Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Realm of Magic Meet Your Expectations?

Comments

• WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Realm of Magic exceeded my expectations.
    I'm having a blast with my over-powered, self-sustaining,spell caster and the story I've wound up crafting around her. I already knew that Glimmerbrook would be bland with the limited lot size, but with the bulldozer the bar is now a dueling ring and the unoccupied lot was bulldozed and rebuilt for one of the Weird Sisters from Macbeth who needed a break from her other sisters and the ghost of MacBeth.

Later own I'll make a copy of her to visit my normal and Supernatural Legacy families as the reason for one of my heirs deciding to become a stage magician for normal and a Spellcaster for the supernatural.
  • jason712jason712 Posts: 83 Member
    Realm of Magic did not meet my expectations.
    I love the Spellcasters themselves, a few things they could have done to improve it for me would be more unique spells. For the most part the spells we have can be done through other powers or objects and that leaves it feeling not so unique.

The main thing for me is the Magic world. I don't see a reason to return there once you've unlocked all the spells, potions etc...

TS1 handled this better in that the world had more interaction with rides and magic shows plus it had a its own currency so the stuff you needed couldn't just be bought straight away. There were little challenges to earn some stuff and finally you could buy houses with the magic currency. Overall Magic Town had more reasons for me to return. Oh and there seems to be a lack of decor items which surprised me. Other than those little gripes I am enjoying it.
  • MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,188 Member
    I was so excited and got it as soon as it released because I'm obsessed with occult stuff.
    Now I wish I got it on 50% sale.

Glimerbrook is tiny and some houses are unfinished, one doesn't even have a door lol.

Spells are meh, I expected some more depth when it comes to spellcasting.

Overall, it is a good pack, almost like Vampires which is my favorite, but I expected a bit more depth from them regarding the gameplay.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    tumblr_pxoepyb6DQ1vorh5do1_1280.jpg
    I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. This game pack is gorgeous, the assets are stunning, and spell casting is far more in depth than I thought it would be. This game pack exceeded my expectations.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    Other. (because someone will always want to choose other)
    I'm one of those people who posted "Other" because I haven't delved too deep into it yet but Glimmerbrook has thus far been a disappointment. Only 3 houses and a bar? No apothecary? Come on! And the biggest land size is only 40x30... we need room to build our own magical fortresses/schools/castles, etc.
    Simming for twenty years...
  • jason712jason712 Posts: 83 Member
    I'm one of those people who posted "Other" because I haven't delved too deep into it yet but Glimmerbrook has thus far been a disappointment. Only 3 houses and a bar? No apothecary? Come on! And the biggest land size is only 40x30... we need room to build our own magical fortresses/schools/castles, etc.

More the reason why being able to create our own neighbourhoods is essential. The designs are great and I want my Sims to live there but the size of the lots leaves it limited. I tend to stay in Newbrook because it's one of the few that has a large lot.
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2019
    tumblr_pxoepyb6DQ1vorh5do1_1280.jpg
    I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. This game pack is gorgeous, the assets are stunning, and spell casting is far more in depth than I thought it would be. This game pack exceeded my expectations.

This is a gorgeous screenshot! <3 I love taking screenshots in sims 4 , especially of the beautiful environments
    Post edited by SageOfGlimmerBrook on
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• Realm of Magic exceeded my expectations.
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    It totally met my expectations. I'm playing with Spellcasters at the moment. I love the CAS and Build/Buy items.

I adore the CAS! And of course BB is good too
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    So I still haven't done a ton in game yet other than explore all the new items and have my sim become a spellcaster, but I am impressed. I haven't found myself grinning this much playing sims in a while and I love the sims 4, this pack just makes me feel so excited when I mess with it. This pack is very detailed and spellcasters had so much thought put into them. There are a lot of spells to learn, there are so many ways to use them in the game because of the different types of magic, and the simplicity of becoming one was a huge plus. I love both worlds, small but to be expected since it is a gamepack. But I see myself using Glimmerbrook and I never use Forgotten Hollow. Glimmerbook is a beautiful world in general, it is a shame its only 5 lots. The realm is just incredible and actually bigger than I was expecting personally. I love it, I am not an occult player but this has won me over. Well done Sims!
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    YES. I don't have it yet but sims can use their hands finally, have tons of spells and potions, another realm, etc...
  • RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    Realm of Magic met my expectations.
    Penelope wrote: »
    It's one of the better game packs, in my opinion. I'm mystified why they decided to not include any witch hats, though. Like ... what?
    The spell system is pretty nice, though.

Because they came with Spooky Stuff...just my guess tho.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm someone that's a sucker for occult-type/supernatural content. While I haven't gotten every spell yet, so far this pack has given me a solid "meh". The Realm of Magic is very nice and one of the more creative worlds they've done, but that's all it is. Nice to look at. Glimmerbrook isn't worth talking about, to be honest. It's just another world that's just... there. The spells themselves, specifically their animations, aren't impressive at all. I expected more than just a bunch of sparkles. The duel animations are very nice, however. It also doesn't offer much in the way of actually new gameplay. It just offers a more fancy and sparkly way of accomplishing things you could already do in the game through other content.

Nothing has straight up wowed me in this pack. The last time I felt like that was with Get Famous when I found the Music Station. And I got bored of that in about an hour. It's nice to look at, but it's still as shallow as most of TS4's content. It's not a terrible pack by any means, but Vampires and Parenthood far exceed this pack's quality.

Essentially, it's a pack that adds in a cool-looking world that isn't that interesting with some cool-looking animations and it offers new ways to accomplish the same goals instead of deepening the game even further. For a pack about magic, something that has so much depth to it, this pack doesn't show me that magic has any depth or creativity to it at all.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    YES. I don't have it yet but sims can use their hands finally, have tons of spells and potions, another realm, etc...

You use your hands by default
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    edited September 2019
    RexZheng wrote: »
    Penelope wrote: »
    It's one of the better game packs, in my opinion. I'm mystified why they decided to not include any witch hats, though. Like ... what?
    The spell system is pretty nice, though.

Because they came with Spooky Stuff...just my guess tho.

But...people shouldn't be required to buy an older stuff pack just to get a "witch" hat for the new "witch" game pack. That is just ridiculous. Did they make the witch hat from Spooky stuff available to everyone in the last patch? (I don't know because I do happen to already have Spooky Stuff.)
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    Have not purchased this pack yet. It seems I may either. I'm reading negative reviews. Think I may stay with my Sims 3

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    bluzkat65 wrote: »
    Have not purchased this pack yet. It seems I may either. I'm reading negative reviews. Think I may stay with my Sims 3

Don't always trust what you read online about it being good or bad. Read about the features in the pack, then decide.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member

If you only judge by negative opions you'll never enjoy anything
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I voted 'other' because I have not bought this pack yet. So this is just my personal opinion based on everything I have seen in trailers, live play streams, and read here in various forum discussions. Realm of Magic is very close to what I expected it to be. There are no surprises or disappointments in store for me once I do add it to my game. Many players are concerned the spells are just new ways to do many of the things we can already do in the game such as fulfilling needs or cheating death. That made me wonder why the teams decided to do things this way. But then I also had to think about the various people working on Sims4 and how many hours they actually play this game once they leave the office at the end of their work days, and if any of them have as many hours of playing time as a lot of us have. I have almost two thousand hours invested in Sims4. And I know there has to be players that have played even more than that. But we aren't working every day as a member of one of the teams, so our view of Sims4 is much different than that of someone creating various bits and pieces of new packs and might not play Sims4 at home during their off time. They cannot see how to create 'new' features we feel are not repetitious because to them that animation or feature is just a small part of whatever new pack they are working on. How many of them actually play the game and experience it on our level? Not very many is my guess.

Yes, there are gameplay features that are somewhat new, but many of those features are already in the game, and we can accomplish them pretty much any time we want. Those features were simply given a facelift in mechanics. The Realm world is stunning and unique, Glimmerbrook is a redo of Granite Falls but a residential world rather than a destination world. I can live with that. Since I have not played the pack yet, I can't comment on how difficult, or easy, it is to play a Sim and reach the top of their chosen path. The one thing that does bother me is the fact new packs are still being developed to be compatible with older systems, and is hindering the development of those packs. And I can see how well this game performs on my older laptop, but has problems whenever I switch to playing on my newer gaming desktop that is seven months old.

I fully expected almost everything I have seen in Realm of Magic. I would have liked to see more, but it's obviously not going to change any time soon. The new B/B and CAS assets are unique, and fit very well with the theme of the pack. But the teams have become very good at creating unique assets. Unfortunately, unique assets and pretty new worlds aren't considered new gameplay features. I will buy this pack, though. I want Glimmerbrook and the new assets in order to create new environments for my Sims, and have CAS assets that fit within my storylines. I will dabble with the magic aspect a bit at some point since it is what this pack is all about. But magic is not the main reason why I am buying it.

• kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member

Don't always trust what you read online about it being good or bad. Read about the features in the pack, then decide.

Agreed 👍 I am yet to purchase this pack as I am forced to wait until my fortnightly pay day 😂 There are split reviews, but all in all what I have read seems positive 😊
    rnKEhBT.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    I was going to come back to TS4 and get this pack but then I decided to let this one pass, too. I can only go by what others show me, talk about and or what their own impressions are about a pack. I look for those remarks that are concerned about things I would be concerned about. I don't buy packs for CAS and pretty screen shots. I buy packs for gameplay. So, I have to find opinions and facts based on gameplay.

So far, it seems the pack is riddled with bugs, glitches and possibly a few things that can't be done because of a bug, and random townies going into the magic realm, breaking immersion. ( I care about that).

Dressing in crazy outfits (no fashion sense) due to the remaining situational bug that was reported in 2017 (I care about that), so all the things I care about when looking at a pack (gameplay) is already broken, and gameplay (which is most important) is in some ways a rehash of what's already in game.
    So, no, it didn't meet my expectations, it soldified them into knowing the longer the game continues the worse it gets in the areas that matter to me. Which isn't CAS and pretty screenshots but more concerned with gameplay, AI, and world sizes and lot totals.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I'm really really really disappointed. :'( Magic is my favorite theme, and they plummed it up.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm not sure why anyone would be expecting more lots in a game pack. Most game packs didn't come with new worlds at all. The only game pack that had a new world with more than a couple lots on it was Strangerville, and that was because the entire premise of the pack was exploring the mystery of the town.

I'm in between "met my expectations" and "exceeded my expectations" for this one. I do agree that a lot of the spells do things we can already do, but I like the fact that a lot of those things are way, way easier with a spell. I would have liked to see a few more completely new things that would be good for storytelling, like how vampires can completely wipe a Sim's memory of all their relationships. It's still odd to think of spellcasters as a different life state. I'm more going with the premise that spellcasters are finicky and won't teach vampires or mermaids for fear they'll become too powerful and/or their loyalties will be divided.

I love the world, I've barely touched the surface with all the building objects and CAS stuff, and I'm just generally having a really good time with it. (My potion maker just started brewing the need-filling potion for all meals in the household. ^_^)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Haven't yet bough it but have seen A LOT of LP's, overviews, etc. on Youtube and it seems pretty disappointing, honestly.

Once again, only CAS and BB are good while the gameplay is missing or poorly done. This doesn't even hold a candle to other non-Sims games you can play today that have this theme.
  • HurtPrincessHurtPrincess Posts: 3 New Member
    It could of been better
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2019
    For the people who don't have the pack yet, I'd like to caution you to take with a grain of salt the claims that there is no new game play. They did something really awesome with dueling in this game pack, and I don't recall it being in any sims game before this. In addition to the standard friendly and heated (causes animosity between the participants) duels, you can duel for knowledge, ingredients, and artifacts. This is awesome, because it makes dueling useful. I don't mind things existing for the sake of existing, as those sorts of things provide good fodder for imaginative storytelling, but I like things to be useful, too, and the devs nailed it with spell casting duels. I wish vampire duels operated in a similar fashion. So while dueling is not new per say, since vampires could duel, the option to duel for a purpose is, and it is a most welcome game play addition. I won my broom through a freaking duel, and I love that! To the victor the spoils of sim war go!!! >:)

Also, I finally finished learning all of the spells and potions last night, and like the dueling options, they're both useful and fun to experiment with. I like that the alchemy system uses the collectibles in the world. It's refreshing to have an actual use for fishing, gardening, gathering frogs, gem hunting, and even those silly My Sims statues, outside of simply displaying them. I am not a fan of those little statues, and actually laughed out loud when I had to go hunt down a Zombie Carl one for a potion of resurrection. :D I largely ignore the collectibles in TS4, because up until now, there was simply no real use for them outside of aesthetics. Like I said above, that's ok for ambiance, but if I'm going to be bothered trekking all over the place, I want something more... this game pack gave me that by making the items not only useful but valuable to me as well. I bred a flipping frog... I have NEVER bred a frog in this darn game, because that kind of game play didn't interest me in the slightest. You do it once, you're done, you don't need it for anything else... so why bother? Well, now I had cause to bother, because I needed a spotted heart frog as an ingredient and that was the only way to get it without cheating. lol I will duplicate the rest through the spell duplicato, though, cause I'm a lazy alchemist. rofl The spell can backfire and burn up what you're duplicating, so don't wait until you only have one left like I did, or you'll be back to breeding frogs. ROFL!!!

I have an impishly delightful time casting duplicato on my sim, too and creating a clone that I order about to clean, cook, or go fight random sims. They behave just like any other sim, so you can socialize with your clone, but you cannot personally romance them. Yeah, I checked, cause if you could, I was going to make a Narcissus sim. LOL Other sims can romance your clone, though, so I'm still waiting to see if Caleb Vatore (my spell caster's husband) confuses the real Lina with the clone Lina and makes a wrong move romantically. :D I could be wrong, but I don't think we could previously clone our sim before the addition of this game pack... so I mean... new game play there, and it's both fun and useful to utilize.

I also tend to use infatuate a lot, because it forces two sims to be romantic with each other. In the magical realm, if I see non magical townies there learning spells, I always use this or burgliate (steals something from the sim) on the offending invaders. We have powerful spells at our fingertips now, too, like being able to bring a ghost sim back to life. You have the standard fair of summoning ghosts, mind control, turning a sim into an inanimate object, allure for seduction, repairing, encasing people in ice or lighting them on fire, making them repulsive etc. There are a ton of spells, some practical, mischievous, or just downright weird.

My only real complaint... is none of these spells will flat out kill a sim... but that's something the devs have said time and time again, that they will not put in TS4. They don't want sims to be able to murder each other, and I understand where they are coming from with that... especially in today's super sensitive climate... even if I don't agree with the decision.

Anyway, for a GAME PACK, they delivered some lovely new game play that is both functional and fantastical. For a fantasy simmer, this game pack is really sweet, and I really hope they do one for fairies, genies, or werewolves in the future.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg