Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No "right" way to play :) So now Im playing how I want & my sims live their best life.

SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
I had been a little hard on myself because I don't enjoy playing the "rags to riches" or "struggle" life style that others seem to love so much in their game.

I had been trying to play with no motherlode and tiny/boring starter homes (most starter homes feel so impersonal and dont have much room) and sending my sims away to jobs and I wasn't having any fun at all.

So I decided to stop playing how I think the "acceptable" way to play is and instead focus on my Sims relationships and what I want their story to be.

I use the beautiful , large homes from the online gallery, because thats what I prefer. They live a very pampered life and I love that. I imagine the background stories and in some cases I will even give them the career that I feel adds to their story of who they are. And I allow myself freedom to do what I want to do. No, I don't have to do "work" in a video game. The sims is where I get to tell my own stories.

And it's very fun for me. I changed the way I played to suit ME.
Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

Post edited by SageOfGlimmerBrook on

Comments

• OEII1001 wrote: »
    This is supposed to be for fun. If you are having fun, then you're playing it the right way.

Now I realize that :)

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    There is no right or wrong way to play :). Love that you've accepted this!
    egTcBMc.png
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,444 Member
    I don't usually use money cheats, but I *do* use the money fruit for a time to give my sims income a boost 😃. Once I plant that seed I shift-click on it , choose the gardening option, then mature and evolve it. Just evolving from normal to nice gives me about 11,500 simoleans
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2019
    Starfree wrote: »
    I don't usually use money cheats, but I *do* use the money fruit for a time to give my sims income a boost 😃. Once I plant that seed I shift-click on it , choose the gardening option, then mature and evolve it. Just evolving from normal to nice gives me about 11,500 simoleans

Everyone's gotta find their own way to play. I don't like gardening or rabbit hole jobs. Thats the beauty of it all , everyone has their own way they like their game to be though. But you're enjoying that and thats what matters.Same with me.

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Good for you! I've been struggling to find an aging setting to suit me. I need a little push to feel that things are moving forward but normal has been too fast for me and long is just way too long. Now I'm adjusting the aging settings individually for each household I play in my rotation. I want what works for their their story and not feel guilty about giving some sims more time than others.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Glad you find a way to play the way that suits you. That's the only "right" way for every player :D
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2019
    This doesn't mean I won't sometimes play the game in the more "challenging" mode in another save. Just that my primary gameplay will not be that way and I will do whatever I want :) No rules allowed.

• musteni wrote: »
    Good for you! I've been struggling to find an aging setting to suit me. I need a little push to feel that things are moving forward but normal has been too fast for me and long is just way too long. Now I'm adjusting the aging settings individually for each household I play in my rotation. I want what works for their their story and not feel guilty about giving some sims more time than others.

@musteni There's a tutorial online somewhere if you search for it. But I create my own age settings, per age group using Sims4Studio. I can change it anytime I want to. Im going to put all age groups on 50 days each. Besides babies. I do not want to play the baby stage past 2 days :D

• XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    That is the great thing about sims, you can play how you want to. Some people may enjoy challenges and have personal rules to follow or follow rules for challenges, others just want to see what happens or use the game to tell a story.

Almost all my games are based of characters, so I had to create and edit sims like that.

For aging, I created my own simple mod that allows sims to live longer so I can let sims live their natural lives and have plenty of time to do all the things I want my sims to do. I tend to limit mods and only use cc that I really like or need for more accurate sims. I can't even make simself without tons of cc. Others want no mods at all.

The choices and possibility is why so many play the game.
  • MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    edited September 2019
    I find it really funny that that's almost the opposite of how I've played it. At first I always used money cheats, but after a while it started seeming repetitive, and financial limitations made it more interesting. Now I usually feel like it's just too easy for sims to make money, even without cheats, so I don't have any reason to even want to use money cheats.
    But it was never about there being a right way to play.. just what i found entertaining.

Challenges aren't really something to start with, they're something new to do with your game when it starts feeling stale. Certainly not something you're "supposed" to do.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I'd been trying for years to imagine stories to fill the gaps in gameplay. The Sims don't have very deep personalities and I have been too stressed for too long to imagine things that aren't actually part of the game. So this past week I just let myself play for goals. I'm filling all the aspirations and trying to get to the next generation on my first save, which has been languishing on its third generation for years.

This is what currently suits me, and it's working. I'm enjoying it. Just let me have a list of successes in the game, since real life is a little out of control.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I don't use money cheats, but it is way too easy to make money in-game. I get bored as I like the struggle. It actually does not matter what career they choose, My sims are able to be rich only after 15 in-game days. I also play as a minimalist, so the same impersonal homes are perfect and not cluttered. It is supposed to be a sandbox game, so start with money cheats if you need.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    The forums is a great place to get play ideas from but, at the end of the day, you need to do whatever suits you best.

The devs would have a much easier job if we all played the same way, but lucky for us there are plenty of options for variety and different ways to play.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    It gets a bit stressful if you get influenced by other Simmers urging you to do this or that @Simmify It's your game so do what you like and enjoy yourself in your own private world. Nobody is watching you.

I use motherlode a lot myself to build my Sims comfortable houses. I'm not much into making my Sims' lives miserable.
    :)
  • I'd been trying for years to imagine stories to fill the gaps in gameplay. The Sims don't have very deep personalities and I have been too stressed for too long to imagine things that aren't actually part of the game. So this past week I just let myself play for goals. I'm filling all the aspirations and trying to get to the next generation on my first save, which has been languishing on its third generation for years.

This is what currently suits me, and it's working. I'm enjoying it. Just let me have a list of successes in the game, since real life is a little out of control.

Im a imaginative person anyway, so it works. It has honestly been so much more fun for me to imagine their backstory. Technically The Sims has always made up backstories and histories for our sims since Sims 1. With the Goths and the Pleasant Family. Its all in who you believe they are.

• RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    See, this is why I often have several challenges going on at any time- as well as some purely story worlds. 😂

Because I CONSTANTLY like to change up my play style. I have some with challenges I added even more strict rules than usually comes with it. I also have worlds where families are motherloaded to all get out and the houses are lavish mansions, where I cheat promote to get them at the level and skills I want them to have for the story I have in mind.

Playing whichever way is fun! Motherlode like there is not tomorrow 😉 it’s your game, enjoy it!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    OP, so glad you had the courage to stretch your wings and play the game the way you want to. I do, too. I don't much care for my Sims to have to struggle. I've done enough of that my entire life. My Cantrell family is beyond rich, but the Dad still works, hard. His second child and son is my Global Superstar. He also gained riches at an early time in his life. What do you expect from a teen who attains the title of Global Superstar? Yeah, I had him quit school, too. He was able to earn so much more having the entire day to pursue what he loves. His music and the ability to share it. :)

For me, I rarely, if ever play the premades. I'm a writer with a sometimes out-of-control imagination, so creating a backstory for my Sims is not a problem. There is something highly gratifying in watching them play out their lives in a manner too difficult to show when they are minor characters in a book you've written.

As for the Sims, there is no right or wrong way to play, it's a sandbox game. Have fun!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

• OP, so glad you had the courage to stretch your wings and play the game the way you want to. I do, too. I don't much care for my Sims to have to struggle. I've done enough of that my entire life. My Cantrell family is beyond rich, but the Dad still works, hard. His second child and son is my Global Superstar. He also gained riches at an early time in his life. What do you expect from a teen who attains the title of Global Superstar? Yeah, I had him quit school, too. He was able to earn so much more having the entire day to pursue what he loves. His music and the ability to share it. :)

For me, I rarely, if ever play the premades. I'm a writer with a sometimes out-of-control imagination, so creating a backstory for my Sims is not a problem. There is something highly gratifying in watching them play out their lives in a manner too difficult to show when they are minor characters in a book you've written.

As for the Sims, there is no right or wrong way to play, it's a sandbox game. Have fun!

Thanks :) Im still interested in having my sims become superstars and do all the other things sims do :) I thinking of using a mod to Max out their skills too. Your game sounds so fun! @GalacticGal

• See, this is why I often have several challenges going on at any time- as well as some purely story worlds. 😂

Because I CONSTANTLY like to change up my play style. I have some with challenges I added even more strict rules than usually comes with it. I also have worlds where families are motherloaded to all get out and the houses are lavish mansions, where I cheat promote to get them at the level and skills I want them to have for the story I have in mind.

Playing whichever way is fun! Motherlode like there is not tomorrow 😉 it’s your game, enjoy it!

I like the idea of using different saves for multiple forms of playing out our sims lives. For example, in one I would play my own way and do whatever I want. And in another I would not use motherlode , just in case I ever wanted a break from the other one . There's so much to do . Thanks! I am having fun with it @RobinGreenthumb

• BaglamukhiBaglamukhi Posts: 38 Member
    i like playing rags to riches but my sims always end up rich somehow... *cough* blackwidow *cough*
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I use cheats cuz I like a realistic game. I want some sims in my world to start rich and some poor and some in the middle. I like to play on rotation with each Sim being in a different place in their life which is kind of how it would be in real life. And yes, it's your own game and you're supposed to play it however you like. No right or wrong way at all.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    Simmify wrote: »
    So I decided to stop playing how I think the "acceptable" way to play is and instead focus on my Sims relationships and what I want their story to be.

I never looked at it as only one acceptable way to play. It is a strange way to look at the sims.

I mostly build up my sims life and rarely cheat money, skills or careers but that is a choice. If someone else rather likes to tell a story and cheat to set it up the way they want, that is just as acceptable. That's the beauty of this game, you can choose your own playstyle.

I am glad you found a way to play that suits you.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I figured this out as well recently. I always used to avoid cheats and whenever I wanted to make a rich family I would grind their careers for hours, on 3x speed, bored out of my mind until they became millionaires so I can finally play their story. Now I just cheat the money and get right to the fun part, such a relief.
  • GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    There are so many ways to play for all types of players. Some of us play in more than one way. That's what makes this game great.