Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Add Hijabs and other cultural clothing

1235...Next

Comments

• MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited September 2019
    MadameLee wrote: »

We have a menorah and Hanukkah lights, which are also closely associated with "a certain Abrahamic religion" of a different type. I see no issue with including hijabs as a cultural item. They could even be adapted for storytelling purposes -- an old-fashioned family where the women dress modestly (at least one of the dresses from Get Together could work) and keep their heads covered, for example, with a teen family member breaking away from family tradition when she's out on the town.

Candles and clothing are two separate kinds of culture items so that is not a valid comparison. More over, I hope Hijabs or anything oppressive is NOT added as we all need to embrace change and progress when it comes to women of Islamic faith and women (and girls) in this world period. Not go backwards. Not even for a story.

sorry but it's going to BE added https://simsvip.com/2019/09/03/the-sims-4-new-muslim-inspired-content-coming-soon/?fbclid=IwAR3WsZLUxLpkeG64B6uQnKpVGMJ56wZVn9FzuWda3XpqEJFYEF1UQPCNwVE

BTW Christan women wear them in places like Egypt by CHOICE.

Yeah, I saw that too. Btw, I got it mixed up. I don't like the Burkas as that is the type of garment that symbolizes going back in time and many middle eastern countries are changing their laws when it comes to women having to wear it in public. With regards to the Hijab, I don't have much problem with that kind of head scarf as some progressive Muslim women still appear to wear them and don't find them oppressive. I don't mind those being in the game. The other items look cool too!
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member

*snip*

goldengirls_zps3ac1eeae.jpg

03d1bedbce252cc5fef351104ae0341e.jpg

ac87138a633d86edd7411453f6de8477.jpg

3436-25643-red-sunglass-full.jpg

*snip*

#TeamCulturalDiversity

Hmm... I would not like something that was clearly religious added but a nice headscarf could be a sexy addition to CAS for my sims. If you play with fun patterns and colors it can be a very pretty item to wear. Here are a few stylish women wearing said item and they are rocking it. Something like this looks good to me, it is a nice addition to bring style to your sims. I don't think religion when I see this. For me it is style. I guess that it is the fact that you see a lot of hair that makes it a fun fashion item to me. So, for me personally, fun option to wear scarf that shows a bit of hair could be fun and cute in that Audrey Hepburn-kind-of-way.

Headscarfs.jpg

This is my era! I used to wear scarves like this and scarf rings were very popular then with reams of instructions on how to use them. Some styles looked very like the new CAS style. They were great to use on windy or bad hair days. I wear a type of female cap now, appropriated from the men's style, very useful under an anorak hood as it stops the hood falling over one's face! Every woman has the right to wear what she likes on her head if that is what she wants herself.
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    Suceress wrote: »
    MrSpaceman wrote: »
    I don't feel like it's a good idea. Honestly, I think that everything connected with the real religion shouldn't be in the game.

It's not about religion, it's cultural. There are Christians who wear hijabs either to fit in or because they find them comfortable. They have holiday packs with trees & other decorations, so I don't see why they can't have cultural clothing. If people don't like it they don't have to use it.

Because in 21st century it has nothing to do with religion and with your beliefs. I live in the country where we use Christmas trees to celebrate the holiday that has nothing to do with Chrisianity - and that's New Year. And many atheists celebrate Christmas too. Just because it's more of a tradition now and it's fun.
    I don't think hijabs are non-religious, because aren't they meant to cover a woman's hair so she would look modest in the eyes of her God? I also don't think that non-islamic women can just start wearing hijabs "just because" without offending someone sensitive.
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    DeservedCriticism I also don't see who would be explicitly offended if they added hijabs to the game. Only some racist and xenophobic people, but, huh, their hateful thoughts don't matter at all.

Wouldn't call myself a racist because I don't hate people of other races and never thought that they were any worse than me. But hijabs to me look like a symbol of oppression which I don't think is ok in 2019. It's fair to say that women all over the world always wore different types of head covering before, but they no longer do that, because no scarf is no longer considered as not humble enough.
  • FreakAboutSimsFreakAboutSims Posts: 795 Member
    Please don't be offended by what I will say

Hijabs even though they are cultural, items they are now, too closely associated with a certain Abrahamic religion to ever be included in a Sims game. You do have some options of cultural clothing if you have the new City Living pack.

If you don't want them then don't use them. This post is moot now since they added one. Also, it's just a piece of clothing.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Please don't be offended by what I will say

Hijabs even though they are cultural, items they are now, too closely associated with a certain Abrahamic religion to ever be included in a Sims game. You do have some options of cultural clothing if you have the new City Living pack.

If you don't want them then don't use them. This post is moot now since they added one. Also, it's just a piece of clothing.

I used a CC one in my 2nd attempt of the Swanson legacy..so of course I'm going to use it. But I do have a point that some people are too blind to see that women outside of the said Abrahamic group and some of those instead this group choose to wear it themselves and aren't forced too which is what the problem is. Somme People view the heardscarf as oppression of women..that might be true for some women but not all women.

6adMCGP.gif