Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it worth buying ROM?!

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited September 2019
    muzickmage wrote: »
    So yea, I would like to see some gameplay videos showing how people are experiencing everything so quickly in respect to long-term gameplay. (not short-term.... lets play to death, conquer, and complete just this new DLC neighborhoood as quickly as possible so I can label it as no good and overpriced, etc, etc.)

what difference does it make though

All playstyles are valid, not just the way that you play. People should therefore be expected to have an opinion that revolves around their own playstyle. There's nothing wrong with that. Going through the content quickly or slowly does nothing to affect "replayability" as some call it. Holding yourself back doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find the experience any more enjoyable by the time you finish than someone that rushed through it.

When I get a new pack, I do like to blast through in the first few days. I like to know all the little details and intricacies, and when they add new systems to the game, I like to know how difficult they are or what sort of time-frame is required to progress through them. Then I take what I've discovered and keep it in mind when I'm replaying the content in the future. I do this with pretty much every pack, yet there are still features that I could say I have not grown bored of yet as well as ones that I could say I have. It's completely irrelevant.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2019
    Cupid wrote: »
    So yea, I would like to see some gameplay videos showing how people are experiencing everything so quickly in respect to long-term gameplay. (not short-term.... lets play to death, conquer, and complete just this new DLC neighborhoood as quickly as possible so I can label it as no good and overpriced, etc, etc.)

All playstyles are valid, not just the way that you play. People should therefore be expected to have an opinion that revolves around their own playstyle. There's nothing wrong with that. Going through the content quickly or slowly does nothing to affect "replayability" as some call it. Holding yourself back doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find it any more interesting by the time you finish than someone that rushed through it.

When I get a new pack, I do like to blast through in the first few days. I like to know all the little details and intricacies, and when they add new systems to the game, I like to know how difficult they are or what sort of time-frame is required to progress through them. Then I take what I've discovered and keep it in mind when I'm replaying the content in the future. I do this with pretty much every pack, yet there are still features that I could say I have not grown bored of yet as well as ones that I could say I have. It's completely irrelevant.

It does matter and does make a difference. Because whenever someone says it's all so fast to get through, thats very relative and not the experience i think most regular players will have when experiencing this pack, so Im sure thats why it was brought up.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    It depends on you and if it is worth the money to you. I'd take into consideration what you want from a magic pack, what is being offered, and go from there. Me, it didn't meet what I want, so I'm not buying it full price. I'll wait until probably half off and get it then, because that's what I'm willing to spend on it. You could watch some gameplay so that you can be sure what you want either way, and you can learn more before you buy it.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    I finally got each of my 5 sims to learn from the 3 sages, including activating alchemy. So all 5 now are at the beginning of their magic journey. Plus I visited the shops a few times to get some stuff. I still need some brooms, wands, and familiars. I have 7 familiars purchased so far. I think there's 11.

I went through the .... request training.... idea a couple times, but that's it. I haven't tried dueling yet, or played around with the cauldron or potions. They're on my list of things to do.

My next play will be to build an alter room in my basement. Wish me luck lol.

All playstyles are valid, not just the way that you play. People should therefore be expected to have an opinion that revolves around their own playstyle. There's nothing wrong with that. Going through the content quickly or slowly does nothing to affect "replayability" as some call it. Holding yourself back doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find the experience any more enjoyable by the time you finish than someone that rushed through it.

Creating a new profile just to conquer and complete a new DLC neighborhood in under 2 hours, is not my definition of "gameplay", let alone valid. And such feedback based on a lack of testing against long-term profiles is misleading for those looking for an honest opinion as to whether or not this pack (or any other) is worth the money vs gameplay value.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    @LaBlue0314 @muzickmage

As somone who cheated to give my sim 500 thousand simoleons to not worry about dodah besides needs and aspirations I can tell you been playing 20 hours and I do not have everything. I have most of everything sure but it didn't take me 7 hours. I only cheat with motherlode (and just recently liveeditmode cuz gosh dang it I couldn't find a stinking vield!) As someone who spent all day exclusively as a Caster not having a job I can honestly tell you it takes awhile I don't know what everyone who says it's boring and you rank up to max too easily...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    edited September 2019
    Simmify wrote: »

All playstyles are valid, not just the way that you play. People should therefore be expected to have an opinion that revolves around their own playstyle. There's nothing wrong with that. Going through the content quickly or slowly does nothing to affect "replayability" as some call it. Holding yourself back doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find it any more interesting by the time you finish than someone that rushed through it.

It does matter and does make a difference. Because whenever someone says it's all so fast to get through, thats very relative and not the experience i think most regular players will have when experiencing this pack, so Im sure thats why it was brought up.

All opinions are relative, not just mine. Go figure. We aren't required to reformulate our perspectives so that our opinions are applicable to the masses. That'd be a very unreliable way of getting opinions.

Though, to be honest, what I said wasn't an opinion- It was just me confirming my experience that it's possible to completely progress through the lifestate in a few hours, with moderate effort. I didn't say whether or not that was a bad or good thing. I leave that to the opinion of whoever reads it, but that was my experience and that's why I said it. Someone who plays in a similar manner might care about that, and someone who doesn't might not.

Creating a new profile just to conquer and complete a new DLC neighborhood in under 2 hours,

Where are you getting this from?... I played the same household I've been playing since 2015, in the same save that I had been playing before the pack came out.
    And such feedback based on a lack of testing against long-term profiles is misleading for those looking for an honest opinion as to whether or not this pack (or any other) is worth the money vs gameplay value.

Since the "such feedback" you're referring to is a product of your own imagination, I could disregard this portion of the reply, but I'll entertain it regardless. Me sharing my experience isn't "misleading." I maxed out my spellcaster last night in two and a half hours. I didn't say whether or not that was a good or bad thing, I left the reader to come up with their own opinion of that. I even mentioned that I might have been going at it with more fervor than the average player might. There was no attempt to "mislead" anyone.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited September 2019
    Simmify wrote: »

All opinions are relative, not just mine. Go figure. We aren't required to reformulate our perspectives so that our opinions are applicable to the masses. That'd be a very unreliable way of getting opinions.

Though, to be honest, what I said wasn't an opinion- It was just me confirming my experience that it's possible to completely progress through the lifestate in a few hours, with moderate effort. I didn't say whether or not that was a bad or good thing. I leave that to the opinion of whoever reads it, but that was my experience and that's why I said it. Someone who plays in a similar manner might care about that, and someone who doesn't might not.

So basically, you'd be able to tell us what the pack is like as a "single variable", without having any idea what the pack is like when grouped with other packs. Fair enough. But that's not determining it's gameplay value as a whole, only in part.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    These types of folks were common when I used to play MMOs. They would spend the time between game updates complaining about a lack of content, then speed through what did come out. I tend to think they prefer forum discussions/baiting happy gamers to the actual games they play. To each there own though. They tend to do it at every release so I just try to avoid their topics if I can.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Gee I have had my family since Strangerville and I haven't even done everything from Island Living and now I added Realm of Magic nope that will take me months. I still haven't done everything in Get Famous or Seasons though I have had all the holidays more then once. :joy:

Me too. I have not even done the strangerville story, nor everything in sulani, and hardly anything from get famous. I haven't even seen the easter bunny. I think it will be a long while before I do much with magic. So far I am setting up filler spellcaster sims from the gallery to hoepfully prevent my normal sims from visting the realm.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited September 2019
    Gee I have had my family since Strangerville and I haven't even done everything from Island Living and now I added Realm of Magic nope that will take me months. I still haven't done everything in Get Famous or Seasons though I have had all the holidays more then once. :joy:

Me too. I have not even done the strangerville story, nor everything in sulani, and hardly anything from get famous. I haven't even seen the easter bunny. I think it will be a long while before I do much with magic. So far I am setting up filler spellcaster sims from the gallery to hoepfully prevent my normal sims from visting the realm.

Same though.....still haven’t explored all of island living, get Famous in its entirety, owned any business, played a vampire, played all the GTW careers and really I could keep going. I didn’t start buying any DLC till 2017 and a good portion of it I bought in bundles semi close together whenever I could. I’m playing around with magic already but I’m taking it slowly and not trying to learn it all at once.
    edited September 2019
    So basically, you'd be able to tell us what the pack is like as a "single variable", without having any idea what the pack is like when grouped with other packs. Fair enough. But that's not determining it's gameplay value as a whole, only in part.

Except not quite, because I'm pretty sure I was finishing up the marine biologist career from IL, played through a snowstorm, took care of a pet, dealt with a welcome wagon, and celebrated Harvest Day while I was maxing my spellcaster out

But this is "single-variable" gameplay, I take it. This is an abnormal experience, unworthy of putting forth. Got it ;) .
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited September 2019
    @Cupid

Make up your mind. You previously said......

"When I get a new pack, I do like to blast through in the first few days."

Now you're saying there was gameplay involved.

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited September 2019
    Anyway adding an on topic comment. I think it depends on your playstyle for sure. I for one am not a huge occult player. I’ve always liked witches in the past sims games and they were the only occult I really played, even them I didn’t play them super often. Now I missed out on makin magic as I didn’t own really any dlc for sims 1 so i can’t compare anything to do that. But to me this is the best magic we have seen. It’s in depth and there is a decent amount of spells and a good amount of potions. As a fairly realistic player I find myself getting really excited with my spellcaster sim doing things. I can see myself having multiple spellcasters in different saves. The realm is incredible and I find it very enjoyable to play around in and glimmerbrook is a nice world. If you know magic isn’t your thing I’d say wait, it’s not worth it. The gameplay is where, in my honest option, this pack shines unlike island living where it was all pretty little substance. You can learn all the spells super quick yes, but the decision of how quickly is up to you. You don’t have to just learn spell after spell and potion after potion, you can take your time which is what I am doing. I’d say if you think with your play style you’d get enjoyment out of it, go for it.
    @Cupid

Are these mutually exclusive statements? Because I'm not seeing it.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    @Cupid

Exactly. There you have it. First you try to justify your idea of ... blasting through a DLC neighborhood as being a valid opinion of gameplay, then you contradict yourself by claiming oh no... there really was gameplay...lol
    Back on topic...

As someone who's played a (90%) maxed out Caster my personal opinion.

You can do this long term and not focus on magic the sages are immortal if auto age everyone is on I'd think if not they get replaced.

You can buy this and never meet mages for whatever (imo) odd reason you'd have...

Getting everything certainly takes forever... Took me till like 7 hours to learn Decursify...

Familiars give you a perm Confidence moodlet (and muse on your magical progress or lack thereof)
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    @Cupid

Exactly. There you have it. First you try to justify your idea of ... blasting through a DLC neighborhood as being a valid opinion of gameplay, then you contradict yourself by claiming oh no... there really was gameplay...lol

You can play the game while you're "blasting through" content. As a matter of fact, you kind of have to. Unless "gameplay" only means a very specific and particular thing to you- to which I point back to where I said:
    All playstyles are valid, not just the way that you play.

That said, I'm still waiting to see where this "misleading opinion" that I've apparently left is. The only opinion I gave about the pack in this thread is:
    It seems alright so far. Nothing in it has really blown me away yet, but I'm not mad that I threw 20 bucks at it.

which is fairly positive, tbh? So if you're saying that I'm trying to bash the pack because I finished my spellcaster quickly, I'm just not seeing where that argument is coming from.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I don't have it yet either, as I to am waiting on a payday, but I think it will be worth it despite what I'm fixing to say.

I also think it will be one of those things you do once and don't do again if you are not an occult player. I don't expect it to be any different than any other pack we've been getting this year, play with it for a little while then get bored and move on to something else. In past games I've always gone through each occult just once and then went back to building or playing my generational game. However, I want this pack because I want to have witches in my generational game play and for a sim story idea I have, plus I do like to build so this pack is relevant to my play style. Now with that said, if you really aren't into occult play I would probably wait for a sale or as previously stated a bundle to come out as it would be cheaper and more worth the lesser price on something you might think lacks game play depth.
    WbUrFQm.png
    edited September 2019
    @Cupid

You can play the game while you're "blasting through" content. As a matter of fact, you kind of have to. Unless "gameplay" only means a very specific and particular thing to you- to which I point back to where I said:
    All playstyles are valid, not just the way that you play.

That said, I'm still waiting to see where this "misleading opinion" that I've apparently left is. The only opinion I gave about the pack in this thread is:
    It seems alright so far. Nothing in it has really blown me away yet, but I'm not mad that I threw 20 bucks at it.

which is fairly positive, tbh? So if you're saying that I'm trying to bash the pack because I finished my spellcaster quickly, I'm just not seeing where that argument is coming from.

If you're saying this and if you're saying that.... we can both sit here all day and play the "if" game, which is only important to those trying to create a narritive in their favor.

The bottom line is this. You use the word "blast" then claim the activity of "gameplay" and the two ideas don't sound like they work well together. Which encourages me to ask that you pick either/or.

At any rate, If I were asking if the pack was worth the money, I wouldn't want an opinion born from someone spending a few days blasting through a DLC, while claiming to still be looking after their dog and cooking meals.

What about the new things to plant for the gardening career. How is the new build mode items? Are there many new items to find? How long does it take to complete the magic traits from each of the 3 sages? How many trips to the store do we need to take before we can have all the items purchased..... etc. etc.

I would want to hear people's experience with such ideas, and from people not blasting their way through the pack.
    @muzickmage I love the Clothing and decor I can use everything in the pack to build a house <3<3

As a guy who bought this pack exclusively for magic gameplay I can only talk about being a Caster and my opinions on the lifestate.
    I've only had a glimpse of the new CAS items so far, but did notice a couple items I think i'm going to like. Right now i'm working on the greenhouse so I can check out the new gardening additions, and i'm just about to setup a alter room in my basement here. (IMO) The new build items look great.
    I've only had a glimpse of the new CAS items so far, but did notice a couple items I think i'm going to like. Right now i'm working on the greenhouse so I can check out the new gardening additions, and i'm just about to setup a alter room in my basement here. (IMO) The new build items look great.

The firefly scones are beutiful
    edited September 2019
    If you're saying this and if you're saying that.... we can both sit here all day and play the "if" game, which is only important to those trying to create a narritive in their favor.

Or rather, only unimportant to those trying to ignore dissenting opinions ;)
    At any rate, If I were asking if the pack was worth the money, I wouldn't want an opinion born from someone spending a few days blasting through a DLC, while claiming to still be looking after their dog and cooking meals.

I would want to hear people's experience with such ideas, and from people not blasting their way through the pack.

I mean, then it's a good thing that it's not your thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I don't think someone who made a topic asking if the pack is worth it on release day is looking to get an in depth evaluation, or an opinion from only the most qualified experts™. Everybody's sharing their experiences. You should be able to distinguish which of those experiences are valuable to you from which are not.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited September 2019

Or rather, only unimportant to those trying to ignore dissenting opinions ;)

I mean, then it's a good thing that it's not your thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I don't think someone who made a topic asking if the pack is worth it on release day is looking to get an in depth evaluation, or an opinion from only the most qualified experts™. Everybody's sharing their experiences. You should be able to distinguish which of those experiences are valuable to you from which are not.

Well we finally came to an agreement. Yes, it's a good thing this isn't "my" thread.

I'm in the middle of creating my alter room so I can experience the build stuff.

Have fun with your game.