Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular Opinions (The Sims 3)

emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
I happened upon a thread like this in the Sims 4 section and it was so dang FUN to read and participate in that I thought I would start one here in the Sims 3 section. :smiley:

How it works:

You post an unpopular opinion that you have about the game and/or gameplay and if you see another's that you agree with, you Like /Awesome the post to let that person know they're not the only one who feels that way. :mrgreen: (You can even quote them and throw out a comment as to why you agree with them. ;) )

*Don't Like/Awesome a comment that you don't agree with. And also, be kind and respectful to other's opinions so we can have a happy thread.*

I'll start: Sunset Valley is not the best town to play in. :p

GO!
:mrgreen:
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    emorrill wrote: »
    Sunset Valley is not the best town to play in. :p
    Sunset Valley is the most stable of the worlds I have tried so far so I can't agree because I really don't care about my sims' environment.
    It's way too easy to make money. The only way to be poor is to have no job and pursue no skills, pretty much forever. There's no way at all to be middle-class unless you manufacture one with cheats and/or artificially calibrated mod settings. It's pretty annoying, to be honest.
    I don't want poor sims so this is not an issue for me.

I wouldn't even consider playing vanilla not even for a sim fix. In fact, I nearly gave up the game until I realized that many of the things that annoyed me could be changed.

@coco Although I recently installed Supernatural and enjoyed seeing supernaturals wandering around the town for a brief save or two, I prefer regular boring human sims :D In the past I have enjoyed playing the occasional vampire but they lived very human lives, cooking and eating with their human families and walking around in the daytime :D
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    edited September 2019
    @mikezumi I was going to say that I've never played a supernatural sim, but that's not true. Sun was briefly a vampire but then I cured her. PlantSims, aliens, genies, zombies, werewolves, fairies etc just don't do anything for me. I enjoy reading other simmers stories about them though :smile:
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    @meerkattime Agreed! Plus I also find it difficult to make larger homes look functional and lived-in :smile:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @meerkattime Although I love the look of smaller homes because they seem more realistic (and cosy) than the large homes I usually play, I simply can't play large families in them and find taking pics very difficult without bringing down walls which I only do in some situations where I can't get a good shot of a facial expression or animation that I find interesting.
    I figure there's enough "fantasy" in my game with my males giving birth without having to play supernaturals ;) But I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the saves I have played with vampires and, very recently, with genies, but will probably mostly play humans.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @emorrill This IS a fun thread! When I saw the title, I thought it sounded like trouble LOL, but then I saw it was you and so knew better and took a look. I gave you an awesome for posting it and an invisible like for Sunset Valley not being the best town to play in. It really *isn't* the best town, but on the other hand, I've grown to really like taking an empty version of it (and also Magicdancer's Sunset Valley 2) and making it into exactly what I want.

@puzzlezaddict It is awfully easy to make money, and I don't really like my sims rich, but on the other hand I like to focus on other things in my games other than the everyday drudgery of dragging my sims off to work every day and barely having any time/energy for fun and side projects, so I don't actually mind that it's the way it is.

@Mikezumi I appreciate some good mods in my game and won't play without them. Personally, I use very little cc (and only in a couple specific saves that have their own game folder) because I do a lot of building to share and it's a hassle to deal with, but the mods that expand/change/enhance/correct game play and don't transfer I couldn't live without.

@coco I keep my supernatural settings like yours, although do put some supernaturals in here and there. I just like to control exactly who is what, and they're usually side characters for me and not in my main family/household.

@meerkattime I can't say the smaller the better exactly, but I do like my houses on the smaller side, too, and am much more likely to view one as too big rather than too small. I don't go for having everything in the game in one house, and I prefer sending my sims out to do a lot of things, rather than keeping them home all the time.

As for my personal differentness, I like my town populations small and I have no time for the townies and NPC's who I almost never like.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @suzses I like small populations too. I generally populate a town at the start of each new save and set limits on how many children they can have so that the population stays small. I only need enough sims to ensure that the offspring of the main household can find partners. Since the game doesn't recognize them as blood beyond first cousins I can generally find partners over the generations and, even when I can't, adding another family doesn't increase the population by much anyway. As for NPCs they are persona non grata to me!
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    This might not be unpopular when people think about it but people write the opposite way all the time.

I am not my Sims, they are my Sims, not me.

Re: "The only way to be poor..." (and hundreds of examples across the web). I become neither poor nor rich no matter what Sim I'm playing. The half-exception is my Simself (when I have one again soon) but if she gets rich I'm still not. Sure, I do rotate through most of the premades/town in recent years, so that's a lot more Sims than people seem to like to play, but I'd feel the same about just one.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

@emorrill Agree, SV is a boring town. I've played a few times and end up moving my sims somewhere else. I lived in boring towns, don't want my sims to live there!

@puzzlezaddict Agree, unless you set specific rules for your sims (which I tend to ignore when I do set them. :D ) it is too easy to make money in the game.

@coco Love my supernaturals. How long has it been since I played with my SS and her beautiful Jared who are boringly human!! :lol:

@meerkattime I love my big houses with my big families. I hate when they have routing issues because the rooms are too small. Those two small cottages that Dwight and Lorelei lived in at first drove me bonkers! :lol:

@suzes I agree, I like the smaller town populations and use nraas SP to limit growth.

@simmerLella I agree, I am not my sim, even my simself is really not me as I would not be an actress or married to Jared! :wink:

I guess my unpopular opinion would be I prefer to make my own sims or use sims that friends have given me rather than play the premades. The premades are background, neighbors and friends for my sims stories. I do bring some townies into my stories more than I used to, but they are generally not my main sims.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    Urban worlds meant to simulate large population centers having fewer than 1,000 residents are not realistic, but a game with a map that large and with that many residents would tend to explode under the strain. We aren't meant to see exactly the same recognizable faces every day when our sims are out in the world other than at work/school, it just doesn't work that way in the Big City. But with the more typical residential populations ranging from 80 to 150 or so, it's really difficult for our sims (and us) to not end up knowing most or all of them before long unless our actively controlled sims almost never leave their homes.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    @emorrill : this is an interesting thread!
    And I think Sunset Valley very boring, too!

@coco : no awsome from me! :D
    All my family members are supernaturals (fairy wings are disabled, driving me mad to see all of them). Recently one of my Sims found his soulmate, a human, and I already think about, which supernatural power he´ll get.

@puzzlezaddict : would like to give more then one awsome if I could, it´s waaayy too easy to make money!

@igazor : not only that there are just too few Sims out there in the city, there is no traffic! Which town doesn´t have traffic jams?

my unpopular opinion: playing at university is boring!
    The Sims attend their courses, go to parties (Most of the time the host isn´t at home, so the party is cancelled. And if the host is at home, the parties are boring!), have to get up too early in the morning and everything repeats.
    This is not the life I lead when going to uni.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    coco wrote: »
    @mikezumi I was going to say that I've never played a supernatural sim, but that's not true. Sun was briefly a vampire but then I cured her. PlantSims, aliens, genies, zombies, werewolves, fairies etc just don't do anything for me. I enjoy reading other simmers stories about them though :smile:

^Same feeling here. :blush: I definitely enjoy reading @bekkasan ' s supernatural stories. :star: Many simmers are pros are playing out and writing stories with Supernaturals, like her. Sadly I am not. :(
    So yeah I very much prefer playing with "boring" humans too. :lol:
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I like the building and creating part of the game more than I like the actual gameplay.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    edited September 2019
    @suzses Aww, you're so sweet. :kissing_heart:

@StephSteb You're like my husband in that regard. ;) For me though, I stink at building so I love the actual gameplay more. :blush:

I just thought of another one:

I prefer to play with Aging Off. :)
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited September 2019
    Cool thread!

@emorrill Although the thread idea deserves an "awesome", I only gave a "like" to the first post in order to leave my vote. I have only played on 4 different worlds so far, and why I may agree with your specific wording, I don't really think the other worlds were better, except in a few specific aspects. Also, I first played in SV this year, as I'm new to this game, which means SV isn't the "same old" for me yet.

@puzzlezaddict No, I'm fine with how easy or not it is to make money in this game. True, I never needed to cheat any money into the game, but I think the start is complicated enough, at least as long as you don't use the many loopholes the game gives you.

@Mikezumi True. I can't play vanilla. Without mods, the game just breaks at some point for me.

@coco I gave a "like" for that one, because I see where you come from. I haven't seen all the supernaturals yet, which means I'm still trying stuff out. Vampires are the game baseline for me, because I started Sims3 in Bridgeport. I heavily restrict their numbers though. I have completely switched off fairies and werewolves after I experienced them in Moonlight Falls. I also switched off most others, even though I myself dabble with them. Plantsims are such easy toddlers. I have a soft spot for witches though. "Restoration Ritual!"

@meerkattime Word. I say this although I'm playing in a rather large villa at the moment. Smaller houses are so much easier. They need an open floor plan at the ground floor though, with enough maneuvering space in the kitchen and around the dining table, plus space for toddlers nearby. The routing on large lots gets already difficult. Stuff in the far corners rarely gets used. I tend to stay in slightly modified starter houses for ages.

@suzses No, I like townies. It goes that far that I have qualms kicking them out of their houses when I need space to move. Which was my main difficulty in Twinbrook, where you don't have any space to move. This also means that, when I decide to move my sim(s) in with a townie because I'm after their house, I don't kick them out. Which brings lots of hilarious complications.

@simmerLella Sort of. It's easier to write "I" because, honestly, often enough it's me, the player, who makes the decisions. I don't see it as an issue though. It can also be fun to play against the own character, and then that "mistake" becomes much rarer.

@bekkasan I'm not sure that's unpopular. When you start out with the game, the game basically tells you to make your own character, which means that this is more or less the baseline for me.

@igazor Heh, that's definitely true. I have played city sims like Simcity4 and Cities: Skylines extensively, and at least the latter tries to model lots of individual "cims", at least to some extent. Of course, the individuality already ends with the limited character models, and as soon as the city grows above 100,000, the rampant fudging becomes obvious.

@AlexaKry While your examples are all true, I still find living in the dorms or fraternities hilarious. It's pure chaos.

@StephSteb No, I like playing more. I rebuild houses, but I have yet to build my own house from scratch.

@emorrill Not really aging off, but I love to play on epic lifespan, which isn't very popular, either.

My unpopular opinion: I don't like pets. No, not the real life ones. I love my grumpy cat dearly. However, I don't like the pets in the game. They are a nuisance that takes much of your time until you get them to behave. Also, little dogs don't work with houses with foundations. I would like to keep the expansion because of the small animals and the wildlife, which I find endearing, but I would love to switch the actual pets off.

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    Unpopular Opinion: Conscience: It’s uncool to cheat your way to wealth (using family funds cheat; loading your lot down with tiberium spawners; multiple NRAAS Debug Enabler interactions- MC>Debug Enabler>Gemstone >Debug:Cut to boost the value of a gemstone to stratospheric heights; fishing spawners to complete fishing wishes bc you don’t want to go all the way to Shang Simla; Champs Les Sims or Al Simhara; Debug Enabler>Plant Life Stage to revive Deathflowers to get multiple harvests out of a plant that technically only will give you two harvests with the Green Thumb trait; killing other Sims indiscriminately in order to give my Sims every available opportunity to profit from the former assets of the deceased)

Yeah, I know I’ma cheater; a dirty rotten-cheater :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    emorrill wrote: »

I prefer to play with Aging Off. :)
    Me too, the fact that anyone can suddenly age without me being there, is just not fun. (the other option is epic life span)
    StephSteb wrote: »
    I like the building and creating part of the game more than I like the actual gameplay.
    Whenever I feel that I have no inspiration for stories I go back to building.

You can enjoy the sims 3 even without knowing any of the previous games. Bella Bachelor can marry other sims that are not Mortimer Goth.
    I find Xander Clavell (with tiny modifications) more attractive than Thornton Wolff.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    @emorrill I liked, then had to unlike your first post! Cause it's such a great idea but I don't agree with SV being boring. Because I love the sims there so much. And I know the town so well I can go right where I want to. I have booted up other towns and looked around. Some day I will get around to playing them but I doubt it will be soon. I DO agree with your post about playing with aging off.

@coco I really agree, I can't get into the supernaturals
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    My very unpopular opinion: I prefer making machinima to actually playing. I get to know the sims I play and being able to produce a movie about their lives (with my limited video skills) is so much fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top