am done with one I mark them as unplayed. When I make a brand new spellcaster I run into my earlier creations in the realm. Trying to get a feeling for how many townies I need.

I really like this feature of only spellcasters coming to the realm. It is possible to go to the gallery and download a few spellcaster if one doesn’t like to make them by yourself.

09-10-19-4-37-44-PM.png

Random generated spellcasters are by desing.. I didn't touch that part in the mod, the venue requires those otherwise it would be empty. Still, if you have enough mages the game will stop generating them (around 12 are enough)

Sorry I meant that the game is still randomly turning premades into spellcasters. I delete all the random sims in household management anyway