Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Those controversial stairs to nowhere. What do you think?

2...Next

Comments

• NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    edited September 2019
    I really do not care for lilsimsie as she is actually quite annoying, but calling them lazy over this is just silly. It is likely they simply forgot to put a door there or realised that they could not put the door there due to budget for the house and lot. They have to keep the lots as simple as possible for people with lower-end PCs.

They introduced the gallery so that people could share houses.
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Wow, I took "stairs to nowhere" to be a much cooler thing. I thought it might be stairs seeming to go to an attic, but no door to the attic. And maybe there are witchy supplies in the attic.

Nope, this is lame.

Obvious mistake is obvious.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited September 2019
    Luxury wrote: »
    It's a staircase. Put a door on it and get over it.

in every save? I dunno about any of you guys but I don't want to have to fix their mistakes in every one of my saves. It's annoying.

You plan to play that house in every save? Ambitious.

If it is in your way, fix it. If not, ignore it. I am always tinkering with houses, anyway. Who knows why the previous owners bricked up the door to the kitchen garden. If I decide I want one, easy peasy. Otherwise, no skin off my nose.
    NoTalent wrote: »
    I really do not care for lilsimsie as she is actually quite annoying, but calling them lazy over this is just silly. It is likely they simply forgot to put a door there or realised that they could not put the door there due to budget for the house and lot. They have to keep the lots as simple as possible for people with lower-end PCs.

Right? I make mistakes like this all the time. "Why is no one using that extra bathroom ever? Oh. Maybe a door would help". Stuff gets overlooked.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    So say these (missing door, wrong textured roof) are sloppy mistakes of the devs, an oversight, whatever.

Both mishaps take literally 10 seconds to fix.

Is it really worth a 20-minute rant?
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Right? I make mistakes like this all the time. "Why is no one using that extra bathroom ever? Oh. Maybe a door would help". Stuff gets overlooked.

I don't think official houses for a world in a pack you pay for should be held to the same standards as what players do for fun in their spare time.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    If this door snafu was the only mistake made in this pack, I might not think twice about it. But no cabinets for the new counters, the Island Living matching island counters that have missing waterfall edges as well as mismatched color swatches (from the update), we can't sell potions using the flea market table or in a Sim's retail store, random crashes while playing, crashes in CAS because of exiting while a Spellcaster is casting, and crashes while trying to use occcult eyes in CAS; those are all mistakes, too. Then add in the 'meh' builds in Glimmerbrook and this pack loses a bit of it's sparkle. I see gorgeous driveways leading up to drab builds that do not look spooky or magical in any way, shape or form then see a staircase leading up to a wall without a door on a house with roofs that don't match? Maybe this says more about the teams not caring about this pack as a whole, with only bits and pieces of it being given special attention. I haven't seen a decent Maxis created build since Seasons was released. And that pack used a lot more processing resources than Realm of Magic so there can be no excuse for this other than someone dropped the ball when it came to the Glimmerbrook builds. And the only venue in Glimmerbrook is yet another bar? With all the new B/B assets nobody had enough imagination to create something more in line with the theme of this pack? Frankly, they should have left those lots empty to begin with and concentrated only on the lots with the pre-mades because even those two lots need help. :/
  • Meegie1977Meegie1977 Posts: 224 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    So say these (missing door, wrong textured roof) are sloppy mistakes of the devs, an oversight, whatever.

Both mishaps take literally 10 seconds to fix.

Is it really worth a 20-minute rant?

No, it's not but that's what her fans seem to want.
  • Silver_Ghost925Silver_Ghost925 Posts: 40 Member
    I still don't get it. It's fixable, right? It's not like many things that require mods to be fixed in the game. When I don't like the look of a premade house, I bulldoze the lot and build my own and I also forget to add certain stuff, despite not having nearly as much work or a deadline as any of the devs. I don't think it is fair to say it is lazy either. It is one thing amongst thousands they had to do. It will most likely be fixed in a future patch, and if it doesn't, it won't affect your gameplay at all if we stop being petty about going into build mode and adding a door.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited September 2019
    This is why I created my own "base save." Careless and sloppy mistakes made by the devs are beyond irritating. Otherwise it would take me hours to set up every single new save file, just in case I ever visit a game lot. Have not bought the pack yet, as I refuse to pay full price for what I see as s subpar launched product.
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    edited September 2019
    Due to the call-out of " ... a couple of little surprises for the LittleSimsies out there"... on the live play, do you think the Gurus deliberately made those stairs go into the brick wall and no door?
    I think they did.

With that logic in Strangerville they must have left that famous fruit bowl on the counter to "add strange" into Strangerville.
    How does George make his fruit salad without a counter space? So strange..

And in Island Living they must have left island counters away on purpose as well just to be funny. Island living without island haha.

And in Get Famous there is no toilets because famous people only poop money?

Lets accept the fact that they just don't care about this game anymore.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited September 2019
    I wonder if some people have investments in EA games, that's why they have to rebuke (with almost personal hurt) any hint of criticism about TS4.

Weirder stories!
  • DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    edited September 2019
    happyopi wrote: »

I don't think official houses for a world in a pack you pay for should be held to the same standards as what players do for fun in their spare time.

This.

Honestly, it would be one thing if this was a one-off thing, but small errors in houses seem to happen more often in this era than in previous ones. They can really add up after a while if you're someone who frequently plays in EA houses instead of building your own. As far back as the base game in 2014, I'm pretty sure, there is a wall in a house in Oasis Springs that was accidentally left uncovered.

modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    It's a sloppy build. Not because they left out a door or by design no door (teleportation needs stairs but no door?) but because of where they set the stairs. There is a one tile space between the staircase and the wall and then a rail that seems odd there. I would have put the stairs connected to the back wall and moved the inside wall if I wanted a door. The one tile space (outside) bugs me more than the missing door. A good contractor would have went back to the architect and ask them what are you thinking? (Because of the one tile space) then tried to block it with an object so Sims don't go behind those stairs...and in older games they would have been out there stuck between the staircase and wall. Sloppy. ETA: It bugs me as much as when I see lots with windows not centered and all over the place and anyone who studies a house long enough will start to see how inline architecture is, windows aren't on the edge of a building (rarely) it would hurt the foundation. And a window isn't normally out of sync with another window in a room, again it would hurt a foundation wall, and or weaken a wall.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Luxury wrote: »
    It's a staircase. Put a door on it and get over it.

in every save? I dunno about any of you guys but I don't want to have to fix their mistakes in every one of my saves. It's annoying.

I spend a lot of time fixing mistakes in builds - EA or otherwise.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited September 2019
    personally i love stupid things like this in premade houses it makes it more fun to me when i renovate and also helps me spin stupid stories

what i am not fan of is the oversized builds in some worlds that simply cant be playable no matter how much i renovate and i must replace whole house

but i mean technically i dont care if the builds got issues since well builds are replaceable and there is whole gallery of builds even if its too "annoying to renovate"
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I immediately thought it was deliberate.
    It reminds me of the Winchester house and I really like it.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I think it's just laziness to be honest. I personally it'd be more understandable for something like that to happen in a Sims 3 pack when they create entire new open worlds.
  • NakkihevariNakkihevari Posts: 22 Member
    I get the feeling that the devs don't really spend a lot of time testplaying The Sims 4, which then makes me think that they aren't as invested in their creation as they should be. Will Wright was IN LOVE with the world he had created and that showed in The Sims and The Sims 2 lores. The third iteration of the game was good in many ways but I feel like it had lost the charm and richness of the different characters (many of which were just wiped off and never to be seen again from games 1 and 2). The 4th installment went in even further, in my opinion, in this lore erasure. The devs don't seem to care about the world as much, so the end result is emptier and more sloppy than the previous games.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    No idea if the stairs went nowhere on purpose or not, but I liked it. It's a magic pack, stairs going to a solid wall adds character I think. It fits with the theme.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Didn't bother me at all - I just fixed them to how I wanted them anyway - like I do most things in my game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....