Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you care if they add stuff from different lifestyles (LGBT, religious, cultural, etc.)

Comments

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    No - I don’t care (but maybe free content is nice)
    Fine. Put what you want in the game, if it makes people feel more included. I am not harmed by having a Star of David, a Crescent, a Cross, a Pentagram or what-have-you in my game. This is a game with vampires, mermaids, wizards and literal little green men from outer space. The most fatal illness in the game universe is caught from your child's adorable hamster. There's a giant reality-warping plant under the desert. You can buy a potion to reset your age. What's the problem with fiction layered on top of fiction?

There's no SimNation supreme court threatening to roll back rights in this game, and none of these symbols are even in the game unless I decide to put them there. So, if it makes some people happy to have these things in build/buy mode then great. If a hijab in CAS makes people happy, then great. And if you see it on an NPC and you don't like it then you can have it removed with half a dozen mouse clicks or so.

It's fine. No, really, it's fine. Just relax.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited September 2019
    It depends. Cultural content is fine, why not? Though religious content, on the other hand, is absolutely inappropriate for me. I don't want to have hijabs in my game. Ever. It is a big deal for me. But others want them and it might be the one thing that represents their lives. So I think this should be definitely optional. Any religion is a big huge fat NO for me. Of course I can avoid them and pretend these are not in my game and I will do this. Peace everyone.
    Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    I don't care if they add options for it, as long as it isn't forced and stays an option.
  • Options
    EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited September 2019
    Removed some comments from here - please, let's try to keep this thread respectful and on topic, and avoid arguments around topics that don't belong on the forums. Thanks!
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Yes! - We need everyone in the world to feel included
    I'm fine with it and am surprised by how strongly a lot of people feel about the topic. I probably won't use some of the content much but it's there if I want it, and that's cool.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I think it should be optional so players can choose exactly what they want and don't want in their game. I don't like that I'm currently forced to have certain items in my game that I do not want and would choose not to have if I could.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I couldn't care less as it doesn't affect me.

Payed content I don't want? - I don't buy it
    Free content I don't want? - I ignore it

What bothers me is if they patch in something I don't want but can't ignore because it directly impacts my game. Thankfully this has yet to happen.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Thing many forget, we already have religious mentions in the game, from Holiday Tree, the 2 festive lighting items, the ability to attend holiday ceremony (basically church) for a holiday, I think it's great to add more diversity, it helps bring people together more, and maybe they can learn from it
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I don’t mind cultural items by any means. Religion is just a sticky subject and should be avoided but I don’t think anything that has been added or is being added is fully considered religious. There are certain items they should never add but I think when it’s more cultural it’s totally fine. I love that more players can represent themselves in game. The attempt of inclusion and representation in sims 4 is a wonderful thing. I’m a little appalled by what I’ve seen the past day about the new update, but it is what it is.

Will I use certain items added? No but it’s super easy to just simply ignore it and not use it. Scroll past it. I have a hard time finding anything I need anyway so it’s usually pretty easy to ignore items you aren’t looking for in this game. It doesn’t offend me and it doesn’t affect me. I’m happy for those that wanted and are getting their culture represented. Cause to me that’s all that matters here with this subject in general.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited September 2019
    I dont mind them adding religious clothing or practices. I think its interesting, but im more concerned with other aspects of the game that wont be fixed (how easy it is + lack of personality/depth in sims)
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Queen_RoognaQueen_Roogna Posts: 69 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yes! - How dare they add something that makes me uncomfortable
    I'm not for it, because I know the more cultural stuff we put in the more people will go 'what about x'! and then it won't stop until development on s5 starts, and then we'll have people saying 'remember when Maxis included y but not x?' for the next decade. Also because townie generation is awful and will probably never be properly 'fixed' and someone's bound to get offended when a bunch of random townies spawn in with a niqab and a Sulani two-piece bathing suit.
    r8dKk.jpg
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I don't mind updates like these at all and more inclusivity is always a welcome thing for me.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    isaiahzayisaiahzay Posts: 295 Member
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    Removed some comments from here - please, let's try to keep this thread respectful and on topic, and avoid arguments around topics that don't belong on the forums. Thanks!

Yes please! I already regret making this poll as I now realize it’s probably making tensions worse. Sorry for that!
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I'm not for it, because I know the more cultural stuff we put in the more people will go 'what about x'! and then it won't stop until development on s5 starts, and then we'll have people saying 'remember when Maxis included y but not x?' for the next decade.

This already happens. "Why don't we have X object/interaction when Sims 1/2/3 had it, and that was X years ago?"

Doesnt have anything to do with cultural/religious items or clothes.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    dfstone wrote: »
    I don't care if they add options for it, as long as it isn't forced and stays an option.

completely agree I just want the option to turn as many things off that do not suit my gameplay (same for all other players) and nothing be forced on me but sadly forcing stuff on players is what S4 version of the game seems to be all about..
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I have no issue with any religious items or etc being added, if it's not my belief, then I won't use it. Simple. Hannukah is a religious holiday, BB has a menorah object and I don't see anyone complaining about that. As long as it isnt overly inappropriate or disrespectful to any groups of people, it's all fair game.
  • Options
    AmavariAmavari Posts: 167 Member
    edited September 2019
    Honestly I'd find ways of making most anything work in my game, any decorations and clothing options are good options.

I really don't mind, though in the sims I consider it more akin to the sims-counterpart of real culture/religion/politics so I can just make up whatever I want in regards to function

I loved Sulani culture, only thing that could have made it better would be getting to learn a simlish haka war dance

Anything like that is welcome, it isn't reallly about representation of real things for me honestly, though it's always good for everyone to feel included its world building for the worlds I build for my sims
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited September 2019
    I think all people should be represented. I do wish however that they would get rid of all the head wear townies wear, there has been a glitch again where my sims ( I have a large rotation) are wearing hats and things that are not in their planned outfits. I personally would love to see a simple cross that I could use in churches. We have menorahs and things. I like the political career, you can use that (once you get midway) as a charity organizer to make a preacher or just use the podium it’s self. I am glad they included a hijab. I have a friend that wears one. It does not bother me at all that they include things from different cultures or religions. If I want to use them, I can. If I don’t, I don’t have to. But like I said I myself would love to see a simple cross and maybe a manger, since those are a couple things as a Christian I would use. I don’t use custom content, so I depend on the packs I can buy or the things they give us. I think one of those little Jewish hats would be cute too. I like that the sims is becoming inclusive.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yes! - How dare they add something that makes me uncomfortable
    Seeing as their "life style/religious" updates only go one way I don't want to see it.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm playing with almost 50 families in my save, which would get boring rather quickly if they were all the same, so I'm always for more diverse content. Even if I'm only using a feature for one family, at least that one family will feel special because of it.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I don't mind them adding other things to the game, as long as they also have it set up to where the townies that the game auto-creates doesn't show up on those sims, and so far it hasn't, so I'm good. I know there has been a hotbed of discussions about certain things that will be coming pretty soon in a patch, and I'm fine with those things. Actually, I would love to see more international things brought into the game.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited September 2019
    Depends on how they implement it and how the game will treat religious and cultural items. On one hand, the game and the player can create sims wearing religious and cultural clothing that respects that religion and culture.

On the other hand, the game or the player can create sims wearing religious and cultural clothing that completely disrespects that religion and culture. And even upload them to the gallery.

Take nerdcon for example, there is a bug where sims wear random clothing during that festival, even cc that you have disallowed for random. Which often results in sims wearing no pants. Now include cultural and religious clothing into that mix.
    Post edited by logion on
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Removed some more comments in here again folks. As Mai said earlier in the thread let's keep this on topic and leave out debating subjects which don't really belong on the forum.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Representation is a good thing. We need more of it.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I voted yes but I wish we had a non mod way to turn off CAS items we don't use.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top