Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fresh install; game does not produce documents folder; game unplayable

thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
edited September 2019 in The Sims 2
Hello!

This is my third time installing TS2 UC on my PC. I installed it several years ago on my C drive, then uninstalled it to free up space. Last week, I installed it again on my D drive. However I learned the game was not built to handle multiple drives, so it didn't generate a Documents folder.

Then, I uninstalled the game, and installed it back to my C drive under the assumption it'd produce one there. I ran into the same issue I had when it was installed under my D/; drive.
The game boots perfectly fine, however, the main menu does not display any hoods.

YRNhXTf.png

ehMLoev.png

Help would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    Only thing that comes to my mind this fast is, did you make sure all the junk was removed after you uninstalled the game from your D drive?

I have had mine always at C, and I have had the EA games folder in My Documents every time. BUT it is been known that even after uninstaller, it sometimes does not delete all registery entries from previous installation well.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    Err, yeah. That's probably it ^^;

How do you remove the registry entries?
  • NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    edited September 2019
    How do you remove the registry entries?

Hi there, sorry for bumping this but I see you haven't gotten an answer.

You'll want to click 'Start' on your taskbar and search for 'run' and when open, type in regedit, confirm the administrative permissions, and your registry (editor) will open. The pathway you may find the files are in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\EA GAMES

If you're running TS2 Ultimate Collection, I think the pathway will be similar to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Origin or \Origin Games

A reason for the game not producing a new documents folder is likely because of there being duplicates, or if you're on The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection has the trademark in the title. I would personally recommend deleting all instances of The Sims 2 (with the game uninstalled), or possibly perform a repair in Origin and try to start the game again and see if it persists.

I can't really explain it, but if the TM symbol is the case, you can check out one of the replies from this thread
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Go to "Run" or press Windows + R then type "regedit" and open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then select SOFTWARE

For 32-Bit: Find "EA GAMES" folder and open "the sims 2" double-click on the Display Name then you will see the pop-up. Delete "™" from Value Data text field and the problem will solved.

For 64-Bit: Open "Wow6432Node" then Find "EA GAMES" folder and open "the sims 2" double-click the Display Name then you will see the pop-up. Delete "™" from Value Data text field and the problem will solved. The Sims 2 "tm" Ultimate Collection Is listed on the right hand side next to display name, after opening the Sims 2.

I hope I could help. :)
    Thank you! I'm going to try this later. :)
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    @thesimmer14
    Ouch, sorry, I simply did not got any notification that you answered untill now , after @Noogster replied. But yes just as they said. :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • mandyssims93mandyssims93 Posts: 122 Member
    Thanks, this helped me too. :)
    edited October 2019
    Hi. I finally got around to trying this.
    I deleted the "TM" from the Reg, but now it's generating an error saying "The Sims 2 is not installed on this system, or some required filed have been deleted. This expansion pack requires The Sims 2 in order to run. Please install The Sims 2 before attempting to run this application."

My next move is going to be repair via Origin, but I'm not really sure if that'll help [or if it's just not recognizing the game because I deleted "TM".]
    Additionally, when I looked at the reg, there were two "folders" -- The Sims 2, and The Sims 2: Fun With Pets Collection. Only one had the display name value, which was The Sims 2.

[EDIT -- I hit "update" instead of repair, which then allowed the game to boot. But the lack of neighborhoods still persisted. I guess my next step would be to remove ALL registry files corresponding to TS2, then re-install it?]
    So, I figured out that my game is producing neighborhood files. I think the folder that they're in is generating in the wrong place, for some reason -- and the game can't find them on boot.

Could someone kindly tell if this folder belongs in Documents?

B3huJxY.png
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    @thesimmer14 That should be installed into the sims 2 main folder. You should have in Sims 2 document folder cameras, collections, config, lockedbins, logs, and much more. It installed wrong on your computer.
    Where should The Sims 2 Main Folder be? Under Program Files..?
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    What you are showing in the picture are the files in your Computer (PC); Those are the installed game files. NOT your save files.

I don't know how that address shows those files under Documents.

This is my Documents save files for TS2. The top address shows Documents/EA Games/...

bieRY3N.jpg

What you show... is That actually your saves in your Documents folder?

This shows where my game files are stored in My Computer:

IZAulMk.jpg

Rflong7 wrote: »
    What you are showing in the picture are the files in your Computer (PC); Those are the installed game files. NOT your save files.

I don't know how that address shows those files under Documents.

This is my Documents save files for TS2. The top address shows Documents/EA Games/...

bieRY3N.jpg

What you show... is That actually your saves in your Documents folder?

This shows where my game files are stored in My Computer:

IZAulMk.jpg

I thought so. Thanks for the reference. I deleted both my EA games AND The Sims 2 UC folders from my drive, and am installing it again [for the fifth time.... aaargh].

Origin prompts me to download it under C/Documents when the installation dialogue pops up. Maybe this is the issue..? Or is that prompt just asking me where I want my EA Games folder to go?

I don't remember Origin asking me to put it anywhere. If it is wanting to put it in Documents, don't let it.
    edited October 2019
    I noticed that there was no Origin Games folder generated under Program Files this install.

This is really, really weird.

eW3mPKN.png
    As you can see, whenever I try to download anything from Origin, this box defaults to my Documents folder. I don't know how this happened. Last install attempt, I tried creating an Origin Games folder myself under Program Files, dragged The Sims 2 folder into it and tried to launch. No change.

Could someone share where their Origin client prompts them to download?

Edit: I restored the default under Application Settings. I'm going to try and download it again. Will update
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    In Origin itself, go to Origin --> Application Settings --> Installs & Saves.

In that section should be a spot called Game Library location. That needs to be whereever you install your programs. So something like C:\Program Files\Origin Games
    Re-installed. STILL no EA Games folder being generated, neither in my C or D drive. This is so frustrating... :s >:(
    Do you have any other Origin games installed?
    Yes. The Sims 4. @Rflong7
    Then you should have an Origin Games folder in your computer files. Direct the install there. Don't create a folder, it should create one.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Then you should have an Origin Games folder in your computer files. Direct the install there. Don't create a folder, it should create one.

I opened the file location of my TS4 icon. It was under my D drive. I'm going to try installing it there, but I don't think this will fix the problem because installing it under my D is where I began.
    No luck. Stuck it in the same location as TS4/TS3. STILL no folder generated. Any ideas..? Could this be a Registry issue? I already tried changing the [tm] under Registry. Should I try changing it back and see what happens..?
    After you uninstalled, are you cleaning the registry?

I have the tm in my files and no problem. Make sure to clean your registry after each try. It might leave some behind. I use the free CCleaner for the Registry.
    I tried cleaning it manually, deleting all keys that had the name "EA Games" or "The Sims 2". Reinstalled. Rebooted. Still no folder. I will try using CCleaner.
    edited October 2019
    I'm about to delete the following TS2 files via CCleaner: mSSnVYp.png
    It appears to be a firewall issue.

Additionally, when I searched the address locations, I figured out that my EA Games folder was put into some Documents under my D drive.
    20PJEJd.png

[The Electronic Arts folder is empty, and so is the EA games. It appears my TS3/TS4 game data folders are one folder up, so I think Origin might be accidentally sticking it here. I will try moving it to my C Docs and see what happens.]
    edited October 2019
    Still no luck. I tried deleting those files, then moved my EA games folder to Docs. It didn't recognize that the game was installed when I tried to launch after that, so I did Origin Repair. Nothing.

I opened CCleaner again and found new registry issues:
    cNx6wpS.png

These seem to be directly related to the gamepacks.