Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's discuss the new stairs

Comments

• LunarBLunarB Posts: 6 New Member
    This update is HUGE for me. I'm a builder and often find myself extremely frustrated with not being able to use a house design because I can't manipulate the staircase. Doing it with landings is just convoluted and time-consuming.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    Super excited to have new stair options. And I think the fact that an update has been made to stairs is a good indicator that it’s possible for spiral stairs to come in the future.

I don't think so. These new stairs don't require new animations, but spiral stairs (climbing in circles) probably would. And with pets and toddlers, this is obviously a nightmare for the devs.

Not to start a row, but it was done in TS2. Although I don't have pets in my games there, I do have lots of toddlers, and none of them attempt to do the spiral stairs. That's what parents and older siblings are for. Come to think of it, not sure I've seen them attempt any stairs. Regardless, new stair options are a good thing!

Begging to differ, the toddlers in Sims2 couldn't climb stairs at all, nor could they climb onto anything, really. At best, once in a great while if you had one with high (walking) skills, they could escape from their crib. In Sims2, they would crawl or walk to the top of the stairs and just sit there, wailing, until somebody came to get them. This is a brand new thing in Sims4, for which I applaud the devs. That list of things the players gave on the note that became a sticky note, was well looked at and considered as they finished putting the toddlers together. I am very pleased that they listened and implemented much of what was asked for that they could.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I foresee the gallery crashing on 6th.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    Anyone else picturing that staircase room from Labyrinth?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8qs16mAU0s
    Also imagining Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers dancing up and down all those magnificent stairs.

That was my first thought when I saw it. Ooh look the Labryinth...
    WbUrFQm.png
  • ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    I am so excited for these stairs. It’s so weird how excited I am for virtual stairs lol. Hopefully this might mean they’ll make some spiral staircases too since they have started working on coding for stairs. But honestly even if they never give us spiral staircases, I’m pretty excited.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I was overwhelmed with excitement...I may or may not have almost cried. 😐

I have a build of Highclere Castle aka Downton Abbey from the gallery that I just love. It’s really very accurate except the staircase and the shape of the arches. This update solves both of those problems in one fell swoop. I am positively giddy!
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey - merged a couple discussions about the new stairs features into a single one. Just a heads up!
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Honestly, I don't care. I'm not a builder so I was more interested in the CAS/Buy objects... which they barely touched upon, so the stream was a fail to me.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Really happy! I've wanted L shaped stairs far more than spiral anyways, as it's what is common where I live
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    i like it.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • AmaraStormAmaraStorm Posts: 80 Member
    I'm more excited about the stairs than I am the pack! Still really want a spiral staircase though.
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    I’ve got so many renovations to do now and I couldn’t be more excited! The only part I don’t like is the extra wait because I’m on console 😭
  • MindofyMindofy Posts: 313 Member
    My Windenburg castle is the first to be remodeled. 😂
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited September 2019
  • GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    I love it. I no longer feel the need for spiral stairs, but I would still consider them a nice addition.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I love that they've added more functionality (and not just in the form of fixed L- and U-shaped landings) to the stairs, but I'm curious about how the game will deal with auto-generated walls. All the staircases they're showing off seem to be open underneath. Hope that's not a restriction.
  • beautimousbeautimous Posts: 108 Member
    I wonder if you can change the floor tile on the new stair landings. I didn't really see an example of that in the stream. If you can't, it kind of limits the tool imo.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    edited September 2019
    Karon wrote: »
    I love the overhauled stairs (not new stairs, its just old stairs being improved), but...
    Super excited to have new stair options. And I think the fact that an update has been made to stairs is a good indicator that it’s possible for spiral stairs to come in the future.

I don't think so. These new stairs don't require new animations, but spiral stairs (climbing in circles) probably would. And with pets and toddlers, this is obviously a nightmare for the devs.

But I still want curved stairs, spiral stairs, etc...

I'm just hoping that somehow stairs will work on a diagonal wall. That's another problem with my late grand-uncle's mansion that is no more. He deceased in 1973, and his wife lived until 1986, I think it was. Unfortunately, they had no children, so her nephew got his hands on the property and allowed the City of Angels (yeah, right) AKA Los Angeles to tear it down in favor of apartment buildings. Face/palm. Thing is the three story was already divided into three apartments, four, if you count the ground floor where my relatives lived. Two apts. on the second floor and the third story was a Studio apartment. Sheesh. Here's to hoping the city still maintains the original floor plan of this place.

ETA: I just had a wild and crazy thought. Do you imagine that with the way the stairs swivel, that it could be possible to twist them into a spiral type? Oh, man I need to stop thinking about it I won't be able to experiment until Friday!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I love the new stairs. I hope it also works for towers, underground homes, basements & 4 flights.
  • BooDaBoo5BooDaBoo5 Posts: 253 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I love that they've added more functionality (and not just in the form of fixed L- and U-shaped landings) to the stairs, but I'm curious about how the game will deal with auto-generated walls. All the staircases they're showing off seem to be open underneath. Hope that's not a restriction.

I was concerned about the same thing.
  • 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    Wish I could get as half as excited as some of you are but I'm not much of a builder so the stairs are just meh to me especially since we don't have ladders or spiral stairs, but I am interested to know what the fans who are builders will come up with. Glad you guys have something to get excited about. Happy building!
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    It gives me renewed hope for spiral stairs and ladders.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I'm not that fussed about spiral stairs, but would love ladders. I can't wait til tomorrow, I will be coming home from work in the hope that the patch is out when I've ate my dinner :)
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I still need spiral staircases, it's basic.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    I love the overhauled stairs (not new stairs, its just old stairs being improved), but...

But I still want curved stairs, spiral stairs, etc...

I'm just hoping that somehow stairs will work on a diagonal wall. That's another problem with my late grand-uncle's mansion that is no more. He deceased in 1973, and his wife lived until 1986, I think it was. Unfortunately, they had no children, so her nephew got his hands on the property and allowed the City of Angels (yeah, right) AKA Los Angeles to tear it down in favor of apartment buildings. Face/palm. Thing is the three story was already divided into three apartments, four, if you count the ground floor where my relatives lived. Two apts. on the second floor and the third story was a Studio apartment. Sheesh. Here's to hoping the city still maintains the original floor plan of this place.

ETA: I just had a wild and crazy thought. Do you imagine that with the way the stairs swivel, that it could be possible to twist them into a spiral type? Oh, man I need to stop thinking about it I won't be able to experiment until Friday!

Oh my goodness! Your family story should be a mystery novel. Love it!