Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does it Bother You That Magic is a Lifestate?

12346...Next

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I Would Have Preferred Magic to be a Skill
    WolfNate wrote: »
    dsef wrote: »
    It definitely should be a life state, if you look at harry potter there and lotr they aren't really "humans" and they pretty much live longer than humans too.

Minor note but the what 5? Wizards in Lord of The Rings are actually not even human their more or less described as servants of ME's god who sent them to assist Middle Earth in kicking the rogue archangel Sauron's evil behind.

Correct only 5. Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast and two others who are only mentioned once in the unfinished tales. They are immortal spirits who took on a human body (all male and immediately adults) to help guide the people of Middle earth. Very different from the Harry Potter wizards who are born, grow up, start families (with other wizards/witches or muggles) and eventually grow old.

Sorry but as a LOTR fan I couldn't resist. These are two very different kind of wizard.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    I'm Perfectly Happy With Magic Being a Life State
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    WolfNate wrote: »
    dsef wrote: »
    It definitely should be a life state, if you look at harry potter there and lotr they aren't really "humans" and they pretty much live longer than humans too.

Minor note but the what 5? Wizards in Lord of The Rings are actually not even human their more or less described as servants of ME's god who sent them to assist Middle Earth in kicking the rogue archangel Sauron's evil behind.

Correct only 5. Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast and two others who are only mentioned once in the unfinished tales. They are immortal spirits who took on a human body (all male and immediately adults) to help guide the people of Middle earth. Very different from the Harry Potter wizards who are born, grow up, start families (with other wizards/witches or muggles) and eventually grow old.

Sorry but as a LOTR fan I couldn't resist. These are two very different kind of wizard.

Me too, so I'll add to this as well! (LOVE Tolkien's works!)

I believe that Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast and the two Blue Wizards are all Maiar, serving the Valar (equivalent to angels or gods), as is Sauron, who served Melkor/Morgoth - the corrupt Valar. :)
    #Team Occult
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited September 2019
    I actually like the mermaids as they can do more in Sims 4 them Sims 3 and their disguise (and so much easier to customize) just makes them look like other sims so it is not that obvious which is the point of disguises (so I am glad they don't have any leg scales, I never liked that); but I do agree we need more life states as we only had a few.

Any sim besides aliens can find a way to become a spellcaster so as other said, you don't have to be born as one or made in CAS (I think some people are reading way too much into that and making it out to be something it is not. Sims don't see themselves as better as others in the game, so they don't think about pure blood nor has any player said anything like that unless it is for a story line). It also makes magic special as you have to earn it and do more than just read a book to require that skill that sim can't just randomly pick up. It is like a quest which makes in fun. Plus if like Vampires, can really help flesh them out. Maybe different curses prevents users to cast certain types of magic or something.

If just a skill, I would be really disappointed as it would be too limited and miss out on a lot of neat features. I want a good magic system and that requires putting a lot of focus on that and the sims. How perks and curses make each one different similar to perks and weaknesses for Vampires depending on what the player chooses. Something many of us been wanting and waiting forever for as there aren't many occult sims.

Vampires already got their own abilities, so I am fine that they can't use magic. With perks, they can influence emotions, control/command sims, etc...magic would be too much really and would mess with their system. Even mermaids have a few of their own spells and can be like sirens which I like.
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    I have always preferred it to be a lifestate, probably always will to be honest. It keeps them in the realm of super natural to me. I prefer there to be a bit of difference in the sims world.

Plus I've done quite a few stories of witches vs humans and it has often been treated as spell casters not being humans story wise, so I'm a bit biased.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    I'm Neutral About This
    I figured it would be just like the vampire system. It doesn't bother me but I almost prefer the way magic was set up in the S3. Either way, I have wanted witches for a long time now. They were always my favorite. :)
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I'm more bothered that it will be too Harry Potter than proper witches.
  • 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    I'm Neutral About This
    Some of you are taking this way too seriously.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I Would Have Preferred Magic to be a Skill
    Disappointing.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Although I’m not a big occult player it makes sense for magic to be a life state as they have in all other sims franchises and also with aliens, vampires and mermaids in sims 4 however I do think ghosts should be able to be made in cas for those that want to play them