Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion Pack Idea ~ The Sims 4: Family Life

nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
edited August 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I came up with this idea while browsing the forums, and I thought it would be a perfect idea to post it! Feel free to add on and share your opinions.

CAS

CAS would include lots of clothes for children and even more for toddlers, more clothing good for teenagers, a few new kinds of facial hair that could be seen on a teenage boy, and some clothes good for elders. And the ability to create two new lifestages- babies and preteens/tweens!

B/B

Build/Buy Mode could include new activities for kids, and not just the drawing and science tables. Actual, completely new things! Lots of child, teen, toddler, and elder specific items could be added.

World

The new would could be inspired by places in England, I think this is fitting because the only livable worlds that aren't stereotypically American (coming from an American) are Selvadorada and Windenburg, and I don't see a family pack featuring a world from anywhere but North America or Europe.

Babies

Babies can now officially be made in CAS, though they're not quite out of that crib just yet. Babies are still unplayable, just like Cats and Dogs, but the cribs, despite taking up only one space of the floor, now have a space of 6x6. There are changing table objects, baby bath objects, and highchair objects that can all be placed inside that 6x6 space, and they are all usable. This does not free the baby from it's crib, but also makes them much more worthwhile. The lifestage now lasts 5 days instead of just 3.

Preteens/Tweens

Preteens/Tweens are right inbetween the teenager and child lifestates. It's length is inbetween toddler and child, lasting around 10 days. They go to middle school and have new, special interactions such as "Attempt to Impress" for teenagers, "Tease" to babies, toddlers, and children, etc.

Elders

Elders should receive a small overhaul, which includes a new venue type, retirement homes, that they can go to as soon as they retire from their jobs until death. There is also a new game, bingo, which can be played on the new bingo table.

School

The school system is now active. It's pretty simple, but adds a lot more depth to the game. Children go to Elementary School, Preteens/Teens go to Middle School/Jr. High, and Teens go to High School.

Other Stuff

New events, such as prom, graduation, and sleepover could be added. I also think it would be super cute if couches got a new interaction, called "sleep on", that just gives less energy than a bed would but more than a nap would, along with a couple blankets on top of whoever is sleeping.

This is a link to a thread that I think has great ideas as well, though it might make this to full for an Expansion Pack: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/964947/divorce-having-a-bigger-impact-on-families-why-how-and-what-it-should-involve#latest

Idea Credits:

http:/https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/906981/better-baby-stuff-pack/p1
funny-gifs20.gif

Comments

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    A lot of this sounds nice, and I'd definitely like to see a lot of this in an actual pack, however babies still being locked to the cribs is the biggest turn off. If they actually ever give them an official overhaul, I think they definitely need to be separated from the crib. One of the things that bothers me the most about babies being stuck in the bassinet is that they don't feel like part of the family that way. They feel like what they currently are, an object that stays in one place and can easily be forgotten about. Separating them from the crib and treating them as an actual sim is the best way to remedy that imo.

Additionally, I think learning to crawl and taking the first few steps should be there. The reason being because that stage of life isn't represented at all in the games currently. They pop out of the bassinet and then all of a sudden they're walking around just fine. I'd really like to see them learning to crawl and become mobile before aging into toddlers.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I swear, I think I'm the only one that doesn't need to see freaking preteens. There's nothing I did as a preteen that was unique to my preteen years, unlike my teen/childhood years.

And imo, we don't need a longer baby life stage. They're already annoying enough, and no amount of clothes or objects is going to change that for me.
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Want.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Want it so bad I can taste it :D
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    A lot of this sounds nice, and I'd definitely like to see a lot of this in an actual pack, however babies still being locked to the cribs is the biggest turn off. If they actually ever give them an official overhaul, I think they definitely need to be separated from the crib. One of the things that bothers me the most about babies being stuck in the bassinet is that they don't feel like part of the family that way. They feel like what they currently are, an object that stays in one place and can easily be forgotten about. Separating them from the crib and treating them as an actual sim is the best way to remedy that imo.

Additionally, I think learning to crawl and taking the first few steps should be there. The reason being because that stage of life isn't represented at all in the games currently. They pop out of the bassinet and then all of a sudden they're walking around just fine. I'd really like to see them learning to crawl and become mobile before aging into toddlers.

I agree, but this is EA we're talking about. I was trying to be realistic, with at least one aspect of this game.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Even though I'm rarely a family player, I'd love to see a generational EP get released. I doubt we'd see a new life state added as that would mean a lot of resources going solely into creating new assets and animations for them. Personally I'd rather have resources go into game play for existing life states instead.

We already have a parenthood pack, so I'd like to see a pack like this focus less on family dynamics and more on activities for each generation to do together or separately. It could add a whole slew of new hobbies from knitting to making mud pies in the dirt.

I can see them adding bikes for all ages, scrapbooking photos, a stroller to take toddlers on walks, rocking chairs, bunk beds, tea parties for children, sleepovers, more playground equipment, elders passing on wisdom and skills, garage bands, skate boards with ramps, and perhaps even a playable daycare for your sims to run. Overall, just more for each generation to do.

New events could include funerals, improved weddings, and sleepovers.

A nice suburban neighborhood type world would be nice (maybe European or Australian to add some diversity), with streets and sidewalks where kids can ride their bikes and play hopscotch.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited August 2019
    mhm mixed feelings

dislike idea of preteens in my game because I don't see anything they could do that kids or teens don't do
    and i never felt like there is between stage in real life either like ur either teen or kid and thats about it :confused:

I'd rather have this importance order for life stages/family pack if there was one

1.Elders
    2. Babies
    3. Older Adults
    4. Teens
    5. Kids
    6. YA

Elders and older adults have like nothing to do in the game at the moment
    so I'd give them loads of gameplay (bingo, knitting, walking canes, middleage crisis...)

and babies well, even if in crib could have more depth like op also suggested

teens could have first crushes and proms maybe teen aspirations? they're bit too similar to ya

kids could have some stuff too like tree houses idk not too fussed personally
    surely someone else could name more things than me when it comes to kids

YA? maybe something small though almost every pack is ya pack so idk
    (keep slipping to romance or uni packs which well should be separate packs obviously)
    maybe some ... juice would be in order
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    There needs to be an age between adult and elder.
    Adults are still having babies, while elders have one foot in the grave. Where's the middle-age transition?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Co-sign this idea.

I do think that babies should be unlocked from their cribs though. We do have a mechanic for Sims not leaving a community or neighbour lot without their toddler, so there should be no issue to set up the same way (I think the biggest problem is technical: how to switch from what's essentially an object with encoded genetic data into a proper Sim). I'd love to see prams or strollers or baby carriers that Sims can bring a baby in to places outside of their lot. Even if babies would not have the "Put Down Here" interaction (with exceptions for baby-specific objects like a changing table or a high chair), it would be an improvement. Though I'd prefer the basics of it being included in base game.

I swear, I think I'm the only one that doesn't need to see freaking preteens. There's nothing I did as a preteen that was unique to my preteen years, unlike my teen/childhood years.

And imo, we don't need a longer baby life stage. They're already annoying enough, and no amount of clothes or objects is going to change that for me.

I think the biggest draw of preteens for me isn't so much "but it's such an important life stage irl" as it is the massive jump from Child to the current Teen stage visually right now. A stage between that would make the transition less harsh. Granted, had Teens not just been mini-YA Sims, this wouldn't have been an issue at all & I'd be right there with you.

The baby stage being longer would make sense once there's actually stuff to do with them away from the crib.

Maybe the general lifespan could get an overhaul. As is, (with Seasons, on a 7 day season cycle and the long lifespan) Sims age into Elders at the ripe ol' age of 53 Sim years, which is just... wow. Extending the life stages by a day or two, adding the Preteen stage and maybe an Older Adult/Senior stage (no more ability to be pregnant, looks somewhere between Adult and Elder) would extend the general Sim lifespan to something a little more realistic.

I'd rather see the school system be fully developed in its own pack to include a Teacher/Professor career, so keeping schools as rabbit holes wouldn't bother me. But I'd love to see a bigger variety of after-school activities: sports clubs, chess club, choir/marching band, cheerleading, martial arts etc.

Having a family-focused world would be fun (yes please on the non-American one). There could be a big shopping center/mall community lot with editable units (instead of the whole lot being editable) for retail spaces or cafes, a bowling alley (for those who have the pack) and/or a cinema. And a kiddie area for toddlers and children to be left at (a daycare center maybe?). Have the parent/carer Sim get a call if their kids' needs are dropping low to they go pick up their child.

Oh and please please include the ability for children to take dogs on walks, thank you.
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    edited August 2019
    I want to see middle age sims and midlife crises and more/better graying hair swatches.
    Post edited by jadonbakes on
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member

I agree with you on both counts. I would much rather see improvements to toddlers, kids and teens than have babies removed from the crib or a new life stage added. I would also like something specific to Elders.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

I agree with you on both counts. I would much rather see improvements to toddlers, kids and teens than have babies removed from the crib or a new life stage added. I would also like something specific to Elders.

Honestly, I played Sims3 the other day day, and even then, the babies I played stayed in the crib. I did like that I could SEE THEIR NEEDS though.
  • gameliagamelia Posts: 703 Member
    edited August 2019
    Best ideas I've read so far in this thread:
    • Retirement homes for elders [Oh my word, yes, PLEASE!]
    • New world inspired by England [Honestly, any world not American-ish will be a refreshing change.]
    • Better gray hair swatches [yes!]
    • Funerals [Or memorial services . . . excellent idea! Sims could get a Cathartic Release moodlet to counteract their sadness.]
    --+++ Simming since 2000. All packs. All in! +++--
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited August 2019

I agree, but this is EA we're talking about. I was trying to be realistic, with at least one aspect of this game.

@nerdfashion @ListentoToppDogg I used to hate so much when my Sims left the babies laying on the floor... Its so annoying. But making them objects is even worse.
    They don't need to be stuck to the crib to avoid being tossed to the floor, the devs should just add something to the codes that even books are lacking. Sometimes i put my sim to read something and they jsut leave the book everywhere, but MCCC has a thing where our sims will directly towards the closest bookshelf to put it back after reading it. Thats just what babies need, a better coding than usually is done.
    They gave us object-babies because thats the cheapest and easiest solution, not the smartest.
    edited August 2019
    Karon wrote: »

@nerdfashion @ListentoToppDogg I used to hate so much when my Sims left the babies laying on the floor... Its so annoying. But making them objects is even worse.
    They don't need to be stuck to the crib to avoid being tossed to the floor, the devs should just add something to the codes that even books are lacking. Sometimes i put my sim to read something and they jsut leave the book everywhere, but MCCC has a thing where our sims will directly towards the closest bookshelf to put it back after reading it. Thats just what babies need, a better coding than usually is done.
    They gave us object-babies because thats the cheapest and easiest solution, not the smartest.

idk personally i love my sims leaving books all over so i at least have something to clean (there is far too few things to clean for my sims)

and well babies on floor is bit more annoying but still could deal with it
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd actually prefer no world on a pack like this it would just demolish the budget spend it on new animations and the babies should be released in the patch that would come with a pack like this since they're base game.
    Simmingal wrote: »

dislike idea of preteens in my game because I don't see anything they could do that kids or teens don't do
    and i never felt like there is between stage in real life either like ur either teen or kid and thats about it :confused:
    So you're either a small child playing with toys one day or a fully grown adult messing around the next day interesting.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I'd definitely buy a pack like this
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

edited August 2019
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I'd actually prefer no world on a pack like this it would just demolish the budget spend it on new animations and the babies should be released in the patch that would come with a pack like this since they're base game.

So you're either a small child playing with toys one day or a fully grown adult messing around the next day interesting.

I mean it totally depends how you play your sims
    and the actual gameplay is already there for kids and teens to achieve ''preteen'' you are talking about
    since they don't do anything that kids or teens don't

its very easy to make kids appear bit older or teens appear bit younger
    and I think the overall what kids/teens do and don't do in the lifestage depends on their personality

there is teens that don't ''mess around'' and kids that prefer to just play with toys no matter the age

kids that grow up faster or slower than other kids and kids that never really become stereotypical teen or whatever

and also I can make it so they gradually change behavior even if inside the lifestage

meaning kids may start with playing with toys and then become more involved in school and hobbies closer to end
    and teens might start up child like and become more ''social'' and ''rebellious'' closer to end of lifestage

I don't see why there needs to be extra lifestage when they could just improve the existing ones
    especially since for me tween seems just purely cosmetic difference I don't need in my game

I mean if I saw 13 year old irl I would not think ''its a tween'' i would just think ''its a kid''
  • LunarBLunarB Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm one of those Sims players that get the most enjoyment from filling up neighborhoods and building homes. I invariably bulldoze all existing homes and rebuild. Sometimes it's sad to have to remove ones I really like so I would LOVE to be able to purchase neighborhood packs. Towns and cities that you can renovate and populate.
    LunarB wrote: »
    I'm one of those Sims players that get the most enjoyment from filling up neighborhoods and building homes. I invariably bulldoze all existing homes and rebuild. Sometimes it's sad to have to remove ones I really like so I would LOVE to be able to purchase neighborhood packs. Towns and cities that you can renovate and populate.

Wrong discussion! I think you might have clicked this one on accident.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    Please no active school or preteens, not sure about babies since I tend to age them up right after birth, but other ideas sound great. We really need more gameplay objects for kids
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Please no active school or preteens, not sure about babies since I tend to age them up right after birth, but other ideas sound great. We really need more gameplay objects for kids
    But why no active school why should adult Sims be the ONLY Sims that can be followed and played throughout their lives.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    edited August 2019
    But why no active school why should adult Sims be the ONLY Sims that can be followed and played throughout their lives.

active school is fine as long as it is optional and there is option of rabbit hole school if you just want your sims off lot and have fun with other family meanwhile

I had school mod before but it got tiresome after a while so i sort of understand not wanting it though

active school is fine as long as it is optional and there is option of rabbit hole school if you just want your sims off lot and have fun with other family meanwhile

I had school mod before but it got tiresome after a while so i sort of understand not wanting it though

I did mean active school as in it's like active careers. Optional! Except it's just as hard to boost your grade when you choose not to follow as when you do.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2019
    @nerdfashion
    I was worried about how active school would look like with more than one child of same age range in the family, because with active adult careers, you can't control more than one sim at the time and they won't even go to the same place despite being coworkers. Would it be the same for children, not going to the same school as their siblings anymore?