Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Release the dev kit to create worlds

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I'm another that misses te TS2 style multi-purpose community lots here. The closest I've been able to come to that is my 'Ladybird Landing'. Flagged as a restaurant, it also has a small gym, bar (with dart board, table game, & elec. piano) quiet room for reading & chess, and 4 rooms for staying overnight. When I take a sim there it's usually a busy place, including the subsidiary areas.
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2019
    Sims 2 sub-hoods say hello.

Those sub neighborhoods were bigger than some of Sims 4's full neighborhoods. You could easily fit around 20 to 30 lots in some of them, like Downtown or Bluewater Village (I think that's what it was called). It makes Forgotten Hollow with its 5 lots look pretty weak.

I don't see a Sims 4 world building tool being able to do the something on the same level somehow, considering what's been said about places like Windenburg and such.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Worlds in previous games were separated, that's why they could be big, as they were standalone.

I already have no idea where any of my sims are invited, too many lots I don't recognize the names of.

I'm not attacking people wanting bigger worlds, you should always ask your money worth, and tbh I could have used one more community lot in Strangerville but I'm struggling to understand: what are you gonna need space for, your 10th gym ? Your 20th bar ?
    Do you only play one world in a new save and never visit anywhere else ?

The small worlds wouldn't be too bad if so many lots (especially the nice, big ones) didn't tend to be already occupied by pre-made families or empty pre-made houses that are too expensive for your sim to afford with their starting funds. The free real-estate cheat has always been frustrating for me to figure out when I'm supposed to plug it in, and I've never been able to get it to work when just starting a save. I also prefer larger lots, because I like to build up to big houses. When I open up a new world and see that the big lots are mostly occupied by starter-unfriendly homes and pre-made sims, it's really frustrating. Newcrest is alright...but we need more blank worlds like that with different environments (desert, urban, tropical, etc.). For me, it's about the freedom to place my sims wherever the heck I want at the beginning of a save. For others, it's about housing multiple branches from their family lineages, or just being able to go into a save exclusively meant for building and not having to evict all the pre-made sims and demolish all the pre-built buildings just to have the spots they want to make the builds they want. That's why people are bothered by how tiny the worlds have been, not because of a reluctance to travel or the desire for 10 gyms or 20 bars.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Hear, hear! Tell it like it is!
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    EA/Maxis could easily change the real estate issue if they allowed multi-use lots. Better yet, code the game so that the Sims will use whatever activities are places on the lot, not simply what the venue tells them that they may use.

Before someone says that this is not possible, TS3 started out with restrictive venues and requirements, exactly like TS4. Somewhere along the way, the Devs got rid of the infernal list of requirements for each venue. (You still need two more park benches!) The Sims were able to use whatever activity they wished, without restriction.

Why don't the Devs open up play in TS4? In that way, there could be bars, nightclubs, movie theaters, shopping, etc., all on one lot, freeing up the other lots for other things. Also, take away the unnecessary restrictions on bartenders and shop attendants. Make them spawn automatically. A mall-type venue would be fabulous. One-stop activities, the rest of the town could be used for parks and residential areas.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Worlds in previous games were separated, that's why they could be big, as they were standalone.

I already have no idea where any of my sims are invited, too many lots I don't recognize the names of.

I'm not attacking people wanting bigger worlds, you should always ask your money worth, and tbh I could have used one more community lot in Strangerville but I'm struggling to understand: what are you gonna need space for, your 10th gym ? Your 20th bar ?
    Do you only play one world in a new save and never visit anywhere else ?

The small worlds wouldn't be too bad if so many lots (especially the nice, big ones) didn't tend to be already occupied by pre-made families or empty pre-made houses that are too expensive for your sim to afford with their starting funds. The free real-estate cheat has always been frustrating for me to figure out when I'm supposed to plug it in, and I've never been able to get it to work when just starting a save. I also prefer larger lots, because I like to build up to big houses. When I open up a new world and see that the big lots are mostly occupied by starter-unfriendly homes and pre-made sims, it's really frustrating. Newcrest is alright...but we need more blank worlds like that with different environments (desert, urban, tropical, etc.). For me, it's about the freedom to place my sims wherever the heck I want at the beginning of a save. For others, it's about housing multiple branches from their family lineages, or just being able to go into a save exclusively meant for building and not having to evict all the pre-made sims and demolish all the pre-built buildings just to have the spots they want to make the builds they want. That's why people are bothered by how tiny the worlds have been, not because of a reluctance to travel or the desire for 10 gyms or 20 bars.

Well, Maxis is likely to give one more in remaining years, unless extends the development even more, than luckily two. Since there's nothing that shows BG will be receiving more, and we be lying thinking they will be generous to give FIVE.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    They've said that releasing it is an option at some point, and I'm willing to bet that will be the end of 4's run when no more official content is being released. If they released tools now then players would be able to make their own worlds instead of having to buy new packs for new locations.

If this is really EA's line of thinking then it's already been disproven. TS3 made a killing selling overpriced worlds as DLC well after Create-a-World was released. TS4 never even had a "sell the world only" model. There's nothing to lose I'm sorry!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    EA/Maxis could easily change the real estate issue if they allowed multi-use lots. Better yet, code the game so that the Sims will use whatever activities are places on the lot, not simply what the venue tells them that they may use.

Agree 100%. It would be so much nicer if you could take any lot and add a bar, a stereo and a bowling alley and - BAM! - a bartender arrives and people order drinks, listen/dance to music and go bowling. I hate the way people crowd around a TV that I'm forced to put in my bar because Maxis says it's necessary (I've taken to hiding unwanted lot requirements in inaccessible basements).

On top of that, why not unlock lot types? What if I want to put a rental house in Windenburg so my San Myshuno sims can stay for a few nights? Why does my hospital have to be a huge building in a Willow Creek-style world, instead of a tiny doctor's office in Strangerville?

If they won't let players create their own worlds, they need to make in-game world editing a possibility. Make the worlds more flexible.

• Options
    aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    I'll add my voice to this request/plea/letter to Santa for a CAW-like tool/feature. It's not that I don't have enough worlds, it's just that I really hate the layout of quite a few of them... they just don't gel the way I'd like them to. I would love to be able to add or change some of the lots even if we were stuck with the given sizes (which we aren't - I've had a look at the base and expac code and I've already changed Sylvan Glade plot size to 55 x 48...) and to rearrange some of the surrounding landscape. It's not about amounts, it's about aesthetics, in my opinion.
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    In my opinion, I think they hurt the franchise and the reputation of The Sims and their own purse by not releasing such tools. One, instead of having to give away seven million basegames this past May, they could have had seven million sells of basegame by releasing a world editor, CAW. There are all types of players and Maxis is missing and wouldn't have to chase new players who have no idea what this franchise was about, by just supporting the base/core fanbase. Many modders won't even touch TS4, who worked on all others. There is that section of players/consumers.

Besides those who play a game to actually play it as intended with all it's levels, aspirations, skill learning etc. I'll call them achievers who play exactly how it's laid out without detering into story but trying to complete everything there are players who never play that way or may do some of it but their play is on the story in their head and the journey their Sim is on, or their towns. Then there are those who must play a legacy, and never move out of one house after ten genarations of Sims. Maxis misses out on creators of worlds who could boost sales for other content.

Besides those who just use this game to do a live play session, which rarely actually play, there are those who play this franchise just to edit and make machinima and or screen shots to tell a made up story which may or may not even be possible and most things edit to seem those things happened, or used to cheats to get the look or action to seem like it happened.

But Maxis chases those who have never played and overlook the one group they no longer have. The World Builders who inspire other players to try it, buy it, use it, (the game) and inspired thousands to stay engaged while they waited on new world from a world builder. If Maxis was so smart they would have included this type of 'player' from the get go and wouldn't have had to have so many sales and or give away a base for free. Because modders and world builders would buy and do stuff for the community of Simmers, even if they don't like a game, as long as they can create. And Maxis should have learned that lesson by now.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.