Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creative Critiques of RoM

I wanna mention my issues but I'm not trying to be rude to the devs I've played what 11 hours last night? So it's not that I don't like RoM I love it! I am never being any other Occult again <3. But I want to bring up a few nicely worded criticisms.

Reading: Can't we maybe add levitating books to any book we read? If it's too hard to program then okay just thought I'd ask...

Why No trait that allows us Occult fans add witchcraft to any lot? Vampire Nexus summons vampires why not one to let Casters treat that lot as Realm of Magic..?

If you move in a Sage it is mechanically impossible for them to complete the Potion Aspiration as that Aspiration literally requires learning a potion Sages know all 15 potions automatically.

Why is Morgyn the only Sage from the Gameplay Reveal Trailer? That Mischief lady looks friggen AWESOME. I don't wanna be rude.. But it's kinda false advertising to showcase three 'leaders' from a trailer and only one of them is in game...

Maybe a moodlet to your sim if you give a failed potion? I thought I killed Morgyn by giving him a broken immortality potion bonus points for it being sample and not one I made!

Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players

Comments

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    @WolfNate So can some books levitate? I didn't know any could?
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2019
    @Simanite yes Tomes can I think :)

My constructive criticism would be something to do with the practical cleaning spell: I wish I could use it to clean out the litterbox or magically clean laundry! Maybe I'm being too demanding but it would be awesome if it could clean anything dirty, regardless of the mechanics required to do it (again, maybe that's a little too much).

And the other one would be a super duper minor thing but I had really hoped to see the mirror from Supernatural make a return :D I loved that mirror haha. It's not all that important, but I did notice it!.

Finally, I think there's a bug that makes my sims be bombarded by new neighbor visits (each time with that darn fruitcake), except the "Invite Neighbors In" option isn't there and I can't ask them to leave. They disappear when I travel away from the lot and back, but they also came back. And they stay even if they get dirty and pee themselves. Good thing is I've been using them to practice the Scruberoo spell!
  • RealTeacherPlaysRealTeacherPlays Posts: 40 Member
    I like it so far... it's perfect for storytelling... and the build mode items are pretty
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,017 Member
    I feel like spellcasters should have to put more effort into becoming skilled. You get everything too easily. Right now, they can just wave their hands around for an hour to learn new spells, or experiment at a cauldron to learn and get a potion. There's little incentive to use Tomes, especially since you can't easily control which ones shopkeepers have. If we had a lot more spells and potions, this wouldn't be much of a problem - you'd still have a ton of stuff to explore. A lot of the spells are fun to play with, but I feel like what we got only scratches the surface. Which is what I expected out of Sims 4, but still.

Also, why isn't dueling a club activity? I want to see magic duels between good and evil magicians.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    edited September 2019
    Gordy wrote: »
    I feel like spellcasters should have to put more effort into becoming skilled. You get everything too easily. Right now, they can just wave their hands around for an hour to learn new spells, or experiment at a cauldron to learn and get a potion. There's little incentive to use Tomes, especially since you can't easily control which ones shopkeepers have. If we had a lot more spells and potions, this wouldn't be much of a problem - you'd still have a ton of stuff to explore. A lot of the spells are fun to play with, but I feel like what we got only scratches the surface. Which is what I expected out of Sims 4, but still.

Also, why isn't dueling a club activity? I want to see magic duels between good and evil magicians.

Hmmm my sim's been experimenting at the cauldron for ages without learning anything? Maybe they're too dumb - or is it a bug? :sweat_smile: Cause so far, they ain't learned too many spells. The Sages refuse teaching them any most of the time, there are no good tomes, and experimenting doesn't seem to teach them much xD
  • ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    My sim doesn’t learn a single potion from the cauldron either. Maybe she is dumb lol
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,017 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Hmmm my sim's been experimenting at the cauldron for ages without learning anything? Maybe they're too dumb - or is it a bug? :sweat_smile: Cause so far, they ain't learned too many spells. The Sages refuse teaching them any most of the time, there are no good tomes, and experimenting doesn't seem to teach them much xD
    I think experimenting depends on the sim or RNG. My potioneer sim takes a while to learn from the cauldron, while her classmate just picked up a spoon and learned a potion in about an hour.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    edited September 2019
    Gordy wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I think experimenting depends on the sim or RNG. My potioneer sim takes a while to learn from the cauldron, while her classmate just picked up a spoon and learned a potion in about an hour.

Ah interesting - is this intentional? I'll have her daughter try her luck, maybe her lightbulb's brighter than her mother's?
    I've got another thing I would have liked to see: new magical holiday options. Like it would be cool to make a holiday for magical duelling or mischief magic night :D I think the mischief thing can be done, but I'd still have loved some uniquely magical choices :)
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited September 2019
    Mine would be, more variety down the line, I implore them to think about making updates to seasons, pets, vampires, Jungle Adventure, mermaids, that add a couple of tomes for alchemy Practical, Mischief, and Untamed from other packs. Something spell casters can do to add more magic.

Like a Tome of Weather Control- basically turns the spell caster into a living Dr June’s weather Machine.

Tome of Vampirism, turns sim into a vampire

Tome of Doggos & Cattos, turn sims into dogs and Cats

I feel like there should be more as the sims 4 continues it shouldn’t end here, this is just the beginning for magic.

Like if a Farming GP comes a long I expect tomes to turn sims into farm animals

And werewolves tomes to control lunar phases
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    The biggest issue I have is why are the Sages not from trailer how hard is it?!
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited September 2019
    Hmm...

I would very much like to lvl up slower, or just stop lvl:ing at all in the magical skill.

Trying to tell the story of a family that slowly gets more into magic, it is difficult when you play on the long setting and you can't stop lvl:ing if you use magic. Not all stories or fun revolve around getting better all the time. I just want my sim to be a low-lvl spellcaster and do some potions on the side.

For inspiration: Lock Skill Gain Progress - Make Sims Your Own by Triplis

https://triplis.github.io/mods/lock-skills.html
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I really love the pack and am enjoying it very much, so the following critiques should be taken as improvements to make it perfect rather than hate.

1) I understand the decision to not be able to use magic on children but Scruberoo should be an exception! Ditto pets.

2) It's a bit too easy to level up and everything is handed to you as you go. Being handed a potion every time you learn it is just silly. I have hundreds of potions without ever having to make a single one. - learn potion, cast repairio on it to make it excellent, copypasta for infinite potions without ever having to find an ingredient.

3) Speaking of Copypasta.. is being able to replicate perfect Money Trees intended?

4) Build/buy swatches. Swatches not quite matching. Odd things like the moon glass square windows having brown trim but the round version has white. This pack is definitely an improvement in this aspect but there's room to pay more attention to detail.
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    edited September 2019
    I was wishing for a special duel/fight between vampires and spellcasters ;(
    And decrease in the easiness of levelling up!
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/