Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you care if they add stuff from different lifestyles (LGBT, religious, cultural, etc.)

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Yes! - We need everyone in the world to feel included
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I don't mind the hijab so much, but I really would prefer that they don't add any religious symbols and connotations to the game. If they did I'd rather it be something sims-like, like how Medieval had it's own religions and churches.

Political stuff should also be left out of the game...don't want any Trump or Hillary posters in build/buy.

I also had to think about sims medieval. That was an elegant solution for that particular spin off (historic yet leanings towards fantasy) . Not sure if it will be accepted in a modern day setting with so many realism fans, but I would be fine with it.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    No - I don’t care (but maybe free content is nice)
    Ultimately I don't care because
    a) it's free
    b) i won't be using it
    c) it will have no effect on my playstyle

Inclusivity can be a good thing, but the pick and choose, flavour of the month system we seem to have currently, is only going to cause more issues. Either you add everything or you add nothing.

On the other hand, I am getting slightly tired of this whole PC, woke 2019 attitude that has reduced TS$ to all sunshine and rainbows...

Additional somewhat related point: they should give us the ability to 'blacklist' items from showing up in a game, would help stop random townies popping up in crazy outfits and would allow people to hide clothing/build/buy items that they never use
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    ryttu3k wrote: »
    Yes. Inclusivity and representation is important.

I only started playing TS4 a few months ago. Was there this big a stink when the holiday pack came out and included a ton of Christmas stuff, a Chanukiah and banners including dreidals, and Diwali stuff? I can't speak for people who celebrate Diwali, but I am Jewish and I can tell you that a Chanukiah is 100% a religious symbol as well as a cultural one (it represents the miracle of the consecrated oil lasting for eight days instead of one).

Let's be honest here - it's the particular religion that is upsetting people. Also, there are a lot of people who participate in religious activities because it's part of their culture, rather than because they are religious. (I give gifts at Christmas. I wasn't brought up Christian and I'm agnostic. My brother and sister-in-law do Christmas and Passover - her father is Jewish - and they're atheist.) My co-worker from India wears a bindi for formal dress, and she's not a bit religious. And as for the feminist aspect, wearing hijab in the western world is an act of courage.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I don't mind them adding things like that. But they should at least make it optional, like the holiday download content. I just don't want any religion or LGBT stuff into my game.

I don't think there's a reason to include every single diversity that exist into a game. It's just a game in the end.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I would like to create my own Governments, Politics, and religions
    Because I base it off how I think Politics and Religious Groups should work.

For culture, I think absolutely! Diversity is what keeps me, at the least, interested. I'm interested In European, and all the different African Cultures.

In my Game I do have my faith established as a Club in Game. I personally looked at what was wrong with how my Religious Organization as a whole and throughout history, and I made my game version of this religion to be far less corrupt and they don't spew hatred at something or judge someone for going against God in minor or major ways. Personally, I believe that's between the individual and God. Who are we to Judge and ridicule others for what sins they've committed, all we have to do is love and respect and have faith... you're going to be okay as long as you have those three things which are easier said than done.
    Ultimately, I did it because it personally didn't feel right to not have my sims weddings at parks or other venues, Granted my Cathedral is Still considered a Museum, it looks and feels right... I'm not sure if it's blasphemy but I might use Realm of Magic in some way to Give the church a little more Divine power to back it up... I really wish Realm of Magic alchemical Potions & Curses were in like Golden/Glass/Crystal Goblets or Chalices instead of Beakers... maybe some modder will see this and make a replacement texture =3

As for Government and Politics, I Have different types, a Monarchy and then an Aristocracy that reforms into a Republic.
    The Monarchy exists in my Medieval Fantasy and I use clubs to handle the different social orders, of Monarchy, Nobility & Clergy who are essentially Mages and the Knights. and then I have the Middle class, the Artisans and the Crafters, the farmers and all the peasents.
    People need to get over their feelings sometimes. Basically it was a Chain of Clubs who the Leader of that club was a part of a Club of a higher order.

Like the King has his "Royal Court" all 7 members of Court, including the King, are a leaders of Clubs that serve the Crown.
    and then the Chains of Clubs branch from those seven all the way down to the Peasants.

The Aristocratic/Republic government kind of works the same. When I was creating my fictional City, the town was controlled by the aristocrats
    5 of some of the wealthiest families I created in Europe became the founding fathers of my City in America.
    but basically they themselves evolved the government into a Republic.
    they built a City hall and a Large council and each seat is filled by a Person of Every Department
    The Governor, The Treasurer, The Secretary, The Chief of Police, Chief Surgeon, Director of Science, Superintendent of Schools, and the Bishop.
    all working together to build and ensure the stability of the town.

And Then LGBT... What would that be tho? We already can have different, and change genders in the sims. what else do we need?
    I don't want more pride stuff. Honestly, I'm over pride festivals, not as exciting anymore.

I don't think it'll happen cause it's a lot of extensive research they'll have to do, and it might not be worth the resources. the reality is if they overlook one small detail, someone surely will get "offended" *Insert heavy eye roll* and they get the backlash.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I would have said that I didn't care (even though the trans/unisex update is what actually got me to finally play TS4 and I have no shame in that) but having read some asinine takes over the last 24 hours...I care a lot. Some people keep asking for realism and family play rooted in our real human structures, but once a "hot button social issue" makes its way to The Sims (like LGBT people and Muslims are nothing more than SJW talking points I guess) then The Sims is acktually a complete escapist fantasy game made in a vacuum away from any real human lives.

I'm not going to gush about a company following the cultural zeitgeist for sales/publicity because that is a lot of what's happening here but here's a thing I've noticed as a longtime simmer: there are a lot of kinds of CC that are popular but three that I've seen all the time? Clothing converted between genders, Pride tees, and hijabs. It isn't like no simmer wanted this.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    The thing about 'different' lifestyles is that for a lot of people they aren't different at all.
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    Inclusion if we are going to stay on this track should include everyone. However, at this point I feel all of this was to make a buck including gender patch. Dress up isn't a culture or a religion. It's still 'pretend' and to me about as big an insult as telling LBGTQ to pretend they can are transgener, or have a relationship with same sex etc. It's the same difference. I want to ask where is the Christian symbol (is there one this time?) but after five years of getting warned I won't. I'm no longer supporting a company that keeps on trying to tell me how much they care and how much they are inclusive and 'woke' when all I see is this $$$$.

As someone in this thread said, if you are going to include one you have to do all, that includes every type of person on earth, or you just look like you are faking it to get $$$. And after five years of warnings I think it is all fake, and pretend doesn't cut it in my world of representation. There is a reason a Muslim wears a scarf and dress up isn't it, though some are very fashionable. But god forbid there should be any christian symbol at all. And Christmas Tree isn't one of them. You asked, I answered, but I'm sure my answer will have some grabbing clutching their pearls.

ETA: Diversity is different beliefs and habits and actions, and practice, it's not dress up.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I do not object them making cultural, religious or life style content as long as it is a players choice to download (free or paid) and not forced. One of the things I don't like about the updates is that you only have two choices take it or leave it. You can ignore paid content you don't like and can continue to add more paid content later, but you cannot add any more content of any kind if you do not choose to update your game and accept all free content that comes with the update.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @Repo Oh, I totally agree with you. I have been saying the same thing about these updates where we have no choice in what we place in our own games. Giving us a choice would help alleviate a lot of the unhappiness we are seeing today after that Maxis Monthly stream. We are a varied group with different play styles, belief systems and personalities so it should come as no surprise to the teams and EA we are not always pleased with their choices. These updates should be split into categories and we should be able to choose from those. I would be thrilled to have the choice when it comes to adding CAS assets to my game file. Bug fixes are always welcome. Updates to existing features are also good. But as with CAS assets, I don't always like B/B assets that don't fit with my personal style yet I am stuck with them once I update. If it is not possible to create different categories for the updates then we should be given a cheat so we can delete what we don't want. MCCC is good for keeping the townies from wearing awful fashion choices but we don't have a way to rid our game of the assets we will never use.
  • andriandri Posts: 16 Member
    I don’t care for what the dev gives us. If the devs gives us a different culture as cas item or build buy item. I will use it as long as it gives the sim a new look for free
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    A million times this. ⬇️
    First is it's a video game and second is we are getting new stairs.

• catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I think they should stay out of this area.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Anyone ever wonder if the devs are reading the drama threads and taking bets and making predictions? Lol.

I would. :D
    #Team Occult
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yes! - How dare they add something that makes me uncomfortable
    A slippery slope this is. If they add one they should add all. I do not care about a lot of things, as long SJWs don't try to shove their ideas down my throat. Cultures are great, but they are now diving into religion. A slippery slope... when they don't include others.
  • GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    I really don't care. I do like having some diversity in my game.
  • Zoey95Zoey95 Posts: 1,549 Member
    This is a game played around the world. Everyone playing the game should (eventually, this takes time) have their daily clothing represented in the base game without needing CC. And no, diversity isn't optional. It's the world around you; step into the twenty-first century. Marginalized persons should not be insulted by their representation being "optional". Seriously, that is rude.

While there are a number items/actions in the game that could be affiliated with a spiritual belief in the past or present, I do not see the upcoming CAS additions to our base game as religious at all. I see it as cultural. Maybe because I'm fortunate to live in a very diverse part of the U.S. and I have a diverse group of friends, some wearing a hijab.

Now as Priestess of the Configuring Stairs, I applaud the creators for finally representing me. Let us rejoice in song. One day I hope we can we become diverse enough to enjoy the spiral stairs, curved stairs, and configurable ladders.
  • NeenzNeenz Posts: 44 Member
    I’m glad that there is inclusivity. If I don’t want to use it then I won’t, but there are others who will want to, so it’s a bonus for them isn’t it? I’m not going to throw my toys out of the pram just because there’s something I don’t like.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited September 2019
    The game gets wedding, divorce, monogamy, ... we can't pretend there is no religion or politics.

The most of them are from Christian culture.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    If the devs called it a head wrap, like something general there wouldn’t be this upheaval. Personally it’s what I will see it as. Many have been asking for this item for years. So now those simmers will enjoy it. If a townie is wearing it, delete or change their clothes like I had to do for many townies of my own. Like that one male sim wearing red high heals with a feminine walk. Nope, delete.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    hmm...
    I'd like for all people to feel included, but looking at the game I wouldn't even feel included myself if I were a stickler, no way to get my bodyshape or hight, none of the tops in a style I would actually wear, my natural haircolor? not there either...and those are just the superficial things...but thankfully I am not a stickler plus I have no desire to play myself in games (but I do know some other simmer do).

I just completly ignore any religious meanings some items have in the real world, in my sims world there are no religions so everything is just a stylechoice, if I like how it looks I'll use it, I call it creative freedom that is why I love the sims so much.
    So, yeah, in general I am just happy about new free content.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    Yes! - How dare they add something that makes me uncomfortable
    I don't group lgbt in with religious, cultural, or political. And i have no problem with lgbt inclusion. However i don't agree that either religion or politics should be included in the game.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I enjoy when they add “inspired” cultural items and clothes.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • AmaraStormAmaraStorm Posts: 80 Member
    It's free. I don't have to use it and have a mod to untag it for townies if I want. Actually though, I like diversity and probably won't.

Basically, I like free stuff. I will never complain about free stuff. Bring it on. The more the merrier.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Hopefully these are disabled for random if only because I’m already tired of seeing all the other cultural headwear in nearly every random sim’s cold weather outfit.

In general, as long as stuff is disabled for random I don’t really care what they add.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top