Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Realm of Magic Meet Your Expectations?

Comments

• StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Realm of Magic exceeded my expectations.
    I'm very happy with this, I must confess that I was skeptical, but I truly enjoy this (torching your less favourite pre-made sims' furniture with magic is fun xD ). I was not very impressed with Glimmerbrook, though. Five lots. Really? But all in all I'm having a great time with it.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Realm of Magic met my expectations.
    Brinn wrote: »

No worries, turns out it's the old invasion of the occults from TS3. I honestly thought they would have gone the Vampires rout and not allow premades to be made into occults without your say-so.

I got the impression from the livestream that it is supposed to be that way, and its actually a bug. Fingers crossed it gets fixed. It doesn't matter to me in my current save, fortunately, but I definitely prefer having the control over these things.

It would be cool if they fixed it, but honestly, I have no idea, how. A bunch of townies becomes spellcasters so the Magic Realm could look populated. They didn't want to generate a new population for that purpose, I can totally understand this point.

I have some ideas on how to fix this problem in our games:
    1. Before entering Magic Realm mark as favorites those families you don't want to be turned to spellcasters.
    2. Before entering Magic Realm create some spellcaster families, so they could appear in the Magic Realm instead of innocent townies :)

I hope these preparations will help to defend the world against supernatural invasion...

It definitely does seem to be a bug, since we never got an invasion of vampires or mermaids (game generated ones not included) and there's an option in the game settings for you to have premade to opt-out of becoming celebrities. It just seems strange for it to have been intended as they've been careful in the past to not let things get out of the player's hands. Hopefully, there's a bug report on either these forms or Answers HQ and the devs are aware of it
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Ja_rdeJa_rde Posts: 19 Member
    Other. (because someone will always want to choose other)
    Im saying other though im happy with it I felt they could have added different spells it seem a bit recycled but still like it nonetheless
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sadly yes, because I wasn't expecting much in-depth gameplay and just something fun to mess around with. The stuff that is there is well done though, so good work Gurus! 👍
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    It did exceed my expectations... but not by a much.

I played for 3 sim-weeks yesterday (my usual testing with gameplay I like is to play in a testing save for one sim "year" which is currently set at 8 weeks - and no, I did not have anything better to do) and was really impressed by the visuals - and I've enjoyed the Sims 4 visuals a lot. And by the number of places I could find harvestables and dig spots. I think only the lab in the scientist career really compares.

But then there are things that bring it down, like the lovely little park-like area in the middle of Glimmer brook - that only has one lousy parsley plant. No benches, no chess table, nothing else to do there.

I was already surprised by the magic system, and it delivers. Way more robust than expected, and magic is fun, too. (And again, for those that want to counter this - I have really low expectations for magic in computer games, because no computer game can match the sort of depth I want from a magic system. This was also just an add on gamepack, not a core game.)

Having more options in CAS for skin color and features was a nice discovery, even if the eyes currently crash the game (I'd read about this before I started playing so didn't try. Rosemary does have pointed ears, though.) Kinda wish the half-alien skin colors were also available, but that's for selfish reasons.

I haven't had any major crashes, but I have had a lot more stutters with the game too, where it will freeze for a few seconds.

So, having gone in with eyes relatively open, it just barely exceeds my expectations. But I'm still having fun.
  • kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    Katrina4 wrote: »
    It's an impressive game pack. I'm having lots of fun, but really still working some stuff out. I hope someone does a full walkthrough guide very soon to make it all a bit easier.

I do not own this pack yet, but like you, I rely upon other simmers guidance when playing.. I am often on my phone Googling what to do when I get stuck whether it be during game play with careers or challenges, or simply how to reverse curses, cure vampirism etc. I am grateful to the community members for their help and advice.
    rnKEhBT.png
  • jennlynhjennlynh Posts: 41 Member
    I think right now my two issues are not being able to sell potions yet, and the townies being spellcasters. I also think this could have been a great opportunity to blend University in with this pack and made it an expansion pack. They could have made a Hogwart's type magic school....but that's just my idea
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    jennlynh wrote: »
    I think right now my two issues are not being able to sell potions yet, and the townies being spellcasters. I also think this could have been a great opportunity to blend University in with this pack and made it an expansion pack. They could have made a Hogwart's type magic school....but that's just my idea

I heard the potions unsellable is an error on the dev's part
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Realm of Magic did not meet my expectations.
    my expectations might have been too high based on trailers and such but atm I am not feeling it
    like don't get me wrong its great for 70% but the remaining 30% is just bit eh i wish you did more with that
    and the fact that i can pretty much achieve effects of many spells without having the pack sort of makes me kinda :/
    I'll get it eventually, I know I will since magic was always my fave theme and i love many things like the new world and cas and build and buy but just :/ idk
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • JägerJäger Posts: 5 New Member
    It meets my expectations but I don't like the townnies became spellcasters
  • jennlynhjennlynh Posts: 41 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    jennlynh wrote: »

I heard the potions unsellable is an error on the dev's part

Ahh ok thanks!!! There is a mod out there to fix it, but I'm kinda waiting to see if they post an update soon first.
    @jennlynh I saw a guru tweet that not selling potions if using GTW was not intentional.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    Other. (because someone will always want to choose other)
    I’m in the other because my main complaints are glitches, some randomization, and crashing. The actual gameplay and CAS and build/buy is fantastic!

One I get the game moded for the randomization and the crashes are fixed I’ll be gucci
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019
    What I don't like is how, once again, most if not all of the spells are just recycled content from the BG and other packs.... they don't really live up to my expectations. I think it was lazy and disappointing. Compare it to Makin' Magic, which had gnomes coming to life, spells to turn sims into actual toads, giving other sims donkey heads and making clouds hover above sim's heads, magically watering plants...etc. Once again, it feels like most of the "new" was thrown in into the world (s). I mean they already had the source code from Vampires to add the witch perks and so... I also wish sims could fly around with their brooms like in TS3 supernatural.... and not just teleport. I'm kind of sad we also didn't get crystal balls so that sims can read other's fortune. Plus just two new ingredients/harvestables feels not so great. I don't know, I'm just not feeling this pack at all.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • RealTeacherPlaysRealTeacherPlays Posts: 40 Member
    The magic realm is beautiful and there are tonnes of things to do so I like it
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    I've learnt not to expect too much when it comes to The Sims... (!) That said, I'm happy with RoM. I'm having fun with my spellcaster, and I like the practical spells. The visuals are good too. Glimmerbrook is lovely, I just wish it had more lots - but I know I'll be getting a decent amount of use out of it in all my saves. When I saw the portals in the magic realm I thought "oh no, so many loading screens" - I'm pleased that's not that case! I really like the CAS and build/buy stuff. I think overall it's a good GP.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    It's one of the better game packs, in my opinion. I'm mystified why they decided to not include any witch hats, though. Like ... what?
    The spell system is pretty nice, though.
    Penelope wrote: »
    It's one of the better game packs, in my opinion. I'm mystified why they decided to not include any witch hats, though. Like ... what?

I think to make it more modern
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Then they would have to add other types of hats, and hooded cloaks, and robes, which I wouldn't be against.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • VyStarlitVyStarlit Posts: 74 Member
    It met my expectations. Since it was a GP I didn't expect it to have a whole lot. I was disappointed about the lot size, but I find the magic effects, really pretty and cool. The areas are both beautiful as well. And I've only really done a little so far, but I'm having fun.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019
    WolfNate wrote: »

I think to make it more modern

I feel like that's not an excuse though. The classic witch look with hats and capes will always be iconic.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I would say that it has met my expectations. I am very pleased with everything in the pack and I honestly don't have anything to complain about that I can't fix myself. I've been happily playing since downloading the pack and I'm happy with it all :smiley:
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    First of all before anyone decides to quote me on some of this, Realm of magic did meet very few of my expectations which is why I chose that..

What met my expectations: The alchemy being able to make potions and searching for the the ingredients. Practicing magic and the perks that make it much faster to gain new spells as well as reading and saving on ingredients. The familiars (Specifically the skull and raven :heart: ), The untamed spells and practical and last but not least the items, build, buy and the boots in CAS!

What did not meet them was the mischievous spells.. They are just downright boring! The only good ones are the fighting one and the one that makes them wander aimlessly. They could have added better ones like one that makes your target sim very gascious like farting and burping a lot, cluck like a chicken or have them be randomly slapped by the grim reaper every so often.

In summary yes it did meet them.. But they could have done better with some of the spells.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• araefire_araefire_ Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm so excited to play with this pack more. I like the dynamics so far and I'm looking forward to playing out my character.

Also, I'm new to Sims forums so I'm a bit lost as to where this would be appropriate, but I had a cool idea. What if with this new pack, you can add a room to the exterior wall of your house that doesn't exist if you are looking at the outside of the house, but when inside you can walk right into it like normal. Like... a pocket dimension or negative space sort of thing? I could draw it but it is tough to describe and I don't know if that sort of coding even exists.