Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Shadami wrote: »
    *panics as reality sinks in*

My baby is coming today!!! It's the day! I'm finally going to get to learn the gender. I'll be online sometime after the surgery to share the good news! <3

Congrats! I'll be thinking of you and the family!

so exciting . congrats.
    okay today its aydens turn. i was going to do it after work yesterday cause i know sis loves elsa but aydens reaction to aging up was less dramatic than alec. he took a nap.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited September 2019
    Acarb90 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I have a question. How did you all learn to write? Were you english majors, did you take writing classes, or did you just start one day and get better?

I'm only asking, because sometimes I feel like my writing isn't as good as others. I've been wanting to take writing classes.

I don't really struggle with dialogue, just with the in between writing. It's so hard for me to articulate what is going on in my stories sometimes :/ . That's why I rely mostly on screenshots and dialogue.

Hi @Acarb90. You asked this question awhile ago, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I have a B.A. in communications and a minor in writing, plus an unrelated master's degree. Classes can be beneficial, and my education certainly hasn't hurt my skills. I write all day for work in an analytical capacity, and I still find joy in writing purely creatively outside of work. I don't want to say analytical writing doesn't have a creative component because it does, or vice versa, but I do feel like they are two different types of writing.

The one thing I found beneficial about my creative writing classes was the camaraderie. We're all in the same boat, learning techniques, critiquing one another's work, trying to master skills and grow as writers. It was nice to have a built-in feedback loop.

However, if I am completely honest, my creative writing classes in college turned me off to creative writing. It took something I found to be enjoyable into homework... a.k.a. a chore. I received a letter grade for something that has technique and finesse and skill, but also is quite subjective. I was also discouraged by comparison to my peers. Everyone was on a different level, and everyone took the classes for different reasons, but for me, there was a reason I minored in writing rather than majored. And that's okay to be on different levels. I know this now.

I lost a bit of my passion, inspiration, and fire for creative writing. Post undergrad, I actually stopped writing creatively and pursued nonfiction writing for a little while, but that even dropped off after awhile. I stopped writing poetry and short stories, and to this day, I haven't been inspired to write poetry again.

Don't misunderstand. I actually really enjoyed my professors (and one in particular was a good personal mentor to me during my collegiate years), but he even told me you can study technique and read about how to be a great writer all day long, but at some point, you have to jump off into the deep end and do it for yourself.

For me, the Sims actually sparked an interest in writing creatively again. I started writing short descriptions for my images before I even knew there was a whole community of SimLit writers. Reading others' stories helps give me ideas for challenges, plot, structure, imagery, etc. However, at some point I started writing and I couldn't stop. The best piece of advice I can give you is practice. Write and keep writing and don't give up.

Don't be discouraged if you aren't writing the most popular genre, or if you think your skills aren't quite up to where others are because everyone's at a different place and pace. Your unique voice matters, and it doesn't have to be exact or perfect or follow some formula.

Don't be afraid to pull ideas from others, but also don't be afraid to try new things and experiment with different genres or styles. That's how I ended up with a mystery series with elements of slice-of-life, drama, comedy, and speculative fiction (a.k.a. Kass's series). I write plot-based stories and I write game-driven stories. Sometimes I write a mix, and even my plot-based stories are informed by the game, and my game-driven stories have a plot and some outlined notes too. Some of my chapters are more informed by the pictures, and some are completely pictureless.

As for descriptive writing, I've struggled with this also.It's good that you're asking questions too because that's a sign of a good writer, in my humble opinion. :)
    I feel like dialogue and worldbuilding are my strong suits. If you feel like dialogue is your strongest asset, work with that. I typically write a chapter without thinking too much about the description (or in-between writing as you said). Then I might let it sit a day or so and I go back and fill in the blanks and expand areas that need more description. It helps to let it sit because I can look at it with fresh eyes.

I tend to ask lots of questions when I'm struggling with description.
    *What is the POV character seeing, hearing, touching, (tasting, if applicable) and feeling?
    *How does the character's emotions and environment inform their thoughts, actions, and reactions?
    *How does the character's background and values affect their thoughts, actions, and reactions?
    *What other characters are in the scene, and how do they influence the situation?
    *What does the scene look like? Is there a scent? How do surfaces and objects feel? If characters are eating, what does the food taste like and what is their textures? What's the lighting level? What sounds are in the area?

I find switching back and forth between perspectives, even if I don't in chapter, helps me figure out how to describe a situation or environment. I might jot a few notes like...
    Character A and Character B are having a conversation on a beach. Character B has just moved to the area and has never really been to a beach before and might be distracted by their surroundings whereas Character A grew up in a seaside town and is acclimated. Character B might find their focus wanders to the seagulls overhead or the crashing of the waves or the laughing kids in the background running across the sand.

The chapter is written from Character A's perspective and they feel like Character B is rude and inconsiderate.

Perhaps Character A didn't sleep well the night before, and is more impatient than usual as a result. Also, maybe Character A grew up in a large family and they didn't receive a lot of attention and so they learned to say things quickly in order to be heard, whereas Character B, with a different home environment growing up, might want to take time to stop and smell the metaphorical roses and so they aren't pressed for time and are allowing themselves to be distracted.

Character A perceives quick and to the point as respectful of the other person's time (using the time they have together efficiently) whereas Character B perceives being in the moment and moving at a leisurely pace as more valuable. This leads to a misunderstanding and ultimately an argument.

These things may or may not be included in the actual chapter but they influence the description (and the dialogue and the scene as a whole).

A chapter scene might only be filtered through Character A's lens and their perspective can play a huge role in how I'd describe the scene and set the stage so to speak, but understanding Character B's perspective might influence how I describe their behavior in scene.

I generally don't write all those suggestions to that level of detail for every scene/scenario, but it can be a helpful exercise for explaining/understanding character development and growth and writing more descriptively.

In-game behavior and images can also help me interpret and describe a scene. For example, I might take 30 screenshots of a single scene, but only use 3-4 images.

A character's "whim" or dialogue choice in game might affect how I'd write a scene or tone of a scene, but I also pay attention to facial expression.

Even if the Sim themselves is "happy," their facial expression might indicate otherwise, an emotional shift or perhaps a "forced" happy. Maybe the smile doesn't look genuine. Maybe they are putting on a pretense to get through a conversation or an uncomfortable scenario, or maybe it has nothing to do with happiness and everything to do with a need.

Character B might normally love hanging out at the beach and talking about their plans for the upcoming week, but they really need to get some more sleep and so they are more easily distracted today. This is an example of what I mean by game-informed plot.

As for environmental description, sometimes I find getting in the right mood helps me write more descriptively. I might listen to a solemn ballad when writing a death or funeral scene or an epic cinematic soundtrack for a battle or fight scene or even to motivate my character to tackle a challenge in plot. Music helps me capture a tone and set a scene.

Also, it can help me to immerse myself in an environment similar to the one I'm writing also. (Like paying special attention the next time I'm in a coffee shop for a cafe scene or observing the sensations at the county fair for a future scene).

I enjoy people watching and listening to real dialogue and observing human behavior (and I promise not in a stalkery way in my corner with my coffee and notebook and dark sunglasses). If it happens naturally - I'll hear a phrase or see the way a family might interact or notice how a person appears, I jot a note or two. It doesn't have to be a specific exercise. I can observe while I'm getting my morning coffee or sitting in the doctor's office or during my evening commute.

Now we can't all do that for everything- like if I'm writing about ancient Rome, I can't exactly purchase a ticket to Italy today and visit the Coliseum and even if I did, it's not going to be the same as millennia ago. Nor can I lounge on the beach if I live in a landlocked state (I wish!), but it might help to listen to island tunes and peruse tropical pictures on the web or in a book or pour myself a fruity smoothie or read other SimLit set in Sulani. ;)

Please know I'm not knocking classes, but there's something to be said about the value of the experience, tapping into your own, past and present, writing what you observe and feel and think, and exercising your senses. Ultimately, find a system that works for you.

And you're not alone here. You've got an entire community of writers of varying interests, styles, and skills and at the end of the day, we are brought together by our love of the Sims. I'm sure there are people in the community who would be happy to give you feedback before or after you post new chapters also. I hope this was helpful and encouraging. I wish you and all writers well.
    Post edited by AdamsEve1231 on
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

My baby is coming today!!! It's the day! I'm finally going to get to learn the gender. I'll be online sometime after the surgery to share the good news! <3

Congratulations. Or is it best wishes? How about both! Excited for you and this new adventure for your family and for your new little one! Hang in there, @Shadami! You'll do great!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I don’t know what was the last chapters I advertised in here were, but dropping off the links to my last two chapters...

Also, I made a teeny playlist of songs for generation one. (They are a bunch of obscure new bands and one track from 2011 that’s just as obscure... cause I know I’m gonna get the: I’ve never heard of these bands, I must be old. No, I’m just kind of a hipster.)

“My Honest Face” by Inhaler
    “I Dare You” by The Regrettes
    “Cherry Red” by Ida Maria
    “Kingdumb” by Fangclub
    “Might Be Right” by White Reaper

Do any of you have songs you associate with your stories? If so, what songs.

I normally assign every character a Beatles song for example.

This is such a cool idea. I love the otion of assigning Beatles songs to your characters. I definitely have certain characters are certain chapters that are influenced by or inspired by music. For example, my Bella Goth story was inspired by songs from my high school years. Darkness May Dream was inspired by various pop songs from a variety of eras, Shakespeare, and Gothic poetry. I think of Davis from KCLKF in terms of pop jazz, and Gage as classical music. There are some definite song themes in LASL, like Disney songs with @friendsfan367's Ali and The Five Stairsteps' Ooo Child for @LegacySims2017's Joseph and and my Simself, Lizzie. I probably have more, but that's off the top of my head. Do your Rainbow Sims have Beatles' songs?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Congratulations. Or is it best wishes? How about both! Excited for you and this new adventure for your family and for your new little one! Hang in there, @Shadami! You'll do great!

i think both congrats on the new little one and best wishes everything goes smoothly.
  • kins619kins619 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello, I'm not sure if this the right place to post this message, being I am brand new here, so please let me know if I need to remove or post somewhere else, thanks.

First of all, pardon the TLDR, but I need to ask this.

So I showed up here because I am in somewhat of a limbo with SimLit right now. Literally 50% leaning one way and 50% the other...

*Ok, First of all... just to save everyone the trouble of asking... all answers for SIMS 3 SimLit are a big fat NO. I find the sims in sims 3 ugly as hell and do not want those pudding faces in my SimLit. So Sims 3 is out. Plain and simple.

Anyways, back to the original subject. I'm torn between using Sims 4 and Sims 2 for my SimLit screenshots. While Sims 4 has improved the graphics big time, yes, I still want to use Sims 2 for my story. Why? Ok, well I wrote a Sims 2 SimLit way back in 2007 and had just recently dug back into it, reviving the writing muscle and growing a fondness for the characters. Sims 4 just wouldn't be the same. Not only that, but I'm so familiar with the storytelling tools for Sims 2 and feel there is a lot more to utilize than that of Sims 4. Also, my story is based on a teenage couple, and Sims 4 really failed with the teenagers. They are just an exact replica of adults.

Anyways, if I wrote a SimLit but included screencaps from Sims 2 and not 4, would people still be interested in reading it? Especially since there have been a lot of creative props over the years, like the Sky of Totalitarianism, Pinetumblr's post-processing mod... etc. I can actually make really nice pics with Sims 2 beyond belief. The story is very well written, so does it matter that much? Or is everybody just too wrapped up in Sims 4 that they'd just ignore it, saying Sims 2 is just too old and outdated.

If someone can help me break this dilemma, I would be so happy. I really want to use sims 2, but on the other hand, I need to think more about my audience, and not just me. Are there still SimLit writers thriving with Sims 2? If so, maybe point me in their direction.

Thanks in advance! Sorry again for the TLDR. But I really need to get this out there.
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    ThAnk you everyone. <3
    It's been a very long day. My little one is a girl, and she is healthy, happy, and incredibly well behaved for a newborn.
    I on the other hand had some complications and I am very tired. But wanted to share the good news now that things are better.
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited September 2019
    ThAnk you everyone. <3
    It's been a very long day. My little one is a girl, and she is healthy, happy, and incredibly well behaved for a newborn.
    I on the other hand had some complications and I am very tired. But wanted to share the good news now that things are better.

Congratulations! So sorry that you had complications, but I'm happy your little one is healthy. Take some well-deserved time to rest.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
    tomorrow is aydens turn i forgot to put rylan in the game and hes part of aydens story.

i just hope i remember to write the part before rylan moves out. last time people asked beverly and alvin who.
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    I am taking plenty of time to rest when I can xD between feedings and blood work and ect. Lol.

Five minute power naps woooo
    Congratulations, @Shadami. Sorry to hear about complications. Hope everything works out and you get the rest you need. Welcome to the world, Shadami's little girl!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • mamasquirrelmamasquirrel Posts: 2,065 Member
    ThAnk you everyone. <3

@Shadami Happy Birthday to your little girl. Glad to hear she is doing well and that you are doing better.
    yXW40Hz.png?1
  • squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    vlVeBUQ.png
    Hey everyone! While waiting for Realm of Magic, you can check out the new chapter of Nightshade here! ;)
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
    i get to play today adulting got cancelled.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    kins619 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm not sure if this the right place to post this message, being I am brand new here, so please let me know if I need to remove or post somewhere else, thanks.

First of all, pardon the TLDR, but I need to ask this.

So I showed up here because I am in somewhat of a limbo with SimLit right now. Literally 50% leaning one way and 50% the other...

*Ok, First of all... just to save everyone the trouble of asking... all answers for SIMS 3 SimLit are a big fat NO. I find the sims in sims 3 ugly as hell and do not want those pudding faces in my SimLit. So Sims 3 is out. Plain and simple.

Anyways, back to the original subject. I'm torn between using Sims 4 and Sims 2 for my SimLit screenshots. While Sims 4 has improved the graphics big time, yes, I still want to use Sims 2 for my story. Why? Ok, well I wrote a Sims 2 SimLit way back in 2007 and had just recently dug back into it, reviving the writing muscle and growing a fondness for the characters. Sims 4 just wouldn't be the same. Not only that, but I'm so familiar with the storytelling tools for Sims 2 and feel there is a lot more to utilize than that of Sims 4. Also, my story is based on a teenage couple, and Sims 4 really failed with the teenagers. They are just an exact replica of adults.

Anyways, if I wrote a SimLit but included screencaps from Sims 2 and not 4, would people still be interested in reading it? Especially since there have been a lot of creative props over the years, like the Sky of Totalitarianism, Pinetumblr's post-processing mod... etc. I can actually make really nice pics with Sims 2 beyond belief. The story is very well written, so does it matter that much? Or is everybody just too wrapped up in Sims 4 that they'd just ignore it, saying Sims 2 is just too old and outdated.

If someone can help me break this dilemma, I would be so happy. I really want to use sims 2, but on the other hand, I need to think more about my audience, and not just me. Are there still SimLit writers thriving with Sims 2? If so, maybe point me in their direction.

Thanks in advance! Sorry again for the TLDR. But I really need to get this out there.

Hi, @kins619 ! I am currently reading several TS2 stories. I love them. There's never a guarantee you'll get readers. For me, personally, trying to get them or making my creative decisions around readership doesn't work. I've got to follow the fun, the curiosity, and the discovery. Reading your post, it sounds like you want to follow your heart and your love and you're looking for someone to tell you to go for it and to encourage you to do what you really want.

So, I say, Go for it!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited September 2019
    Here's something funny I noticed today. I saw that my follower count who follow my blog via email is over 600, but I have 21 followers.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I am taking plenty of time to rest when I can xD between feedings and blood work and ect. Lol.

Five minute power naps woooo

@Shadami Wishing you lots of rest and recovery time.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    tiny ayden update coming up. had to get rom first ironically i have yet to dive in to it.
  • XantheanmarXantheanmar Posts: 445 Member
    ThAnk you everyone. <3

Get lots of rest! Lots of love to you and the little one!
    41tidg8.jpg
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    @Shadami She sounds adorable! Congrats! :smiley: Feel better soon!
    oh i want to put pics on my cover page but wanted readers to decied which ones. i of course like them all so i can't decide.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Here's an interesting question if you were to host a birthday party (either your own or someone's else) were would you NOT want a birthday party to be held?
    6adMCGP.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top