Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

StrangerVille or Realm of Magic? (No Spoilers Please)

rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
Both StrangerVille and Realm of Magic are my two favorite game packs, but if I had to chose one, I personally like Realm of Magic the best because of the fantasy elements introduced. I like the worlds which will be useful for storytelling, and I have said it many times already, I love that phoenix! So, out of StrangerVille and Realm of Magic, which game pack do you like the best?

Please avoid any game spoilers for those who have not yet completed StrangerVille or have discovered everything about Realm of Magic.
Post edited by rjssim on

StrangerVille or Realm of Magic? (No Spoilers Please) 112 votes

StrangerVille
21%
Frn0731Colorist40simlish1scoedalanmichael1mlmeadowsdavidsaraKhrisstyneelelunicyBabykittyjadeChampandGirlieetoniaFelicity1169EnkiSchmidtcomicsforlifeChazzzyhappyopilogionSERVERFRARobinGreenthumb 24 votes
Realm of Magic
78%
Akl500PGoldmoldaricmnfrshJeanbrackencat31DerellaKita5399EuphorialQueenIcewolfLaBlue0314bandit5lakireCabelle1863sillehbeeWrenryAyradyssoveronPlayerSinger2010KariussaStrangerthan 88 votes

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Realm of Magic
    But I would suggest if someone is debating on which one of these two to buy at the moment I would suggest StrangerVille. Realms of Magic is having some serious crashing issues when one is trying to do something with a Spellcaster in CAS.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2019
    Realm of Magic
    I get much more out if the vampires GP than StrangerVille and since ROM is very similar to Vampires I’m going for ROM. It adds a lot of gameplay if you play occults often but once you’ve finished the StrangerVille mystery there’s not really any more gameplay.
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Realm of Magic
    Between the two, ROM for its open ended feeling for storytelling and the spells that helps lend to the feel that you’re customizing your Spell Caster.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Realm of Magic
    Honestly ROM is more in my wheelhouse than strangerville. It’s so much more open ended and customizable. Although I like strangerville I can’t say it’s one of my favorite packs because it was kind of a one and done for me. I feel like I will have spellcasters all the time, even as a typically more realistic player, because there is so many ways to play them out.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I only have Strangerville so can't vote. I think I would prefer ROM though.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Realm of Magic
    I enjoy both, but it's really no contest. Realm of Magic wins easily.
  • kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    I get much more out if the vampires GP than StrangerVille and since ROM is very similar to Vampires I’m going for ROM. It adds a lot of gameplay if you play occults often but once you’ve finished the StrangerVille mystery there’s not really any more gameplay.

I have yet to purchase ROM.. Waiting until pay day LOL.. But Vampires is my fav GP. I very much enjoyed solving the mystery of Strangerville but after initial gameplay I lost interest as the world and townies are not 'full' enough for me. I love Vampires, it has cool townies, amazing build/buy objects and the terrain is different enough to keep things fresh.
    From what I have seen, and read in the forums, I think I will love ROM <3
    rnKEhBT.png
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    StrangerVille
    Remains to be seen...I had really fun with Strangerville because I played it with Sacrificials Zombie mod. The setting was just perfect.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Realm of Magic
    Strangerville was fun, and I usually play through it at least once per save now, but once the mystery is over there isn't much reason to go there if your sim doesn't live there (although my military sims seem to end up hanging out at the 8 bells anyway - it is a pretty nice dive bar.)

I do like the build/buy elements, though. And a lot of the CAS assets.

I'm still figuring out RoM, but I feel the gameplay has longer usability than Strangerville.

I love both, don't get me wrong. Don't regret getting Strangerville for a second. But I'm having more fun with RoM
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited September 2019
    StrangerVille
    I don't have RoM yet and if I get it, I will do so later. I did actually really like StrangerVille and I actually will keep the settings and pre-mades in my game. I'm more of a realism player though so I actually like that I could come up with a mostly realistic explanation of the events and that I could turn the town into a normal part of my rotation after. I can see an interesting dynamic between the various households and any new sims. There's a "culture clash" in the town that I'll get into.

My StrangerVille hero married a military sim who was with her until the end of the mystery. I thought about having them move out but the setting really is great for the military. I have said that I think that military sims may have to do a certain amount of moving around and to the extent possible, military sims will be expected to live in StrangerVille at first depending on how long they are stationed there.

I wish that the town had a few more lots but that sounds like the case for RoM too. I wasn't planning on getting RoM right away and I'll way until any bugs are under control. It's the sort of thing where I might be willing to have one or two spellcasters because I can be open-minded but it isn't really my play-style. If it had a more involved world, that would draw me more. I'll probably get it ... later.
    Post edited by ChampandGirlie on
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    StrangerVille
    I vote to be contrary as usual but also I really like Strangerville, the town is bigger and easier to repurpose, I *love* the Strangerville premades, and the military career, the paranoid trait and the sweet windows and doors are more useful in regular gameplay.

I love spellcasters aswell but once I'm done playing my test save, I'll have maybe one or two in my main save and never visit Glimmerbrook.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2019
    Realm of Magic
    Oh gosh, no contest, Realm of Magic (for me). I enjoyed Strangerville, but supernatural stuff will always win over sci-fi for me any day. Plus, RoM doesn't have annoying FX buildings in the background, so I can make Glimmerbrook look like any time period I want. In addition to the supernatural draw, the Vampire GP and RoM GP are huge draws for me because their worlds, though small, don't have irritating FX that ruins immersion if you're not playing in a modern setting.

I like Strangerville, though, just not as rabidly as I like RoM. ;) lol
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Realm of Magic
    Realm of Magic, of course. You're allowed to avoid the spellcasters if you want to, unlike the stupid, zombie-sims or whatever they are while they're being controlled by Audrey II.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Realm of Magic
    I'm a big Strangerville fan, but have been waiting to make witches forever... so it's bumped Strangerville down to secondplace as I expected. I'm sure as time goes on I'll use the worlds equally. Witches is the pack for me that vampires was to so many.
    egTcBMc.png
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    StrangerVille
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    But I would suggest if someone is debating on which one of these two to buy at the moment I would suggest StrangerVille. Realms of Magic is having some serious crashing issues when one is trying to do something with a Spellcaster in CAS.

This is why I voted Strangerville. My game crashed again last night editing a sim, because apparently although I saved while zoomed on the face to prevent animations... when you save it zooms out and in that .01 second the animation started playing, crashing my game 😭😩

Once the bugs are fixed, 100% going to enjoy RoM more. But until then the glitches are effecting my enjoyment.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited September 2019
    Realm of Magic
    Spoilers? Except for Strange which is literally (the weirdest) GP ever and gives us only an aspiration as the only new mechanic which is a plot based on there isn't really spoilers regarding Magic it's just gameplay not a story. I don't get people who get annoyed at gameplay 'spoilers'. Yes me telling you that Familiars talk to you and are fairly hilarious is ruining the experience of your enjoyment.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • VyStarlitVyStarlit Posts: 74 Member
    Realm of Magic
    ROM for me. I really like Strangerville questline and it was really fun, but there didn't seem to be any additional playability after it ended. ROM has lots of things to do though from what I can see no questline. I wish there was a GP that was a combination of both. A questline and then lots of playability after the questline was over would be awesome.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    StrangerVille
    StrangerVille has the better world in my opinion.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Realm of Magic
    RoM of course. It's just :love:

However, Strangerville is a really really nice pack that I'm gonna keep defending because I've had tons of fun with it :D
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    StrangerVille
    I love both, but Strangerville is a must-have.
    Realm of Magic
    SimTrippy wrote: »

However, Strangerville is a really really nice pack that I'm gonna keep defending because I've had tons of fun with it :D

But don't you think a GP exclusively focused on an Aspiration a little bland?
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    edited September 2019
    Realm of Magic
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Spoilers? Except for Strange which is literally (the weirdest) GP ever and gives us only an aspiration as the only new mechanic which is a plot based on there isn't really spoilers regarding Magic it's just gameplay not a story. I don't get people who get annoyed at gameplay 'spoilers'. Yes me telling you that Familiars talk to you and are fairly hilarious is ruining the experience of your enjoyment.

Because people like to discover things by themselves? It's super fun when something happens to you in-game and you're like "hey I had no idea this was possible". That's why people avoid "gameplay spoilers" ;)
    WolfNate wrote: »

But don't you think a GP exclusively focused on an Aspiration a little bland?

It's not just focused on an aspiration. You can perfectly mold the little mystery to your own story, because you don't need the aspiration to play it at all. And I <3 the military, think the world is great, have played through the mystery twice, and generally just enjoy the feel of the pack quite a bit. To each their own ;)
    Realm of Magic
    I don't have RoM yet and if I get it, I will do so later. I did actually really like StrangerVille and I actually will keep the settings and pre-mades in my game. I'm more of a realism player though so I actually like that I could come up with a mostly realistic explanation of the events and that I could turn the town into a normal part of my rotation after. I can see an interesting dynamic between the various households and any new sims. There's a "culture clash" in the town that I'll get into.

My StrangerVille hero married a military sim who was with her until the end of the mystery. I thought about having them move out but the setting really is great for the military. I have said that I think that military sims may have to do a certain amount of moving around and to the extent possible, military sims will be expected to live in StrangerVille at first depending on how long they are stationed there.

I wish that the town had a few more lots but that sounds like the case for RoM too. I wasn't planning on getting RoM right away and I'll way until any bugs are under control. It's the sort of thing where I might be willing to have one or two spellcasters because I can be open-minded but it isn't really my play-style. If it had a more involved world, that would draw me more. I'll probably get it ... later.

Realistic explanation????
    Since when does a homicidal evil brainwashing plant heck bent on world conquest have a realistic explanation?!
    Realm of Magic
    @WolfNate I feel like we're veering a bit off topic here ;) Listen, everyone has their own tastes and playstyles and preferences. You really just have to accept it & move on I guess, because the simmers that like Strangerville won't like it any less just because you don't. And vice-versa :)
    Realm of Magic
    @WolfNate I feel like we're veering a bit off topic here ;) Listen, everyone has their own tastes and playstyles and preferences. You really just have to accept it & move on I guess, because the simmers that like Strangerville won't like it any less just because you don't. And vice-versa :)

I'm not dissing people who do enjoy not really into Stranger Things but just expressing an opinion based on what I know that an Aspiration is the 'main mechanic' introduced in Stranger.