Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Separate pack for RELIGIOUS content.

To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
edited September 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
To whom it may concern, sim gurus, programmers etc

Please could you put the CLEARLY Muslim content recently added into the game into a separate pack for the simmers that want to use the content.

I would not give you real money for it, so I do not appreciate it being forced upon me. While I can appreciate the need you feel to ‘include’ everyone, this is not the way to do it. If you want to add more religious content, totally fine, but make it optional please.

I am currently unable to stop my townie sims from randomly spawning as elves, Santa’s, bears, and god knows what else, what is to stop hijabs from doing the same? I am not religious and this item is notoriously linked to Islam where I’m from, when I see it I’ll think of Islam. I do not want to think of ANY religion while I’m playing The Sims. It goes against what I personally believe. If you do, that’s fine, but I don’t.

As a PAYING customer I am serious when I make this post. I do not want the items removed completely, just made optional. This is not a dig, a way to bring down Islam (I hate ALL religions), I just want the items made optional.

Please can you listen, just for once in the 5 years of this game? Thank you.

—T

Edit: typos
Post edited by To7m on

Comments

• XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited September 2019
    That would be the best way to go about. That way the people who want it can still have it and those who don't want to have some items won't be forced to have in their game. They really should of done that instead as that would of pleased more fans and been a much better move on their part. That just what most people want, to have the option and choice to add it or not. That's fair as The Sims should be about choices and possibilities (just like not all simmers like occult sims or want University, etc...and avoid those packs).

Probably too late now; but something for them to think about in the future.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    That would be the best way to go about. That way the people who want it can still have it and those who don't want to have some items won't be forced to have in their game. They really should of done that instead as that would of pleased more fans and been a much better move on their part. That just what most people want, to have the option and choice to add it or not. That's fair as The Sims should be about choices and possibilities (just like not all simmers like occult sims or want University, etc...and avoid those packs).

Probably too late now; but something for them to think about in the future.

Yes. Precisely. I have no problem if people want to use this stuff. Totally fine. I just don’t want it in my game. That’s all.

This really should be optional content.

—T
  • FaridahFaridah Posts: 171 Member
    To7m wrote: »

Yes. Precisely. I have no problem if people want to use this stuff. Totally fine. I just don’t want it in my game. That’s all.

This really should be optional content.

—T

I totally agree with you. Obviously Maxis isn't able anymore to give the players an option to disable unwanted content like they could do during the time of Sims 3.
    I thing your solution is best.

opxgs7vn.jpg
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    A separate pack might be the best solution. The concept itself doesn't bother me. I only wish that more time was spent on game mechanics like an attraction system or something.

Not for nothing, though. I haven't been able to find a decent cc outfit for a priest/minister for screenshots of weddings. If EA made an official one, I'd be cool with it.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Only if it was free content that we could choose to download.

I don't want to pay for something like this, and I don't feel like we should have to pay.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2019
    They would need to do it across the board for Victorian and Medieval content too. Honestly I like it. Reminds me of the headwear my Russian co-worker would wear too, so no headwear is not just a Muslim thing, but other cultures wear it too.

I do think the townies generating outfits does need an optional tool added to it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    To me it doesn't look like the Russian headwear as they tie it under their chin. Maybe sunglasses would help the illusion with celebrity sims; but it is really hard without it looking like it ties.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    They would need to do it across the board for Victorian and Medieval content too. Honestly I like it. Reminds me of the headwear my Russian co-worker would wear too, so no headwear is not just a Muslim thing, but other cultures wear it too.

I do think the townies generating outfits does need an optional tool added to it.

You know, I would have loved it had they had more head coverings. I don't think most cultures have women covering their necks and well as their heads. Though there is this one woman at the hospital where my dad gets his chemo and I can't figure out if she's Muslim or a nun so there's that.
    Felicity wrote: »

You know, I would have loved it had they had more head coverings. I don't think most cultures have women covering their necks and well as their heads. Though there is this one woman at the hospital where my dad gets his chemo and I can't figure out if she's Muslim or a nun so there's that.
    I would like it too. It is still mandatory in some places.
    https://www.rbth.com/society/2016/10/24/where-in-russia-do-women-wear-a-hijab_641551

Sorry about your dad. Headwear is different for nuns. My grandma almost became one. I know a lot of Mennonite in my area wear head coverings and long skirts where I live.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    What bothers me is that they include religions items but me having hope of any Native American items for that side of ancestry will most likely never happen because of others. So much for feeling inclusive.
    edited September 2019
    What bothers me is that they include religions items but me having hope of any Native American items for that side of ancestry will most likely never happen because of others. So much for feeling inclusive.
    There is actually a thread about that in Feedback right now. Oh that you wrote so thanks for that.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    This is a good idea in theory, but it won't work well for the Sims. EA doesn't want to get into religion. Maybe their terminology was a bit off when they called it a Muslim-inspired update, but this update isn't that religious and is only inspired by Islamic culture. A hijab is an everyday piece of clothing for many people, not something sacred or used in religious ceremonies. This update added clothing and build items, not religious objects. EA should continue to stay away from religious stuff and only adds things that are heavily secular (e.g. Christmas trees, Easter bunnies, head coverings... as opposed to crucifixes, confessionals, and prayer rugs). But the idea of having separate optional packs for these updates isn't a bad one.

I think that could be hard to do appropriately. A lot of things that people commonly associate with Native American culture are sacred and would be incredibly inappropriate to use in a game as a costume.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Felicity wrote: »

I would like it too. It is still mandatory in some places.
    https://www.rbth.com/society/2016/10/24/where-in-russia-do-women-wear-a-hijab_641551

Sorry about your dad. Headwear is different for nuns. My grandma almost became one. I know a lot of Mennonite in my area wear head coverings and long skirts where I live.

I wish I had a picture of this woman. She wears a scarf which also covers her neck, and while that's not a traditional habit, many nuns will dress in ways to cover themselves while not wearing the habit. My city does have a fairly large Muslim population (we have one of the few mosques in the area down the street) but this also is a Catholic hospital and it does not look like a classic hijab. It really could be either.

Thanks for the wishes about my dad. He's a tough old bird. This is round two after a fairly long remission, but my guess is he'll pull through as he just seems to respond well to treatment.
    edited September 2019
    haneul wrote: »
    This is a good idea in theory, but it won't work well for the Sims. EA doesn't want to get into religion. Maybe their terminology was a bit off when they called it a Muslim-inspired update, but this update isn't that religious and is only inspired by Islamic culture. A hijab is an everyday piece of clothing for many people, not something sacred or used in religious ceremonies. This update added clothing and build items, not religious objects. EA should continue to stay away from religious stuff and only adds things that are heavily secular (e.g. Christmas trees, Easter bunnies, head coverings... as opposed to crucifixes, confessionals, and prayer rugs). But the idea of having separate optional packs for these updates isn't a bad one.

I think that could be hard to do appropriately. A lot of things that people commonly associate with Native American culture are sacred and would be incredibly inappropriate to use in a game as a costume.

Which is why I made a post to help. It's not fair that they don't even listen and try as we get excluded yet again because of excuses. If they can add things for others, they can add things for us. Not everything is sacred. Just say away from warbonnets and eagle feathers (as they have to be earned and not something people would wear often anyways, only a few people in a few tribes for special events once earned) and you won't have much issues.

Even just some more hairstyles and build and buy items would be nice. People want ladders, they can add that and I can make an adobe style house. Like mohawks for punk sims even and need more hair for men? Can give some hair styles like that as it can works for both and give male sims more variety in general. Island Living had some nice hair, so it's not impossible.

Want more textures for roofs and walls or roofing options, they can do that. People already use Southwestern themed Native American inspired patterns for furniture in real life.

There really is no excuse good enough to not at least include a few things.

Even a fry bread recipe shouldn't be that difficult for them to add in and who don't want more recipes.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    just my 2 cents here but how about some respect for players that where actualy waiting for the muslim content if my memory serves me well it was ask since the sims2 i might not use the content that was recently patch in offen but if needed depending on the kind of family i went to create i know it will be there if needed.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member
    just my 2 cents here but how about some respect for players that where actualy waiting for the muslim content if my memory serves me well it was ask since the sims2 i might not use the content that was recently patch in offen but if needed depending on the kind of family i went to create i know it will be there if needed.

What's disrespectful about wanting religious content in a separate, completely optional dlc? Like the holiday pack, which is free and does seem to have some mildly religious content. That way, the ones who want the religious stuff can get it and the ones who don't want it don't have to get it.
    edited September 2019

What's disrespectful about wanting religious content in a separate, completely optional dlc? Like the holiday pack, which is free and does seem to have some mildly religious content. That way, the ones who want the religious stuff can get it and the ones who don't want it don't have to get it.
    The thing is, where do you draw the line with it? Get Together had medieval content which represents one of the most religious time periods in history. It would have to be treated across the board with everything and every theme and every DLC. So which packs with religious contents would be paid and which ones won't be? That is when it gets to be a bit more complicated. Roman times were very religious too.
  • BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member

The thing is, where do you draw the line with it? Get Together had medieval content which represents one of the most religious time periods in history. It would have to be treated across the board with everything and every theme and every DLC. So which packs with religious contents would be paid and which ones won't be? That is when it gets to be a bit more complicated. Roman times were very religious too.

Get Together is less religious than modern day Europe. No churches, no crosses, no nuns, no vicars, none of that.

All that being said, I can sort of understand where you're coming from. All I know is when the sims developers blatantly break a rule they set for themselves we have a problem.

I think content that might be directky inspired by a religion but not outright recognizing the religion (calling the Christmas Tree a Holiday Tree, as they once did) would be a good start. And keep it separate from the base game. That way at least the line is as well drawn as the player wants it to be. Otherwise we get ruffled feathers an accusations.

But then again, keep in mind, I don't have all the answers.

Get Together is less religious than modern day Europe. No churches, no crosses, no nuns, no vicars, none of that.

All that being said, I can sort of understand where you're coming from. All I know is when the sims developers blatantly break a rule they set for themselves we have a problem.

I think content that might be directky inspired by a religion but not outright recognizing the religion (calling the Christmas Tree a Holiday Tree, as they once did) would be a good start. And keep it separate from the base game. That way at least the line is as well drawn as the player wants it to be. Otherwise we get ruffled feathers an accusations.

But then again, keep in mind, I don't have all the answers.
    Yeah I think the patch is definitely going to open questions from a lot of Simmers of future content. Only time will tell what Gurus finally decide to do for future themes. I wouldn't mind the item renamed either and might be the safer and more economical solution for now. I really like the look of it from a fashion point. I do think townies do need a filtering tool which would help with future content.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, you've all been doing a pretty great job at keeping this civil and on point, I've removed a few posts in here that weren't really adding to the discussion so I'd like you all to keep it on topic going forward and respect each other please.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    The two issues I have with the Muslim content are 1) they used religious words to describe the content making it religious where they didn't have to and 2) to get the update players had to download it. All other content that even skirts on religious themes is voluntarily downloaded either by paying for it or by choosing to download it. That didn't occur here, or with the Diwali content either. I like that culture content is being made, I don't object to it being made. The one thing they did right in this they talked about in the live broadcast; they talked to a Muslim group about how to represent them in a respectful way. They did the same thing for the LGBT stuff we got. They have put out in the past content that missed the mark in sensitive cultural representation (the Sims 3 Native American set was one of them). Not every on wants the same things in their own private sim world. There are those who play the Sims to get a way from things in the world and don't want them intruding in their fictional world. I would love to see more cultural content, as long as it is offered to players a voluntary choice.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I wish they skipped on the real world, and went straight to the Cult of the Llama. Cult of the Freezer Bunny, Cult of Gnomes, The Watcher, and the Siblings Grimm.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited September 2019
    I can understand where people are coming from - it did seem bizarre that they would simply drop a patch with items they themselves are referring to with religious names when, historically, religion has been an off-limits area. I think they could have found a better way to introduce the content.

HOWEVER, it's happened now and they aren't going to go back and change it. Absolutely make (respectful) threads stating your opinion on how you wasn't a fan of how this content was rolled-out and how you would like future updates to be handled. But I can't see how fixating on this and not updating your game because of it is constructive or enjoyable for you. I have offered to help people several times with either disabling content so that it doesn't spawn on random Sims, or disabling it from your game completely. So the option is there for you.

Looking back, others have pointed out that there was a Menorah in Seasons and a Dastār in City Living, so this wasn't completely unprecedented. And now that the flood gates have been opened, I actually hope for more content that straddles the cultural/religious divide. Others have mentioned priest or nun like clothing, I'd also like Buddhist monk robes and Jewish Kippahs, a Sikh head-dress (I'm sorry I couldn't find the right name!) for women, a cross necklace and some stained-glass windows.
    Post edited by Simanite on
  • mordarlarmordarlar Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2019
    I love that we now have a sims game that looks more like real life. As everyone knows, the Sims world is highly customizable. Options in a world like that are always a very good thing IMHO and any desire for restrictions would only serve to limit the game play options of the vast majority. I respect and admire EA's decisions in this regard.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    They already said it will not appear on random townies so it won't affect your game in any way.

I hate the eyeball ring with a passion and I'm not going to ask for it to be in a separate pack...
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top