Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    5nd1sli.png

#BnS126 The Collection is closed!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited September 2019
    amzznfq.png

The smell of roses permeates the entire office as you bask in the sunlight from the window behind your desk. Mentally you are constructing a small apartment building for your latest client. Karl's voice comes through on the intercom, spoiling the quiet of the moment. "Your 4:30 is here."

You hit the button on the intercom. "Send them in."

Your office door opens, and Karl ushers in a young, dark-haired couple. After you greet them and everyone is seated, the man speaks with a deep voice. "I am Jerome Washington, and this is my wife, Shirley. We appreciate you seeing us on short notice like this. We inherited a small piece of land in the middle of the city and a small amount of money a few months ago. We were thinking it was a strange place to put a house, and we were thinking of what we could do there when I lost my job at the factory with all those layoffs last week. The money we got is not going to last long."

Shirley takes up the story. "Then my cousin Lashay suggested we try selling my baked goods, like nut breads and cookies, since they are always hits at family gatherings. After a little thought, we decided that selling my baking with our favorite tea blends would be really cool. So we want to build a tea shop on the land."

"Awesome! That sounds like a great idea! We don't have a tea shop in town yet," you say encouragingly.

"But now, our little plot of land needs to do double duty. Our apartment building is being demolished soon, so now we need a new home, too," Mr. Washington explains.

"We have a two year old," Mrs. Washington adds. "And just yesterday we found out we are having twins in about six months. Would it be possible to do a building with the tea shop on the bottom and a house on top, like they used to do it in the old days?"

"We can certainly do that," you agree. "Living above a storefront is coming back into fashion, especially among the younger generation."

"The shop is easy," Mr. Washington continues. "A back area with baking and tea brewing equipment. The customer section needs a counter and display area, about five small tables that seat 2 to 4 people each, and public restrooms. The home part needs to have a set of stairs into the back of the shop and another one on the outside of the building, for personal visitors. We need a minimum of three bedrooms , two and a half baths, and a large family space."

Mrs. Washington adds, "Since we will soon have three little ones, I need a big kitchen so I can do the baking upstairs, too, while I watch the kids. The budget is only $85,000" though, she says with a worried tone.

You take a deep breath, knowing you've done more on less money in the past. "Okay. I know you need a place to live very soon, so how does two weeks sound?" you offer.

The young couple smile at each other and say in unison, "Done!"

The Brief:
    • Due 18th September
    • Budget is $85,000 (since lot was inherited you DO NOT need to include lot cost this time)
    • 30x40 or smaller lot
    • Parking for at least 3 cars and landscaping
    • The build should include:
      Tea Shop: restrooms, 5 tables that seat 2 to 4 each, counter space with a cash register, a display area, large baking area in the back with stairs to the living area above, and an outside staircase to the living area.
      Living Area: a minimum of three bedrooms and 2.5 baths, a large family space, and a baking kitchen for testing new recipes as well as cooking for the family

Room Challenge:Create the kid's bathroom. Your budget is $10,000.

Sims Challenge:Create the Washington family and show them in the shop and in their home. Be sure to include likes, skills, and clothing choices for each sim in your media slideshow. Family must include Jerome, Shirley, and their 2-year-old child. You can either include infant twins or Shirley as an expectant mother.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    Just to double-check, there's no way to make a lot split commercial/residential, right? For the lot settings it has to be established as either-or?
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    Just to double-check, there's no way to make a lot split commercial/residential, right? For the lot settings it has to be established as either-or?

Yes. I've actually done something similar before, though on a 30x20 lot. In that case, the family owned an empty 20x15 lot but stayed in their bakery /residence while I controlled them. The bakery was zoned retai. An early version, The Cakery, is up on the gallery if you want a look.
    image.png
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    These things are going to be the death of me. Business done. Out of money. It's okay for babies to sleep on a bare flor, right?
  • DevilariahDevilariah Posts: 124 Member
    AliSim19 wrote: »
    @Devilariah Wow!! You just made my jaw drop with that first shot, that’s an awesome build and great picture....almost looks like a painting! And then the inside was just as impressive, love it all....really really well done 💖😁

Thank you! :*:)
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    and, and,, and. . . . The not one but TWO staircases spec above can have 💥 🎈 🎉 a landing or several, be L-shaped maybe, box shaped perhaps 🎊 🎈 💥

Thank you Devs!!!!!!

@SimGuruGraham
  • AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    Oh my, my head is already whirling!

Couple of questions please:

- so a tea shop near me is a shop that pretty much just sells lots of different kinds of loose leaf tea but might have a table or two for sitting tasting (baked goods would be packaged to take home), while a tea room would be a kind of cafe that sells tea and cakes.....reading the the challenge I think it’s probably aimed at the second but want to make sure I’m translating it right? Not sure the budget will stretch to both if Taoron spent up on the shop before I’d even read the challenge haha!

- I really haven’t played retail much, does it matter whether I save the lot as a shop or as residence, or is either fine?

Thank you!

Sorry, forgot one - challenge says ‘two to three bedrooms’ and also ‘minimum of three’, which shall I aim for?

Great idea by the way, sorry if I’m being a pain!
    @Taoron poor babies! I think it’s Sweden that give out cardboard box cribs to all new mothers so maybe you could go with that option though 😉
  • lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    Taoron wrote: »

@Taoron Your museum is wonderful! It reminds me of one in colonial Williamsburg that I've visited a few times.

Then I did it right. ;) I was just there a few weeks ago, and spent the entire 3rd day in the Museum, so it was stuck in my head. Thank you.

Oh that's awesome! I hope you got to find the secret cafe off of colonial main street. They have the best apple cider (and amazing gingerbread and cocoa in the winter)
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
    edited September 2019
    @Taoron poor babies! I think it’s Sweden that give out cardboard box cribs to all new mothers so maybe you could go with that option though 😉

LOL

I stared a new building. Maybe the third time will be the charm and I can actually decorate. If not, they're all going to live in a box, or a Van..down by the river.
    Post edited by Taoron on
    Taoron wrote: »

@Taoron Your museum is wonderful! It reminds me of one in colonial Williamsburg that I've visited a few times.

Then I did it right. ;) I was just there a few weeks ago, and spent the entire 3rd day in the Museum, so it was stuck in my head. Thank you.

Oh that's awesome! I hope you got to find the secret cafe off of colonial main street. They have the best apple cider (and amazing gingerbread and cocoa in the winter)

We did! We splurged the first day and a half and then found a grocery store though (in the shopping distruct, the college kids were no help at all in that..."Uhhh...no...there's no grocery stores in the area." *Food lion 3/4 a mile away...ugh) and we saved some money. In the park, it was mostly mediocre, not period food, way too high priced, for what it was. Luckily, we stayed in one of the private homes in the park itself (Actually the boarding house that Jefferson lived in, when he was there at University) and got Breakfast vouchers for the Inn and Lodge, for all three mornings, which was amazing!!
    So i assumed the lot cost wasn't included in the budget as they inherited the plot and the brief didn't specify while it normally does.
    But... Should we include it in the budget? :p

*please say no*please say no*
    Sorry, forgot one - challenge says ‘two to three bedrooms’ and also ‘minimum of three’, which shall I aim for?

Great idea by the way, sorry if I’m being a pain!

Fixed that - it should be three :)

Devilariah wrote: »
    So i assumed the lot cost wasn't included in the budget as they inherited the plot and the brief didn't specify while it normally does.
    But... Should we include it in the budget? :p

*please say no*please say no*

Since we forgot to specify, we'll go with no - lot cost is NOT part of the $85,000 budget :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Thank you @Devilariah for getting us some relief. I think lot cost is included unless specifically excluded so good job getting us the concession.
  • AlJayAlJay Posts: 1,649 Member
    Is anyone else having as much fun as me with the new stairs and windows!?! I started my build this morning and will probably have to scale this idea, as the shell is already $20,000, but I am totally having fun with the new stuff :)
    H6hKI7r.png
    Not yet but your build looks fantastic!!!!
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    AlJay wrote: »
    Is anyone else having as much fun as me with the new stairs and windows!?! I started my build this morning and will probably have to scale this idea, as the shell is already $20,000, but I am totally having fun with the new stuff :)
    H6hKI7r.png

I am. And my shell also blew past 20,00, without even windows and siding, so I'll have to figure something out.
    image.png
    *does a little dance*

@BuildnShare thnx =)
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    The budget for this one is extra tight! I am getting very close to the end of it and still have the bathrooms and bedrooms to do. Has anyone else made the $85,000 budget? Or is everyone going over?
    I've got structure, layout, business space mostly furnished, no wall textures, no floor textures, no kitchens, no plumbing, no electronics, no landscaping, no furniture for family and no cardboard boxes for the babies and I'm running just over 55k.

This one is a bit of a mind bend for sure! We like challenges over here so we're good!
    C2j2XKg.png
  • Archer_GirlArcher_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    iampes23 wrote: »
    The budget for this one is extra tight! I am getting very close to the end of it and still have the bathrooms and bedrooms to do. Has anyone else made the $85,000 budget? Or is everyone going over?

In order to stay in the budget I'm building on a small lot but I've run out of space. No way I can make a 3rd bedroom or an additional half bath. I enjoy a challenge but this one might be beyond my skills.
    I'm at 85k and i am notttt done with furnishing... :'(
    Starting over for a 3rd time ;p
    I'm on my second build. I'm just under $85k and I think I am finished. I have all of the requirements and some extras. The home is a little sparse, but I'm going to go back in and see what DEBUG items I can add in for free. I went with a 30x20 lot and built a 2 story loft on top of the shop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top