Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it worth buying ROM?!

Comments

• BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    The answer is simple. If you really want spellcasting in your game, then buy. If you don't care about magic, then you should really wait for a discount (and several bug fixes). There is really nothing special for a non-supernatural player in this pack, that would cost the full price. Several types of windows don't cost 20 bucks, and all the other content is very specific. There isn't also some deep story or revolutionary gameplay. Just some spellcasting and alchemy for your sims.
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    edited September 2019
    No, it’s not worth it, I was looking forward to this pack but after trying it out I m a bit disappointed. The worlds are pretty but a bit empty, nothing much do in magic realm, my sim befriended all three sages and was immediately able to learn a new spell off each one just by asking. Duelling is ok the first time but gets a bit boring after a while,but my biggest bugbear are the spells and potions, the ones I tried out are very limited, setting people on fire is fun until you realise that’s it, it lasts a few seconds then burns out same for furniture, there Is nt any point to it really. My favourite part by far was when my sim died by overcharge, that was quite fun. I love sims, but I wish they would stop putting out games that toddlers could play, so disappointed with this pack. The windows are cool however.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I enjoy the pack, so in my opinion, yes.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    edited September 2019
    So, as someone who loves this pack and disagrees with a lot of the criticisms being levied at it (simply because those criticisms in question seem to not really compare the spellcasting in this game to previous games)...

I would wait. My game crashed twice last night, one in the known CAS issue, once just running around the world. I’ve experienced more lag in this game than any other pack so far, which to be fair I do play this on a laptop... but if you don’t have a high powered laptop/computer I would definitely want until the bugs are ironed out.

My roommate who also got the gp has had no issues after I warned her about the CAS issue, and is loving it, but she has a high powered gaming laptop

As someone who holds TS2 as a standard, the witches in this game surpass them easily. I can do so much more with the witches in this game, and the magic is much more thought out and unique. (As for ts3, I... honestly can’t remember the spells in that one, which considering I played supernaturals and witches for two years straight that’s. Yikes.)

Also it is impossible to do everything in 20 minutes. If you are trying to collect everything, the shops only offer limited supplies that resets each day. It took me several minutes to become a witch from the game loading, but I also talked to the sages a bit. After that I went around gathering ingredients for another 10 from in-world spawn points, and then the shops and practicing spells was another several. In 30 minutes I had learned 1 potion and 1 spell.

It should be noted I can be a pretty fast player when I want to be. And there is much more to see and do in the magic world and Glimmerbrook than say, midnight hollow.
    Post edited by RobinGreenthumb on
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    It is, I think it’s a good foundation for magic, but i’m Hoping it’s built on as the game goes on... still shocked seasons and other packs don’t have any thing to contribute.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • RealTeacherPlaysRealTeacherPlays Posts: 40 Member
    Yes it's good for storytelling. I like the build mode items a lot too
  • I will not play this game the normal, boring, fuddy duddy way ever again. Realm of Magic has really made my game go from blah to amazing <3
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2019
    Freygea wrote: »
    I have been playing for 4 hours and just now learned spellcasting. I find there is so much to do. I think it depends on how one plays. This pack will keep me entertained for days yet.

I can see this pack being used in every one of my future games so I expect hours and hours of game fun with it.

I am going to center my gameplay around Realm Of Magic. Thats how much I love it :D

9 to 5's and the "normal life" can only be so fun before it becomes oppressive and stifling. I think thats why I was bored with my game. Sims isn't super fun to me when Im just doing "reality". Reality's boring <3

Realm of Magic is my absolute favorite Sims release to date and I also love the Spellbook menu it gives me the warm and nostalgic feeling.

• FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    edited September 2019
    Simmify wrote: »
    Freygea wrote: »
    I have been playing for 4 hours and just now learned spellcasting. I find there is so much to do. I think it depends on how one plays. This pack will keep me entertained for days yet.

I can see this pack being used in every one of my future games so I expect hours and hours of game fun with it.

I am going to center my gameplay around Realm Of Magic. Thats how much I love it :D

9 to 5's and the "normal life" can only be so fun before it becomes oppressive and stifling. I think thats why I was bored with my game. Sims isn't super fun to me when Im just doing "reality". Reality's boring <3

Realm of Magic is my absolute favorite Sims release to date and I also love the Spellbook menu it gives me the warm and nostalgic feeling.

I never do nine to fives. I play 2 gals that are as silly as can be. They spent the first half-hour making friends with the scarecrow. None of my first four hours were even building anything. It took me that long to go to the portal because my gals kepts finding other things to do. ("Oh look a flower", "hey there is a frog",....fight ...make up..." maybe we should go to the bar"..."gah is 4 am..lets sleep and then find more trouble to get into".)

Needless to say, one of them finally made her way over to the portal at 3 hours into the game. : )
    Post edited by Freygea on
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Full disclosure: I got my pack via a giveaway and haven't had all that much time to play yet.

That said, I'm gonna get it for my kid because I love the pack & I know she will too. And the only reason I'll be looking for a discount/lower price is because of budget issues (it's a bad month for "fun" expenses). Had it been out at a time when I had the money, I'd have gotten it already because I think there's plenty in a pack that's 20 bucks (well, depending on where you are).

So, yeah, worth it. Obviously, depends on whether magic's your thing or not, OP.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    I only had the chance to play with it for an hour or two last night, but like it so far. I’ll hopefully get a chance to play more tonight and can dive deeper.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'm really enjoying it! I was up late last night playing and I can't wait to put some more time in today. I consider myself both a normal and occult simmer, but it was pretty dull playing as vampires since they were the only occult with any deep gameplay. I love mermaids but they dont do much and I havent played as an alien in like 2 years. Its good there's another occult that can "compete" with vampires. Personally, I think occults should just stick with their own packs. They're basically afterthoughts when they're added into other packs.

Anyway, I just have one spellcaster so far. She focuses mainly on potion making and has some practical spells underneath her sleeve. I'll learn about the remaining spell types later. And so far, Im having alot of fun creating potions. Its gotten me to do tasks I really havent paid much attention to, like gardening and catching frogs. And hopefully soon I can start selling all the potions she's made. *prays wildly for upcoming bug fixes*

I havent had this much fun since Get Famous. Worth the $20 if you ask me, though I basically got it for free since I had birthday money. So even if I didnt like it, my wallet wouldnt be screaming at me later haha.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited September 2019
    As long you're not feared of the game crashing when exiting CAS during wrong time, I think you're good to go.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2019
    muzickmage wrote: »
    (IMO) The problem with Sim packs isn't limited to the packs alone, but also exists on the part of the player as well. Some players when getting a new pack will jump into it, and play it to death for 3-5 straight hours hammering on each of the few details the pack has to offer, then decide it no longer has play value.

I've played the game for about 4 hours since ROM was installed. I have a household with 5 adult sims and decide to turn them all into spellcasters. Because of being busy with sending them to work, (not to mention the chore of getting them ready for work), I've managed to get all 5 turned into a spellcaster, but only 2 of them have learned from a sage so far achieving 3 schools of magic and the alchemy. The other 3 .... just spellcasters without any training whatsoever. All of them are still at a very low magic level.

Running a house takes up a lot of sim time, and achieving the spellcastor levels, though not very time consuming on it's own, will eat up your household responsibilities if you're overly eager to complete the pack fast enough to label it as empty.

I'm treating the ROM pack like I do with every other pack. A fill-in of ideas and activities to mix in with the rest of the game as a whole. Things to do here and there. If I were to treat each new pack like a brand new level to conquer in a game i'm trying to one day complete, then sure, maybe then I can say that the new add-on game level called ROM is somewhat limiting. But that's not how I play the game. I don't try to conquer and complete it.

I like the new build items that will definately help me create some new style buildings. The CAS has new outfits to play around with, and the new worlds, though small (I hate that), is something else to add to my list of places to visit. Plus there's a new category in the household collections. We have 30 categories of stuff to find now. Add to that the few new things to plant for gardeners and the pack starts looking a bit better.

Whether or not the pack is worth it for you will depend greatly on your personal style of gameplay. For me it's worth it. For others, maybe not so much.

Agreed, I don't even know how people maxed out their sim in 2-3 hours :joy: I've been playing all eve last night and tonight and one sim has learned 4 spells, the other 1 (and only because I made her read a tome). The sages nearly always refuse to teach them anything, they don't seem to learn much from experimenting on the cauldron, and frankly they have lives. They need to work, go to school, do homework, have hobbies, etc. xD Plus, idk, but magic wasn't all that hard or complex in TS3 Supernatural either, but I still loved it to pieces.

And I love this pack, too! Because I wanted witches and I got them. Could some things be better? Well yeah, it coulda been an EP xD But the animations are fluid, the spells fun & useful, the environment gorgeous, being a spellcaster is great, and it gives me exactly the vibe I wanted and missed from TS3 Supernaturals (mind you, I liked that packed almost exclusively because of the witches and, at least for an hour or two, the fairies :D), especially during fall season in my game. I'd definitely get it again, and I don't regret it. But people who don't like TS4 all that much won't be swayed by this pack - or any pack.
  • :D Yeah, Im a little befuddled how anyone could be maxing anything. I play for fun, it's not a race. I actually don't care how "hard" the skill is, because Im more about the journey. The animations are beautiful. And I love watching the sims duel and practice :)

Love this pack! @SimTrippy

• Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2019
    If you're a fantasy player, then yes, it's worth buying it on release. I loved how they set up the dueling system, too. You can duel other casters for all sorts of different resources and knowledge in the game, so your sim actually WINS something... you're not just dueling for the sake of dueling. The realm is absolutely breathtaking, and the spell casting/alchemy system is also very well done. With the addition of alchemy all those collectibles in the world are actually USEFUL! LOL Which is spectacular in my book. If you like supernatural aspects in your sims game, this is a must have.

If you're a realistic player, wait for a sale or pass on it completely, because the focus is on the mystical and magical. If you don't enjoy those elements, you will not enjoy this pack.

For me, though, this is the best content pack they have released because it is my target niche. I'd take this over any SP, GP, or EP they have released previously.
    tumblr_pxoepyb6DQ1vorh5do1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • If you're a fantasy player, then yes, it's worth buying it on release. I loved how they set up the dueling system, too. You can duel other casters for all sorts of different resources and knowledge in the game, so your sim actually WINS something... you're not just dueling for the sake of dueling. The realm is absolutely breathtaking, and the spell casting/alchemy system is also very well done. With the addition of alchemy all those collectibles in the world are actually USEFUL! LOL Which is spectacular in my book. If you like supernatural aspects in your sims game, this is a must have.

If you're a realistic player, wait for a sale or pass on it completely, because the focus is on the mystical and magical. If you don't enjoy those elements, you will not enjoy this pack.

For me, though, this is the best content pack they have released because it is my target niche. I'd take this over any SP, GP, or EP they have released previously.
    tumblr_pxoepyb6DQ1vorh5do1_1280.jpg

I very much agree. I thought I liked "realism" but it was boring me to tears. Like I just thought maybe i'd outgrown the sims. But I haven't at all. I just needed more.

I have always been a very dream world, whimsical person, so im not super surprised I love this pack. I just had never really given occult/fantasy play a chance. But i realize now, I prefer fantasy play! :) And truthfully, ROM and Vampires will most likely save this game for me. Keep me playing when I was about to stop because I thought I would always be bored .

Your post was informational as well, because I didn't really know sims could gain knowledge from dueling. I love the duels. If Vampires don't win anything from dueling, then thats just too bad. Wish they did as well @Ceres_Meiriona

• Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    @Simmify Oh goodness, yes! I deeply wish aliens and vampires had a similar system to spell casters! It seems the devs certainly learned from the mistakes they made with our previous occults. I do wish they'd update our vampires and aliens with a little extra umph to round them out, though. It would be deeply appreciated. I'm glad you discovered that you enjoy fantasy play! ROM definitely added what I have been craving to TS4, and I'm glad it did the same for you. I was ecstatic when I discovered I could duel casters for resources, because constantly gathering fish, crystals, plants and other resources does get tedious after awhile. Of course, the cloning spell that allows you to replicate items also helps with that, but there is something rather impishly enjoyable about roughing up another spell caster for the ingredients instead. >:) LOL
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    edited September 2019
    My last word on this would be, do not buy unless you are into fantasy style gameplay. The same advice I would give to people thinking of buying Vampires. Its best for everyone that way :)
    Post edited by SageOfGlimmerBrook on

• muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    When I see posts claiming to have seen everything, or done everything in just a couple hours, while I, after 7 hours now of playing the pack with my household i've had for months (and experiencing very little)... it makes me wonder how it is that they can manage to see and complete so much and play the game at the same time.

What I trust is happening with some players, is that they create new profiles to check out new packs. They don't have to worry about their sims working, or running a house because the new profile is created only for the purpose of clicking into the new pack features and playing it to death for a couple hours. They have no idea in that little time how the pack will affect long-term gameplay. They're not even testing it against long-term gameplay. Anyone can create a new profile and claim to complete a small neighborood DLC in a few hours. But complete it while playing the rest of the game as well. That's a completely different task.

I would like to see some gameplay videos from these people, so they can show us just how quickly they completed the ROM GP while maintaining their household tasks at the same time. Chances are, (at best) we'll see someone attempt this with a single player household, rather than multiple sims to look after. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a household of 5 adult sims. The house is quite the chore to maintain with all of them needing things one after the other. Finding time to maintain the household responsibilites, and completing the RoM pack..... in under a few hours.... pfffffffffffft. Not going to happen.

So yea, I would like to see some gameplay videos showing how people are experiencing everything so quickly in respect to long-term gameplay. (not short-term.... lets play to death, conquer, and complete just this new DLC neighborhoood as quickly as possible so I can label it as no good and overpriced, etc, etc.)
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Completely agree with @muzickmage because I was playing with a single sim, and there was no way I could get through it in two hours. Whoever said that used cheats of some type to make that happen.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Gee I have had my family since Strangerville and I haven't even done everything from Island Living and now I added Realm of Magic nope that will take me months. I still haven't done everything in Get Famous or Seasons though I have had all the holidays more then once. :joy:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Completely agree with @muzickmage because I was playing with a single sim, and there was no way I could get through it in two hours. Whoever said that used cheats of some type to make that happen.

Or plays the whole thing on speed 3 with motives cheats??? idk...but thats not a fun way to play :D

• muzickmage wrote: »
    When I see posts claiming to have seen everything, or done everything in just a couple hours, while I, after 7 hours now of playing the pack with my household i've had for months (and experiencing very little)... it makes me wonder how it is that they can manage to see and complete so much and play the game at the same time.

What I trust is happening with some players, is that they create new profiles to check out new packs. They don't have to worry about their sims working, or running a house because the new profile is created only for the purpose of clicking into the new pack features and playing it to death for a couple hours. They have no idea in that little time how the pack will affect long-term gameplay. They're not even testing it against long-term gameplay. Anyone can create a new profile and claim to complete a small neighborood DLC in a few hours. But complete it while playing the rest of the game as well. That's a completely different task.

I would like to see some gameplay videos from these people, so they can show us just how quickly they completed the ROM GP while maintaining their household tasks at the same time. Chances are, (at best) we'll see someone attempt this with a single player household, rather than multiple sims to look after. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a household of 5 adult sims. The house is quite the chore to maintain with all of them needing things one after the other. Finding time to maintain the household responsibilites, and completing the RoM pack..... in under a few hours.... pfffffffffffft. Not going to happen.

So yea, I would like to see some gameplay videos showing how people are experiencing everything so quickly in respect to long-term gameplay. (not short-term.... lets play to death, conquer, and complete just this new DLC neighborhoood as quickly as possible so I can label it as no good and overpriced, etc, etc.)

I mean, I started a new household, because I had been playing the game the boring 9 to 5 way and I wanted to start fresh. And Im still not done with anything .

edited September 2019
    And im only playing childless single sims . There's lots to do. I will still be playing ROM for years , much less months to come <3:)