Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular Opinions (The Sims 3)

Comments

• emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    @cwaddell Sorry to hear about your ankle. :cry: Infections can become very awful (my MIL had a recent, horrible experience with one. :( ) so I'm glad you were able to get it treated with limited antibiotics. With her she had to get antibiotic injections for 6 weeks after her infection, it was that bad. :( I hope it heals up very soon. <3

Thank you for showing a visual of what you do because I can better understand with visuals. ;)
    That is brilliant! :star: Seriously, I may have to start rearranging my sim kitchens like that. Because my sims have had many collisions in the kitchen and it was annoying. :confounded:

This is my favorite set up. :)

2Fxo5Es.jpg

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. :blush:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @ZeeGee - I won't even start on those 'personalities' :D!

@cwaddell - I wish you a speedy recovery on your ankle. Trust me, I know first-hand how awkward things can become when feet, ankles and legs get affected.
  • BlueberriBlueberri Posts: 37 Member
    @meerkattime I know you posted this long ago, but I agree! Smaller houses feel a lot cozier. Plus, I often feel overwhelmed by bigger houses. It's like, "Oh, Chloe's making drinks. Okay. Upstairs? No, Max is upstairs. Where the heck is Chloe then?" I can't ever find my sims unless I click on the Go To Sim button on the side. It's not that big of a deal, but it still overwhelms me. Dx
    ⇾ ѕιмѕ 3 jυnĸιe ⇽
    tumblr_inline_n79fruZjz71scrulr.gif
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    coco wrote: »
    emorrill wrote: »
    I've never been the biggest fan of the Goths. :neutral:

Please no one kill me for that... :(

;)

I certainly love seeing other's admiration for them and the stories they write about them, but I don't personally go right over to play them.

I think I played with premades the least in TS3. I guess it was always more exciting to create my own sims thanks to the great improvements in CAS. They always felt like background characters to me, so while I like to hear about their stories and personalities they were never the main focus for me.

Hmm it's getting hard to think of unpopular opinions.

I'd say that I never got into some skills such as gardening and fishing. I was probably just lazy because I couldn't be bothered to remember what fertilisers and bait were needed :lol:

I never bothered with the fishing skill and I never actually had Sims work on any musical instruments. Not sure why but I just never got around to it lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    mw1525 wrote: »
    I've never understood why some Simmers like to harm their Sims. And, I understand even less why they like to boast about doing it.
    Anyhow, here's my very Unpopular Opinion: The Sims actually show intelligence. Not necessarily 'smart' but intelligent.

I have not harmed a Sim since TS1. Even then I was not that bad although I did have fun building a hedge around a house and managing to set it on fire. The fire took the whole hedge out within about a day and a half!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Unpopular opinion: I don't like creating my own Sims. I prefer playing with premades and focus on their stories(that's probably why I don't care TS4).
    When I create my own Sims they usually turn out too "perfect" or polished and I find that unrealistic.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @cwaddell I am sorry to read about your ankle. I hope the infection clears up soon.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Unpopular opinion #1: I don't hate paparazzi in the game. I find them funny. There are some other things about the celebrity system I find annoying, but the paparazzi are just mildly amusing.
    Unpopular opinion #2: I don't care at all about any version of the Sims being "challenging" or "hard". I understand that games have to be challenging in order for the player to enjoy them, but I guess I judge the Sims as I would judge a book or movie, not as I would judge a typical game: in terms of "interesting" and "uninteresting", not "easy" and "hard".
    Unpopular opinion #3 and I promise to stop now :smiley: taking care of the Sims' needs is the most boring part of the game for me, and I wouldn't miss it if it was removed.
    I am also lazy with kitchens. I grew up in a house with a small kitchen so I expect my Sims to manage as well.

Furnishing a kitchen is actually one thing I was never keen on. Forget about something modern and flash from me!

70801812_10156572705041497_1156445971949813760_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQl9D-GU1hh0zcdzqxkL53DYyQIb8fiqcAc882NxEuJVgfiWw8w5-dQOM3lzWfFr0rjzZ2gx_RwTJeGT6CW2uHtF&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=6187b45238e54e7a15c9a381695c538a&oe=5E046507

69823721_10156572705371497_3265308393555886080_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQmGnu0qDenQqSVa-otgrXEbA0E-eOU8uaUcA7tLoxTTJc6-9X9ebK16OKidEYyaT56xPu2h43zQ5Z4ESM7YenaU&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=0d5708e1420843adee3a1c7ba69e2b26&oe=5DF5E9B8
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited September 2019
    @king_of_simcity7 - Killing Sims (or harming them) is a playstyle or event choice (no judgement) :). For me, since I live in a world with a vast global history of horrible human to human atrocities, where murder has become common place and the concern for helping people improve their lives by eliminating or alleviating some human inflicted sufferings is becoming more and more disconnected; I can't imagine mirroring that in their world. I'm not on a moral/ethical soapbox, but living in a world where the effect of these events are seen and felt every day and everywhere, I find absolutely nothing entertaining, funny or the likes about wicked, cruel or brutal acts inflicted upon Sims.

@PalmArrow - (I awesomed you) - I don't dislike the paparazzi either. I have my celebrity Sims talk with them (after all, they're just doing their job). I do absolutely hate the part of the celebrity system which creates slanderous rumors. The friendship loss penalty is too high for the event no matter what was said.

Concerning their needs, I don't mind that so much because it's a part of life. If I had a dime for all the times when I was bone tired and had to choose between eating or sleeping, or bathing or sleeping, I'd have a good portion of the world's dimes :D! I fill my Sims needs based upon what they have to do and not what their meter says. If I know my Sim is going to have to do a task which will take up a good portion of their day; off to the bathroom they go before they start. I also use LTRs like 'Steel Bladder' and the likes for my Military Sims who have to go out on 'missions', I consider this as a 'learned technique' rather than a perk ;).

@emorill - There are several tricks I use when designing the layout of my Sim's home. One is the two space technique. This is where two spaces or 'a passing lane' (if you will) is used for rooms. I also consider how a Sim moves as routing will always direct them to the 'nearest' object. Lastly, I always keep in mind 'social' spaces because a Sim will stop to talk at any time, anywhere :D! Anyhow, I broke into...er...stopped by to check on one of my Sim's home while he's away on a case and thought I'd take a few pictures as examples while there:

Kitchen:
    Food from the fridge gets prepared on the counter to it side. Food cooked on the stove is placed on the left or right counter. Food prepared in the processor (such as salad) is placed to the left and Microwave food is placed on the kitchen cart.
    poqd4nl8453xx0d6g.jpg

Living Room:
    The furniture is placed in such a way to prevent bottlenecks and route failures. You'll notice the only furniture on the rug is the tables. The love seat is moved back to allow a 'passing lane', while the end tables create a single exit for the game to calculate routing. Sims sitting in either chair can exit to the left or the right of that chair unless there is a Sim leaving the loveseat in the way. In that case, the game can only route them to the unused path. Sims leaving the loveseat can only exit to the left or the right of the end tables.
    3brp7w3b0jmpmf26g.jpg

Front Porch:
    Two spaces makes it possible for Sims to greet their visitors on the porch instead of walking back down to the ground. Plus, they can visit outside if they like.
    81o330h5eokxn0t6g.jpg

Car Spaces:
    Sims come to visit from all directions so, I keep cars moved back to allow for foot traffic. This has been most useful when throwing parties ;)!
    excib41ocpx1c796g.jpg
    mw1525 wrote: »

@PalmArrow - (I awesomed you) - I don't dislike the paparazzi either. I have my celebrity Sims talk with them (after all, they're just doing their job). I do absolutely hate the part of the celebrity system which creates slanderous rumors. The friendship loss penalty is too high for the event no matter what was said.

@mw1525 , yes, exactly, the friendship loss penalty for celebrity disgrace is terrible, especially if the sim is working in a job where they need good relationships with coworkers in order to be promoted!
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    If you have a family of celebrities and all of them get slanderous rumors in close succession, they suddenly all hate each other. I got rid of that nonsense. I still have paparazzi though, although the game went overboard in my current city (I think there are about 20, although the limit in register says 3).
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited September 2019
    Unpopular Opinion: It seems to me, my unpopular opinion is Sims aren't real. They're just like a story I wrote and didn't like so I toss it; or a picture I drew and didn't like, then tossed it.
    If they were real to me I wouldn't be able to throw away any neighborhood I made with my Sims.
    I guess, since I live in a world full of Awesome people with only a fringe of rotten people. Maybe that's why I can kill a Sim and not worry about the real world blowing up.

Also - I'm not a Sim God. Since they don't really see me nor can I really Make them, I'm just a player and can restart a game.

Another unpopular opinion... I like "Ugly" Sims. I see so many beautiful Sims made and I like them and have made a few but I also lose interest in the pretty Sims. I love ugly Sims with Awesome personalities and sad failures. :heart:
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited September 2019
    I prefer to make sure of my sims’ fealty to one another so I tend to keep sims who I want to stay together within the family circle (within my control).

I also end up tuning out flirting with MC Story Progression. I don’t play soap opera story-lines. I got all the drama I ever wanted back in the Cretaceous; when I was in high school.

I play a lot of guy-oriented (I am a guy). storylines i’m partial to war and apocalyptic stories with adult-oriented gameplay. And I find there is a lack of good make oriented gameplay cc.

Those may be unpopular opinions to others. :D

Also. I cannot leave River looking like she usually does as EA devs left her (poor girl). When I get a hold of her in my games she usually ends up looking like this: Screenshot-103.jpg

I’m quite sure that most roll their eyes and go...AGAIN?!!! :D
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    @Rflong7 - I don't think your opinion is unpopular at all. In fact, I've heard it echoed more than a few times on these very forums. Sims aren't real. Sim's are just computer code. Sims are just a game. They don't feel, can't see, don't care. Present any sort of problem and I guarantee there will be at least one Simmer who will show up and type some variation of those statements.

I do agree about the Unattractive Sims. I prefer personality as well.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    @mw1525 wrote: »
    Rflong7 - I don't think your opinion is unpopular at all. In fact, I've heard it echoed more than a few times on these very forums. Sims aren't real. Sim's are just computer code. Sims are just a game. They don't feel, can't see, don't care. Present any sort of problem and I guarantee there will be at least one Simmer who will show up and type some variation of those statements.

I do agree about the Unattractive Sims. I prefer personality as well.

Sure, there will always be a group who think nearly a like and echo the same sentiments. Seems to me my opinion was less popular here, is what I felt. :)

• ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Unpopular opinion #2
    I don't like playing with just one Sim at the time. I just can't do it. I need at least 3 Sims to keep me entertained.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @ItsJanier I agree! When I have only two sims I am itching for them to start a family and am not really happy until the household is full :)
    @ItsJanier - I agree. Playing with a single Sim is very difficult for me as well. The house just feels empty and actions feel like 'routines'.
    I had to scroll up to see your 1st 'unpopular opinion'. I like creating my own Sims, I try to balance looks with personality and/or lifestyle. But, I'm also highly invested in the lives of the townies of every town I play in. With them, I'm usually adjusting traits or placing them in different jobs.
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    Another unpopular opinion: I don´t like WA.
    I always readily use the objects and the skills which came with it, but I find it boring to explore a tomb. And I think the worlds which came with it are somehow nice, but boring as hell.
    And I don´t like to solve the tasks, which you have to do in order to get a hint. If I visit a tomb, I cheat my way to the treasures. In every possible way. :D
    I really don´t like the game telling me or restricting me in MY way to play MY Sims. (This is one of the reasons, I don´t like to play Sims 2 and Sims 4: too much restrictions, too many tasks to do in order to get a reward. There is always something which hinders me just to play my game! I´m not playing The Sims to solve tasks, I´m playing to relax!)
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

@ItsJanier Had to awesome your number 2. I like having several sims to control. I'm totally bored with just one. Even when I started a rags to riches with an attempt at a legacy family, I started with a guy and his dog so I could play the dog too when the guy was busy. lol

@Rflong7 I do get attached to my created sims so they are hard to toss away. I have several porter files with saved families awaiting the day I can get a new puter that will let me put all my stuff back in the game. :lol: Do I have some throw aways. Yep, not all families were lovable...some were quite boring. :smiley:
    I'm not good at making beautiful sims. I get those from @CravenLestat :tongue: My self made sims I consider interesting, but not beautiful. I do love their personalities and that is why I get attached to them.

@AlexaKry hehe, I love WA so can't give you an awesome. I played every tomb straight at least once when I first got the world. After that...I use them in my stories so I do what I need to do for the story and don't consider it cheating. :lol:

I dunno if this is unpopular or not. I would have quit Sims 3 back in 2014 if I had not started using the Nraas mods to allow me to play the game I wanted to play. Those mods made all the difference in the world to me for allowing me to play the game my way.

unpopular opinion I do try to give my sims varied traits, but, I don't do evil or mean type traits, because this game is a way to relax for me and there is enough bad in real life I don't need it in the game.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top