Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Native American Cultural Content

You think they can some Native American cultural content? I get there are many different tribes with their own cultures so it would be impossible to add everything; but there is some feedback and suggestions.

Fry Bread recipe
Hopi kachina dolls
Jingle dress (often worn at Pow wows and for dancing)
Adobe and Southwestern style houses and furniture
Maybe certain hairstyles (the Princess Leia wig can sort of work if turned into an actual hair style as it was most likely inspired by the Hopi).
clothing and jewelry with bead work (if that is possible) or turquoises jewelry
bolo ties which can be used by so many people in general, works well for sims living in Oasis Springs
Pottery and woven rugs, baskets, etc....

Even dream catchers that can be used in nurseries like mobiles are and maybe help keep monsters under the bed away (as they are meant to protect from nightmares, so it can add an extra bonus interaction similar to parents spraying the bed.

I am sure others can help give some ideas or tell them what best to avoid (think stay away from warbonnets as they aren't something worn by everyone and have to be earned and things like that, so stick with more common traditional or neo-traditional items as that would be the best way to add things without causing problems); but it would be nice to at least see them try.

Comments

• Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Some Native American and First Nations items are considered sacred and are not to be portrayed in such a trivial manner. This game is already too "Disney Princess" for words -- don't make it even worse and more offensive.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    @Stdlr9 they had dream catchers and totems before in previous games. Maybe if EA did something simliar to what Disney did with Mona and discussed what could be added Native Americans by discussing it with different Native American tribes (hopefully including Northen ones like the Nunavut's)?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited September 2019
    I remember the ts3 store had a "Native American" set many NA Simmers dislike it. The execution was poorly done. Plus it was based around Thanksgiving or breaking bread with the pilgrims which rubbed NA the wrong way.I think if they did it right it could be something we could have. My grandmother is NA and many friends o grew up with were and so was stepfather.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I’d like Native American content :) But it would have to be done with several tribes aproval and in a respectful way.
  • Kristy983Kristy983 Posts: 26 Member
    I get what OP is asking for and I do think native people need representation, but this one would be difficult. "Native American" isn't one culture. Every tribe is different, with different ceremonies, cultural practices, languages, etc. On top of that, native people are already seen as "characters" or "costumes." White women love dressing up in headdresses for music festivals. Sports teams still use native imagery for mascots and team names. I just don't trust EA to be as respectful as possible when trying to represent native people. They would have to consult with various tribes as to what designs they could use for CAS or BB. They would have to be sure to note which items came from which tribes. I am just not sure that EA would put the effort in to do things correctly.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited September 2019
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Some Native American and First Nations items are considered sacred and are not to be portrayed in such a trivial manner. This game is already too "Disney Princess" for words -- don't make it even worse and more offensive.

You don't get to speak for us. I want Native American items for my own ancestry and if others can have items, why can't I? They should listen to my wishes at least.

We are allowed to ask for things, so at least let us. This is also why we give feedback to help them out.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I would like Native American content too. Iroquois live in long house, wear two braids when unmarried and a single braid for married.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »
    I would like Native American content too. Iroquois live in long house, wear two braids when unmarried and a single braid for married.

Thanks for that support. There is a lot of things they can do as not every thing is sacred. That is why I suggested what they should avoid. Anyone can have different houses really, so these things can be added in build and buy mode easily. Might not be perfect or exactly the same but if they can give us different textures for walls and roofs at least, it is a start and gives people even more room to build creative lots.

Also some hairstyles won't be that complex either. They already got some braids, a Princess Leia wig and some mohawks. Just a bit of tweaking, they can give us more hair. The men especially need more hair in general.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    If they wanted to commit resources to it (and it would end up being a big project), I think they could. EA did one thing right with the Muslim content - they asked for opinions on a good way to represent them. The same thing could be applied to the Tribes in geographical blocks. Ask them directly would you like to work with us on adding a set number of items that represent tribes in your area. Obviously this would be a long term thing as there are a lot of tribes in the Americas, but I do think it could be done. The items would also have to be voluntary down load as some things would likely wander into unmentionable topic territory, but I for one would love to see this done. I was not a fan of the set that was put out for the Sims 3, I didn't like how they went about it. I didn't buy until it was on a deep sale. Yes, it would take a while to do this project, but personally, I think it's worth consideration.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2019
    Repo wrote: »
    If they wanted to commit resources to it (and it would end up being a big project), I think they could. EA did one thing right with the Muslim content - they asked for opinions on a good way to represent them. The same thing could be applied to the Tribes in geographical blocks. Ask them directly would you like to work with us on adding a set number of items that represent tribes in your area. Obviously this would be a long term thing as there are a lot of tribes in the Americas, but I do think it could be done. The items would also have to be voluntary down load as some things would likely wander into unmentionable topic territory, but I for one would love to see this done. I was not a fan of the set that was put out for the Sims 3, I didn't like how they went about it. I didn't buy until it was on a deep sale. Yes, it would take a while to do this project, but personally, I think it's worth consideration.

First mistake of the Sims 3 pack -- it's celebrating Thanksgiving. You already know they probably didn't talk to too many NAs about this. The really dumb this is that the pack has some nice items in it, but they should have left out the pilgrims and the Thanksgiving theme. I think a Native American pack could be done very well, tbh.

Edit: I think my main problem with the Muslim pack may be just a silly one, but I think they should have included a black catsuit in the legging category to open up more outfits while remaining respectful. I see that a lot here, especially with girls in middle and high school and with store clerks and other uniformed jobs.
    How to do you go about asking them directly? I saw a way to report bugs but not sure they have like a feedback forum to fill out to give them ideas and all that.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    How to do you go about asking them directly? I saw a way to report bugs but not sure they have like a feedback forum to fill out to give them ideas and all that.

You're in the feedback section. Other than that, maybe just start contacting the devs directly on twitter. Some people may see it and pick up on it.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    The idea corner is also a place to ask for and give suggestions for content. It does work sometimes. We just got content that's been repeatedly asked for. Nothing wrong with asking for content and getting support form others for your ideas.
    So far I sent a tweet asking them about it, so I can see how that goes or maybe see if they can move this to the idea corner.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    My mother was Native American. I would completely support this.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I would love this content, and there is a right way for EA to go about it. In the same way that they talked to trans/Muslim organisations about the transgender and Muslim updates, they could talk to Native American organisations about how to do it respectfully.
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    edited September 2019

You don't get to speak for us. I want Native American items for my own ancestry and if others can have items, why can't I? They should listen to my wishes at least.

We are allowed to ask for things, so at least let us. This is also why we give feedback to help them out.

Agreed. I would like this as well. My grandmother was Apache so if they can do others than why not Native Americans.

https://www.diversitybestpractices.com/news-articles/top-native-american-organizations-to-know
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited September 2019

And how do you know I'm not part First Nations or Native American? You don't. The attitude of "Waaah, if others can have items, why can't I?" sounds like 3-year-old. lol

Edited to add: please note that I said in my earlier comment that SOME items are sacred, not all. It varies among tribes and individual indigenous, so what is offensive to one might not be to another. Headdresses ("war bonnets," sheesh) are a perfect example.
    Post edited by Stdlr9 on
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member

I am also Native American and I would like to be represented as well, I happen to think it is a great idea, and hope that Native American items and new hair as well as clothes, jewelry get added in, with what We already have in the game, I have made characters and families for My game in My gallery, so it would be nice to be able to redo them or add in more to My gallery, :)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm not but my Cousin's Mother-in-law is. And with a new law that got passed recently in Canada, it means the Cousin's mother-in-law can passed down her Native to her husband (My cousin-in-law) and her granddaughter. So I would be interested in it as well.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited September 2019
    I am Native American and as long as it's not a sacred item I would have no problem with Native American content I don't have to hunt for as CC. Every culture should be recognized in the game. Whether it's the pale Scandanavian or African with super dark skin and everybody in between. I find it offensive when companies go all "Disney Princess" or manage to to be extremely racist and offensive and insensitive towards other cultures. Especially when it's somebody who knows nothing of that culture.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    I am Native American and as long as it's not a sacred item I would have no problem with Native American content I don't have to hunt for as CC. Every culture should be recognized in the game. Whether it's the pale Scandanavian or African with super dark skin and everybody in between. I find it offensive when companies go all "Disney Princess" or manage to to be extremely racist and offensive and insensitive towards other cultures. Especially when it's somebody who knows nothing of that culture.
    Yeah I really hope they talk to experts about it first. Good point about sacred items.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I don’t mind a few of them but I wouldn’t want to see the Native American headdress being worn by everyone. It is a sacred item and only to be used by those deserving.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • puertoricanthangpuertoricanthang Posts: 88 Member
    In my opinion the sims team did a really lovely job with the Polynesian culture in Island Living and also the Meso-American Omiscans even though we got very little of that content in Jungle Adventure. It will probably be difficult but if they work along side Indigenous North Americans and do research they will probably be able to produce content that will be well done and accurate.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Pocahontas & Prairie Cree clothing, accessories, hairstyles, objects & Native build modes.