Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• TheYayToastTheYayToast Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don’t know what was the last chapters I advertised in here were, but dropping off the links to my last two chapters...

Also, I made a teeny playlist of songs for generation one. (They are a bunch of obscure new bands and one track from 2011 that’s just as obscure... cause I know I’m gonna get the: I’ve never heard of these bands, I must be old. No, I’m just kind of a hipster.)

“My Honest Face” by Inhaler
    “I Dare You” by The Regrettes
    “Cherry Red” by Ida Maria
    “Kingdumb” by Fangclub
    “Might Be Right” by White Reaper

Do any of you have songs you associate with your stories? If so, what songs.

I normally assign every character a Beatles song for example.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    good news bad news. bad first my mods broke. which means no alex. good i can still play.
    MFA: Master of Fine Arts. It's a US graduate degree.

i'll have to look it up alittle further. i'm in the us but didn't go past highschool. i took a few college clases but not enough for a degree, so not sure what it covers.

sissy would have said look it up though so thanks.

i loves sissy but since i was fixing my game i missed her again.sissy is cathtea. :)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    What do people think of this picture:
    7QMxS1l.png
    6adMCGP.gif
  • TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    7QMxS1l.png
    Looks like an interesting party.
    edited September 2019
    7QMxS1l.png
    Looks like an interesting party.

it is.. it's going to be part of the "Look What You Made me Do Chapter.."...but that's like 5 chapters away at the moment
    6adMCGP.gif
    my mods work again. needed a new folder. hopefully after work mom can take me food shopping. no one showed up today.
  • Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    So, back with my thoughts, now that they've simmered all afternoon!

Like others, I learned to write by writing, telling stories, listening to storytellers, reading, watching movies, daydreaming (lots and LOTS of daydreaming), playing music, playing video games, climbing trees, telling jokes, more daydreaming, playing with imaginary friends, playing with friends who thought they weren't imaginary, spending lots and lots and LOTS of time alone, listening to music, thinking, being quiet, watching clouds, daydreaming, watching leaves fall, watching the light....

I think we learn to write by living in an engaged and curious manner.

And, @Acarb90 , you've got that in your writing already--loud and clear and distinctively! What makes your writing so good (and the same goes for all the folks who've chimed in with answers to your post) is that your life and observations come through your writing. The way you write isn't like anyone else, and that's because it's saturated with your perspective and observations.

So the short answer is: think. observe. live deeply. be curious. continue to live as you, and your writing will grow out of that.

As for writing classes?

When I signed up for graduate classes in creative writing, I expected they would focus on craft. I thought that we'd be asked to describe a scene from each of the 14-20 senses, then choose one or two to build a story around.

I thought that we'd sit in cafes and jot down overheard conversations and later work those into a story, analyzing the distinctions between actual conversation and what makes a conversation work in fiction.

I thought we'd tell a simple story involving three people from the perspective of each character.

We didn't do any of those things. Now an undergraduate creative writing class or a class focused on technique and craft might do those things--and those might be useful! You can also do those types of activities on your own, and books like Writing Fiction can guide you through exercises like that.

The program I went to was workshop oriented, so what we did was write a lot, read each other's work, and have our own work "workshopped." Thinking back on it, it was grueling and not all that helpful. The best advice I got was from John Keeble who said, "Say it once, with power, and then move on."

There was some pressure (though not from my two mentors, fortunately) to write in the current style, which was a weird blend of post-modern, modern, and minimalist. My style relied on more words, and stuck with it, against the grain.

One good thing that came out of it was meeting other writers and seeing that they're people, too, who happen to live deeply.

The best learning-about-writing came from my secondary emphasis, which was rhetoric and teaching composition. That actually touched upon the craft of reaching others.

In my career of teaching, I've observed that we learn to write in a way that blossoms when something opens up inside, and we discover we have a voice, we have stories to tell, and as we tell them, bits and pieces of ourselves fall into place. This can happen at any level of experience--and sometimes what sparks it is when writers feel they suddenly, finally, are allowed to tell their stories, their way. Sometimes it happens when they write and they hear their words on the paper--or they watch someone else hearing their words.

In the SimLit community, you can find many writers who bring something unique to their work. It's always helpful to note, for example, ways that others use dialogue, scene, description, and the interplay of picture and words. It can be just as useful to notice what seems not to work as to notice what seems to work well!

:)

Thank you!

This seriously gave me a confidence boost!
    THIRTYT(2).png
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    7QMxS1l.png
    Aside from that girl's arm clipping through that other girl's head, looks pretty good.
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm actually planning to change the theme for my Wordpress website. What kinds of themes do you guys use? I'm having issues finding any that I like.

Edit: Nevermind, I found one that I like... um, is there a way to delete this post?
    i didn't tell mom i ordered a reborn. itshould be intrrsting its to late to cancel cause she comes in 2 weeks. its the closest i can get to having a kid.
    what would be a good "hook" line for David Bowie's Labyrinth movie review?
    6adMCGP.gif
    alec is mad at me . he aged to teeen without a birthday party. my optioons reset on their own i didn't know that thats not even the weird part. hes not first or second in the birth order hes.......4th. right after the triplets.
    hello?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    In my career of teaching, I've observed that we learn to write in a way that blossoms when something opens up inside, and we discover we have a voice, we have stories to tell, and as we tell them, bits and pieces of ourselves fall into place.
    How beautifully put. I agree wholeheartedly. Writing is like piecing together part of yourself you didn't know had been incomplete until you started.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
    new chapter!
    cSCnsi5.jpg
    6adMCGP.gif
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    @CathyTea

Remind me to keep all that in mind; it may be of great use in my future writing endeavors.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    okay i'm jealous. i moved anthony in with his girlfriend. more on that tomorrow. but heres the thing. shes a teeen with no job and has a house with 4 bedrooms and 3 baths. on her own.

so her house is better than my apartment. even noel and lauren only have 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. but i was like i should not move him out he suffers from depression. its alec fault theres not a update on that. but i moved him out anyway now i'm depressed and hes suprislingly happy.
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    *panics as reality sinks in*

My baby is coming today!!! It's the day! I'm finally going to get to learn the gender. I'll be online sometime after the surgery to share the good news! <3
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Shadami wrote: »

My baby is coming today!!! It's the day! I'm finally going to get to learn the gender. I'll be online sometime after the surgery to share the good news! <3

Best of luck! I'm sure everything will go well! :)
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • lillibattenberglillibattenberg Posts: 1,280 Member

All my love and best wishes to you and your soon-to-grow family! :)
    Jacob_Banner.png
  • mamasquirrelmamasquirrel Posts: 2,065 Member

Congratulations! Sending positive thoughts for a healthy baby and mommy. I know you can't wait to meet them and hold them. <3
    yXW40Hz.png?1

Congratulations and best wishes!
    Starting the week with another update. This one is a dark one. Setting the trigger warning here: If you're not comfortable reading a story with domestic violence, this chapter isn't for you.

This is the last dramatic chapter of this generation. After this we're back to fluffy rainbow cotton candy as normal.

Also... I changed my Wordpress theme over the weekend and gave the whole blog a revamp. Let me know what you think of the new site!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

Congrats! I'll be thinking of you and the family!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top