Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Sims 5 in The Cloud in the future? Cloud gaming coming- official.

SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
Look below here. No mention of A Sims 5 but I expect it would come this way. EA are looking for testers for 4 games to start with. It could mean that a Sims 5 game could become enormous but still playable on lower spec. machines.

"The bottom line is this. Cloud gaming is coming. It’s no longer a question of if, but when. It’s still really early days but we’re excited to take this next step in our learning, and it’s great to be able to do it with some of you in our community. This is about enhancing the quality of our games and services for a cloud powered future. So if there is an opportunity to elevate the experience and inspire more people to play, we are going to explore it."

Comments

• Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    EA does have other titles besides Sims. This Cloud gaming could be for future Battlefield or EA sports games.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Urgh this is the future of EA titles, not the gaming industry as a whole. I’m married to a Game developer.
    I would be surprised if they incorporate the sims successfully in it as will require really good specs and a lot of Simmers don’t have it.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Can anyone explain what cloud gaming is to an incompetent?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    @Simanite it means you don’t own a physical copy of the game, and you don’t download a digital copy either. You create an account and play and store your games from a remote server.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    @Pamtastic72 Thanks for explaining. Gosh I don't like the sound of that.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Simanite wrote: »

Me either because if you have to pay like monthly and you hit a bad financial patch and can’t pay or should EA go out of business (not probable but possible) you lose access to your games.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Sims 4 is the last I am buying so it doesn't worry me. I expect there will be some safeguards for players though. To early to say but they need to be told what players will put up with and the earlier the better.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    This sounds basically like that game streaming service PlayStation offers. I like the idea that you can play on any device that has high-speed internet access, but I'm worried about playability once the service closes. I still play old games like The Sims 2 occasionally. It would be great if the option to use your local hardware is present
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I'm hoping cloud service will come to The Sims 4. Cloud saves would be so much easier especially if your game crashes and you didn't save. I'm assuming it would automatically save in the cloud.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Simanite wrote: »

Me either because if you have to pay like monthly and you hit a bad financial patch and can’t pay or should EA go out of business (not probable but possible) you lose access to your games.

Cloud service should be free.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I will believe it when I see it.

At the moment this speculation is up in the clouds! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Simanite wrote: »

Cloud service should be free.

and a ton microtransactions. EA must be suicidal if they're planning to port The Sims into a cloud game.
    y'all got bread?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I'm hoping cloud service will come to The Sims 4. Cloud saves would be so much easier especially if your game crashes and you didn't save. I'm assuming it would automatically save in the cloud.

I would welcome the option of cloud saves. If there's an automatic option. (not to start a comparison discussion but they did just recently introduce this on Freeplay)

Cloud gaming though, that's a whole different thing. Having the entire game online puts so many players at a disadvantage because it requires a good internet connection. Which not everyone who currently plays the Sims has access to. Maybe it would run on lower-end machines but honestly I doubt that it would be the case.
    We'll all be on ultrafast internet or 5G or plus? by then for out of the way districts with previously bad connections, who knows?

I cannot imagine what might come in the next twenty years as I never dreamed we would be getting such games as we are getting now. I expect we'll be cloud gaming and our screens will be wall sized or the walls themselves after the next twenty years and we'll have VR (they'll have got rid of the dizzy type problems by then) of some sort to feel ourselves inside our games or visit our relatives' homes.

I started with dial-up but watched Star Trek and we have now got the remotes and smartphones.........who knows what comes next, Larry Niven's "transfer booths" maybe, dial an address and get instant transmission there (if they let you in of course). :)
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

I would welcome the option of cloud saves. If there's an automatic option. (not to start a comparison discussion but they did just recently introduce this on Freeplay)

Cloud gaming though, that's a whole different thing. Having the entire game online puts so many players at a disadvantage because it requires a good internet connection. Which not everyone who currently plays the Sims has access to. Maybe it would run on lower-end machines but honestly I doubt that it would be the case.

I was wondering how well this works for gaming. I work in the cloud, and I've lost entire days when something went wonky at the mothership servers. You don't lose your work (a plus), but suddenly, you can't do anything until it's fixed. (And you never know whether it's just you or everyone, so you waste time calling the help desk, which will inevitably tell you to reboot, which only jams up the servers even more.) We know Origin can get stuffed up when there's a holiday and loads of people are playing.

Also, if they're doing maintenance or back-ups, there's no access. That doesn't matter much at work, since I'm not (usually) working at 3 am on Sunday, but I might be playing the Sims. And there's a fair amount of lag for certain things - I can get a cup of coffee in the time it takes for a print to travel from the server to the printer, and our e-mails apparently orbit Saturn for a while before landing in the in-box of a co-worker three feet away.
    I just want things to match. :'(

I was wondering how well this works for gaming. I work in the cloud, and I've lost entire days when something went wonky at the mothership servers. You don't lose your work (a plus), but suddenly, you can't do anything until it's fixed. (And you never know whether it's just you or everyone, so you waste time calling the help desk, which will inevitably tell you to reboot, which only jams up the servers even more.) We know Origin can get stuffed up when there's a holiday and loads of people are playing.

Also, if they're doing maintenance or back-ups, there's no access. That doesn't matter much at work, since I'm not (usually) working at 3 am on Sunday, but I might be playing the Sims. And there's a fair amount of lag for certain things - I can get a cup of coffee in the time it takes for a print to travel from the server to the printer, and our e-mails apparently orbit Saturn for a while before landing in the in-box of a co-worker three feet away.

They might get that sorted by the time a new game comes out possibly? I noticed a lag when I tried to play Sims 4 via Wi Fi on my TV. There is a lag of about a second which is no good when I am using a mouse. I bought a long HDMI cable and will try again later. I've disabled the internet on my TV now. It might be too soon using the Cloud for games but I like that they are testing it.

There is hope for some of us still who cannot hack the modern electronic world. There was news this week that an all electronic do-it-yourself checkout till store of Sainsburys' in the UK had removed them and gone back to the old checkouts. Too early apparently! Customers 1 Sainsburys 0.

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

This is all the kinda stuff that I'm also wondering about. It's one thing if it's only backups (save on your own device but have those saves regularly back up to a cloud service so you can easily switch devices without having to copy over files). But with games being played around the world, the servers would need to be 100% operational 100% of the time. There's not even a way to easily schedule service without running the risk of disadvantaging people in some regions (sure, if a company is, say, in the US, they can run service overnight but when players are around the world, when do you not disrupt service?)

Even now, needing internet access to activate TS4 is a nuisance. Having it all only online? Elitism at its finest, putting people with limited connections, limited data allowances etc in a position of not being able to play at all.

This is all the kinda stuff that I'm also wondering about. It's one thing if it's only backups (save on your own device but have those saves regularly back up to a cloud service so you can easily switch devices without having to copy over files). But with games being played around the world, the servers would need to be 100% operational 100% of the time. There's not even a way to easily schedule service without running the risk of disadvantaging people in some regions (sure, if a company is, say, in the US, they can run service overnight but when players are around the world, when do you not disrupt service?)

Even now, needing internet access to activate TS4 is a nuisance. Having it all only online? Elitism at its finest, putting people with limited connections, limited data allowances etc in a position of not being able to play at all.

I don't know about being elitist as in 5 to 20 years time the internet access might be sorted for all but it gives me the Orwell's "1984" shivers that your whereabouts can be checked at all times because you play a video game on all your devices and if the "powers that be" want to they will enable easy free access to all to do so. The more I think about it the more don't want The Sims to go that route.
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    I need to be able to install mods or I won't want to play. I'd also want to be able to play throughout the night, preferable without requiring the Internet too. I also prefer buying and owning things, I wouldn't rent a game (which is probably moot as that sounds unmoddable anyway).

I don't see this coming to The Sims just because EA wants to release it for some games. I don't see Simmers wanting this, and EA'd be smart to avoid that risk.

I wouldn't mind an optional backup service but I have almost no desire to play "on the road" without my desktop and comfy desk setup. It's also too antisocial to play while vacationing, even for me, lol. It'd only be a bit useful for when I can't sleep visiting family @~4am, not needed though. Mobile gaming? Hard no. If a game can port from PC to phone then that's not a game I'd enjoy (especially on PC). I don't think that was included, but I might as well throw that objection out there, lol.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
    edited September 2019
    I need to be able to install mods or I won't want to play. I'd also want to be able to play throughout the night, preferable without requiring the Internet too. I also prefer buying and owning things, I wouldn't rent a game (which is probably moot as that sounds unmoddable anyway).

I don't see this coming to The Sims just because EA wants to release it for some games. I don't see Simmers wanting this, and EA'd be smart to avoid that risk.

I wouldn't mind an optional backup service but I have almost no desire to play "on the road" without my desktop and comfy desk setup. It's also too antisocial to play while vacationing, even for me, lol. It'd only be a bit useful for when I can't sleep visiting family @~4am, not needed though. Mobile gaming? Hard no. If a game can port from PC to phone then that's not a game I'd enjoy (especially on PC). I don't think that was included, but I might as well throw that objection out there, lol.

EA are trying it out so it is good to get our own objections in fast. We don't want them to waste their client's money do we?

I agree with you on comfy setup whilst playing. I bought a smaller machine, for solo hotel stays, which was still powerful enough to play it but missed my large screen so badly that I gave up. I wouldn't like in future, any hotel room TV to message me with a "Do you want to play Sims 4" now? "because I had given the command to sync all available devices when at home. :#

I've read too many SF thrillers. :)
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    If there is anything that ts4 has taught me to expect about ts5 is that it will be a flaming dumpster fire.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    I see this as very possible for the next game. It's been EA's goal for many years now to make all their games online only, and cloud saves. They have had to take a step sideways now and then when it didn't look like they would have enough support from a fanbase to implement those things but it's always been the goal for the entire portfolio of EA.

Having to go online all the time is an inconvenience in my opinion (to me) and it won't be a game I buy. But no matter, with all their new followers for TS4 they will have plenty who will.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simskeletonsimskeleton Posts: 605 Member
    edited September 2019
    Cloud works off of the internet, right? I would not like that, as I have the "best internet" in my area, yet we still get random outages with it. That wouldn't be good in the middle of playing. I remember when I got my first PC of my own for my room when I was 12 and I didn't get internet hooked up until a couple months later and all I did was play The Sims 2. There are probably people out there who play Sims 4 that don't have great internet too.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    hate cloud anything so id skip but then again i am not too interested in ts5 either way and would probably not even consider getting it so it can be whatever it wants to be
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Cloud works off of the internet, right? I would not like that, as I have the "best internet" in my area, yet we still get random outages with it. That wouldn't be good in the middle of playing. I remember when I got my first PC of my own for my room when I was 12 and I didn't get internet hooked up until a couple months later and all I did was play The Sims 2. There are probably people out there who play Sims 4 that don't have great internet too.

Nope -- cloud gaming is 100% internet based. You lose connection, you lose the ability to play every single cloud title you own.

I really don't care for cloud gaming. Just sell me a good game at $60 and I'll be on my way.