The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Regular townies turning into spellcasters?

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »

And that's why we don't have the alien invasions like we should and what we paid for. And why vampires were toned down. And why witches will be too.

They complained that the in game dynamics were not "fun" for their happy, happy, joy, joy white picket fence sim-lives. They didn't want garlic on the walls, or satellite dishes on the lawns. And those of us who love the "weird and wonderful world of sim crazy" get screwed so they can play family time with washers and dryers.

Ah well at this occult is the most advanced one we've had so least they have more to do then vampires (in fact vampires only have a skill tree for their powers while Casters have two 'skill trees')

That's not the point. The point is this:

Don't want aliens? Dont engage in the scientist career from GTW. Use the in game tools of satellite dishes and freeze rays.

Don't want vampires? Don't engage with the vampire that comes knocking at your door late at night. And if you do, use the garlic wreaths to repel them.

Don't want witches? Don't go near the portal in Glimmerbrook. And delete the premades.

I don't like parenthood....I hate the kids making messes at every venue. Do you see me on here telling the devs to take that out of the game? Or tone it down? Or just plain get rid of it? No.

• graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    You want aliens..you also got aliens bar nights where also you can interact with them..I had to use MCCC (and I hate using script mods) to turn off aliens nights because they populated everywhere and used to that mind thing on my sims everytime..I had to force them to be disguised because theres a bug where they should be disguised in human worlds but not in their worlds (and that bug still isnt fixed) aliens where thrown in everyone faces who bought a normal "realistic" pack (GTW) and had to use mods, where you literally had tons of things to do in game to increase the chances of abduction..

Also alot of people are collectors and buy packs because of CAS+Build items..
    Nothing wrong with adding options like Sims 3 how to control occults..
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited September 2019
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    They only autonomously practice magic in the Magic Realm. Extra spellacasters aren't needed until you go there, so just don't visit and your save will be fine.

There will be premades in the world though, and these will likely regenerate as randoms if you delete them.

The way I understand this is in the Magic Realm you may see Bob Pancakes or some other pre-made autonomously practice magic, but in the other worlds outside of the realm you won’t am I correct?

So for example he might be spell casting his little heart out in the realm, then you see him 2 minutes later in WC and he’s just plain old mild mannered, hen pecked, gloomy Bob. Is that correct?

Correct. While Bob will be a Spellcaster in both realms once he is chosen to be one at random, you won't notice it in the normal world.
    I've asked how Favourited sims are treated with regards to this and am awaiting a response.
    @fullspiral People are... Odd and want the pack for build mode content and whine about fantasy plaguing them when they bought a fantasy dlc

And that's why we don't have the alien invasions like we should and what we paid for. And why vampires were toned down. And why witches will be too.

They complained that the in game dynamics were not "fun" for their happy, happy, joy, joy white picket fence sim-lives. They didn't want garlic on the walls, or satellite dishes on the lawns. And those of us who love the "weird and wonderful world of sim crazy" get screwed so they can play family time with washers and dryers.

This. I will again pay $20.00 for a pack and have $10.00 worth of features stripped out because a bunch of people buy it as a stuff pack and only want the BB and CAS. Features. The way I figure it, EA owes me money for nerfing the aliens, vampires, and weather related deaths I plunked down my money for that they later came in and extinguish it. It’s almost like running a bait and switch which technically is illegal. If people are going to pay for a pack knowing the features it contains and then gripe about not wanting those exact same features then they should have to turn to modders to tone down or eliminate them and stop having them snatched out of the games belonging to those of us who paid for them and enjoyed them.

100% exactly and you said it better than me.

The autonomous alien mind meld is nerfed. So much that we PAID for is nerfed. For the complainers who want stuff packs from game packs.

Thanks. This sorely lacks randomness and every time we get some a mall handful complains loudly and the very reasons I bought the pack...unpredictable happenstance ends up getting patched out. It’s depressing. Literally nothing happens in this game that you don’t absolutely force to have happen.

Exactly. It's depressing to see any possible fun and crazy get removed because of the extremely loud crowd of "realistic family players" who want freed babies and preteens and inbetweens and teen-adults and strollers and lawnmowers and proms and all that. Good God. Why can't I just have what I paid for? Why does what I paid for get nerfed?

• telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    And hopefully if Bob is the played father of my favorite alien toddler, he won't show up in the magic realm at all. Because Bob has quite enough to deal with in my game already.

The Goths, however, are welcome to put in an appearance.
    graventhe wrote: »
    You want aliens..you also got aliens bar nights where also you can interact with them..I had to use MCCC (and I hate using script mods) to turn off aliens nights because they populated everywhere and used to that mind thing on my sims everytime..I had to force them to be disguised because theres a bug where they should be disguised in human worlds but not in their worlds (and that bug still isnt fixed) aliens where thrown in everyone faces who bought a normal "realistic" pack (GTW) and had to use mods, where you literally had tons of things to do in game to increase the chances of abduction..

Also alot of people are collectors and buy packs because of CAS+Build items..
    Nothing wrong with adding options like Sims 3 how to control occults..

You bought a pack that you were up front TOLD there were aliens in it. It wasn't realistic. It was part of the scientist career. You were TOLD aliens can be brought in that way. And you were TOLD that you could repel them with satellites and freezerays IF you chose to become a scientist. It's weird. It's wacky. It's what the sims is about.

Don't throw "realistic" out there. The scientist career was added and pertained TO the aliens added to the EP.

Ah well at this occult is the most advanced one we've had so least they have more to do then vampires (in fact vampires only have a skill tree for their powers while Casters have two 'skill trees')

That's not the point. The point is this:

Don't want aliens? Dont engage in the scientist career from GTW. Use the in game tools of satellite dishes and freeze rays.

Don't want vampires? Don't engage with the vampire that comes knocking at your door late at night. And if you do, use the garlic wreaths to repel them.

Don't want witches? Don't go near the portal in Glimmerbrook. And delete the premades.

I don't like parenthood....I hate the kids making messes at every venue. Do you see me on here telling the devs to take that out of the game? Or tone it down? Or just plain get rid of it? No.

I never touched aliens or logic skill or collected rocks or became scientist (I literally avoided playing a scientist for this reason even though I'd love to play as scientist) and I still got abducted..

Vampires knocking down on all my played sims doors every day..and sometimes bites my sims in their sleep and the played households never interacted with them in anyway or searched for them on the PC

I have nothing against witches if they stayed in thier magic world and not spawning in my other worlds where everyone is living normally..married..or with their partners and kids

I haven't noticed kids making messes except in my own houses and that's annoying whether it happened in venues or in my houses..but if I saw them making messes in other venues I'd annoyed but a simple fix would be try to do any interaction with them so they stop whatever they're doing then cancel the interaction..
    telemwill wrote: »
    And hopefully if Bob is the played father of my favorite alien toddler, he won't show up in the magic realm at all. Because Bob has quite enough to deal with in my game already.

The Goths, however, are welcome to put in an appearance.

In your case, Bob shouldn't show up as a Spellcaster, because he's been played.
    I've asked how Favourited sims are treated with regards to this and am awaiting a response.

Thanks, I'm waiting for that response..if favorite sims cant be spellcasters, it'd be easier to handle..
  • JCStormy1JCStormy1 Posts: 67 Member
    Maybe someone will be kind enough to code an Opt Out radial, like they did for Get Famous, so that not everyone can be spellcasters. Then again, I try to be an optimist. :expressionless:
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited September 2019
    graventhe wrote: »

Thanks, I'm waiting for that response..if favorite sims cant be spellcasters, it'd be easier to handle..

I know it sounds like just a little prep before going in the Realm for certain saves for me if that is the case.

Lol.. it could even be useful. I could play or favorite everyone I don't want to be a spellcaster and then leave the townies alone that I'd like to pursue it. It would have to be on a new save though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    They only autonomously practice magic in the Magic Realm. Extra spellacasters aren't needed until you go there, so just don't visit and your save will be fine.

There will be premades in the world though, and these will likely regenerate as randoms if you delete them.

The way I understand this is in the Magic Realm you may see Bob Pancakes or some other pre-made autonomously practice magic, but in the other worlds outside of the realm you won’t am I correct?

So for example he might be spell casting his little heart out in the realm, then you see him 2 minutes later in WC and he’s just plain old mild mannered, hen pecked, gloomy Bob. Is that correct?

Correct. While Bob will be a Spellcaster in both realms once he is chosen to be one at random, you won't notice it in the normal world.

Thanks Emma, just wanted to clarify for those in the back. I personally don’t mind in game surprises. But I just hope this is understood so that maybe there’s a chance that spell casters aren’t patched out of the game like all of the other randomness already has.
  • BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    edited September 2019
    it's not always as simple as "don't want it? don't buy it." witches have been my most wanted feature since day one, i even have an old thread about them from years ago. i'm obviously buying the pack, but it's still disappointing that random sims will become spellcasters once i enter the portal.

removing stuff like random spellcasters, or alien abductions & vampire visits from the game shouldn't be the only option anyway. why not just have an on/off or frequency (often/not often) toggle like TS3 did with occults, strays, horses, etc.? or like the fame system in get famous. that's a total win/win for the fantasy & family types of players, and those in between.

i'm stoked for witches and i always like having the supernatural in my game, but i like it confined to my sims household lol. the fact that they aren't supposed to practice magic outside of the realm doesn't change that it's irritating and was a poor choice.
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!

I asked @SimGuruNick how long I had to play the full pack I will be paying for before spell casting will be nerfed almost entirely and am also awaiting a response.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    why would they nerf something? This isn't an mmo...? @Pamtastic72
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    why would they nerf something? This isn't an mmo...? @Pamtastic72

Do you have any idea what they've nerfed/changed/toned down/gotten rid of since the beginning of the series and what they've sold to us?
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Nope started playing 4 last year and didn't hang out with community again till this pack
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    Nope started playing 4 last year and didn't hang out with community again till this pack

It's a ton. People who don't want occults but want the packs rule and get their way and things have changed so much in the game from the original intentions of the packs. Those of us who want the weird and wacky and pay full price for it based on a promise of delivery have been shafted when those things get "tweaked" because of doll-housers. It's been happening since GTW and aliens.

I will fill you in:

Alien visits
    Fires
    Vampire visits/attacks
    Weather related deaths

I think there’s more but, I get so frustrated when I talk about this stuff I forget. But yes, they give a feature to introduce random happenstance into the game. A vocal minority complains loudly and then quietly in a patch unannounced in the patch notes they drop the occurrences of these features to the point where the barely exist. Features that were in fact advertised elements of the game/pack that people paid money for because they wanted those features. So now the only time something “random” ever happens in your game is if you work very very hard to absolutely force it to happen.

I will fill you in:

Alien visits
    Fires
    Vampire visits/attacks
    Weather related deaths

I think there’s more but, I get so frustrated when I talk about this stuff I forget. But yes, they give a feature to introduce random happenstance into the game. A vocal minority complains loudly and then quietly in a patch unannounced in the patch notes they drop the occurrences of these features to the point where the barely exist. Features that were in fact advertised elements of the game/pack that people paid money for because they wanted those features. So now the only time something “random” ever happens in your game is if you work very very hard to absolutely force it to happen.

Even some of the original traits you could acquire were changed. They nerfed never weary which was NEVER weary...and made it SORTA never weary where it just slowed how fast your sim got tired.

Remember when that was a big complaint on the forum?

I will fill you in:

Alien visits
    Fires
    Vampire visits/attacks
    Weather related deaths

Even some of the original traits you could acquire were changed. They nerfed never weary which was NEVER weary...and made it SORTA never weary where it just slowed how fast your sim got tired.

Yes, now that you mention it...and they changed the insane trait to “erratic”. In fact I think that was in the same patch, those were announced, but when they decreased the chances of fires starting and the rest on my list it was done quietly and people just noticed over time that it wasn’t happening hardly at all anymore.

I guess they announced the nerfing of the weather deaths too. To smooth the ruffled feathers of those who spun out about it.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I am going to make spellcasters in CAS in advance before going into the portal. Then they will look the part and the game won’t have to change too many previous sims.

This is easy, leave the realm alone on realistic saves and you won’t meet spellcasters.

I will fill you in:

Alien visits
    Fires
    Vampire visits/attacks
    Weather related deaths

Yes, now that you mention it...and they changed the insane trait to “erratic”. In fact I think that was in the same patch, those were announced, but when they decreased the chances of fires starting and the rest on my list it was done quietly and people just noticed over time that it wasn’t happening hardly at all anymore.

I guess they announced the nerfing of the weather deaths too. To smooth the ruffled feathers of those who spun out about it.

Sad. For us. I recall in my serial townie/premade killer save I had a sim that just wouldn't die. I gated her in a pool for days....weeks. She gasped, cried, glubbed and stayed alive. I put her in a very small room with a fire. She didn't die. I couldn't get rid of her! I've no idea why!

This game just wants happy, happy, sunshiny days. Pfft.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

I will fill you in:

Alien visits
    Fires
    Vampire visits/attacks
    Weather related deaths

Sad. For us. I recall in my serial townie/premade killer save I had a sim that just wouldn't die. I gated her in a pool for days....weeks. She gasped, cried, glubbed and stayed alive. I put her in a very small room with a fire. She didn't die. I couldn't get rid of her! I've no idea why!

This game just wants happy, happy, sunshiny days. Pfft.

She must be immortal because I just killed a Sim in a pool a week ago once his needs were all in the red.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif