Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Buying Realm of Magic?

Comments

• WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Yes
    Busufu wrote: »

Huh, why can't Vampires practise magic???

Everything except for decorating with brooms and cooking with Cauldrons are exclusive to Spellcasters which is a new species/Lifestate
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Yes
    WolfNate wrote: »

Everything except for decorating with brooms and cooking with Cauldrons are exclusive to Spellcasters which is a new species/Lifestate

That makes sense.
    It's no big deal anyway, I'll practise magic with the cute Sim from your avatar <3:D.

Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
    Yes
    That makes sense.
    It's no big deal anyway, I'll practise magic with the cute Sim from your avatar <3:D.

I know Newt Simmer is adorable I wonder what his name be. Also he'll probably be a Maxis download. I don't know if he'll be one of 6 premades
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    No
    BabySquare wrote: »

I very much doubt I'd have any use for the gameplay it adds, as the only sims I play who I would like to practise magic are my vampires, which I've learnt isn't possible. :'( ...

Apparently magic us only available to spellcasters, which is a separate life state/species. I'm pretty mad about it.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    Yes

Apparently magic us only available to spellcasters, which is a separate life state/species. I'm pretty mad about it.

Nothing wrong with that tbh

No

Nothing wrong with that tbh

Eh, depends how you feel about it. I would rather magic could be available to everyone, and therefore not include a new life state.
    It seems as though most TS4 packs have one massive let down; I'm still upset that seasons didn't include mist and fog, but I still bought it because I wanted all the features it did include.
    Here I'm upset that vampires can't practise magic, and I'm very unlikely to buy this pack because that is all I wanted to do with it.
    Yes
    Eh, depends how you feel about it. I would rather magic could be available to everyone, and therefore not include a new life state.
    It seems as though most TS4 packs have one massive let down; I'm still upset that seasons didn't include mist and fog, but I still bought it because I wanted all the features it did include.
    Here I'm upset that vampires can't practise magic, and I'm very unlikely to buy this pack because that is all I wanted to do with it.

Frankly I'm shocked so many people are annoyed never once did I expect magic to be free
    No

Frankly I'm shocked so many people are annoyed never once did I expect magic to be free

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by free, but the last time I had anything to do with magic in the sims was in makin' magic in sims 1 - in that EP magic was a craft that anyone could aquire - and I much prefer that approach.
    Yes
    @BabySquare 'free' as any state can do it
    No
    @BabySquare 'free' as any state can do it

Thank you for the clarification.

I don't see why not; yes vampires for example, have their own powers/weaknesses/levels structure, but think about it, so does the sims 4 celebrity system, and you can have a vamp sim who's a celebrity - gameplay dynamics allow you to balance both systems for the same sim so why not be able to balance tha vamp system with the magic system?
    Yes

I don't see why not; yes vampires for example, have their own powers/weaknesses/levels structure, but think about it, so does the sims 4 celebrity system, and you can have a vamp sim who's a celebrity - gameplay dynamics allow you to balance both systems for the same sim so why not be able to balance tha vamp system with the magic system?

Yeah but 3 systems at once would not be fun. Not to mention probably be hard on the mechanical side of things

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Yes
    Of course, I decided to buy this 5 years ago! 😂
    Yes
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I'm lucky I bought 4 last year so this isn't a long of a wait as you
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Yes
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I'm lucky I bought 4 last year so this isn't a long of a wait as you

Well the last days are a long road for all of us to suffer through together :( glad we're soon entering the single digits again <3
    No

Yeah but 3 systems at once would not be fun. Not to mention probably be hard on the mechanical side of things

Maybe, maybe not. If 2 systems per sim is the limit then it would be nice to have a choice as to which two, if vamp and celebrity can be combined, and celebrity and magic can be combined, then I think vamps and magic should also be able to be combined.

Not forgetting, mermaids and aliens don't even have such a system, yet they can't use magic either.
    Yes
    I'm one of few people it seems that doesn't care magic is a LS
    No
    Another point I forgot to make;

Any sim can learn vampire lore, not just vampires. There are ways for human sims to contact aliens - you don't have to be an alien to do it. All sims can swim in the sea - imagine if when Island Living came out, only mermaids were able to swim in the sea in Sulani.

IMO restricting magic to a specific life state is very limiting.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes

I'm really disappointed about this too, as well as child sims once again being left out of occult gameplay. I wasn't at all surprised, but I was hoping alchemy at least would be a skill that my vampire could learn just as all sims could in TS3 and can learn vampire lore. I agree it is very limiting. It doesn't make much sense to me, particularly as vampires and witches are actually the same thing in some folklore. I am still looking forward to RoM, but it is a shame and it does feel a little lazy to me. I can't help but hope that vampires will be able to become spellcasters at some point, but it feels unlikely. :'(
    No

It doesn't make much sense to me, particularly as vampires and witches are actually the same thing in some folklore.

Good point. Also consider magic IRL; whether you believe in it or not, magic tricks, witchcraft, voodoo, mediumship etc are things that anyone can get into doing should they want to.
    Yes
    Yeah well this is more based off Charmed, Harry Potter and Sabrina where witches are biologically speaking a sub species of humans thus magic is a state you must be born into. Fact we can be turned into a Caster is just the sims letting us not have to be limited to CAS created only.
    edited August 2019
    No
    Yeah well this is more based off Charmed, Harry Potter and Sabrina where witches are biologically speaking a sub species of humans thus magic is a state you must be born into. Fact we can be turned into a Caster is just the sims letting us not have to be limited to CAS created only.

Yes, and I think therein lies the problem.
    With vampires, you could create the classic nosferatu; avoids garlic, burns in the sun, sleeps in a coffin (Vlad) or you could have a good vampire who can go in the sun, sleep in a bed etc (Caleb) or anything inbetween - they put a lot of effort into the versitility of what kind of vamp you wanted.

Magic is a broad term; it can be Penn & Teller style tricks, rabbits in hats and decks of cards. It can also mean cultural/ritualistic stuff like witchcraft and voodoo. It can also include things like mediumship, ouija boards and contacting the dead.

This packs lacks the versitility that vampires have; these sims can do magic, but these, these and these sims can't/ do magic Harry Potter style or don't do it at all.
    Yes

Yes, I get that but I still wish we as players had more options. One of the things I love about Vampires is that it allows the player to base their vampire more or less on whatever lore they wish. I would have liked a magic skill, but I understand most people seemed to prefer magic as a life state, which I accept. I am not against the idea of magic being inherited, but I don't see why a vampire couldn't inherit magic, in fact part of my original story was that my vampire had magic somewhere in his bloodline. I just think it would have been more fun if other occults could become spellcasters or sims that aren't spellcasters could at least learn some form of magic or skill, such as alchemy. That is just me though.
    Yes
    In one thread everyone's arguing over the term for lifestate this one everyone's annoyed at fact you can't have a vampire with a harry potter wand and a pet dragon... Seesh!
    Yes
    In one thread everyone's arguing over the term for lifestate this one everyone's annoyed at fact you can't have a vampire with a harry potter wand and a pet dragon... Seesh!

Haha, I'm sorry! Please ignore me. I'm British so I love a good moan. I am still excited for the pack. I am more of a vampire and old folklore fan, but I am very happy for all the magic fans. It's been a long wait. :)
    Yes
    So let me go on a tangent here about my thinking.

So this is a game pack focused exclusively on a new life state. Thus the resources used are dedicated to the gameplay the pack will bring and decor that anyone can use. The fact it's a 'species' is actually a good thing. This way they can create a detailed system for magic and make this life state as in depth as vampires. If they made it more like Makin Magic it be very limited in scope and in Sims 2 magic was both a life state and an ability thus anyone can be a witch. Here however the team is making it exclusively to one species. Fact alchemy is Witch only is a bit odd but you can't deny that SIXTY-FOUR magical abilities are impressive!

25 Abilities to buy via Power List (ala Vampires)
    24 Spells to learn (hopefully without need for reagents)
    15 Potions to brew.
    The Return of Dueling!
    Spirit Animals based off the Kids Stuff Pack Pokemon parody.

There is a lot to love here if you're into the occult and fact you can't be a spellcasting vampire makes perfect sense to me. (As the fact Casters don't have a second form)