Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build or Decor Based on Photo

Comments

• bubbajoe621bubbajoe621 Posts: 86 Member
    > @Gwiniel said:
    > My very first TS4 build was inspired by a real Victorian building. I google map searched it by address 2155 Central Ave., Alameda, CA so that I could view different angles of it. The photo is from pinterest... don't know who to credit.
    >
    Of course I was so excited over finding a like mind that I forgot to say how gorgeous your build is. Keep 'em coming!
    > @Taoron said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    I wanted something I knew I had in a CC item and it was killing me not to use it.

I'm trying so hard not to use CC now. With all the new stuff this year I'm going back over my older builds and "bringing them up to code."
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    I've been doing a lot of that myself. Some work out. Some I'm disappointed in. But, either way, getting a bunch of downloads from others is more gratifying than getting none.
  • badxwolfxrisingbadxwolfxrising Posts: 69 Member
    I frequently Google stuff for inspiration but I've never tried to recreate an actual building. You guys are making me want to try!
  • groovyboagroovyboa Posts: 25 Member
    I actually like to recreate houses from the plans in old public domain house catalogs (there lots of great ones on Victorian and colonial revival houses in those). The Sims grid isn't exactly too friendly to smaller houses but the stair update actually seems like it'll solve some of my building woes.
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    I built the house from the movie Practical Magic using a ton of researched photos and movie screenshots. It took forever. Can’t wait to fix the awkward stair workaround with the new stairs functionality though.
    edited September 2019
    Here is a side-by-side of my build of the Brehaut house. A lot of features had to be simified as we never have enough frou-frou for the roofs and eaves.

H2Anob1.jpg

available on the gallery ID bubbajoe62
    Post edited by bubbajoe621 on
  • groovyboagroovyboa Posts: 25 Member
    I just remember that I used a lot of photo reference for this sort recreation of the Armour–Stiner House I did a while ago. The exterior looks a bit goofy but I like how I managed to recreate the first floor from the plans quite accurately and somehow make it work with the Sims grid. I pretty much used all the photos I could find to help furnish the place (I'm not too crazy when it comes to decorating and I only had base game stuff at the time though). The other floor's rooms (except for the master bedroom) are completely made up though.
    Xw8lr5e.jpg
    bCYfOqO.png

gXZ6GiE.jpg
    8SmVbS0.png

I don't want to spam the thread so here are more comparison pictures.

Gallery link if anyone wants it (the roof dome is a bit glitchy, you have to rotate it if some of the third floor windows don't appear and place new ones)
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    @bubbajoe621 Beautiful sims version <3<3<3 Yeah, I quit using photobucket long ago... now I use imgur.

@groovyboa That's a great work considering you only have the base game and how hard such a building is to recreate in the sims! <3<3<3
    Gwiniel wrote: »
    @bubbajoe621 Beautiful sims version <3<3<3 Yeah, I quit using photobucket long ago... now I use imgur.

Thank you, and thanks for the tip, I changed it.

groovyboa wrote: »
    I just remember that I used a lot of photo reference for this sort recreation of the Armour–Stiner House I did a while ago.

I can't believe I've never heard of this house before, thanks for posting a pic. You really rose to the challenge, it looks great, and super playable too.
    edited September 2019
    This is the Rose Seidler House, a mid-century gem from Sydney, Australia. I went the extra mile and made a recolor of the famous mural. The ANBS/Awesims butterfly chairs are the only other CC i used. Photo credit Mick Ross from Lisa Cugnetto.com

CC free version available on the gallery ID bubbajoe62.

P7eEQ8T.jpg

0TWCksP.jpg
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    Very ambitious @bubbajoe621! Some shapes are pretty daunting in the SIMs
    Very cool @bubbajoe621 !
  • wendyologywendyology Posts: 395 Member
    The new game pack is pretty much meant for the Witch's House of Beverly Hills (Spadena House). I'm pretty sure EA studied this as reference.

In 2009 during renovations.
    lkiYTGP.jpg

Loads of reference here. You can't do tours, it's a private home, but he's let a few video crews in.
    https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/exclusive-look-inside-witchs-house-beverly-hills/

Just doing the roofing yesterday took ages. Trying to decide if I'm brave enough to tackle terrain tools.
    1JmGkCr.png

Argh! Building a house with so many curves in a game that is all about right angles!
    KCF9DXw.png
    I feel your pain, on the angles and curves. Looks like you;ve got a great start. =)
    edited September 2019
    Awesome work by far @wendyology <3<3<3
    Post edited by Gwiniel on
    wendyology wrote: »
    The new game pack is pretty much meant for the Witch's House of Beverly Hills (Spadena House). I'm pretty sure EA studied this as reference.

Another new one for me! Your build is amazing, please show when you finish it. I have really found my people.
    edited September 2019
    Just to put this thread at the top here is a simmified version of EcoHouse also know as the Tim Palen Studio. This is why I love Strangerville so much, my collection of odd desert shacks fit perfectly into these lots.

HRi2NAw.jpg

sIcRHJT.jpg

qzIvj0E.jpg

Hldylvw.jpg
    Love it @bubbajoe621 Is that a metal exterior or that T-111 looking wood siding we have?
    @Taoron That is k-omu's Corrugated Metal Wall v.2. The wall we got in Strangerville is super useful but not exactly right for container homes, which is what Ecohouse basically is.
    edited September 2019
    Cool! Another pack I don't have. LOL I've been dying to have metal/sheet metal for walls again. Looks like that's on my list.

Edit: Oh...it's CC? That explains it. =)
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    That is really nice build @babbajoe621
    @Taoron
    @JojoMOMSTER
    Thank you both! Yeah, CC...sigh. Some things just can't be simmified.
    edited September 2019
    I ran across the HGTV Urban Oasis 2019 home...wow, full set of floor plans and pics of every room from 20 different angles. How could I resist? It took all the angst out of building...so soothing just to follow the plan. What does it say about me that I got ROM and VG just to have that window and clock? Available on the gallery no CC ID bubbajoe62

hLHJbjk.jpg

TjNL8dc.jpg

ugZTZc2.jpg

4AIw2ht.jpg
    Post edited by bubbajoe621 on