Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you care if they add stuff from different lifestyles (LGBT, religious, cultural, etc.)

12346...Next

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Of all the things that I worry about, having some muslim themed stuff is the least of it. I really just don't care at all, though a lot of simmers will probably like having that as an option. It is an interesting choice, though. I live in an area with a fairly large Muslim population, so hijaabs are everywhere -- I think the sims team, if they really wanted to capture the essence, they should have made a black catsuit with long sleeves and legs be in the legging category. See, Muslim women here dress as western as everyone, but for spring dresses or really anything that will show arms and legs, they wear a black catsuit underneath. It's kind of funny, in truth -- the catsuit is more common than the hijaab.

Anyway, I didn't vote because it honestly doesn't affect me at all in any way. I hope they keep adding cultural things, but perhaps they should leave overtly religious themes alone. A hijaab is great, but I think it would have been better with a bunch of headgears from various cultures. Give us tichels and babushkas and I don't know what else and things for men as well.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    No - I don’t care (but maybe free content is nice)
    I think the only real issue here is the rather large disparity of CAS content between males, children (both male/female), and toddlers. Females and feminine attire get the most bulk of CAS out of any other group, especially Adults. Elders also get little in clothes suitable for their age group. I can understand that at least for males there isn't much to go on concerning attire fitting mostly for them, but the same shirt done a bajillion different ways gets tired real fast.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I didn't vote, for two reasons: 1. Those are biased and unfair choices and 2. What I feel isn't listed.

I don't have a problem with a hijab being included. I might use it, might not. 🤷🏼‍♀️ To be honest I thought nothing of the update until I read this thread, which I think has some fair points. If you aren't going to use certain content, why should you have to download it? And I see a lot of people in the thread who aren't necessarily being hateful, but just simply don't use the free content that's given or think that you should be able to choose what you download. And I think that's fair.

I also think it's fair that people ask "if this is included, where is my representation?" That's a valid question. And as a religious person myself, I GET that. I do. But I ALSO fear it's inclusion, because I fear people making a mockery or a sham of something I believe very seriously. Mine has not been included, and I do not expect it will be. I am somewhat relieved it's not, though logically I know it should be included if others are.

Frankly, I wouldn't use religious items in the game even if they were my own. Even well-represented and well-intentioned...it feels a little odd for some reason...maybe it's just my play style. Someone mentioned earlier about having sim-specific religions, which I think is an interesting idea. I just really, really don't want to see what I love mocked...
  • mandyssims93mandyssims93 Posts: 122 Member
    Yes! - We need everyone in the world to feel included
    Diversity and representation is important. <3
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I love inclusion. The more people who can play this game and feel included and accepted, in my opinion, the better.

At first, I felt differently...Not because I didn't want people to feel included, but because I feared that if things were added improperly it would cause hurt feelings and upset about being included in a jokey or just plain misinterpreted way...But I think as our world changes and people change, everyone has the right to feel included and represented regardless of race, gender, creed, ability or disability and/or socioeconomic standing.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • casicasi Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes! - How dare they add something that makes me uncomfortable
    I don't care as long as I don't have to deal with it my game and that means keeping it off my game. If I haven't added in my game then respect me and keep it out of my game. When I play, I redo all the sims and dress them the way I like so do not add something to them that I haven't put on them. Respect my choices.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I haven't voted because I don't like how the options are worded, but I'm neutral/positive about the items added. I'm not going to use them a lot, but they look pretty and I'm happy for the players who wanted them.

For those who answered that now that now that EA added one set of cultural items they have to add them all - I think we all know that wouldn't be possible. There are around 4200 religions and over 5000 estimated ethnicities in the world. They wouldn't be able to add them all even if they decided to work just on that and nothing else from now on. But adding some often-requested items is a nice and sensible thing to do.
  • CABALCABAL Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2019
    Will go with the first one, just for the sake of them, developers, focusing mostly on Middle East cultures when it comes to this, and even then this interest in "diversity" is definitely motivated by current western political climate which makes the situation worse.

This is where comes my real problem with this though. The world is a big place, there is a great amount of other cultures, there are many Eastern Asian cultures, Slavic cultures and of course Western European cultures. They could give some attention to other cultures that they haven't touched yet in previous games that much too, I mean they never did Slavic towns or other related things in Sims games (aside from that small Mother Russia set for Sims 3 that barely has anything in there). However, right now I really doubt I'm going to see anything related to Japanese culture or even Slavic cultures (where lies my personal interest, though I love many European countries and cultures). Some of this stuff could also be put into specific content.

This is the only thing that makes me uncomfortable. Or perhaps there is another one: I'd prefer if they focused on providing more family-oriented/romantic content to the game (if I had to chose between this and that), the more gameplay/interactions the better, this is what I and many others miss the most. I seriously cannot understand why they don't want to give it a go, it would net them millions because it seems to be the most requested thing. They could also add France related stuff too which would suit romantic theme.
    Post edited by CABAL on
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    @CABAL , I'm a little confused that you don't consider Slavic cultures to be European. Do you mean just Western Europe when you say Europe?
  • CeltianaCeltiana Posts: 13 New Member
    I don't care really, a burka would have bothered me though.
  • BabyCarrotzBabyCarrotz Posts: 950 Member
    Gosh! Reading some of the ignorant and hurtful comments here angers me! So I've got to say something and I will paste my comment about the hijab from the other hijab thread to clear up some stereotypes and misconceptions here. I apologize for the picture spam but I've got to get my points across with these.

Thank you EA and Maxis for adding hijabs and other cultural outfits in the game. Believe it or not there are a lot of Muslim sims players around the world lol. Where I come from, the hijab is more like a cultural and fashion accessory than being tied to religion. No one is being forced to wear it and yet many women chose to wear it willingly because who wouldn't? The hijabs are so pretty! They come in different colors, fabrics, textures and styles. Not to mention they save us ladies a lot of time from having to prep our hair when we're in a hurry, just wrap it around the head and its done XD

I0b59UL.jpg

Women who wear hijabs fashionably are called Hijabistas and there are a lot of them on social medias. Do they look like they're being forced to wear the hijabs?

SyqBn8s.png

Women also wear hijab during weddings. They don't have to, but its in my culture. The grooms also wear a head accessory.

x5Jslhc.jpg

During Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha festival holidays, families dress up in traditional attires.

VCco3Ih.jpg

I really don't get the outrage with the addition of hijabs and it saddens me to read some of the rude comments insulting my culture. It only becomes religious if you make it so! Just treat the hijab like every other cultural clothing added in game (we got the Chinese clothing in Lunar update, Indians clothing for Diwali, etc.), they're just clothing articles and this is just a game. Don't turn it into political or religious debates. The sims is not the place for that. Why can't everyone be more accepting? :'( If you associate Muslims = the Middle East, you clearly need to get educated more before bashing them. Muslims are around the world with different cultures and traditions. Just because 1% of the Muslim populations force hijabs on women and other terrible things you hear doesn't mean the rest of us are like that. We also condemn such practices. So please stop stereotyping other people and accept each others differences, the world will become a much better place for everyone!

And to stay on topic, I didn't expect EA to actually add Muslims-inspired clothing to the game. I don't care either way but it's a nice surprise when they did. I will welcome other cultural clothing and architectures into the game too in future updates. More diversity is always good and that's what makes the world beautiful!

PEEt1Hh.gif?1
    Sorry I mean to say more then I don't care, I like the diversity, I would like Chinese themed clothes next, it's just the burka I don't like.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited September 2019
    I think @BabyCarrotz knows better, as it is her lived reality, what it is like to wear a hijab as part of her cultural self expression. You don't have to use it in your game if it is a scary thing for you. The Gurus have assured us that it will not be randomly assigned to townies. It's not intruding on you at all. But your disrespect to another actual player, who is happy to have this added, is verging on harassment. Please stop.

Edit - and BabyCarrotz, thank you for sharing those photos. The traditional menswear is interesting. I also appreciate you sharing your perspectives here - they jibe with things I have heard from other friends here in the States.
  • SimSweetySimSweety Posts: 73 Member
    It really depends on what they add, if it’s not anything particularly sensitive than it’s ok I do think we could use more cultural clothing in game.
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    @CABAL , I'm a little confused that you don't consider Slavic cultures to be European. Do you mean just Western Europe when you say Europe?
    It's not about that. But yeah, should've specified "Western", I guess. Edited that part.
    I think the Hijab is fine. Nuns wear very similar and that doesn't bother me either
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I think @BabyCarrotz knows better, as it is her lived reality, what it is like to wear a hijab as part of her cultural self expression. You don't have to use it in your game if it is a scary thing for you. The Gurus have assured us that it will not be randomly assigned to townies. It's not intrudin :) g on you at all. But your disrespect to another actual player, who is happy to have this added, is verging on harassment. Please stop.

Edit - and BabyCarrotz, thank you for sharing those photos. The traditional menswear is interesting. I also appreciate you sharing your perspectives here - they jibe with things I have heard from other friends here in the States.

I'm glad you enjoy the photos! 7.7 billions humans living in different countries, with different languages and cultures. It's always interesting to learn other cultures from every part of the world! Also the menswear is called Baju Melayu and it also comes in different colors and patterns :smiley:
    PEEt1Hh.gif?1
    edited September 2019
    If you associate Muslims = the Middle East, you clearly need to get educated more before bashing them.
    There is nothing wrong with associating Muslims with Middle East though. This is what Middle East means:
    middle-east-wall-map-political_ct00798.jpg

It has nothing to do with bashing since "Middle East" is not an insult. There are some Muslim countries in Southern Asia and in South East Asia too, however, while not all the countries in the Middle East are Islamic.
    CABAL wrote: »
    If you associate Muslims = the Middle East, you clearly need to get educated more before bashing them.
    There is nothing wrong with associating Muslims with Middle East though. This is what Middle East means:
    middle-east-wall-map-political_ct00798.jpg

It has nothing to do with bashing since "Middle East" is not an insult. There are some Muslim countries in Southern Asia and in South East Asia too, however, while not all the countries in the Middle East are Islamic.

What I meant to say was people like to generalize Muslims with people from the Middle East countries, where some of the countries there have extreme laws regarding hijabs and such and they keep forgetting that Muslims also exist in other parts of the world. This also explains the different cultures and perspectives between Muslims from South East Asia and Middle East. There are also Muslims everywhere else around the world and certainly not all Muslim women are forced to wear hijab or being oppressed like some people here have claimed.
    PEEt1Hh.gif?1
  • GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    edited September 2019
    When there are no longer any places in the world where it's compulsory and people can choose, with no threats or pressure, to wear them simply because they like them, I'm happy to stand down.

Do you feel the same way about including marriage and children in the sims?

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Choice and options are good. If people want to include hijabs, turbas or kippahs (the latter noticibly missing in CAS right now) for their Sims then go for it. If you don't want to use those items, again, your game, your choice. Random townie Sims can be modified and deleted if you think they're too religious looking and if you want....you can even delete the Heckings if that offends you. You're the player and once you have the game you set up the world your way. I know some people have, in the past, said they don't want to have to go and modify randomly generated Sims or delete ones that go against their game and wished they weren't default or the game is skewed into creating such randoms. But I think that's a lazy argument.

The thing is the choice. What is being offered are some clothing choices and we're not getting a full menu of actions and behaviours based around praying and proselytising. Once the designers start forcing choices on the players then we might have a problem.

So....your game, your way.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Honestly, I don't mind the LGBTQ+ items, as they're pretty fun and inclusive. However, I think the team should tread carefully with religious-themed items and clothes. Since it could come across as very virtu-signally, especially with how many industries are trying to grasp at social justice points already nowadays. If they do insist on adding religion I'd like to see is something more akin to the religions from the sims medieval, where they had there made-up religions, which was pretty cool.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone! I went ahead and removed some comments. We are going to go ahead and close this thread after EA_Mai and EA_Rtas advised everyone to keep things on topic. Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top