The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I am not feeling the Charm Family.

Comments

• Sheepiling wrote: »
    Simmify wrote: »
    Am I alone in not understanding what the big deal is about the premades? I mean, just like in real life, not every one looks perfect. And they are literally just characters you don't have to play.

For me, I really enjoy playing with well-done pre-made townies, and they don't have to look perfect. For me, they just need to have a charming personality and story to go with them. Vlad is one of my favorite townies ever.

The Charm family doesn't have any charm to them. They along with the two sages that work with Morgyn just look ugly and rushed. We got so many beautiful and unique looking sims in the Realm of Magic trailer, and then when we buy the pack they give us these ugly townies that seem to be thrown together in 10 mintues because "ohoho let's put classic witch nose on them all"

I would be more into an "ugly" townie if they had more effort put into them and were meant to resemble the Wicked Witch of the West more.

I think the disappointment among a lot of people, myself included, is us not getting what was advertised to us.

Also the houses look horrible. In the trailer Morgyn explores this amazingly beautiful, magical interior of the Magic HQ and when we get there in our own game it's empty and everything is grey. It's not magical at all.

Maybe it's just me, but with the gallery and the literal thousands of very talented builders on there I never feel the need to use EA lots , unless I want to of course. I also builds things for myself when the mood strikes me.

As for the premades not all being beautiful, I think thats ok. Most people in real life aren't "beautiful", but merely average, unremarkable. I like sims with plain faces too. Makes them seem more like average people you see in real life. I even sometimes like peculiar looking sims, because it gives them character. Makes them seem like they have more of an interesting personality.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    They all look like randoms.
  • RealTeacherPlaysRealTeacherPlays Posts: 40 Member
    I think they look okay... but they fought during Welcome Wagon..? LOL
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't have this pack yet, but from pictures, the two younger ones with darker skintones were especially appealing looking to me.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited September 2019
    Maybe it's just me, but with the gallery and the literal thousands of very talented builders on there I never feel the need to use EA lots , unless I want to of course. I also builds things for myself when the mood strikes me.

As for the premades not all being beautiful, I think thats ok. Most people in real life aren't "beautiful", but merely average, unremarkable. I like sims with plain faces too. Makes them seem more like average people you see in real life. I even sometimes like peculiar looking sims, because it gives them character. Makes them seem like they have more of an interesting personality.

I never said I don't like ugly or Plain Jane townies, but the ones we get in Realm of Magic look like they were just randomly generated. They look like they have no effort put into them at all. It's the worst with the mischief Sage.

This is what was advertised vs. what we get in the game:

image0.jpg

Also console players can't use the gallery. Easy replacement isn't an option for everyone. :c
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    Also console players can't use the gallery. Easy replacement isn't an option for everyone. :c

As a console player, I’ve become quite adept (not to mention swift) with CAS full edit mode and the nuke button. I’ll spend as long as it takes to obliterate the 🐸🐸🐸🐸, characterless garbage that gets foisted off on me. 😉
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Maybe edit them in CAS and change things around to make it more interesting and to fit your game?
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Maybe edit them in CAS and change things around to make it more interesting and to fit your game?

This is what I did. The charm family wasn’t too difficult, I mostly just adjusted their faces and bodies to have more natural proportions. I don’t usually fuss about how townies/premises look but the charm family- yikes. They had some crazy facial features.

I also edited the sages to look like the sims from the trailer to the best of my abilities. I’m not very good at CAS. I’m really hoping editing them hasn’t broken their status as sage, though. Haven’t had time to test it yet.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    I don’t know if I will delete them, but I will be taking their lot for two of my sims for sure.
    edited September 2019
    Lemon405 wrote: »

As a console player, I’ve become quite adept (not to mention swift) with CAS full edit mode and the nuke button. I’ll spend as long as it takes to obliterate the plum, characterless garbage that gets foisted off on me. 😉

My point is that you shouldn't have to :c

Editing lots should be something someone does for fun, but the version EA gives us shouldn't feel like they NEED to be fixed to enjoy playing in them.
  • AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member

I actually like them because they served the purpose for one of my new stories.... I have a child i am playing that just ran away and I wanted to introduce magic in my game through a long lost elder [grandmother] that already knew magic and was very high in rank.

The child's mother backstory was that she ran away at 14 to live with an older bad man she soon broke up with and was tossed in the streets years later moving from state to state she met a guy and had a baby they was only together for 3 months...

now she was a very unfit parent to the child so the child runs away as well but she only runs away to find her dad { he never knew he had a kid with her unfit mom until the daughter showed up on his doorstep} he has his own other life going on with a set of twins and a new baby on the way.

however he and his family is very loving and supportive to her and she actually lived with them for a bit til the grandmother { she never met} showed up wanting to adopt her grandchild...

grandma whisked her away to her home in GB to meet her new family her aunt {her mom teen baby sister} her uncle {her mom younger brother].

the siblings never met their older sister{her mom} but heard lots of gossip an rumours about her being caught up deeply in the street life :'(

Now the child's life has changed much more then she thinks... new ppl new faces all around..new found wealth soon to enroll in the private *CHARM* school of magic where she will attend til she graduates... the head masters are all the sages {morgyn, L, ect.. } i created a group and added all who will be attending.

how will she take it when she finds out that the grandmother and the rest of her family on that side all dabble in magic? :o witches? good? bad? secrets? revenge? what's in her DNA?

and what's ahead for her? will her mom show up? will this all be too much and she runs back to her dad? or when she becomes a teen in 4 days will she find love at the private school or turn her new found skills into HATE?

• telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    brsy wrote: »

I actually like them because they served the purpose for one of my new stories.... I have a child i am playing that just ran away and I wanted to introduce magic in my game through a long lost elder [grandmother] that already knew magic and was very high in rank.

The child's mother backstory was that she ran away at 14 to live with an older bad man she soon broke up with and was tossed in the streets years later moving from state to state she met a guy and had a baby they was only together for 3 months...

now she was a very unfit parent to the child so the child runs away as well but she only runs away to find her dad { he never knew he had a kid with her unfit mom until the daughter showed up on his doorstep} he has his own other life going on with a set of twins and a new baby on the way.

however he and his family is very loving and supportive to her and she actually lived with them for a bit til the grandmother { she never met} showed up wanting to adopt her grandchild...

grandma whisked her away to her home in GB to meet her new family her aunt {her mom teen baby sister} her uncle {her mom younger brother].

the siblings never met their older sister{her mom} but heard lots of gossip an rumours about her being caught up deeply in the street life :'(

Now the child's life has changed much more then she thinks... new ppl new faces all around..new found wealth soon to enroll in the private *CHARM* school of magic where she will attend til she graduates... the head masters are all the sages {morgyn, L, ect.. } i created a group and added all who will be attending.

how will she take it when she finds out that the grandmother and the rest of her family on that side all dabble in magic? :o witches? good? bad? secrets? revenge? what's in her DNA?

and what's ahead for her? will her mom show up? will this all be too much and she runs back to her dad? or when she becomes a teen in 4 days will she find love at the private school or turn her new found skills into HATE?

I love this! I may steal the idea for my own game. I wish there was some sort of magic school option in the game!

My main Spellcaster right now is a teen witch. My back story for her is that she was an orphan sent away to boarding school. The headmaster was secretly a wizard and he, recognizing her potential, sent her to a family cottage of his located in Glimmerbrook. But though she is now a Spellcaster, she still has to go to regular school. Which is OK, a bit like the Sabrina story, but a magic option would be lots of fun!

• MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Am I alone in not understanding what the big deal is about the premades? I mean, just like in real life, not every one looks perfect. And they are literally just characters you don't have to play.

For me, I really enjoy playing with well-done pre-made townies, and they don't have to look perfect. For me, they just need to have a charming personality and story to go with them. Vlad is one of my favorite townies ever.

The Charm family doesn't have any charm to them. They along with the two sages that work with Morgyn just look ugly and rushed. We got so many beautiful and unique looking sims in the Realm of Magic trailer, and then when we buy the pack they give us these ugly townies that seem to be thrown together in 10 mintues because "ohoho let's put classic witch nose on them all"

I would be more into an "ugly" townie if they had more effort put into them and were meant to resemble the Wicked Witch of the West more.

I think the disappointment among a lot of people, myself included, is us not getting what was advertised to us.

Also the houses look horrible. In the trailer Morgyn explores this amazingly beautiful, magical interior of the Magic HQ and when we get there in our own game it's empty and everything is grey. It's not magical at all.

Thiiiiiss. Ugh.

I haven't really looked so close at the Charms yet, but from what I could tell, they weren't exactly that interesting. When I first looked through the residents of Glimmerbrook, all I felt when I saw these folks was an overwhelming sense of MEH.

I'm not even sure how. Is it because the kids are all grown up and the household looked more like a roommate type of situation? Is it because their faces somehow looked cartoony, even from the thumbnail? Who knows! They just have a disappointing aura, somehow.
    It's nothing like the Forgotten Hollow vampires. All three of those were memorable to me. The Charms just aren't??

Enough about that, I also wanna address your point about the Magic HQ -- YEAH, why does it look nothing like in the trailer??
    Holy heck, it's so bland. And I don't say that lightly. There's so much empty space. Is this just so that it's easier to find everything? It's such a boring build... Where is the one we saw in the trailer? I want that one. It actually looked good.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I seriously thought they were random generated sims, lol. They all look so, hmm, unique. Then I noticed them among the other premade households and I were seriously surprised. Then I deleted them.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited September 2019

The gallery is nice and all, but the poor saps are those who play this game on the console. They will be getting the same awful lots, but they don't have a gallery they can go to make quick changes.
  • AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2019
    telemwill wrote: »
    brsy wrote: »

I love this! I may steal the idea for my own game. I wish there was some sort of magic school option in the game!

My main Spellcaster right now is a teen witch. My back story for her is that she was an orphan sent away to boarding school. The headmaster was secretly a wizard and he, recognizing her potential, sent her to a family cottage of his located in Glimmerbrook. But though she is now a Spellcaster, she still has to go to regular school. Which is OK, a bit like the Sabrina story, but a magic option would be lots of fun!

only if i can steal yours i like that route as well <3:D

I honestly believe university is coming right behind this pack for some reason this seems like a university type of magic i hate that we can't do seances and rituals with crystal balls and palm readings that's why i say this is more like a school for practice lol

so glad we can make groups though this helps far as changing the HQ sages into school masters for me as well as changing things around with the edit lot cheat and making HQ look the way i want it

also with another story i am doing where sims live regular lives and don't use magic for anything else accept for battling/ dueling.... the groups work well for battling in duel fights.. my group against your group type of thing and make HQ a full battle dome where sims come and see big battles so far so good i guess if this is all i have to work with :/
  • teajayloveteajaylove Posts: 175 Member

I'm really liking Darrel Charm. I had to give him a bit of a nose job and altered the chin just a teeny bit, and moved his eyebrows but I tried to keep most of his original face. I am renovating their house and my sim will marry him and move in and what not. I changed the blonde girl's hair and makeup and she looks pretty decent as well. I kept her preppy vibe and give her the curly Bowling Night hair.
    Here's what I did with him and the WIP renovation:
    yrY6Noq.png
    dh7nyuY.png
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I figured I'd give them a bit of a makerover. Honestly Emilia didn't need much of one.

Added a few more clothes to her inventory and changed her hair because that bob was atrocious. Changed it to a better one and she's just pretty adorable. Didn't notice she had buck teeth either.
    RECRAkK.png
    AfQ0SoV.png
    5vJrxmT.png
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    teajaylove wrote: »

I'm really liking Darrel Charm. I had to give him a bit of a nose job and altered the chin just a teeny bit, and moved his eyebrows but I tried to keep most of his original face. I am renovating their house and my sim will marry him and move in and what not. I changed the blonde girl's hair and makeup and she looks pretty decent as well. I kept her preppy vibe and give her the curly Bowling Night hair.
    Here's what I did with him and the WIP renovation:
    yrY6Noq.png

I love your version of him. This is giving me some ideas, but I am going to have to wait until after someone at EA fixes this crashing issue with spellcasters and CAS.

• happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited September 2019
    TkmIupn.png
    This is what a teen looks like, according to EA.

acJiOtw.png
    Yikes. Anyway here's a quick edit of Gemma. I probably went too far into normal territory when I tried to make her look more like her mother (Minerva actually looks delightful once you fix her eyebrows, we need more little old lady premades) but she is still kinda goblin-ish.
    Love her ears, why did EAxis hide them with her hair ? And she was the only one without purple eyes and freckles so I changed that.
    809RkPX.png
    6mWvN5A.png
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    Loving the make overs, I have to admit when they first popped up I thought they hadn't so much been hit with the ugly stick, rather they'd just stumbled around at the base of the tree it fell from. I like the grandma though, Darrel looks a bit like a hamster, or maybe he's the missing womrat in this series. He can have a tweaking but I'll be keeping them all anyway
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Yeah no, didn't like the Charm family or their house one bit either lol.

I replaced them and their plum house with these guys:
    BukXTTV.png
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'm already planning on getting rid of every family and house in that world and doing my own thing. Proper houses for starters. Magic families will come later, starting with my spellcaster to start her bloodline.
    Magdaleena wrote: »

Thiiiiiss. Ugh.

I haven't really looked so close at the Charms yet, but from what I could tell, they weren't exactly that interesting. When I first looked through the residents of Glimmerbrook, all I felt when I saw these folks was an overwhelming sense of MEH.

I'm not even sure how. Is it because the kids are all grown up and the household looked more like a roommate type of situation? Is it because their faces somehow looked cartoony, even from the thumbnail? Who knows! They just have a disappointing aura, somehow.
    It's nothing like the Forgotten Hollow vampires. All three of those were memorable to me. The Charms just aren't??

Enough about that, I also wanna address your point about the Magic HQ -- YEAH, why does it look nothing like in the trailer??
    Holy heck, it's so bland. And I don't say that lightly. There's so much empty space. Is this just so that it's easier to find everything? It's such a boring build... Where is the one we saw in the trailer? I want that one. It actually looked good.

I know that the SimGurus said they have object limitations, but I think with the RoM builds they just got lazy. Vlad's mansion looks very similar to the setting they used for the Vampires trailer. It's smaller than the mansion the dueling trailer vampires were fighting in, but it's decorated in the same way.

With RoM it looks completely different. The trailer had this beauitful witchy Magic HQ that was decorated with brick walls and wood furniture and had a Hogwarts feel to it. Then the one we get in game is just an ugly grey block. Even if they can't put as many decorative objects due to their limitations they're given, they can at least decorate it to look similar like they did with Vampires' lots. :neutral:

I also really wish there were more families for me to get attached to, and I miss the fandom references that Sims 3 Supernatural and Sims 4 Vampires had. Caleb Vatore was a reference to The Vampire Diaries, and his sister is a reference to the mythological Lilith. Sims 4 Base Game had a family that was a reference to New Girl. I miss the pop culture references that made a family more endearing to me, and there's so many amazing occult fandoms.

They named the mischief sage L. Faba but there's no one that actually resembles the Wicked Witch in the game. No references to Charmed, Buffy, Practical Magic, Supernatural, or Harry Potter in the families, even though there's a lot of Harry Potter influence in the Magic Realm itself. Morgyn seems to be a gender-fluid male version of the new Sabrina which I love, but literally that's it. I NEED FANDOM REPRESENTATION!!! There's literally so much they could have worked with but they didn't put any effort into the families at all. They just threw some witch noses on one household, threw trailer sims into the other, and randomly generated 2/3 of the sages. The only townies that I like are Morgyn and Grace. The rest are meh.

My fandom obsession is more of a personal preference that not everyone will share, but I still wish that there were even non-fandom townies that seem to have a bit more love put into them. I also hate that there's no children. They made a family with the magical bloodline trait, but they're all teen+. If EA wanted to show off that trait in a townie household that would be the perfect family to base off of the Weasleys. Have a grandma, mom and dad, 3 kids and 2 toddlers in there. And maybe actually include some things for children to do? That would be nice. Maybe they can't duel or use all the spells but having a few abilities like Matilda would have been fun.

There was just so many missed opportunities with this pack.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2019
    Drakos wrote: »
    I don’t know if I will delete them, but I will be taking their lot for two of my sims for sure.

That is one of the options I usually reserve for EA made sims move them into the unused families and repo their house, make an few changes here and there and maybe find some use for them down the road. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top