Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimLit Short Story Submission - Amersham (Excerpt)

Hi, guys. This is my very first submission for the Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge. This submission is for August 2019.

If you'd like to participate in the voting, voting is open for 7 days at the end of each month. The rules for voting, as stated on the forum thread linked above are: you must read all entries in both the Novice and Veteran categories and vote for your top 3 choices in both categories (any vote not containing 3 votes for each category will be thrown out).
augustbanner.png?w=584

This is an excerpt from a longer story that can be found here on my Tumblr. This excerpt submission is family friendly in compliance with the challenge rules. The longer version does contain a couple of panels that imply an adult situation (I would still rate it G, though).

Amersham (an excerpt)

338035ba92930c59a65869e15f717fee8620902b.png
Amersham has a sweetheart. Have you ever noticed how men who are in a relationship seem less threatening? For instance, women need not be apprehensive about romantic advances from a man who is taken. Additionally, both sexes tend to think of someone in a relationship as more stable, and therefore more reliable. People might not consciously think this, but there’s an underlying societal perception that makes others more comfortable if one is paired up. Have you noticed this? Amersham has.

b1c32ec844844a3a660b218dd3d2902b68752a9d.png
Amersham’s girl is named Nadine Dudley, and they meet Wednesdays at the market when they’re shopping for their respective households. She adores him. He enjoys this. Sometimes he gets jealous if another man talks to her for too long, but he and Nadine get along exceptionally well, really just swimmingly well.

fbb63f9d0eec524fecba2f4d43245f066f1b66f6.png
Except for sometimes. Nadine is keen to get engaged and feels that Amersham is putting her off. At times, she gets unreasonably cranky and is prone to whinge, that is, complain persistently (and in such a high-pitched voice that one who is far less kind than Amersham might describe it as “screechy”). Even the most patient person would be hard-pressed not to find this irritating.

f3eaa02277e79d122f65b0c7a86bc2bb670c3741.png
Amersham, though, keeps his cool. He reasons with her (as much as one can reason with a woman) that they’re both servants living in other people’s homes. Extremely nice homes. If they were to get married, where would they live? With their finances, probably in a tenement. Where would they work if they were no longer live-in servants? They have no other job skills. No. They must wait and save their money. “I want you to have a beautiful home and the wedding you always dreamed about. I only want to wait because I care so much about you.”

af42725dcd2aae2a28e4fd66f3fe985d414ea4ef.png
You wouldn’t guess it by looking at him, but Amersham is very good with words. His words, his gestures, the soothing tone of his voice—he has a way of making even the most determined opponent come around to his way of thinking. Nadine gives in and apologizes for being silly. Because they’re not engaged, they haven’t yet kissed (except on the cheek). So, he simply holds her close, runs his fingers through her cherry-red hair, and says, “That’s okay. I forgive you.”

Did you like this story? Read the full version.
BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    This is a very unique and lovely story. These two belong together, even if they don't get married.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Thank you for your feedback, @divanthesimmer :):):)
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 459 Member
    Nadine and Amersham are interesting characters. I like the larger social obstacles and conflicts you put in story (the two only being able to meet on Wednesdays and not being able to marry because they have nothing of their own). I'm interested in reading the longer story to see how this plays out. Great job @QueenofMyshuno
    7YZVoCi.png
    @Qnshr5 I love hearing what people think about my stories, so thank you so much 🙏 for your comment. 😁
  • MenaBuchnerMenaBuchner Posts: 179 Member
    That’s a little sneaky of him, poor Nadine 😊 Sweet story.
  • sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    This was super cute, and the longer work sounds interesting. Sounds like they live in a different sort of world where there is a class system of sorts. I feel bad for the two of them that they can’t get married when they want to. Life‘s circumstances can be cruel, but they love each other and patience will pay off, I’m sure.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
    @MenaBuchner Yes, Amersham is verrrry sneaky, haha. Thanks for your comment. :)
    @sweetnightingale Thank you for commenting! I love getting feedback, so it always makes my day. :)
  • sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    @sweetnightingale Thank you for commenting! I love getting feedback, so it always makes my day. :)

You’re welcome! I love getting feedback, too. Likes are great and I love them, but comments really make it special. ❤️
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
    Very nicely crafted story! Thank you for sharing. :)
    6qrDi11.png
  • J2JJ2J Posts: 8 New Member
    Oh, I’m rooting for their love so hard now! Definitely coming back to this story, nice choice :) -J2J
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Awww, how sweet. What an adorable couple. :D Hopefully things will work out - with each other. I've always been leary of more period pieces to get the look right in screenshots, but you nailed it. And that last picture is just darling.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    Ok, I counted 6 red flags. Nadine. Girl! Get out!
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    Awww. This is cute. I like the way it starts out about people in a relationship. Sweet story!
  • TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member
    This is both sweet and yet slightly disturbing. I love how its told in 3rd person... it adds an extra layer the way its written. But I have to say Nadine, no honey, go with your gut! Trust your instincts!
    Thank you so much, everyone, for your comments! You made my day.
    Ok, I counted 6 red flags. Nadine. Girl! Get out!

LOL. Good catch!
    This is both sweet and yet slightly disturbing. I love how its told in 3rd person... it adds an extra layer the way its written. But I have to say Nadine, no honey, go with your gut! Trust your instincts!

Haha, this comment cracked me up (and you are very perceptive)!