Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If they add cars (driving skill)

If cars are added I personally would LOVE it if driving was a skill, and not just for teens - I'd like my adult sims to learn to drive. I've given this a lot of thought:
They could book lessons one at a time with an NPC instructor who comes to the house and teaches them for a few hours, and then when they'd maxed the skill they could then 'unlock' the ability to drive on their own by going for a test (which would probably be a rabbit hole).
Maybe a series of chance cards would determine if they passed or failed, which could result in a confident or embarassed moodlet respectively.

What do you think? Would you like driving to be a skill, with NPC driving instructors?
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    That could work. Maybe a five level skill like bowling, but with some added perks. And maybe the potential when going from lot to another lot there would be chances of wrecks or tickets, depending on their skill.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I agree that driving as a skill for all ages would be cool. some adults might be perfect drivers, while others could have a higher risk. But - even if my sims had a driving skill - and a car - I don't quite see where they should drive...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    The game doesn't look suitable for cars. I suppose they could make a 64x64 lot as a racing circuit maybe? I'd definitely want tractors if we got a Farming expansion or game and they went on a track in Sims 3. (if I remember rightly).
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Yes! And I know lots of people think that cars are useless in the game because of closed world, etc, it could seriously work. Sims hope into the car, maybe buckle a toddler/baby into a car seat, then drive out of the driveway. The car would disappear, with a loading screen, and you would be taken to the world map. You would choose where to go, and the car would either park in a parking lot or on the side of the road. The sims would get out, and voila! And like some above people said, there could be a chance of getting into a wreck or a ticket. If you get a ticket, you'll just lose a hundred simoleans or so, and if you get into a crash there's a chance someone won't get out of it alive. And the car could be a new woohoo place!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Why are people saying cars are not suitable while we have boats in island living? #confused
  • tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    Cars would be so much fun! And it would be cool, if we could put some dents into a few cars. Like when when they a chance card, if they fail their car could get a little dent
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    That would be nice.
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Cars would be fun, but I'm not holding out hope for them. It's the one thing I miss in TS3, especially the cars from Fresh Prince Creations. My Sim had an Audi TT roadster for good weather, and a truck for when it rained.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • beautimousbeautimous Posts: 108 Member
    TS2 was a closed world and cars worked fine, so I dont think TS4's closed world (which is much more open than TS2 was) would be an issue.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    They better give them animations.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    edited September 2019
    When going for a drive we could see them start the car and drive off, and then the loading screen could be some sort of animated video clip showing a bit of the drive - if poor driving skills car could do some less steady maneuvers and there could be some random small situations depending on skill level, mood and needs (poor driving skill, angry and sleepy... might be fun to watch!). It shouldn't be that hard showing our sims' heads in the car window. The landscape/road/street/avenue/weather/season/daylight etc should of course be accurate, if they drive between two lots in Oasis Springs, I'd like to see the Oasis Springs landscape and not San Myshuno streets. Then after loading screen/video clip ends, we'll see them park and get out of the car. Quality of the ride could even give a moodlet.

Perhaps there could be an option whether we wanted to watch a longer video, or just as short as possible. I guess it would be fun the first 10 times, but from there not being as interesting unless the situation is particularly interesting. Or, unless they make these video clips kinda mini games where we (as the driving sim) could affect the driving somehow. Adding taxis could give even more variation, as we could not affect the driving.

Hm, I'm warming up...
    Post edited by Simmerville on
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • TaratagoreTaratagore Posts: 15 Member
    Would be fun , but im okay with out :)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Great idea! Would make the whole thing more challenging. I know this is something of a throwback to the 70s and before, but another skill could be 'shade tree mechanic' where sims do their own tune-ups and repairs. TS2 already has the foundation for it, so it's doable. Most of the guys I knew way back when did their own work, at least the basic things, and many did it all.

As for the thought it can't be done, TS2 had driveable cars even if the only animations were leaving and returning. If you took it downtown, you and car were there at the end of the loading screen. TS4 in game has cars going by on the streets all the time, so the set up is there - which is more than I can say for TS2 other than taxis and vacation vehicles. The only traffic seen was in neighborhood view.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2019
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Why are people saying cars are not suitable while we have boats in island living? #confused

The roads have pole blocks on a lot of them - there are no blockades (or fx in the Island water - there is in some of the worlds waters where fx boats travel and probably why they are not even swimmable) in the water for boats - but there are plenty in the different worlds. The roads that don't have them have fx vehicles using them and sims cars could not use fx pathing - they could not occupy the same space from my understanding.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• olvrbsnolvrbsn Posts: 45 Member
    edited September 2019
    BabySquare wrote: »
    and then when they'd maxed the skill they could then 'unlock' the ability to drive on their own by going for a test (which would probably be a rabbit hole).

How about being able to drive their own car even if they don't max the driving skill? :D I think it would be fun.
    They might make few mistakes like crashing the fence or trashcans on the street. So they have to pay for them!
    I wanna see what happens if teen sims accidentally breaking their parents' car. haha
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Really cool to see everyones ideas in here, I've moved this over to the Ideas section so that it's in the correct area. Carry on :)
  • AccidentalBoisAccidentalBois Posts: 31 Member
    I think there should be consequences for like tired driving as well or maybe some form of alcohol limit. Maybe add to the realism. Also maybe a career for it as a Formula 1 driver or something. There could be uber or Taxis as well.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Our City council have closed a lot of our main roads this month because Fast and Furious 9 is being filmed here so I'm keeping clear just in case I get run over! In honour of this I say we could have a MonteCarlo type race gamepack running around those tram and car tracks in game I suppose. De-commission those whilst race is on and re-program with our Sims Family cheering as the cars go by. :D
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I really like the idea of a driving skill. It could work the same was as Mentoring - if another adult SIm has maxed out their own Driving Skill, they can mentor Teens or other adult Sims.
    In the event that we'd get cars in a game pack, there could be a community lot that's a driving school, where Sims could go to learn to drive and improve their skill. Or even just head out of their own lot and come back with the skill raised. The neighbourhoods in a lot of places are big enough so we could follow them on short drives (the way we can follow them when they're jogging).

It would require adjustment to the existing worlds to enable cars, of course (removing road blocks and the current fx cars where necessary). But I'd say it's entirely doable.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Have jobs like professional stunt driver and race car driver too
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]