Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open Relationships in TS4

I think that one thing that needs to be added to TS4 is open relationships. "Ask to be in Open Relationship" should be a Romantic interaction once you have some amount of pink in the relationship bar (maybe 20? 25? 30?) that adds a new relationship-thingy (ex. Boyfriend/Girlfriend, Married, etc.) called "Open Relationship" (and of course in Mean there would be something turning it back to a normal relationship). The effects would be as follows, using Sim A and Sim B as our examples in an open relationship, Sim C as Sim A's romantic interest, and Sim D as Sim C's other romantic interest: If Sim A flirts with/woohoos with/etc. Sim C, Sim B won't be jealous/sad/whatever; if Sim A and Sim B are romantic in front of Sim C, Sim C will not be jealous/sad; if Sim C and Sim D are romantic, Sim A will not be jealous/sad; and if Sim A is noncommitical, while they have a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse that they are in an Open Relationship with, they will NOT have the Tense moodlet (I forget what it's called) coming from being in a relationship - maybe they even have a Happy moodlet for a bit after getting married/getting a boyfriend/girlfriend, "In Love, But Not Tied Down"! This would be a great addition to the game.

Comments

• jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    I like this idea, and have wanted something similar.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    edited July 2019
    Friends with benefits. But it should have a chance to fail badly asking Sims with the Soulmate Aspiration, the Unflirty, Jealous and maybe the Family-oriented and Gloomy Traits. Easiest should be with the Serial Romantic, the noncommittal and the romantic traits. Just thinking loud.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Open relationships would be a great addition.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I think we need closed relationships lol I feel like it's already open because my sim will cheat at the drop of a hat. And i thought they had a way you can make your significant other not become jealous but I didn't look into it.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    I want poly marriage.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited August 2019
    That would be very welcome, but...
    I think we need closed relationships lol I feel like it's already open because my sim will cheat at the drop of a hat. And i thought they had a way you can make your significant other not become jealous but I didn't look into it.

I feel that Sims 4 is so weak on the jealousy and rage systems. In Sims 2 even parents-in-law would be mad at the cheater. Your sim would hate the cheater for a long period (while their image was show red in the relationships menu.
    I want polyamory, but they need to make monogamy stronger for polyamory make any impact in this game.
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    Agreed. I wish we could somehow identify spouses as faithful or not, maybe similar to Parenthood values system where certain interactions and activities lead to gaining the trait. Faithful spouse not flirting with the first random townie they meet at the festival would be great.

As for polyamoury - I like the idea that it should be balanced by certain traits and aspirations, as in not every Sim would accept it.
  • IreneLudwigIreneLudwig Posts: 125 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    I feel that Sims 4 is so weak on the jealousy and rage systems. In Sims 2 even parents-in-law would be mad at the cheater. Your sim would hate the cheater for a long period (while their image was show red in the relationships menu.
    I want polyamory, but they need to make monogamy stronger for polyamory make any impact in this game.

Agreed. I've been searching for ways to make poly relationships work in S4, but I think we just need a romance overhaul. When I played the S2, I used to LOVE cheating :D Their reactions where so over the top! In the S4, spouses barely acknowledge being cheated on. It's disappointing, especially if you consider that the brand of S4 revolves around emotions and Sims being more "intelligent" than in the previous iterations of the game.

The only time I got a somewhat realistic/satisfying reaction to cheating was with these twin sisters, but maybe it has to do with the fact that they are both teens? I never had adult Sims react in this way when being cheated on: (screenshots in spoiler section)
    T0oIbyn.png

She actually started crying!
    03YnYvY.png
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member

Agreed. I've been searching for ways to make poly relationships work in S4, but I think we just need a romance overhaul. When I played the S2, I used to LOVE cheating :D Their reactions where so over the top! In the S4, spouses barely acknowledge being cheated on. It's disappointing, especially if you consider that the brand of S4 revolves around emotions and Sims being more "intelligent" than in the previous iterations of the game.

The only time I got a somewhat realistic/satisfying reaction to cheating was with these twin sisters, but maybe it has to do with the fact that they are both teens? I never had adult Sims react in this way when being cheated on: (screenshots in spoiler section)
    T0oIbyn.png

03YnYvY.png

Never seen that.
    Would be a good reason for them to add Wants & Fears to the game, as well as the Fear emotion. Hopeless romantic sims could feel the fear of being cheated when seeing their spouses talking to much with a certain sim. I really don't understand why Fear wasn't in the base game.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    That would be cool.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited August 2019
    And i thought they had a way you can make your significant other not become jealous but I didn't look into it.

The player trait does that. It's the reward trait for completing serial romantic.

Anyway, I wouldn't want something like this to work via existing traits. There's something fun about playing a non-committal, serial romantic sim who plays the field but still gets jealous when their partners cheat on them. I wouldn't want these sims to just not care about it at all. If they want to add it as like a dialogue option then fine I guess. Kind of destroys the entire purpose of the serial romantic aspiration though so
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member

T0oIbyn.png

03YnYvY.png

Never seen that.
    Would be a good reason for them to add Wants & Fears to the game, as well as the Fear emotion. Hopeless romantic sims could feel the fear of being cheated when seeing their spouses talking to much with a certain sim. I really don't understand why Fear wasn't in the base game.

I agree, we need a general romance overhaul, of which this could be a part. EA kind of passes off Tense as the Fear emotion - when there's a fire, for example, Sims get Tense - but I'm not really feeling that comparison.
    Cupid wrote: »
    And i thought they had a way you can make your significant other not become jealous but I didn't look into it.

The player trait does that. It's the reward trait for completing serial romantic.

Anyway, I wouldn't want something like this to work via existing traits. There's something fun about playing a non-committal, serial romantic sim who plays the field but still gets jealous when their partners cheat on them. I wouldn't want these sims to just not care about it at all. If they want to add it as like a dialogue option then fine I guess. Kind of destroys the entire purpose of the serial romantic aspiration though so

It would only be an option, if you wanted to have a "non-committal, serial romantic sim who plays the field but still gets jealous when their partners cheat on them" you totally could, just don't "Ask to be in Open Relationship."
  • AccidentalBoisAccidentalBois Posts: 31 Member
    That'd be so cool and useful, plus that would be good rep for polyamourous people and relationships.
  • Tossie666Tossie666 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited January 2020
    Hi people, I made a proposal video for EA to make the Sims 4 inclusive for polyamorous people. I want them to be able to marry more than one person and have the rights monogamous people have aka equal rights. Made a video about it called "Everything is made for two". Hopefully with some help this will reach the makes of the game, so they will make it inclusive for everyone!
    [Edited by EA_Mai - link to video removed]
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • Oddly enough, I agree, an open relationship should be an option, don't know why it isn't. I get wanting monogamous relationships irl but in a video game where you can do things you ordinaily wouldn't, it seems like the game only gives you the option for a serious relationship therefore giving any relationships your sims have a violent shove into seriousness coming out of the gate.
  • mariecelinedemariecelinede Posts: 2 New Member
    im looking for a way to stop my sims from getting jealous when they`re not in a relationship. It`s completely fine and valid if they get jealous when they`re actually together but is there really no way to have a friends with benefits kind of relationship? or maybe even poly relationships? i`d even download a mod for that but most mods related to this aren`t exactly what im looking for lmao
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited February 2020
    At the very least a no jealousy reward would be nice. I *think* we had one in Sims 3. I had a mod for that in Sims 2 so my romance Sims could actually meet their aspirations without jealousy making me have to start over all the time.
    It would allow more flexibility in your Sims' relationships.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    At the very least a no jealousy reward would be nice. I *think* we had one in Sims 3. I had a mod for that in Sims 2 so my romance Sims could actually meet their aspirations without jealousy making me have to start over all the time.

I'm confused guys, there is a no jealous reward trait after finishing the serial romantic aspiration; it will avoid other Sims getting jealous, so you can have relationships with a number of Sims at once without issue. There is also the jealous trait( you can pick in cas its the green eye), but I feel that it is wayyyy too much for me. My Sims can't even talk to her friends without their significant other getting mad.
    @NoirStasis Yes, there is a reward trait for that, but Open Relationships would be totally optional. You could absolutely try to complete the Serial Romantic aspiration or do whatever without being in an Open Relationship. This would just be a more "legitimate" way to do it (by legitimate I mean that it's okay and nobody would get mad).
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    NoirStasis wrote: »
    lisamwitt wrote: »

I'm confused guys, there is a no jealous reward trait after finishing the serial romantic aspiration; it will avoid other Sims getting jealous, so you can have relationships with a number of Sims at once without issue. There is also the jealous trait( you can pick in cas its the green eye), but I feel that it is wayyyy too much for me. My Sims can't even talk to her friends without their significant other getting mad.

I've never finished the serial romantic aspiration, so I didn't realize that. But, I'd like one as a reward for purchase, so any Sim can use it.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited February 2020
    I wouldn't be opposed to this as simmers don't have to use it if they don't want to. On the other side of this, I have asked for the faithful trait for a long time. Sims married, dating, or engaged with this trait would be upset if any romantic socials except, "Are you single?". This would also help all those simmers who have posted about their married folk not acting married. Adding these and step relationships and engaged to CAS relationships would be great.
    Post edited by davina1221 on
    I definitely agree, @davina1221, we definitely need an update to relationships and cheating in general before this could be added effectively.
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I can barely keep two sims in a normal relationship lol. Poly relationships/open relationships is something I am not into and maybe not agree with, don't know as I have never given it much thought. What ever floats your boat and all that, I am not here to judge and I listen to both side before I say yes or no so if this ever did happen I would love to learn more about it and how it would really work in gameplay but before all that can we get a better cheating/affair thing first?
    I loved in the sims 2 how if one sim caught the other cheating there would be this big drama going on and it showed how much the other sim was hurt. I feel like the sims 2 had more real relationships and emotions then the sims 4 does.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    The sims already flirt with whoever even when they're in a committed relationship. The sims can have an open relationship in the game.
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    The sims already flirt with whoever even when they're in a committed relationship. The sims can have an open relationship in the game.

That's... not what an open relationship is.

On topic, I've wanted this for a while now. I sometimes use a mod (one that I can't discuss here <_____<) to achieve this but it'd be nice to have without mods and without needing to complete the Serial Romantic aspiration (or cheating the "player" trait onto every participating sim). On that note, it may be a glitch in my game but I've noticed that, even if all sims have the player trait, there's still a relationship loss when a sim sees two sims they're involved with being romantic. No jealousy or negative moodlets, but they still get a relationship drop. Anyone else noticed this or is it really just in my game?