Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to The Sims?

I came across this video on YouTube from a Game changer.

https://youtu.be/kg_3uOst1sg

I think while it’s great that he’s speaking out on this, I think that it’s only scraping the tip of the iceberg in terms of quality control and issues the game has. But it’s nice to see someone with influence call the team out. And I think James does make some very valid points. Also begs the question, what ROM is going to break in game?

It does feel like the fans are the testers for each new piece of dlc.

Comments

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Couldn't agree more but again simmers are sleeping. Nothing will change, EA still gonna get our money and life will go on.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Couldn't agree more but again simmers are sleeping. Nothing will change, EA still gonna get our money and life will go on.

Apologies, I just noticed you had a very similar topic!

Some simmers are sleeping. But many are not. It’s sad that the only hope of getting the attention of the devs is to wait until a game changer speaks up.

Apologies, I just noticed you had a very similar topic!

Some simmers are sleeping. But many are not. It’s sad that the only hope of getting the attention of the devs is to wait until a game changer speaks up.

And still! They get a free dlc and a few gifts and then EA is serene. By the way I'm 99% sure this video won't change anything. They won't fix the counters, they'll still going to duplicate them like that and they'll still going to wait for the players to test their game.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2019
    As I said in the other thread made regarding this same video:
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    He lost me when he said the unusable drawers being on the wrong side of the island along with the island being a different shade than the counter makes the whole island unusable.

Just felt like he was whining at that point. Seriously? The island is unusable because the counter top is white and the island is 1/4 shade away?
    Post edited by Chazzzy on
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I really liked this video, James has always been pretty honest with what he doesn't like, what's broken, etc. I know he has other issues with the game from watching his other stuff, but I imagine that would be an extensive video, and probably taken very poorly if people were inclined to change anything. Which they likely won't just because he's mentioned it, but I don't think that's his intent. Hopefully the idea of thoughtful, balanced criticism spreads and they decide to fix things because people are unhappy, but 🤷🏼‍♀️ we all know EA.
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Ask I said in the other thread made regarding this same video:
    He lost me when he said the unusable drawers being on the wrong side of the island along with the island being a different shade than the counter makes the whole island unusable.

Just felt like he was whining at that point. Seriously? The island is unusable because the counter top is white and the island is 1/4 shade away?

@Chazzzy James is a stickler for detail, so I was not surprised he said that. I had the custom island counter by Illogical Sims as soon as he dropped it. Until James made this video, I had not looked at the new patched in island counter, at least not the part where the waterfall should match the regular counters. He has a point, it looks rushed and unfinished. How is it, a custom content creator can make a much better and matching set than the actual devs? Illogical Sims makes so many great add ons, like giving us 3 seater sofas when the game only has a loveseat and expanded windows, doors, etc. I don't use all his content. And even though we have an official island counter for IL, I am still gonna use the cc version at least in my personal games, but not in my builds I upload to the gallery.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    I also dislike miss-matched counters (not a fan of the totally wrong swatches), and the stretched textures - I think it looks sloppy. It might be picky but I found it interesting how he noticed the drawers on the wrong side of the islands. I never thought about it before, and now it bothers me a bit 😅. I always struggle making kitchens due to the lack of choices and matching objects (let alone the sloppy work), and it's nice to see a game-changer talk about it in a constructive way.

I wish Maxis would take a bit of notice - I also feel the game has gone downhill this past year. (Though maybe they've started to improve? While bugs are as bad as ever, at least we got some not-just-recolours for the newest update, as well as a new build-mode feature).
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    They actually are increasing QA with every content patch, but the more they make, the harder it gets. Critique is fine, but we also should remember that they are continually trying to do things that haven't been done before, or to do things better.
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    They actually are increasing QA with every content patch, but the more they make, the harder it gets. Critique is fine, but we also should remember that they are continually trying to do things that haven't been done before, or to do things better.

@Sindocat i think they are. but let us not all forgot how they have given up on everything else. most of this short lived content and gimmicks aint enough to keep me busy for a like week and most of this 'new things' flopped at some point.
    y'all got bread?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

I think the issue is that it tends to be very polarized: people either only focus on the good or on the bad. It's a trend everywhere (well, especially on social media, let's be honest) that if even the slightest thing is wrong with something, that something needs to go away. Or on the other side if anyone points out a fault with that something, they get told to just appreciate the good.

Critique is important, yes. As long as it's constructive and actually leads to improving the thing you're critiquing. But being critical in that way doesn't mean someone is writing off the entire thing or forgetting the good and innovative parts - the moment they do, their critique stops being constructive.

I've gotta say though, if Maxis (or EA, or whoever's in charge of that) are increasing quality control, it's probably not enough, going by some of the issues that popped up lately. Some bugs might only show up once the new content is player-side, others definitely should have been caught before. And sometimes I wonder if the new content influx doesn't impede the ability (timewise, mostly) to both test before release AND fix after release of a new pack.
    But then, I don't really want to see the potential reaction to "look, we're gonna stop new packs until we've fixed what's there", both from EA and from the player base. Considering the amount of "why is this not released yet", I don't think it'd be pretty.

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    The one thing I find annoying is incomplete build mode sets.
    Right now I am building and I am using a room arch. It only has one size for the style. It's a double space. I also need a single space. There should also be a triple and a quad. I have to go to to cc creators to complete my build mode themes.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2019
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I don't see anything changing at this point many players will take what ever low quality content is offered and thank them for it.

I’m only one person, but I’ve started to no longer pay full price for anything The Sims since Cats & Dogs. I truly feel these packs do not deserve the full retail price they charge.

But that’s if I feel a pack even deserves that much. I haven’t purchased any packs recently because of how badly things have gotten. Island Living has already dropped to $20 on select retailers, and I still didn’t buy it. A glorified world pack in a closed world game with zero gameplay and all visuals? No thanks. Strangerville is another pack I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole.

I love The Sims, and really wish I enjoyed The Sims 4, but I cannot blindly support the huge list of problems it has affecting my ability to enjoy it. Time is too short to spend it on poorly created games/DLC, and there are so many other games which better deserve the money. Realm of Magic actually looks pretty good, and I’m hoping it will be. But Maxis has broken that trust, and I’ll be waiting a long while after its release, past the “honey moon phase” every Simmer has after a long pack withdrawal, to see how it really shaped up.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member

@Sindocat i think they are. but let us not all forgot how they have given up on everything else. most of this short lived content and gimmicks aint enough to keep me busy for a like week and most of this 'new things' flopped at some point.

How odd. I have like 2 game packs and a stuff pack and am still not out of things to do, and I got all of those in May. Possibly because we also keep getting new stuff patched in for free, along with the monthly bug fixes. It's almost like we don't play the same game.
    As I said in the other thread made regarding this same video:

For me he's 100% right. :wink:
    Lu4ERme.gif
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    *speechless*

That is basically saying: “Hey mister gamechanger, you’re being paid to lie to us. So, do your job and lie to us.”

People are crazy sometimes I'm astonished. 😂
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • @Sindocat i play this game everyday like for real and been doing this religiously.

i bet you're not just playing that often i guess
    y'all got bread?
  • @Sindocat seriously tho.

we're getinng lesser content with each packs, specifically expansions and they all hella expensive. each expansion in TS4 has left a lot of us incredibly boring and feeling ripped off. there are other games out there where i could play the same amount of money and get tons of content and replayability whereas the expansion on this game are so barebones. are they even trying like for real?
    y'all got bread?
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited September 2019
    I honest disagree with a lot of things. I enjoyed the sims 4. Can some things be improved sure; but to say it horrible had no personality isn't fair either.

Personally I don't watch game changers as they aren't actually doing anything to make changes. If there is a problem you are going have to talk to EA directly. They aren't going to watch all the videos or read everything out there which is clear yet understandable as that would consume so much time that they don't have, so it isn't going to make a difference. Game changers admitted to be given free copies and early access of the game packs and flown to places that most of us will never get to; but can't actually talk to people in EA themselves? Can't report possible issues and bugs before the packs are released to public? What's the point then? Feels more like a popularity content than actually making changes.

The counters look the same to me, no real major difference that I can really notice nor looked bad in my game as it fit in with the rest of the island themed items and looked just like the other one besides the top park as it is an island counter (not like the ballpit or other things people had that was really noticeable and flat. Maybe because I don't have a expensive and fancy computer and equipment as most of use can't afford it I can't see it?), I had sims act random and flirt with both genders on their own. One of my last sims made a flirty introduction to a married woman and she is also a woman, etc..

I feel that the hair and clothing improved a lot, enjoyed most of the packs and game play. The only real issue is that they need to put bugs at a higher priority as some affect game play. As for the style, that is subjective. I lived the more cartoony look that super realistic. Besides it being easier on my computer, it just fits with the sims more in general as the first two games were more random and even daring at times. From what I seen, heard and played.

I really can't see somethings in others perspective as it feels almost like they are playing a different game at times as my experiences had been really different or want more of a Sims 3 and I want more of Sims 2 and possibly 1 (never played but sounded fun).

It seems the problem is that the community wants different things.
  • nucleonidenucleonide Posts: 216 Member
    I agree that the game needs some serious work on QA, but it's the reality of software/game development that every new pack or feature will inevitably introduce new bugs. Plus they have to integrate new packs with the base game + existing packs, like the Realm of Magic pack integrating with Cats & Dogs. We also need to remember that they're developing this on 4 different platforms; even though they may have different teams working on each it *is still* 4x the work. Not to mention they're probably doing dev/QA on all packs in parallel. Maybe I'm just sympathetic to the plight of the developer, IDK. /shrug

Now, I don't understand the general consensus that we're getting "less content" for each pack, because... I don't even really understand the distinction between expansion and game packs. (Stuff packs I kind of understand because... it's in the name.) Both EPs and GPs may have new items, new gameplay, and sometimes new world/s. So I think the problem is *not* that we're getting "less content" but that it isn't clear *how much* content we need to expect between EPs/GPs. If EA/Maxis will be more upfront with that, then I think at least some of the frustration will be addressed.
    Owns: (EPs) GTW, GT, CL, S, CD, GF, IL, EL / (GPs) SD, PH, JA, DO / (SPs) MHSP, BYSP, VGSP, BNSP, LDSP, MSP
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

Please tell me that person doesn't works for ea
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Jeannie needs a reality check.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    The one thing I find annoying is incomplete build mode sets.
    Right now I am building and I am using a room arch. It only has one size for the style. It's a double space. I also need a single space. There should also be a triple and a quad. I have to go to to cc creators to complete my build mode themes.

@CK213

I have the same issue but since I occasionally upload to the gallery I do t use the cc arches. I have made my own arches with wooden poles but we need more.