Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Realm of Magic Meet Your Expectations?

You might remember that I asked what your expectations for Realm of Magic were right after we got the reveal trailer. Well, now I'm asking if it met those expectations.
funny-gifs20.gif

Did Realm of Magic Meet Your Expectations? 273 votes

Realm of Magic exceeded my expectations.
14%
Akl500PIceyJvichasnosoulWrenryStilettoBlackWritin_Regsimm621Thunderbat87taffy550Ceres_Meirionaalanmichael1stilljustme21212playFreygeasmurf45blueWolfNateKatrina4CheekybitskristenleighwhiteXxAirixX 40 votes
Realm of Magic met my expectations.
43%
KamioicmnfrshDerellaRiziffySara1010PIcewolfLaBlue0314alan650111OolonglongCabelle1863aelias24sillehbeePhierakittenCamkatjonilla1PenelopedanacnbrettVibseAlrynnmcrudd 118 votes
Realm of Magic did not meet my expectations.
32%
CK213rudy8292heidi11576brackencat31Syl0271Draculinaalexspoom13qtnikkiSid1701D9overonKariussaDESERTFLOWER1981KementariAnmirlaBagoas77Jprp83icftlduAngelluluAmj1995marcel21 89 votes
Other. (because someone will always want to choose other)
9%
jeepjeepcatTheRealTacomamaBlkBarbiegalBeardedgeekMariefoxprice83Paigeisin5JesskiMsShaShaCinebarKaeChan2089alex_alex09Humility925taydevSelinaKylescatitude5CandiGir1BrinnTeslachick2ChazzzyJa_rde 26 votes

Comments

• WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    It is impressive I feel a bit annoyed at only Morgyn being from trailer... But whatever. I must admit compared to vampires this is a really impressive GP. Vampires got a talent tree and that's where all their powers come from... Casters however their talent tree is just 'buffs' to gameplay and their powers come from spells and potions which can be learned randomly.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    It met my expectations but it just doesn’t seem like anything I’m interested in. I was at first but then I really thought about it. I’m not a occult player, also no doubt sims from other worlds who have no reason at all to be there, will somehow find their way there. Maybe it’ll be something that satisfies me for about a few hours, but I won’t touch it again. So I decided, I don’t need it.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I love the different paths you can follow -- and that you can even supermax your spellcaster and learn every spell. And if you want a lower key magic Sim there's also potion making; the one bug on that seems to be that the potions have zero value so it makes no sense to have a potion shop where my other Sims can go pick up a potion, but maybe that'll get patched in. Overall, it seems extremely well done and thorough. I also like that existing Sims have to do a little bit of work to become spellcasters, but not so much that it takes a lot of grinding.

Having some computer issues currently so I'll likely bee shopping for a new laptop this weekend, but once I get it set up and everything installed (need to back up saves/tray to a flash drive) I'm planning a save game with Cassandra Goth pursuing the magic track.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I tried hard not to have any. That said, I did watch the livestream to see what all it was bringing, as well as the teaser and gameplay trailers. It is the first Sims pack I have ever bought on release day, as well. Not disappointed.

(of course there are bugs - that is inevitable - but I am confident they'll be fixed)
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    It exceeded my expectations. Both of the worlds are great, I like the fantasy elements it brings into the game for storytelling, and I love the phoenix. As soon as I saw that a phoenix was in the pack, I was sold and it already exceeded my expectations right at that moment.
  • KALIAMMAKALIAMMA Posts: 25 Member
    ita depressing how things turned out
  • meljonesmeljones Posts: 45 Member
    I'm having fun with it. I started a new game so it wouldn't have any effect on my other game while I found out what it's like. Glad I did since there does seem to be a problem with premades becoming spellcasters without my control. I don't usually play premades so it is not a big deal and I want this game to be mostly occults anyway. So far I like how it plays. You can focus on one type of magic, learn all of it, make it the focus of your life or just a fun adjunct to help make life easier. I think it is gonna add a lot to the game. And if you want to ignore the magical realm I believe you'll be able to do so with no problems.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    It's met my expectations so far. However, there is a light bit of immersion-breaking, and by that I mean that every NPC from past packs/base-game that aren't spellcasters are all in the magic realm casting spells, getting into duels, making potions etc. It's a tad distracting, especially when you see Greeta from City Living dressed up in some purple leather outfit and the Kim-Lewis's practising magic, especially since I know for a fact none of them are spellcasters. I know it's just to make the world feel more alive, but I'm hoping they fix it so it's not an invasion of the fake spellcasters.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    I’m going for other at the moment because so far I’ve done very little, the build mode is pretty sweet though! What I’ve seen is nice, so far just build mode and the magic HQ, but not really enough to judge.
  • kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    It is impressive I feel a bit annoyed at only Morgyn being from trailer... But whatever. I must admit compared to vampires this is a really impressive GP. Vampires got a talent tree and that's where all their powers come from... Casters however their talent tree is just 'buffs' to gameplay and their powers come from spells and potions which can be learned randomly.

Really? I was hoping the main sims featured in the trailer would be in game :( I love interesting townies. Meeting the cool locals is one of my favourite things to do during game play :)
    rnKEhBT.png
  • kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    It's met my expectations so far. However, there is a light bit of immersion-breaking, and by that I mean that every NPC from past packs/base-game that aren't spellcasters are all in the magic realm casting spells, getting into duels, making potions etc. It's a tad distracting, especially when you see Greeta from City Living dressed up in some purple leather outfit and the Kim-Lewis's practising magic, especially since I know for a fact none of them are spellcasters. I know it's just to make the world feel more alive, but I'm hoping they fix it so it's not an invasion of the fake spellcasters.

Thank you for sharing this. It is interesting. It sounds like the issues that are had with the GF EP.. Everyone is a celebrity and all worlds are over run with them. GF is my favorite EP but this issue can be frustrating :(
    rnKEhBT.png
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited September 2019
    It met my expectations, but I also knew what to expect by the time it released. It's still an awesome pack. Aside from the strange lack of proper witch hats.

I may want to replace the magic HQ, though... It isn't exactly the best build I've ever seen. Players can do it better.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member

Thank you for sharing this. It is interesting. It sounds like the issues that are had with the GF EP.. Everyone is a celebrity and all worlds are over run with them. GF is my favorite EP but this issue can be frustrating :(

No worries, turns out it's the old invasion of the occults from TS3. I honestly thought they would have gone the Vampires rout and not allow premades to be made into occults without your say-so. I'm hoping it's just an oversight and will be fixed, if not, there are always mods. as for the celebrity sims your having trouble with, there is an option to turn it off in settings under gameplay (iirc)
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited September 2019
    It's okay, I think I can work around it with mods but as it is right now, I'm not feeling it.

Everyone says my expectations were too high, but the truth is The Sims 4 has been feeding my expectations essentially in regards to everything else. A lot of the other packs had amazing features, that could have played an awesome role in this pack. I don't understand, and now I'm just sad they didn't use those details from other packs.

It's weird the pack did exceed my expectations compared to Witches in the Sims 3 Supernatural, But for the Sims 4, in the grand scheme of things, Magic in terms of the special effects, looks as great as I hoped. but the way they went about it, I don't feel like I can use this to tell my story I liked seeing them outside of my imagination, but to see them not casting spells the way I envisioned, is crossing the line for me. And that's what I mean I've seen animations and special effects they've used in the other packs of the Sims 4, that I thought would have been suitable for Magic.

But what ever, I'll manage this, just as I did the other packs. It might take more time, for my story begin but I'll see what happens. I'm really hoping mods can turn the tables here. I think now that magic is officially here I'm ready to look to those modders who tried to make Magic happen before, the ones I avoided in the past, and see what they do to expand this Pack. I'm sure I'll see a Lot of neat things that'll help.

I can definitely see people making More Tomes, for spells, and alchemy.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2019
    I expected the same amount of content that we got for the vampires dlc, which we got.

What I did not expect was my townies to get converted into spellcasters and show up in situational outfits.
  • MirkaKaroliinaMirkaKaroliina Posts: 147 Member
    I didn't have a lot of expectations to begin with but the ones I had were met. I know what the game is like and I knew what I was getting when I bought the pack so I'm good.
    cha cha cha
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member

No worries, turns out it's the old invasion of the occults from TS3. I honestly thought they would have gone the Vampires rout and not allow premades to be made into occults without your say-so.

I got the impression from the livestream that it is supposed to be that way, and its actually a bug. Fingers crossed it gets fixed. It doesn't matter to me in my current save, fortunately, but I definitely prefer having the control over these things.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • sunspritersunspriter Posts: 125 Member
    Super disappointing to me, wish I could return it :(
  • Realm of Magic met my expectations.
    So far I haven't had the opportunity to take a close look at everything. My week is really busy and I will not be able to get into the gameplay until the weekend.

Yesterday I just created a new Soon-to-be Spellcaster single Sim (named her "Hekate Mondschatten" ("Hecate Moonshade" in english)), and I still struggle with the outfits because I like everything and it also blends well with Vampires and Get Together. But unfortunately, everything ends up to be more and more Gothic, which I really want to avoid because I already have too many Gothic Sims and Vampires (although I love the Victorian gothic style).

From what I have seen so far in content images, I love the Art Nouveau styled furniture that is probably inspired by the Fantastic Beasts films. The furniture has a flair of the Golden 1920s, which is again inspired by the Victorian era and the turn of the century. I really like the designs and I would have liked a few more variations of clothing because they were really a bit lean.

CAS Spellcaster:
    Female Adult / Teen / Elder: 4 Hairstyles, 6 Tops, 4 Bottoms, 8 Outfits, 9 Accessories, 3 Makeup Options, 2 Pairs of Shoes.
    Male Adult / Teen / Elder: 2 Hairstyles, 8 Tops, 2 Bottoms, 4 Outfits, 2 Accessories, 3 Pairs of Shoes.
    Total: 57

For comparison: CAS Vampires
    Female Adult / Teen / Elder: 6 Hairstyles and Hats, 4 Tops, 4 Bottoms, 3 Outfits, 11 Accessories, 2 Pairs of Shoes
    Female Children: 1 Hairstyle, 1 Outfit
    Male Adult / Teen / Elder: 2 Hairstyles and Hats, 3 Tops, 2 Bottoms, 5 Outfits, 1 Pair of Shoes
    Male Children: 1 hairstyle, 1 outfit
    Total: 47

Although Vampire has less CAS items, it still has a better selection and at least the children were considered. But in itself, the two packs can be very well combined with each other, even if it sometimes does not quite go down in color. I already have screenshots of Hekate done, but I have them to run through Photoshop and creating my setcard.

Since I play in my native language, German, I find the translations sometimes quite strange, especially because sometimes allusions and puns are lost. The new Occult term "Spellcaster" for example. In the German translation it becomes a "Zauberer" (meaning wizard or sorcerer). In German this is a purely male term. The female counterpart would be "Zauberin" (sorceress) or "Hexe" (witch), depending on the interpretation. I know that "witch" in English is a neutral term, in German, however, purely female.
    'Spellcaster' is also a gender neutral term like 'vampire', but unfortunately that gets lost in German (nobody would use the word 'Vampirin' (a female vampire) in German).

But as I said, my first impression met my expectations and even if it is very fantasy-magical, it still has a lot of charm and also a bit influences of Wicca and Neo-Paganism.
    ORIGIN-ID: killedPersephone
    My Builds: Dark Dreams Architectures
  • BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    I'd say ROM partly met my expectations. We have different schools of magic, perks, Magic Realm and alchemy. That's what really matters. But there is so much more potential in this pack! No group rituals, no spells like levitation or weather control... And the alchemy system seems very imbalanced comparing to alchemy in TS3: Supernatural. A potion that immediately satisfies all your needs, on the first level and all you need is an apple from a local store?!..
    And besides, the pack feels very draft. The quality of premade buildings is awful and there are too many bugs. It's like they were going to release it on Halloween but in the middle of development, they decided to do it in September!
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Brinn wrote: »
    I'd say ROM partly met my expectations. We have different schools of magic, perks, Magic Realm and alchemy. That's what really matters. But there is so much more potential in this pack! No group rituals, no spells like levitation or weather control... And the alchemy system seems very imbalanced comparing to alchemy in TS3: Supernatural. A potion that immediately satisfies all your needs, on the first level and all you need is an apple from a local store?!..
    And besides, the pack feels very draft. The quality of premade buildings is awful and there are too many bugs. It's like they were going to release it on Halloween but in the middle of development, they decided to do it in September!

I agree with all of this. And a big problem for me is that they went too harry potter/fantastical beast, so I was disappointed before it even came out. I wanted rituals,seyances, rising of ghosts and zombies, ancient magic in general.

So I thought atleast the world would be cool. But nope. Even bigger disappointment. Slobby shady tiny lots and it doesn't even look as cool as granite falls for a forest. Empty and boring. I thought it should be something cooler like a dense foggy forest for the witches to gather and do rituals at night.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Katrina4Katrina4 Posts: 33 Member
    It's an impressive game pack. I'm having lots of fun, but really still working some stuff out. I hope someone does a full walkthrough guide very soon to make it all a bit easier.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Way too early to say yet. I’ve only played for 2 hours. I’ll come back and vote/comment after I’ve explored the pack fully.
  • BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member

No worries, turns out it's the old invasion of the occults from TS3. I honestly thought they would have gone the Vampires rout and not allow premades to be made into occults without your say-so.

I got the impression from the livestream that it is supposed to be that way, and its actually a bug. Fingers crossed it gets fixed. It doesn't matter to me in my current save, fortunately, but I definitely prefer having the control over these things.

It would be cool if they fixed it, but honestly, I have no idea, how. A bunch of townies becomes spellcasters so the Magic Realm could look populated. They didn't want to generate a new population for that purpose, I can totally understand this point.

I have some ideas on how to fix this problem in our games:
    1. Before entering Magic Realm mark as favorites those families you don't want to be turned to spellcasters.
    2. Before entering Magic Realm create some spellcaster families, so they could appear in the Magic Realm instead of innocent townies :)

I hope these preparations will help to defend the world against supernatural invasion...