Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Diversity, Where Are BlueCollar (Physical Labor) and Service Careers?

2...Next

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Having tried the door to door sales bit a few times I can say from experience that even if there were no loading screens it's not a job a sim would want. Too easy to have negative income.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2019
    Unless you live in the city I don't think we ever see door to door sales people now a days. It has been over 30 years since I have seen a sales person and that person was selling subscriptions to magazines for his college fraternity, I lived in the White Mountains of New Hampshire then. In places like that and where I live now in Maine - jobs that used to be plentiful no longer exist when you can buy everything you need from the internet. It would cost sales people more in gas for their cars to try and make a living in places like Maine, New Hampshire, etc and why we never see sales people. Like my town only has about 1500 year round residents - we have lots of tourists and vacationers - its a town to visit and vacation in - not work in unless your job is related to tourism and rentals, landscaping and tourist attractions. Guides, fishboats rental, camping - that kind of thing.

Maine and New Hampshire has towns like mine all over the place -few cities....

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Unless you live in the city I don't think we ever see door to door sales people now a days. It has been over 30 years since I have seen a sales person and that person was selling subscriptions to magazines for his college fraternity, I lived in the White Mountains of New Hampshire then. In places like that and where I live now in Maine - jobs that used to be plentiful no longer exist when you can buy everything you need from the internet. It would cost sales people more in gas for their cars to try and make a living in places like Maine, New Hampshire, etc and why we never see sales people. Like my town only has about 1500 year round residents - we have lots of tourists and vacationers - its a town to visit and vacation in - not work in unless your job is related to tourism and rentals, landscaping and tourist attractions. Guides, fishboats rental, camping - that kind of thing.

Then service jobs for our Sims would make sense wouldn't they? Not saying you would want to play them but some who have those jobs would like to see those jobs in the game for our played Sims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited September 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Then service jobs for our Sims would make sense wouldn't they? Not saying you would want to play them but some who have those jobs would like to see those jobs in the game for our played Sims.

But those jobs have already been long represented in the Sims as service jobs for the Sims we don't play (NPCs) we have gardeners (landscapers), repairmen (carpenters/plumber,electricians), mail people, etc. Whenever we did marry those NPCs their jobs ceased to exist for them once they no longer were service sims as service jobs are not full enough for a sims job and it's climb up a ladder as they do not climb up a ladder like the jobs our Sims can have technically. In many of those jobs different laws apply for those to gain ranks - licensing etc especially seeing they can not gain rank just for being likeable and good at what they do - they require licenses to gain rank - and it does not matter how likeable or hated they are they have totally different requirements then the kind of jobs playable sims usually get.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited September 2019
    In my city we have a lot of various parcel delivery drivers, a multitude of pizza, curry and chinese food delivery men, policemen, park rangers, tree surgeons, road work, pothole menders, Council workers of all kinds, hotels, shops........ CityLife could have had so much more. All we got is Festivals and those are no joke if you live where there is one that lasts a month!

What I really, really want at this moment in the UK is a chance to make Councillors and Parliamentary members whose lives I could make miserable in my game!
    I would just like to see physical labor careers (more open/hands on) type instead of all the social media inspired jobs. It seems to me our Sims are too good to get their own hands dirty, and want those pie jobs. Let the poor townies (outcast) do the work. I was pleased one time to see some of my own Sims out and about picking up trash, in the parks late at night. Then I realised the only ones who do that have the insane trait.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I have always wanted more "regular" jobs. Not everyone can or should be a high flyer. I end up with a lot of sims in the Business career because I've mostly done office work so that resonates with me.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I agree with this. It's sad when the business career is the most "everyday" job. This was apparent when they left firefighter out og the get to work pack. Our sims can't even swet it out in their own store or restaurant. I tend to fill a save with my own sims so I'd love to be able to set who the service sims are and play them. Like I'd love to have a sim be a mail carrier and have an active postal worker career. I think the devs understand what an everyday job is they just don't want to put them in game. I was glad when they opened up the part time jobs for teens and up so hopefully that means the team is aware that there's a desire for this amongst the community.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    There's a thread (i think it's in the ideas corner) about factories.

Factories need workers. It's not usually high skilled work, but it does require specific skills, and it can be as shift work. 12 hour shifts, 4 days on, 4 days off.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I was a teacher, and my eldest daughter is a teacher also. My second daughter is studying to be a nurse. It would be nice to be able to have those professions in game.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    I was a teacher, and my eldest daughter is a teacher also. My second daughter is studying to be a nurse. It would be nice to be able to have those professions in game.

Do you use mods? If so, Neia has a mod for an Education career with several branches. I also found a Nursing career but I can't remember the creator's name off the top of my head.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Hello Simmers! hello everyone at maxis! i love the sims! i think that a career pack would be awesome!! with jobs and careers that are ireal in every way, you are all great at what you do and i know that this could be done, yes the sims have a variety of careers, but the community is speaking out, please take time to read the forums, because i know for a fact that if you all did a career pack with all everyday jobs, people would buy the pack, lets work together, i would buy the pack! please listen to your community of loyal simmers, where would you be if it weren't us? a loyal simmer :)<3
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    edited September 2019
    Nursing and police officers are considered blue collar jobs. Just dont promote you sim past level 5 of the doctor/detective career path.
    *But I agree we need more realistic working class jobs*
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    There are many types of careers in TS4 but most require a pc at home or going to library or somewhere to use one.
    What isn't in game are blue collar jobs and or service jobs for our own Sims.

Plumber, Carpenter, builder, Painter (actual paints buildings), Waitress/waiter/hostess, Mechanic, general laborer, Clerk/cashier, Hotel houskeepers or maids, not everyone wants to be a CEO, and or an academic which we don't even have any of those do we? Such as professor or dean or teacher etc. ETA: Babysitter, care giver, nanny (our own Sim), housekeeper (for hire) to individual famlies, stay at home daycare worker, long distance truck driver, delivery Sim, can deliver anything, (has to own vechicle), Uber Driver, Taxi driver. Electrician, Welder, Iron worker, Pavers, Landscapers.

Apprentice jobs, interns of those careers, like a helper, manual laborer like someone who installs floors, dry wall, those who actually do the work.

Diversity should also include the rest of the world and those backbone jobs that make the world go around.

Just asking as I'm sort of tired of social networking careers being the only type of stay at home or work from home and or hands on jobs that are only for the doctor etc. Let's include everyone and the things some people actually enjoy doing and make a pretty good living doing.

ETA: Expand jobs to include more physical labor jobs. And I will leave you with this tune: She works hard for the money, so hard for it honey, so you better treat her right.~~~~

Love it!!
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    telemwill wrote: »

Do you use mods? If so, Neia has a mod for an Education career with several branches. I also found a Nursing career but I can't remember the creator's name off the top of my head.

Thank you! I will check that out.
    edited September 2019
    Bobisbae wrote: »
    I agree with this. It's sad when the business career is the most "everyday" job. This was apparent when they left firefighter out og the get to work pack. Our sims can't even swet it out in their own store or restaurant. I tend to fill a save with my own sims so I'd love to be able to set who the service sims are and play them. Like I'd love to have a sim be a mail carrier and have an active postal worker career. I think the devs understand what an everyday job is they just don't want to put them in game. I was glad when they opened up the part time jobs for teens and up so hopefully that means the team is aware that there's a desire for this amongst the community.

A lot of states do not have paid fire departments - we have volunteer fire department - my husband is a volunteer fireman. They carry pagers and get paged TO THE STATION WHEN A FIRE OR AMBULANCE EMERGENCY OCCURS - only cities have paid and attended fire departments. So not having fire departments is not unusual in many states. My husband has been a volunteer fireman for 32 years in two different towns and a trained volunteer EMT in those towns as well. You have to also hold another job to earn paychecks but volunteer fire people leave their paying job to attend fires and medical emergencies for no pay ever. They go through the same training any fireman or emt get and gets certified - they are dedicated people for sure.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    This is a great idea! It also makes the game more immersive, because maybe your sim needs a plumber and the person who comes to fix it is your other sim, who is a plumber. I'd LOVE that sort of continuity. Sims having service jobs and blue collar jobs, and then working those jobs when I'm playing another family.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yep, we need more of these types of jobs in the game. That's why I was thrilled when they enabled teen jobs for adults. I'm not fond of all my sims being astronauts, super villains, A-list celebrities and secret agents...
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    This is a great idea! It also makes the game more immersive, because maybe your sim needs a plumber and the person who comes to fix it is your other sim, who is a plumber. I'd LOVE that sort of continuity. Sims having service jobs and blue collar jobs, and then working those jobs when I'm playing another family.

It could work like some opportunitites in TS3 where they call your SIm to come out and fix their problem. But on a daily basis like a fireman in TS3. Just as examples of how it could be implemented. In TS2 I built a garage for a mechanic and made him work on those junkers and pretend he sold them because on a home lot you can't sell fixed up cars, lol. However, he could still run his home garage and sell things like tools, snacks from a vending machine and many other things all while his 'customers' hung out in the office and waiting room while he worked on cars. I would like to see that sort of open career in TS4 or a later game. His little rooms were above his garage, off limits to those who stopped by. It was a lot of fun.