Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hercule Poirot in Roaring Heights

PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
Instead of having a list of my story threads in my signature, I decided to make one here in the first post.

I enjoy writing the same kind of sim stories I enjoy reading - either completely or at least partly based on gameplay.

The Sims 3:

The Bluejay Legacy
Completely gameplay-based. A Legacy Challenge in Sunset Valley played by the rules. George Bluejay moved into Sunset Valley, got a job as a fireman, married coworker Agnes Crumplebottom and started a family. The story had to end when the save became corrupt during generation four.
(ETA: image links don't work anymore)

Love and Fame in Hidden Springs
Half gameplay-based, half-scripted. Molly Bluejay, the fourth generation heiress from the Bluejay Legacy, moved into a cozy cabin in Hidden Springs with a roommate who wanted to become a five-star celebrity. This is a short and completed story.

Nectar making is SUCH FUN!
Half gameplay-based, half-scripted. Sim versions of characters from the British sitcom Miranda buy an old farmhouse and try to build a successful nectary starting from zero. This story is complete.

A faily Magician's quest for success
Completely gameplay-based. Jonathan River is a hopeful magician working on his career, who eventually gets a little help from a genie. This story is on hiatus.
2e1zm0j.jpg

The Sunlit Tides Surfing Academy
Half gameplay-based, half-scripted. Teen William Bluejay (son of Molly Bluejay from Love and Fame in Hidden Springs) and three of his friends move from Isla Paradiso to Sunlit Tides to attend the Surfing Academy, a boarding school with a focus on surfing. This story is complete.
jyPmCsm.jpg

Hercule Poirot in Roaring Heights (in this thread)
Completely gameplay-based. Hercule Poirot, Arthur Hastings and Felicity Lemon live and fight crime in Roaring Heights.
QJkoELl.jpg

The Sims 4:

Morgan, shipwrecked in paradise
Completely gameplay-based, a response to the Off-the-grid challenge Island Living. Morgan, a shipwrecked sailor, starts a new life from zero on an off-the-grid lot in Sulani. The challenge is completed, although the thread will occasionally be updated.
GNAZRSs.jpg

The Life of Sulani
Playing all the Sulani households. Completely gameplay-based.
sYbvzA9.png

Post edited by PalmArrow on

Comments

• PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    edited August 2019
    I recently bought Roaring Heights as a birthday gift to myself. :) I've had this Poirot household in my library for a long time, and they seemed like the ideal sims to try out a twenties world with. So Arthur Hastings, Hercule Poirot and Felicity Lemon have moved into an Art Deco home and are starting to get to know their new town.

5H4NMH5.jpg

t8GQNJu.jpg

n69R3K0.jpg

kxzFc7B.jpg

teNcmzY.jpg
    edited August 2019
    I'm letting the Poirot household them just explore the town for a few days, before getting jobs.

No, Poirot, you can't have hearts for the university mascot! You deserve better!
    lO0a6cy.jpg

The three visited the Boardwalk venue.
    xNgVYNl.jpg

Hastings and Miss Lemon enjoyed the roller coaster. Poirot wasn't sorry there was only room for two.
    pkmjNS4.jpg

Q7QaYXD.jpg

tzOCxk7.jpg

xKboMJE.jpg

f7FDwJd.jpg

pxiJe5y.jpg

After the roller coaster the three introduced themselves to a townie, and then went to the beach.

QJkoELl.jpg

uaR478C.jpg

"Poirot is not interested in swimming!"

"But you're already up to your knees in the ocean, Poirot! Might as well change into your swimwear."

LMsBUYV.jpg

"Trés bien."

d4ui5E8.jpg

LRWiYgN.jpg
    edited August 2019
    After their afternoon on the beach, I sent Poirot and his friends to dine at one of the cafes that I had turned into a restaurant.

But I had forgot to check the opening hours, so just as the three were sitting down, the chef changed into his everyday clothes and left.

8fwHrfx.jpg

I had them all take a quick meal from the fridge instead.

XPcha0w.jpg

9IQTL12.jpg

It was starting to rain when they returned home to sleep.

1yesUWo.jpg

Roaring Heights is beautiful when it's pastel-coloured in the sunlight, but I love how it looks on a rainy night too!

ihbqmTc.jpg

i6sGmOe.jpg
    The grey night over Roaring Heights gave way to a pink sunrise.

dgJtWf4.jpg

xmrsdaq.jpg

Poirot, who has the highest cooking skill, prepared breakfast.

YSicPku.jpg

Hastings is going to join the military career today. He bragged to Miss Lemon about his strength.

m4wpOIm.jpg

Miss Lemon grabbed a pillow to test how good he is at fighting.

R22c1di.jpg

He was too good!

8JdjLUF.jpg

I made an office for Miss Lemon to fit her role as Poirot's secretary, but she is actually going to work as a self-employed writer.

6tDR1yx.jpg

This is Poirot's office - he is going to be a private investigator (of course). I wish private investigators in the game actually received clients in an office!

sD5fWEb.jpg

I spotted a deer running through the center of town:

s6pO5Ky.jpg
    The next day, all three friends left home to apply for jobs: Poirot for the private investigator profession, Hastings for the military career, and Miss Lemon for the self-employed writer career.

qM2zQuM.jpg

l3vB1xU.jpg

When this was done, they met at the Summer Festival.

5S9me9z.jpg

Poirot noticed a criminal who had forgotten to change out of his work clothes, and had a short conversation with him. It would be useful for future cases to get to know Roaring Heights criminals!

RiNbVbh.jpg

Hastings and Miss Lemon went roller skating.

pmQuQZn.jpg

Poirot didn't want to try roller skating, but he wasn't above giggling at his friends' clumsiness!

r8F8aPu.jpg

36JddNH.jpg
    edited August 2019
    After having fun at the festival, the three friends tried to dine at the open bistro for the second time.

UKyLtgV.jpg

Just like the first time they tried this, they arrived just as the chef changed out of his chef outfit and was leaving the building!
    This time it was not because they missed the opening hours - it was because I had just added a consignment and elixir shop to the town, and the game decided to change the chef's job to consignment merchant.

ZRYGj3L.jpg

The game informed me a new chef was employed, though, and I could see her waiting outside.

DCLAYEw.jpg

Poirot, Miss Lemon and Hastings took their seats and looked through the menu.

FuvjOMJ.jpg

ymIFQdj.jpg

The new chef took their orders and served them. Success! Everyone had a pleasant time.

UaY6m45.jpg

Ap9UCwf.jpg

When they returned home, Hastings invited his friends into the garage, beaming with pride. He had something exciting to show them.

"Isn't she a beauty? I paid next to nothing for her. A real steal!"

"A beauty? Mon ami, I see nothing but an old pile of rubbish."

DAaYUw4.jpg

"All right, I do admit she needs a little bit of work, but the engine is in good condition. Look here, I'll show you..."

gVPT9tR.jpg

When Hastings revved the engine, a plume of black smoke appeared from it. Poirot and Miss Lemon quickly excused themselves and left the garage. Their friend was good with vehicles, but this car seemed far beyond anyone's help!

XyGWTJS.jpg
    Hastings has started working on renovating the car he bought. It's going to take some time...

AmbSoFr.jpg

BNyqu2c.jpg

... but Hastings doesn't mind. He firmly believes it's valuable. There is a poster near their home advertising cars like those, and they are very expensive!

e915CjS.jpg

Poirot goes to the little park across the street to practice stakeouts.

mrGYrjW.jpg

GWBo5Ze.jpg

Meanwhile, Miss Lemon works on her writing skill.

nafwuAJ.jpg

I spotted May West in a sailboat. She is so cute, and resembles the real Mae West!

kaHvM57.jpg
    The Poirot household has settled into a routine of work and leisure. Hastings always has to be the first to wake up, because he starts work at 7 AM.

qTdUgj3.jpg

YGXyz9e.jpg

OhI2bGg.jpg

Miss Lemon has started a novel called "Hercule Poirot and the Golden Llama", named after a rabbithole case that was Poirot's first job opportunity.

m5CRMdK.jpg

Poirot's second case is a call he got from famous sportsman Gabe Ruth.

bbRvAEI.jpg

Gabe is afraid a rival has hacked into his computer, and wants Poirot to hack the rival's computer to see if this is the case. The problem is that it's the 1920's and computers haven't been invented yet!

SqZVbNz.jpg

But Poirot can use Miss Lemon's typewriter for hacking. :)

HmjeUai.jpg

He solves the case! The rival has indeed hacked Gabe Ruth.

kFsHQPI.jpg

He tells his client what he had learned, and earns a handsome fee.

8gnRiqt.jpg
    Poirot and Hastings get home around the same time. Hastings is close to a promotion, but he has been working hard and is very stressed.

9hOQQzT.jpg

But I have a de-stressing activity planned for everyone! They cross the road and run down to the shore, where a water taxi is waiting for them.

SzUqP9b.jpg

The taxi boat takes them to Roaring Heights' Chinatown, to the Martial Arts Academy.

BIgJZE7.jpg

The "Chinatown" is just three lots I have added to an empty island: the Academy, a residential house next to it...

JZG9ZIq.jpg

... and a consignment and elixir store.

1SIXy0j.jpg

The three enter the Academy and take in their surroundings.

EZ2mJci.jpg

Hastings changes into his Sim Fu outfit and starts training with a dummy. (The other sim training is Bonnie, one half of the Bonnie and Clyde criminal duo. It will be interesting if they cross paths with Poirot!)

9uIAleV.jpg

Poirot and Miss Lemon opt for exercising the mind by playing dominoes on the terrace.

hvKfsVO.jpg

When Hastings is too tired to continue, the three have a quick drink in the upstairs bar, and then return home in a good mood.

gY8BZEw.jpg
    A rainy Leisure Day dawns on Roaring Heights.

nf46diI.jpg

Miss Lemon autonomously decides that, rain or no rain, Leisure Day is for lounging on a lounge chair on the balcony and that is what she will do!

9DUoYIu.jpg

e70Larz.jpg

Hastings rolls the wish to watch the Cooking Channel, so I let him fulfill it. However, since TVs haven't been invented yet...

y57ClSg.jpg

... he is watching the Cooking Channel on a potted African Violet! (It's an attention catcher from Aroundthesims, one of a series of objects that function like a TV but don't look like one.)

7dEry5V.jpg

Miss Lemon has wished to find a gem. I noticed there were some gems at a nearby fishing pond, so I sent her there.

CgQe7Aj.jpg

Poor Miss Lemon - she has only used this umbrella a few times, and it's already in a terrible condition!

FVM9lOn.jpg

At least she is happy to have her wish fulfilled.

hx9ero7.jpg
    The Beachfront Café is the hotspot for the day, so Poirot and his friends decide to spend their Leisure Day there. If the rain stops, the beach is just a few steps away!

eAuhLcc.jpg

VTwk41e.jpg

Hastings is delighted to meet his coworker Hector Thebe there. Anyone working in the military is by definition a splendid fellow!

POZyedo.jpg

Poirot and Miss Lemon get acquainted with Consort and Contessa Capp.

mPcYlfq.jpg

"I can't wait to learn to fly an airplane!" Hastings is saying, to Hector's approval.

SVyKi71.jpg

Meanwhile, Poirot is telling Consort about the murders he solved.

I8ZonXv.jpg

The rain slows down a little, but doesn't stop.

D6ePeTa.jpg

Down by the pier, a singer is performing for tips.

fM8DCNq.jpg

Bathing in the ocean seems out of question, so the three settle for a scenic stroll up and down the pier.

NokFpGR.jpg

whAETb8.jpg

dMH5JoZ.jpg

Poirot's alert eye notices a suspicious-looking lady walking down the pier. The criminals of Roaring Heights don't seem to be making much effort to blend in! It's possible their paths will cross in the future.

IIk5jZM.jpg
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    This story is delightful ! Poirot, Hastings and Miss Lemon are a perfect fit for Roaring Heights, and they all look so good.
    Reading about their daily life in that setting is terribly charming and I can't get enough !
    Thank you very much, @happyopi ! :) Roaring Heights is really a beautiful setting, and I have only explored a small part of it so far!
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Your story is great. Roaring Heights is a wonderful place to put all sorts of fictional and real people of the era in.
    Thank you very much, @Earcat !
    Poirot is very happy to get a new case.

mvdpKv3.jpg

His client is none other than the famous actress May West!

ZfmlMI0.jpg

Just like Gabe Ruth in his previous case, May needs him to hack into a rival's computer.

QXO4P0F.jpg

Once again, Poirot borrows Miss Lemon's typewriter to do the job.

YD8M64k.jpg

Miss Lemon doesn't mind. She has been working all morning - now she can relax by the pool.

KjY84hR.jpg

Hastings leaves work tired and stressed, but happy because he's had his first promotion. He is also feeling attracted to someone.

hBf6ik1.jpg

It must be his coworker Donna Morgan. She is married and has three children and Hastings is the very embodiment of honour, so nothing is going to happen!

tOGlir5.jpg

Poirot reports his successful hacking to Miss West.

GqTZ9Oh.jpg

Miss Lemon helps Hastings work on his wreck of a car. It turns out to be unexpectedly fun!

GyIu7jJ.jpg
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,745 Member
    edited December 2023
    Another amazing story! I love your storytelling.
    Miss Lemon is amazing. It's super cute that she wears different clothes everyday.