Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you make the Sims 4 fun again?

SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
I want to hear the ways you make the Sims 4 enjoyable. Whether it be challenges, gameplay, stories, etc, I want to know.

I've sort of been 'off' the Sims 4 for a few weeks, which is super surprising because I'm usually an avid player. Upon returning to it, I just don't feel that interested. I had a huge generational family that I was working on, but it seems like no matter what I try to add into their story/gameplay, that I just don't find it fun anymore.

So what do you do when you lose interest? Challenge recommendations?

Yes, I do have more than one game. Several games, actually. I have been playing a lot of different ones lately, but I was hoping to return to the Sims 4 by now. I miss being creative in the Sims 4 and I sort of miss how much fun I had playing it.

Edit: I also might be open to mods that would make it more interesting ;)
giphy.gif
Post edited by Summerjase on

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    When I lose interest, I just play a game for a month, or until a new pack/patch comes out.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    When I lose interest, I just play a game for a month, or until a new pack/patch comes out.

Kind of what I've been doing for the past three or so weeks, but unfortunately a new pack isn't in my budget right now :/
    giphy.gif
    Summerjase wrote: »

Kind of what I've been doing for the past three or so weeks, but unfortunately a new pack isn't in my budget right now :/

But there'll be a patch soon- there's always that! If the configurable stairs don't help, I'm sure some crazy challenge will. If you'd like, I could link a huge (200+) list of Sims 4 challenges.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    When I lose interest, which always seems to happen just before a new release comes out. I will do other stuff, play other games.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I certainly own more than one video game.

But there'll be a patch soon- there's always that! If the configurable stairs don't help, I'm sure some crazy challenge will. If you'd like, I could link a huge (200+) list of Sims 4 challenges.

Sure, if you would kindly link me to said list. I'll read through it and hopefully find something :)
    giphy.gif
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    When I lose interest, which always seems to happen just before a new release comes out. I will do other stuff, play other games.

Kind of what I've been doing, but I need a break from GTA sometimes too ;)
    giphy.gif
    OEII1001 wrote: »

As do I :p
    giphy.gif
  • Silver_Ghost925Silver_Ghost925 Posts: 40 Member
    I intercalate my gaming sessions with other titles I own. But I gotta say, Sims 4 is the only one I keep playing after a couple of years and probably will keep enjoying it in the future.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

Knock, knock!

Who's there?

Amanda.

Amanda, who?

A Mandalorian! Pew, pew!

BmAjZJG.jpg

If I lose steam on a game, I take a break and play something else. My current TS4 save is keeping my interest however. It's nothing special, just generational, family play.
  • BaglamukhiBaglamukhi Posts: 38 Member
    i pray to jesus EA will release a quality gamepack soon
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    When I've lost interest, I take a break for a bit from playing. Sometimes this means focusing on other games or other times I'll focus on other things in my life that may be going on.

Sometimes, the latter can serve as a source of inspiration for my game such as when I build or decorate (for example, I may see something in real life and then get inspired to want to build/decorate or replicate what I may have seen) or maybe I might issue myself a personal challenge to limit myself to certain items or have sims living off-the-grid or in different eras, etc.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited September 2019
    depends how you usually play
    I recommend doing exact opposite of it for one save at least

play too much families?
    don't cause any kids

play too much couples?
    ban romance

only skill your sims?
    well, sims will gain skills but don't use books or skill objects on purpose of skilling

always trying to complete same career?
    choose different one youd never choose or don't allow your sims a career

cheat?
    just don't

don't cheat?
    cheat away and cause weird things happen

don't play premades?
    play ONLY with premades

play premades and make no sims?
    create a world of sims and play with them

never build?
    build whole world

build too much?
    only allow yourself to change insides of premade houses

always build with same stuff?
    just build with other stuff

or think of a ridiculous theme
    like trying to fit every princess cordelia item in one room so it makes sense

and so on

personally i used to always delete premades but it turns out i find it way more fun to play with them than my own sims now so at least for me worked
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free

Sure, if you would kindly link me to said list. I'll read through it and hopefully find something :)

@Summerjase

The link you requested.

http:/https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/906643/sims-4-challenge-list-updated-july-1st-2019/p1
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »

I’m the same. Just before new content drops, the anticipation overwhelms my interest because I just want to get my hands on the new stuff :)

The challenges are often a good boost of interest, but also, if you have a save already and it’s not fun, start a brand new one. Try out the CAS Stories, a simple challenge, poke at build mode and see if you can build something you haven’t before. Experiment :)

Hope you find a way to make the game fun again. If not, take a break and play something else for a while.
  • shannonavashannonava Posts: 20 Member
    I tend to recreate Sims 2 stories and play with them instead. Or play the older sims games, I find it hard to keep Sims 4 interesting without buying new packs sometimes
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Just play the game really. I never stuck with challenges as it is more fun when unexpected things happen with less rules and limitations. Sometimes I will switch sims and see how their lives play out. One the other day decided it would be a good idea to go swimming even though it was freezing cold and snowing and discovered the Polar Bear challenge that way. Another seemed to want to pick up programming. They decided one day to research program and I saw them practicing and making a mod on their own.

It is actually fun to watch them and see what happens. Some flirted with others, some ruined relationships, etc...like a never ending soap opera.

Explore different careers, aspirations (that alone can take some time to complete). I sometimes discover something I never knew by trying different things.

Saw a sim smash cake in their spouses face once. Someone recently posted a picture of a sim washing a cupcake, I noticed clumsy sims actually break dishes when washing dishes (I found that out when I heard crashing noises and went to see what was happening), etc....take your time and you will notice all sorts of things.

I once added a kleptomaniac unknowingly at first in one of the clubs I made and noticed items started to slowing go missing. A neat sim was cleaning even computer desks on his own (that isn't even an option I think). Goofballs great sims in an unusual way.

If you only play with a few sims or just speed the game up, you are probably missing out on things.

A sim lost her elderly mother and the grim reaping started to follow her around the house and flirt with her even though she is married with kids and her mom just died. That was interesting. The ghost grandma would actually help care for the babies.

Try different emotions and watch them. Angry sims will stomp around, kick trash cans and slam refrigerator doors, etc...erratic sims will be mean for no reason to others. Has no mean trait and wasn't even angry and then flirt with them. Embarrassed sims will always try to hide, etc...

A vampire who just broke up with her boyfriend and had no sun resistant trait kept wanting to go out in the day time and stand outside and if I hadn't stopped her, well we all now what would of happened. It was strange and sad really and had to keep forcing her to go back inside. I noticed it seemed to be a habit of sims who are upset in general, they like to just go outside and ignore the weather or time of day. That was how one angry dinner guest froze to death. I think patches helped with that as at first, all my sims kept freezing to death.

Recently a celebrity sim just got a new stan who apparently thinks she lives in my sims apartment as she never seems to leave for long.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2019
    For me the loss of interest comes very quickly as it pertains to what Sims 4 lacks, I find creativity in Sims 4 unbending and challenged meaning you get to an certain level and you can't go beyond it and that irks me. It is like some trying to find thier legs and never finding them for me. New packs come in but they only provide an limited amount of fun before again I am at the point of losing interest and the packs are compromised in some form or fashion. It is like Sims 4 lost its mojo and you can't find it. Sims 4 for me can be fun again if certain features that allow me to create to my hearts desire such as altering lot sizes or even make my own as I hate the static sizes of the lots given and altering the neighborhoods styles to what I want. Loss of interest may still happen but it comes for me I play day in and day out. That goodness I play other games as when I try to go in SIms 4 I quickly come out.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    If you don't have mcc command center I highly recommend it as it allows you to customize your game a lot. You can extend life spans, when your sims get pregnant you can find out ahead of time how many they are having and what sex. You can even change the sex and how many kids they can have. Say your sim is having 1 baby a girl, with the mod you can make her have 3 females if you want or two males and 4 females. They can have up to six kids at a time if you set it that way. You can have more than 8 people in the house, you can set up frequency of alien abductions with this mod like no abductions to frequent abductions. you can customize population settings, etc. Check it out for yourself to see all the options you have. It is by deaderpool. I also have a mod where you can't cook unless you buy the ingredients so it makes it harder, because you have to buy multiple ingredients to buy the things you need to make meals, and if your sims don't have a lot of money it can make it a real struggle. I would go to mod the sims to look up different mods, but make sure they are updated as an outdated mod can cause issues. A lot of people swear by Kawaii Slice of Life Mod, and UI cheats extension mod.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    I get bored frequently so if there isn’t another game to distract me, I usually have several challenges in place. Right now running a Legacy on gen 4, and my break from that is my edited super sim challenge.

Controlling 1 sim vs a multi-gen family is a nice break.

I’ve tried to get a couple 100 babies challenges off the ground but I haven’t found a good enough founder yet- aka the genetics of the babies bore me or look... odd. So I need to make a sim with genetics that mix in interesting ways with other sims to keep it interesting.

Oooh, the ISBI challenge is always fun, but once again haven’t found a founder to keep me invested yet.

Generally I pick challenges that allow me to try something different. The reason why super sim and legacy are my main two right now is because they are practically opposites- one sim vs dozens. Complete control bs carefully choreographed chaos. Strict ‘do this than this and now this goal’ guidelines vs ‘come oooon randomizer pls give me something good.’

Similarly, I like the 100 baby challenge and ISBI because they offer a structural difference. ISBI allows me to see more autonomous actions and limits my puppet master tendencies, whereas 100 baby lets me play with genetics and cackle.
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    edited September 2019
    I am actually getting to the point where I question my decision to keep up with Sims 4. I own everything currently available, but the game can't hold my interest. I buy a new pack and get tired after a few hours, if I really push myself I can get a weekends worth of play out of the new pack. But no matter how much money I spend on new packs it doesn't fix the game for me. What Sims 4 lacks is personalty, and accountability. If a Sim finds out their romantic partner is married we should get more then a moment of annoyance, and then they forget about it and walk up and kiss the cheater. Goodness, I miss the days when Sims had some good drama.

So Sims 4 sits on the sidelines while I put 100s of hours into Fallout or other games. Sort of sad really, because Sims 4 has alot of wasted potential.
    Post edited by APotts on
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    So what do you do when you lose interest?
    I got a part time job to supplement my full time career. The part job is just for the summer/fall so I can buy another computer game that caught my interest. The part time job is also going to fund my new computer that I need to play the new game.
    I still play The Sims but not as much as I did before two jobs. Maybe with a new computer I can play on ultra and have a whole experience.
    Anyway ...
    The only whims thing that I did in one save was very fun. You let whims and the game control your Sim and it makes a very interesting story. My male Sim got abducted by aliens... and had triplets! Can't get bored with that. lol ... but I did. I lost interest right before the kids became teens. Can't play teens. I wish I could turn off the parenthood crap. I kill teens with that sluggish walk. I don't like to kill Sims so I do not play teens. The parenthood messages are annoying. I could disable the pack but then I would miss the objects. I don't know what it is but I seldom play a family after the toddler stage. I think that those parenthood messages pop up and ruin the my immersion that I had going. I don't like having to make decisions that negatively damage my Sim child no matter what I choose. I would love to turn that crap off.
    Okay
    .... Right now I have two young adult Sims running a store that sells art that she paints and photos they both take. Photos do not sell for much so she paints and does the fashion career also. He mostly runs the store while she paints and writes fashion columns. I had him in the freelance photo career but I made him quit because of the bug. (rumor has it that they might fix it with today's patch) I built her a little office at the store. She can jump in and help if needed because she works from home. When the store is closed they travel around to take more photos to sell while also completing the friend of the world aspiration. She needs charisma for her job. Might as well get some points along the way.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I play rotational so I don't really loose interest because my game is always changing depending which families I play. If I did loose interest I would probably play something else like elder scrolls or maybe even wow if I'm completely desperate. :D
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    It depends on if I've been focusing too much on one thing. If I've been focusing on sims too much, I'll build something if I'm in the mood. If I'm wearing myself out on building, I'll focus on sims. Right now for fun, I've been doing photoshoots of my favorite sims. If I'm just not feeling it at all and I cant get new content, that's a sign that I need to do something else entirely. So I'll pick up some other video games that have been on the backburner for awhile.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Baglamukhi wrote: »
    i pray to jesus EA will release a quality gamepack soon

that would indeed be miraculous to the point of unbelievability