Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you still have hope?

Comments

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Worries not. M. Duke has some thoughts and wishful consideration to extend TS4 for five more years. *Deep tone* yay!

Oh, and the lack of any public announcement or allusions pertaining of upcoming legacy version leads me to believe got silently dropped/cancelled. No mention of it after it got post-pone, so... will the upgrade even happen?

Good lord that article is worrying. Saying things like the biggest issues with the game are about diversity and inclusivity? Going on about how The Sims 4 is "a special place" and that everyone should play it because they'll learn about themselves and about life, saying "everyone's lives would be better"? There's a huge section about the pride flag they missed and how essential that was. It's as if the game is nothing more than an agenda at this point. He even says it's "more than just a game". I'm all for escapism and creativity but saying it's going to solve your issues is gross.

I do find it funny that he says the technical directors working on the game are "terrified" at the prospect of it continuing for a few more years, that's pretty telling. He wants it to go on for another five years!

They're so out of touch, that's what makes me lose hope.
    Okay I have now lost all hope.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited September 2019
    No it’s to late
    Worries not. M. Duke has some thoughts and wishful consideration to extend TS4 for five more years. *Deep tone* yay!

Oh, and the lack of any public announcement or allusions pertaining of upcoming legacy version leads me to believe got silently dropped/cancelled. No mention of it after it got post-pone, so... will the upgrade even happen?

Good lord that article is worrying. Saying things like the biggest issues with the game are about diversity and inclusivity? Going on about how The Sims 4 is "a special place" and that everyone should play it because they'll learn about themselves and about life, saying "everyone's lives would be better"? There's a huge section about the pride flag they missed and how essential that was. It's as if the game is nothing more than an agenda at this point. He even says it's "more than just a game". I'm all for escapism and creativity but saying it's going to solve your issues is gross.

I do find it funny that he says the technical directors working on the game are "terrified" at the prospect of it continuing for a few more years, that's pretty telling. He wants it to go on for another five years!

They're so out of touch, that's what makes me lose hope.[/quote]

The recent patch release within this day, that made game prone to spontaneous crashes - supports the validity why technical directions are concern/hesitating to take and follow such plan. The. engine. won.t handle. content. being. cramped. when. its. not. optimized. machine. It be like overdosing someone with medication when they're not prescribed and are instead harmful, to their well being when they're already fighting a slowly killing disease.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    No it’s to late
    Felicity wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    Meh.

The initial purpose of the series as a game has been totally lost. Apparently, it's now in the hands of people who feel that they're saving the world, one DLC at a time. It's a tool for self-soothing.

The Sims series has officially jumped the shark.

The sad part is: if they want to provide a tool for introspection and analysis of self and others, they simply refuse to move beyond the superficial. A person's sexual preference, gender, and physical appearance do not determine who they are. It doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. If he wants to do what he says, more focus should be placed on delving deeper into personality, emotion, and actions vs consequences -- all thing that, IMO, TS4 fails to do.

EA needs to determine what the purpose of this program is and do the best job it possibly can at attaining that goal. Right, now it's not succeeding as a game or as a tool for whatever it is that guy says that he's trying to accomplish. I suggest as a first step, they hire behavioral psychologists to help add perspective and stop futzing about.

Superficial, superficial, superficial.

I completely agree. Excellent post. In the process of becoming a safe space where we can all learn and grow they have forgotten their roots. They have forgotten what made the Sims fun and now it’s a tool to use to escape your troubles and live a perfect life.
    I never thought I would see a sims advert not actually showing off game play, just a bunch of young adults sitting on stools talking about their lives as a way of advertising the game.

I vaguely remember on one of the Guru topics on here from aaages ago (back when the Gurus would chat to us) the Guru saying they actually consulted with psychologists to ensure emotions were done realistically. The Guru explained it in that from the moment we get out of bed, as we go through out our day we go through many emotion changes. I’m paraphrasing of course but I’m pretty sure a Guru said it because even back then I remember thinking “That didn’t work out well then did it”

Isn't that funny? I remember the exact opposite and I've been complaining about it ever since. Let me try to find my source, but I swear they said they didn't feel they needed to consult a behavioral psychologist because we all can see how people feel and react.

Perhaps you are right. I have vague memories of something to do with psychologists. Either way it’s a scary thought if they did and this emotion system is the result or they were too arrogant and didn’t and this is the result.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No it’s to late
    Felicity wrote: »
    Meh.

The initial purpose of the series as a game has been totally lost. Apparently, it's now in the hands of people who feel that they're saving the world, one DLC at a time. It's a tool for self-soothing.

The Sims series has officially jumped the shark.

The sad part is: if they want to provide a tool for introspection and analysis of self and others, they simply refuse to move beyond the superficial. A person's sexual preference, gender, and physical appearance do not determine who they are. It doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. If he wants to do what he says, more focus should be placed on delving deeper into personality, emotion, and actions vs consequences -- all thing that, IMO, TS4 fails to do.

EA needs to determine what the purpose of this program is and do the best job it possibly can at attaining that goal. Right, now it's not succeeding as a game or as a tool for whatever it is that guy says that he's trying to accomplish. I suggest as a first step, they hire behavioral psychologists to help add perspective and stop futzing about.

Superficial, superficial, superficial.

I completely agree. Excellent post. In the process of becoming a safe space where we can all learn and grow they have forgotten their roots. They have forgotten what made the Sims fun and now it’s a tool to use to escape your troubles and live a perfect life.
    I never thought I would see a sims advert not actually showing off game play, just a bunch of young adults sitting on stools talking about their lives as a way of advertising the game.

I vaguely remember on one of the Guru topics on here from aaages ago (back when the Gurus would chat to us) the Guru saying they actually consulted with psychologists to ensure emotions were done realistically. The Guru explained it in that from the moment we get out of bed, as we go through out our day we go through many emotion changes. I’m paraphrasing of course but I’m pretty sure a Guru said it because even back then I remember thinking “That didn’t work out well then did it”

Isn't that funny? I remember the exact opposite and I've been complaining about it ever since. Let me try to find my source, but I swear they said they didn't feel they needed to consult a behavioral psychologist because we all can see how people feel and react.

Perhaps you are right. I have vague memories of something to do with psychologists. Either way it’s a scary thought if they did and this emotion system is the result or they were too arrogant and didn’t and this is the result.

A guru might have said it, they say so much, but IIRC it was Rachel and Lucy who said no they didn't. In one of their interviews about not doing a good job in selling the idea this is a different game and not part of the series. Then I think they went into how this is a sitcom, or maybe I have the two interviews mixed up, but I do recall Rachel and Lucy saying they didn't consult any psychologist.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    No it’s to late
    Cinebar wrote: »

A guru might have said it, they say so much, but IIRC it was Rachel and Lucy who said no they didn't. In one of their interviews about not doing a good job in selling the idea this is a different game and not part of the series. Then I think they went into how this is a sitcom, or maybe I have the two interviews mixed up, but I do recall Rachel and Lucy saying they didn't consult any psychologist.

That's incredibly disingenuous.

If they wanted to convey that TS4 wasn't a part of the series, they should have left off the '4'. Heck, leave off 'The Sims' as well. I mean, it's not that hard. However, "The Sims", followed by a number, is what has been selling this series for nearly twenty years. That's why they continued with the naming scheme -- because they knew that it would sell.

If EA had come out and told the truth that TS4 was a departure from the original series, it would have been a totally different ballgame.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited September 2019
    No it’s to late

If they wanted to convey that TS4 wasn't a part of the series, they should have left off the '4'. Heck, leave off 'The Sims' as well. I mean, it's not that hard. However, "The Sims", followed by a number, is what has been selling this series for nearly twenty years. That's why they continued with the naming scheme -- because they knew that it would sell.

If EA had come out and told the truth that TS4 was a departure from the original series, it would have been a totally different ballgame.

I doubt it would've ever sold, why buy a cut down TS1 with fancy graphics and an emotion system that doesn't work?
    raw
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    No it’s to late
    Evil_One wrote: »

I doubt it would've ever sold, why buy a cut down TS1 with fancy graphics and an emotion system that doesn't work?

Exactly. Hence, the subterfuge.

EA is shady as heck.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    No it’s to late

They didn't say it wasn't part of the series, but that is how I took what they said to heart. They explained they had done a poor job in selling (explaning) to the fanbase TS4 is a different game and by that meaning don't expect it to be like the others in any way.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I don’t know i hope so

They didn't say it wasn't part of the series, but that is how I took what they said to heart. They explained they had done a poor job in selling (explaning) to the fanbase TS4 is a different game and by that meaning don't expect it to be like the others in any way.

Sims 4 is definitely an different game and is not like the others but I believe it is different for different reasons especially when it came to performance and the means to heighten one's creativity through robust features which for me Sims 4 lacks.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    No it’s to late
    I thought they might miss the Iceberg but nope EA went full steam ahead. After ROM it's clear Sims 4 is done. Call it a day and start over.
    I don’t know i hope so
    I thought they might miss the Iceberg but nope EA went full steam ahead. After ROM it's clear Sims 4 is done. Call it a day and start over.

Wait not yet, they still have an couple icebergs to hit before that happens. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Large iceberg coming apparently with the University apparently on the way in November. I assume that the bugs in ROM are due to the rush to get that out too for the Christmas market.
    I don’t know i hope so
    Simburian wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Large iceberg coming apparently with the University apparently on the way in November. I assume that the bugs in ROM are due to the rush to get that out too for the Christmas market.

They are sure spitting them out at an fast rate too.
  • mandyssims93mandyssims93 Posts: 122 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    I have lost hope. I just feel like EA doesn't care about The Sims fan base at all. The Sims 4 is just a cash cow to them. It looks beautiful, yes. But the game play is so shallow. And as everyone has pointed out, the sims are all the same, just with a different paint job. I don't think I'll be buying any more of their packs after ROM.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't know if it will ever be fixed. I doubt it. Sadly, for a lot of the player's I see a circle of hope, followed by hype, and then followed by disappointment, until eventually the wheel breaks.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    No it’s to late
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I don't know if it will ever be fixed. I doubt it. Sadly, for a lot of the player's I see a circle of hope, followed by hype, and then followed by disappointment, until eventually the wheel breaks.

thats so true!
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    If someone from the other side of the medal actually reads this?
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    No it’s to late
    The total lack of attention to detail and laziness of the team when it come to animations shows me TS4 will never change.
    I don't even wish for a TS5 anymore.
    I kinda just settled on using mods to make my game playable.
    Another reason why I'm pumped for new competition in life simulation games.. Paralives, Planet zoo, New Life
    The Sims is too watered down now :'(
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don’t think anything needs to be fixed
    The total lack of attention to detail and laziness of the team when it come to animations shows me TS4 will never change.
    Another reason why I'm pumped for new competition in life simulation games.. Paralives, Planet zoo, New Life

Talk about lazy development and you mention those games. LOL. As lazy as they get. Just look at Paralives. Wouldn't want it if it was free. To each their own though. One animation do numerous different things - how is that going to work right? Each item needs it's own animation separate from the rest or it's looking for problems.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    No it’s to late
    Five more years of Sims 4........what more is there to do after university is released honestly that hasn't been done already?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Yes i feel like this will be fixed
    Scobre wrote: »
    Five more years of Sims 4........what more is there to do after university is released honestly that hasn't been done already?

Judging by the Ideas section, I'm pretty sure "a lot" is the answer to your question. Not just packs, but also base game changes.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    No it’s to late

Judging by the Ideas section, I'm pretty sure "a lot" is the answer to your question. Not just packs, but also base game changes.
    I don't know I've waited 5 years for any of those ideas to be implemented and have yet to see it. Only one that did were toddlers. Last time I checked Gurus don't even read forums so sadly those ideas are useless if no one reads them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No it’s to late
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Talk about lazy development and you mention those games. LOL. As lazy as they get. Just look at Paralives. Wouldn't want it if it was free. To each their own though. One animation do numerous different things - how is that going to work right? Each item needs it's own animation separate from the rest or it's looking for problems.
    And why is Planet Zoo lazy development? (don’t know New Life but my son’s been playing Planet Zoo beta and it didn't look lazy to me)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Yes i feel like this will be fixed

I don't know I've waited 5 years for any of those ideas to be implemented and have yet to see it. Only one that did were toddlers. Last time I checked Gurus don't even read forums so sadly those ideas are useless if no one reads them.

Occult players waited for magic 5 years and it just happened. University fans are about to get that part for the game. Tropical world was on plenty of people's wish lists.

Whether the gurus do or don't read the forums (I used the Ideas section as an example of just that: ideas for thing that could be added to the game) they do seem to be aware of at least the farming pack and/or horses as a wish, plus definitely werewolves since people posting ideas on here also mention them on twitter and elsewhere, so the answer to your question stands: there's still a lot to do after University. And that's just based on players' ideas, the team likely has their own too.