Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will we ever have drivable cars in TS4?

I would love to have this feature and I am surprised it hasn't happened yet. Do you think we will ever have drivable cars in The Sims 4? It needs to be in a patch. Are there any mods that truly make any cars drivable?

Comments

• LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    Cars (gas powered ones) cause damage to the environment so this woke dev team wont include them. Course they can’t think past their own nose to know bikes could be a simple inclusion and even scooters.
  • simskeletonsimskeleton Posts: 605 Member
    edited September 2019
    How come it was okay in Sims 2 and Sims 3 and now all of a sudden it's not considered. There is no real gas in the sims 4 since it's just a game. They have the cars that drive by as a visual, I don't see why they can't include drivable cars for playable sims.
  • tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    I feel like all the "car" related wall art in Strangerville could have been a big hint towards cars.
  • Silver_Ghost925Silver_Ghost925 Posts: 40 Member
    I think the reason why drivable cars aren't practical is the lack of open world. You have to go through a loading screen just to visit your neighbor. Cars are pretty much useless because of that. I also think it is a shame they aren't a feature, but I don't see how they can be added to the game as it is.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    For this installment of S4 I jsut don't see them being implemented correctly considering there's a majority of lots that don't even have a road next to their home, which I don't see working. I like how they were in S2 (considerng there were animations of sims getting in and out of the car and sims sitting in the car with the music on as well). But this iteration?

I don't expect to see them compared to smaller modes of transport sims can just ride around on in one area.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I do not see this happening looking at how Sims 4 was developed especially at this stage of the game. :(
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Marnetti wrote: »
    I think the reason why drivable cars aren't practical is the lack of open world. You have to go through a loading screen just to visit your neighbor. Cars are pretty much useless because of that. I also think it is a shame they aren't a feature, but I don't see how they can be added to the game as it is.

There were cars in the Sims 2 though, and those were the best cars the Sims series had.

I agree however driving in the open world in Sims 3 was the next step and an viable one for me. I wouldn't however mind having Sims 2 way of using cars looking at how Sims 4 was developed with loading screens.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think the issue with cars in TS4 can be summed up as “where we’re going, we don’t need roads”. DeLorean, anyone? ;)

As others pointed out, there are too many areas in the worlds that don’t have roads or access for driveways or space for parking.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Where are you going to drive to? The loading screen. Apart from them being objects in a driveway I can't see much point.
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I too hope for cars some day, but I'm very skeptical we'll get any by this point.

I know we literally can't drive anywhere in The Sims 4, but just having a car and use it to go to work with would be really great. And maybe they could add cars for special npcs as well.

Just because we don't have an open world doesn't mean we can't have cars. It worked in The Sims 2.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Where are you going to drive to? The loading screen. Apart from them being objects in a driveway I can't see much point.
    • You can WooHoo in a car.
    • You can take them for spin around the immediate area if you have roads.
    • Having them around adds to immersion and aesthetic.
    • They could do something to give cars more to do, like giving us car races, competitions to show them off, or road trips.
    • Sims 2: FreeTime let us restore a car from scratch and customize its look.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    It's coming. These 5th anniversary stairs have renewed my hope.

I think that The Sims series is having its 20th anniversary this February 4th. Brace yourselves.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2019
    Gordy wrote: »
    • You can WooHoo in a car.
    • You can take them for spin around the immediate area if you have roads.
    • Having them around adds to immersion and aesthetic.
    • They could do something to give cars more to do, like giving us car races, competitions to show them off, or road trips.
    • Sims 2: FreeTime let us restore a car from scratch and customize its look.

I don't remember the much from the Sims 2. The restoration part in FreeTime sounds fun though. I wouldn't mind that.
  • GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    Would be nice, but I doubt it.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    For this installment of S4 I jsut don't see them being implemented correctly considering there's a majority of lots that don't even have a road next to their home, which I don't see working. I like how they were in S2 (considerng there were animations of sims getting in and out of the car and sims sitting in the car with the music on as well). But this iteration?

I don't expect to see them compared to smaller modes of transport sims can just ride around on in one area.

That's so true. I can't imagine cars working in many lots in TS4. Those beach lots in Brindleton Bay, the apartments in San Myshuno, and basically all the lots in Sulani and Windemburg. There's just no connection to road in many (maybe most) lots in the game.

In The Sims 2 all lots had to be connected to roads to allow the car animations. In The Sims 3 lots could be placed anywhere, but there were no car animations (they just popped up in the middle of the street). The way it worked in Sims 3 was fine because we had open worlds, so we could see.the car going all the way around, but considering we don't have open worlds in Sims 4, they would need animations like Sims 2, and I just can't see it happening.

It's a shame, but I don't think it will ever happen.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I don't remember the much from the Sims 2. The restoration part in FreeTime sounds fun though. I wouldn't mind that.
    Well, the car races, shows and road trips weren't in Sims 2. But everything else was. Sims 2's "take for a spin" was a rabbit hole, but since Sims 4 home lots are way more open, we could legit see them drive around.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    I'd even take a bike. I loved that in Sims 3, riding bicycles everywhere.
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Hello Simmers! Hello everyone at maxis! i miss my cars! and i can only hope that can happen in sims5, i'll wait for it! it would be real nice if a sims5 has open worlds like sims2 and 3, but if not, i'm not giving up on you all! if it has to be i would settle for bicycles, scooters, what about motorcycles? :)
  • simskeletonsimskeleton Posts: 605 Member
    I really hope it gets implemented, even with Sims 2 type animations. At least watching them drive down the road in Sims 2 was cool! Since sims 4 you can go jogging and see your sim running around the neighborhood, why not have a "take a spin" action like that? For going to different lots, they can at least drive down the driveway and down the road a little until it goes to the loading screen like in sims 2 and once they get to the destination, they can drive a little up to the location once it loads. If they don't have roads, they can put the car in there inventory (like boats in the sims 4 when they don't have a beach lot in Sulani). They can take the car out of the inventory when they get to a road where they can drive.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Is the real reason why they won't have open worlds in Sims 4 got to due with the fact that Sims 3 kept freezing up & that they still don't have the proper programming for Sims 4.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited September 2019
    Marnetti wrote: »

There were cars in the Sims 2 though, and those were the best cars the Sims series had.

There were, but when your Sim arrived, there was a place to park the car. No such place exists in any of the neighborhoods in Sims 4, so the car would have to go into your personal inventory. (Heck, a lot of residential lots don't have a place to park.) And having it only work as far as leaving your own lot really would make it pointless. They were almost pointless in Sims 2, and your Sims could/would happily walk anywhere.

I could only see a few ways for cars to be implemented in any fashion.
    1. Purely decorative and non -fuctional decorations you can use in your driveway to make the house look "complete." This could even include a buildable car.
    2. In a new neighborhood specifically designed with cars in mind, that includes parking spaces. Or has a train or subway you can take all over the neighborhood.
    3. A lot where your Sim can go race cars.

I dislike teleporting everywhere, it's weird. And I miss that "normal" aspect of play you get from having cars. But I just don't see it happening. It's obvious they didn't intend to have them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited September 2019
    dfstone wrote: »
    I'd even take a bike. I loved that in Sims 3, riding bicycles everywhere.

I could see bikes being easier to implement. They would just wheel around wherever Sims normally walked. I don't know how easy that would be to code in, but it seems easier than cars.

I really hope it gets implemented, even with Sims 2 type animations. At least watching them drive down the road in Sims 2 was cool! Since sims 4 you can go jogging and see your sim running around the neighborhood, why not have a "take a spin" action like that? For going to different lots, they can at least drive down the driveway and down the road a little until it goes to the loading screen like in sims 2 and once they get to the destination, they can drive a little up to the location once it loads. If they don't have roads, they can put the car in there inventory (like boats in the sims 4 when they don't have a beach lot in Sulani). They can take the car out of the inventory when they get to a road where they can drive.

This brings to mind the issue in Sims 3 where they would jet ski or take their scooter a way, then it would go into their inventory and they'd walk a bit, then they'd jump back on the jet ski or scooter and go a little further. Annoying as plum. And given the Sims issue in 4 with not being able to walk and use an umbrella without stopping constantly... I don't see this being an issue they'd avoid in Sims 4.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    Yeah it is kinda sad that we get boats, jet ski, now brooms before any kind of drivable vehicles. 5 years anniversary and we get stairs and other minor things. For god sake even the original sims had transportation in it and that was in the early 2000's here it is 2019 they can't even figure out how to implement transportation in this game. I thought we were more advanced now, I guess not.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Is the real reason why they won't have open worlds in Sims 4 got to due with the fact that Sims 3 kept freezing up & that they still don't have the proper programming for Sims 4.

Nobody knows why and if anything even if it was, EA/Maxis never tweaked the game as they should have and they are not tweaking Sims 4 as there are many bugs in the game that has yet to be addressed.