Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

By curiosity, what "Spellcasters" add other than potions?

It doesn't seem exciting for me cause except making a few potions/magic and having a familiar what does it add? Just want to know how are you excited for it.
Lu4ERme.gif

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    No really excited...I am very curious too
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited September 2019
    It adds magic and spellcasters, ie witches. That's kind of its whole point. There's also a lot of build/buy in an art nouveau style and new clothing items, which is always nice.
    Post edited by Simpatsyann on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    It adds magic? That's kind of the whole point. That's why it's called "Realm of Magic". It contains gameplay revolving around magic. To brush that off is being a little disingenuous, don't you think?
    #Team Occult
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    It adds four different types of magic, alchemy is one of them.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    It adds magic? That's kind of the whole point. That's why it's called "Realm of Magic". It contains gameplay revolving around magic. To brush that off is being a little disingenuous, don't you think?

I was just peacefully asking what do you think exciting about it, didn't ask for you to answer like that.

Anyway, I just thought that potions and a bit of magic are not that exciting but if you guys can enjoy it I'm happy for you.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm excited about being a witch, really. I just love having a magical sim :D I don't like vampires because it bugs me they can't go out into the sun and need to drink blood and all. But witches are great. They can cast spells to make their lives easier, go out during the day like normal sims, aren't .. you know .. dead, can craft potions in their secluded little lots, hang out with their black cat familiars, and have a beautiful spellcaster family full of equally magical sims <3 I honestly can't explain why I love it so much, I just do. So that's what excites me! :)

ETA: in short, I can pretend to be one of the charmed ones.. :sweat_smile:
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    The magic is what excites me too. It's more extensive than I expected, and more adaptive to different playstyles, which makes me happy. Having played TTRPG's with truly extensive and adaptable magic systems, computer game magic systems are by nature lacking, so I'll admit my expectations started quite low.

And the Art Nouveau decor is just flippin' gorgeous.

I love Urban Fantasy in general, and this is just one more way to bring it to the Sims.

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    The magic, both potions and spells, is what's exciting. As a huge fan of fantasy that's the entire draw (well, the pretty in BB and CAS doesn't hurt but it's definitely secondary).
    While I love regular realistic play, the same way I like realistic books and movies, anything that has a magical element is just more fun because it's different and exciting.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Also new hair, accessories, clothing, as well as a stunning array of build/buy assets in Art Nouveau style, useful for all.

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

I was just peacefully asking what do you think exciting about it, didn't ask for you to answer like that.

Anyway, I just thought that potions and a bit of magic are not that exciting but if you guys can enjoy it I'm happy for you.

I apologize, I thought you were trying to be snippy in your post, thank you for the clarification, I misunderstood and shouldn't have snapped at you. I think I'm still a bit exasperated from the recent unpleasantness that was going around other parts of the forums (ugh :s ) and I've just wanted to enjoy the hype in this section for a pack I've been waiting two and a half years for.

So to answer your question sincerely, I've been wanting more magic, more Occults, more supernatural, more fantastical things in my game since it released. I think this pack has a whole lot of magical gameplay, even more than Vampires, which was a very well done pack (and will always be my favorite.) I'm really looking forward to using magic as "cheats" and shortcuts, like Practical magic, because it will allow me to accomplish things that would take a longer time to do the mundane way. I play rotationally and have a lot of Sims, so I can't skill or advance them all, that would be extremely boring for me. But to make several Sims Spellcasters gives me a more fun way to do it. I can't stand domestic or realistic play, or just grinding careers or doing "real life" things. I play to experience the impossible. I like to take my Vampires out and wreak havoc on the townies, so now I'll have a whole new way to do it with Spellcasters, only with risks of curses and magic overload, which I'm looking forward to. I'm hoping there are some decent club behaviors added in so I can have Casters practising magic in public, or having a rivalry with Vampires to create some more drama around my towns. This pack is something I've really, really needed.

I do wish, however, that we had Fear already. It really bothers me that Sims aren't at all afraid of Occults, and I really don't like the relationship drop substitute. It's a very bad replacement and only makes it more obvious that we should have Fear in the game.
    #Team Occult
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited September 2019
    Magic is a vital and ornate detail in Stories and my play style.
    Magic gives the game, a little more kick, and now that it's here, the game has only just begun.
    Magic adds finesse and it backs up my characters in bigger ways.

Werewolves need to be next, that's the other important piece.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    It doesn't seem exciting for me cause except making a few potions/magic and having a familiar what does it add? Just want to know how are you excited for it.

It adds another layer to sims. For some of us.

It is like me asking how some can be so excited for washers and dryers.

No one plays the sims the same way. I mean, I haven't played toddlers for more than 3 sim days since their arrival. I don't get it. However, when you add the weird in to the game with alien abductions and vampires roaming and now witches cursing...I can make my sim world as fantastically weird as I want. It adds elements and dimensions to this fantasy game.

It was never meant to be "life-like". If so, Will Wright wouldn't have added all that crazy, or carried on with it in 2. It was 3 that messed up and tried to be more "real". Maybe that's why 3 never appealed to me.

I've lived the whole baby, work, struggle, get by, life in real life. And that's NOT how I want to play this game. It's my reprieve and escape from the tedium of the every day world. THAT's why I want aliuns, vampires, and witches, and hopefully werewolves, zombies, genies, fairies, shrink doctors, and crumplebottoms, and everything else. It's FUN!
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited September 2019
    Well, magic IS what I am excited for, the potions, the spells (the bunnerfly!) and on top of that there's also beautiful BB stuff and some really nice CAS, also two nice looking worlds, can't wait to see glimmerbrook covered in snow.
    I loooove occults and as soon as I get RoM my top 3 occults will be in my game: vampires, mermaids and witches.
    I am guessing by your question that you are not an occult player?
    Which is fine but it just makes it hard to explain, I still don't get why so many people seem to want university as I don't see what that would add and I don't see myself getting excited for that (same as it was with seasons), it's just different people liking different things/playing differently.
    And that's the beauty of it imho.
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I don't like vampires because it bugs me they can't go out into the sun and need to drink blood and all.

but they can go out into the sun, just need to have the perk ;)
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    Well, magic IS what I am excited for, the potions, the spells (the bunnerfly!) and on top of that there's also beautiful BB stuff and some really nice CAS, also two nice looking worlds, can't wait to see glimmerbrook covered in snow.
    I loooove occults and as soon as I get RoM my top 3 occults will be in my game: vampires, mermaids and witches.
    I don't like vampires because it bugs me they can't go out into the sun and need to drink blood and all.

Yes I know, but it's not the same xD you still need to spend a lot or perk points until they're fully sun resistant and then they still don't actually like the sun. I've never been fond of vampires though, it's not my jam. But witches are!!!
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Ok, so yeah you have to be a bit of a "magic" person to enjoy it. I tried many times with vampire (and supernatural with TS3) but still can't get attached to it. Maybe it's just not for me lol.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »

Yes I know, but it's not the same xD you still need to spend a lot or perk points until they're fully sun resistant and then they still don't actually like the sun. I've never been fond of vampires though, it's not my jam. But witches are!!!

Ha ha, I get so worried about my favorite vampires that I cheat them up so they can go out into the sun. Sometimes it is difficult to be an rotational player, “ Move, what are you doing here! No no, into the building. You are too pretty to die”.